Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield Bypassing Hp Damage - Unwanted

Kryogeneva

I usually tend to be very cynical and snarky once I get going, so in advance, I'd like to apologize. ---

I continually find myself coming back to the game to see if the changes are in a direction that I like. What stops me every time is the fact that certain enemy abilities, and a few traps, directly assert their damage on my HP, instead of on my shields. And this damage trend increases with each iteration of the game.

This time, I played the new Breeding Grounds. I found myself dead or near dying every match. Even though I am mastery level 12, with fully forma'd frames and weaponry, as well as top ranked mods, I still have trouble acting and reacting fast enough to deal with all the different damage types that can suddenly find their way into my HP. I thought, at first, that I was just rusty. That was until my buddy, who plays pretty regularly, hopped on and was dying pretty much at the same rate. He didn't really notice the change, since it was gradual. For me, it was like a hammer blow. A hammer blow I feel each time I come back to test out the changes.

This direct hp damage would not normally bother me if health orbs were plentiful, or if it weren't so counter intuitive to use health packs. But, as it stands, you rush madly about to complete the objectives in a timely, efficient manner. You run through gas clouds, or turn a corner into a toxic ancient, or a corpus with energy weapons that bypass shields, or a grineer that manages to proc a nasty bleed effect, etc etc.

Creating classes that use abilities to counteract these damage types is silly on a solo and public games level, where most of the action happens. Oboron and Trinity have their uses in coop team play. But in a public game, no one wants to go in thinking "Oh man, I hope we have a trinity, or we're in for a death fest!". And in solo, no one wants to be forced to use a frame they do not particularly like just to get the mission done efficiently and with the least aggravation.

Solo play, I usually stick to Rhino. Nightmares, Rhino. Grineer missions, Rhino. Infested missions, Rhino, Ember, or Nyx. Everything else, Rhino or Nyx.

And I hate playing males. Which says something about Rhino.

So, I offer a potential look from a few standpoints:

The elitist answer is: "Just bring health restore packs!"

The noob answer is: "Give us all a self heal!"

My answer: "Keep it like every other successful FPS ever, and either apply all damage at shields, or step up the HP orb drops."

Another way would make the crafted consumables less cumbersome. Some people have no issue opening the menu and cycling between different things, but I find it extremely counter intuitive. It just doesn't... flow like the rest of the game does.

P.S. - Unrelated but related...

Also, things seem to be getting more and more ridiculous in the damage department, and quickly getting out of balance. An osprey I didn't even know existed (behind me) zooms up and BOOOOM... wut happened? Am I dead? Or, sometimes something farts, and a barely visible green cloud appears, and most of my HP just melts away.  Or, I get shot by something, anything, and have to wonder if I got bleed procced or not, and cant really care, because there is nothing I can really do about it.

INB4 someone replies, because I don't ever come back and read my forum posts. I offer my input, if someone takes it and likes it, or wants to expand on it, go ahead, or if someone completely disagrees, that is also awesome. The point is to spark a conversation, and simply posting this will at least set someones mind turning.

TL;DR? HP dmg effects IMBA, Nerf.

I only skimmed through this, but it seems you don't really know how to play. For one, you're using Rhino for everything. Noob mistake. Yes, he's op as hell, but those who JUST play rhino for Iron Skin really don't know how to play.

Secondly, the only Shield bypassing damage type is toxic, so you need to get rid of those things. If you aren't paying attention, you WILL die. So if everything is hitting your heath, get better mods, and pay attention to whats happening around you.

I agree with storm.
You just dont know how to play.
you specifically said "rush in a timely manner to complete objectives" when the point of the game is to stay with teamates, and obviouselly. since there was a new thret.
rather then go
"LOL ROFLZORENCOPTER THROUGH THE MAP IM OP FAST"
then die because you're to stupid to look where you're going first

you actually have to slow down and look.
the green cloud is easily visable on my screen, and I play with the lowest graphics setting.
Second, the damage types make moding your frame more interesting.
rather then the same old copy past beta build
flow-redirection-vitality-steel fiber-streamline- intensity - 4 frame mods

you actually have to pick and choose what you want
"Add toxic resistance because of the new enemy? add electrical resistance because of arc traps? use codex to scan ahead for traps, and enemies?"
Theres a verity of ways to counter your "IM RHNIO AND I RUSH MISSIONS WITH IRONSKIN, UNLESS ITS DEFENSE THEN I USE NYX AND SIT BACK" mind set .

I only skimmed through this, but it seems you don't really know how to play. For one, you're using Rhino for everything. Noob mistake. Yes, he's op as hell, but those who JUST play rhino for Iron Skin really don't know how to play.

Secondly, the only Shield bypassing damage type is toxic, so you need to get rid of those things. If you aren't paying attention, you WILL die. So if everything is hitting your heath, get better mods, and pay attention to whats happening around you.

This.

the playerbase is exposed once again as being way too coddled and unable to adapt or make any changes... all of this crying over something that you can fix yourself. stop using caster mods and use tank mods. its really not difficult.

im gonna go with the rest of the guys posting in this and similar threads... a whole lot of you all need to get and take some L2P supplements, because you are severely lacking in the skillset dept

Right. Go on then. Put your D regen aura on your V or - polarity frame.

Or you could be a bro and pick a frame you know has a D polarity frame when you know you will encounter toxic hazards. . . Like Trinity for example. Not only do you get health-regen, but you can be a bro and heal people who get too close to the death-line! 

You will probably say something like "Oh, but I don't want to be forced to play Trinity as soon as I am going to play something that contains toxic hazards!", well the beauty of that is that you can also just slap Life Strike on your melee weapon and you're good to go. 

Shield ignoring damage is awful. Getting whittled down in survival, or surprise-clouded in gas asks for viability of having shields at all. Shields in WARFRAME are circumstantial mods now. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't.

The whole idea of shields in games is that you have energy shields giving you a buffer of invulnerability against all types of damage, maybe apart from mind control effects or the like.

Using the shield buffer (in other games) wisely means you can sustain hit-and-run approaches, or leave a mission unscathed if you are skillful.

The current system heaviliy slants choice of warframe towards other sources of defense apart from shields. A Warframe like MAG who relies heavily on high shield scaling seems like a bad joke played upon, when the enemies he excels in defeating are the same ones that will deal direct damage to the poorly scaling HP.

All "squishy" frames are heavily devaluated in viability, as the secondary option of avoiding direct damage to health and building for shields and fast movement instead, like most other game systems use, is taken away.

As the most "squishy" frames are the highest damage frames in general this choice of game design is understandable but deplorable.

Shield ignoring damage is awful. Getting whittled down in survival, or surprise-clouded in gas asks for viability of having shields at all. Shields in WARFRAME are circumstantial mods now. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't.

The whole idea of shields in games is that you have energy shields giving you a buffer of invulnerability against all types of damage, maybe apart from mind control effects or the like.

Using the shield buffer (in other games) wisely means you can sustain hit-and-run approaches, or leave a mission unscathed if you are skillful.

The current system heaviliy slants choice of warframe towards other sources of defense apart from shields. A Warframe like MAG who relies heavily on high shield scaling seems like a bad joke played upon, when the enemies he excels in defeating are the same ones that will deal direct damage to the poorly scaling HP.

All "squishy" frames are heavily devaluated in viability, as the secondary option of avoiding direct damage to health and building for shields and fast movement instead, like most other game systems use, is taken away.

As the most "squishy" frames are the highest damage frames in general this choice of game design is understandable but deplorable.

The shield is only there to give you some extra time to react to make a decision which includes you not dying. If you don't make that split-second decision count or fast enough, you will die. You are not supposed to completely rely on the shields to keep you alive, or else there wouldn't be any point to the HP/Armor system in the game. 

Ironically, all the squishy frames become the most viable when you start meeting enemies 40+ since by that point HP and shield levels really don't matter much, because that's where movement and clever play starts counting. 

Edited by TwiceDead

"squishy" frames can get a respectable amount of health with a vitality and a vigor equipped. have you EVER used said mods? health also lasts a lot longer with Steel Fiber.

hopefully the days of pansy tanking with 1 mod slot are over. our enemies ARE trying to kill us, after all.

"oh wow its difficult i cant stand a challege i have to rant on the forums right this second that this game is too hard"

please see how insane you people sound 

Sometimes they are fair though. I can recall Grineer Scorpion's hit-scan completely unavoidable grappling-hook's as if they were yesterday. 

In this case though, it's insane yeah. 

As long as your posts contain ad hominem inflections and do not address the difference between two game design approaches that were pointed out, do not expect another in-depth explanation even if you quote me.

Making gear decisions that can ultimately put the player in a situation where the match is impossible to finish is bad design. But poison is not one of those. While I dislike the poison and bleed proc greatly, I dislike it as the player, not as a designer. I see the niche they are trying to fill and I can acknowledge this iteration of the design as an attempt at creating that enemy. It's a bit of variety, but not a type that is appreciated by a subset of the community because of (as I have noticed a few players obviously feel) the removal of player agency as their health ticks down to 0 on their favorite tuned frame.

In a game world full of space ninja demi-gods, getting killed by a flying fart tumor seems to stretch a few player's suspension of disbelief, mine included. 

Edited by Hyperius

the playerbase is exposed once again as being way too coddled and unable to adapt or make any changes... all of this crying over something that you can fix yourself. stop using caster mods and use tank mods. its really not difficult.

im gonna go with the rest of the guys posting in this and similar threads... a whole lot of you all need to get and take some L2P supplements, because you are severely lacking in the skillset dept

This.

I've been taking my severely squishy frames into these missions and doing fine.

What I think the topic-creator (and other whiners) problems boil down to is that the new mission is so colorful and frantic they're too bewildered to actually look for the enemies dumping viral and poison attacks at them.

When I first tried the mission I literally could not tell what was going on. DE wanted to make a scary and confusing tileset and they succeeded. The tunnels, crumbling architecture, flickering red lights and other effects made it very hard to understand what was happening.

But once you've dont it a few times, you LEARN (practice, something players hate now because they're casuals) what to look out for.

Which means I've been able to take my very squishy frames (whom I prefer for their utility) into these missions now and come out relatively unscathed without a viral/poison bukkake hitting me in the face because I know what to look out for.

Like most complaint threads, this is another one that needs 50cc's of GIT GUD.