Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mutalist Ospreys: Obviously Not Challenging, Just Annoying.

Sarmon

HUGE NOTE TO REMEMBER WHILE READING THIS THREAD: This thread is about the toxic cloud charge ability of the Mutalist Osprey. Adding your thoughts on how bad their hitbox is doesn't add anything to the this discussion and that's a bug more likely than anything. Please attempt to stay on-topic about their main ability. I realize that people are having issues hitting them [Oddly enough I'm not having issues with their hitbox] but if you fix their hitbox, they'll still charge around the map like mad, spraying toxic clouds everywhere. [Not sure if they fixed it enough for the community to be satisfied, so I'm keeping this here just in case]

Yep. Another thread about Mutalist ospreys, but maybe with some legitimate reasoning behind why everybody hates them.

Let me say something first before I go on to why everybody hates them, and that is: YES! They are very easy to kill! Now, here are the reasons.

First: Toxic ancients are a challenge, Mutalist Ospreys are not

Toxic ancients have a small toxic cloud around them. Wherever they go, it follow them and if they walk up to you, you are now losing health. They are big, loud they glow! You see a giant green glow, you fire at it with all your firepower. These Ospreys? No effects, fly over everything and they charge at you with very high speed leaving a huge toxic cloud which deals insane damage for something so big and unstoppable.

Second: Go Rhino or go home

More encouraging just to get more Rhinos on your team because Ironskin doesn't care about toxic damage. Any infested mission deters low health warframes because Toxic will be the end of them very quickly.

Third: Toxic is a very powerful element

Toxic and Magnetic are the worst elements that a player can face. One bypasses your shields, other makes your warframe useless for a few seconds. Mutalist Ospreys are COMMON and fast enemies, they should not be wielding such powerful elements.

And finally but not-really-related Fourth: The "IT'S A CHALLENGE" community response

People constantly go on the forums to agree with others that "Yes! Mutalist ospreys are OP!" only to be met with "BUT YOU WANTED A CHALLENGE!!!" responses by the majority of the community. We wanted a challenge, and you know what challenge we got? Shooting an osprey as soon as we see one. If one spawns behind you or in a place which you can't see? There goes your health and there's nothing you can do about it.

Now, if I were to suggest a better challenge for these guys, I would remove the toxin cloud and replace it with some sort of support ability. Right now, the Mutalist Osprey is the main damage dealer of the infested, as stupid as that sounds. Ospreys should be helping the other infested overwhelm the tenno, not going Rambo and killing them all with one charge.

You want something that will be challenging in the infested arsenal? We have the juggernaut coming to do what Infested Ospreys do, and trust me, considering this guy is big and probably very loud he will prove much more fun of a challenge than these near-silent ospreys which just fly all over the place.

There's my thoughts and feedback. Hopefully, I'll see you all again when I'm writting beastmaster feedback, after everyone gets one-shot by their own stolen weapons. [Or bring only one weapon and can't shoot when stolen]

Try and keep this discussion away from things like "HAHA, LEARN TO PLAY NOOB" or "FIND AN EASIER GAME" and we'll hopefully come up with some nice idea to make them less OP and make it so that everyone will enjoy fighting them.

Edit #1: Added something at the top to clarify the purpose of this thread.

Edit #2: DE nerfed the Mutalist Ospreys, but that still doesn't fix the issue of a giant shield-bypassing cloud.

Edited by Sarmon

I have three suggestions how to change the toxin cloud of the mutalist ospreys:

1. Change the damage type form toxin to  an other element like gas or corrosive, so that it can't bypass your shiels anymore.

or

2.Replace the toxin cloud with a smoke cloud which cloaks nerby infested units.

or

3. Let the cloud buff infested unit inside it. (Like the Grineer Regulator)

But it is a challenge. Warframe is all about challenge. Why can't you understand? "but they're in there for a reason"

For anyone who didn't understand. It's SARCASM.

And I quoted Scott. He said that about mods but it applies here as well

I have three suggestions how to change the toxin cloud of the mutalist ospreys:

1. Change the damage type form toxin to  an other element like gas or corrosive, so that it can't bypass your shiels anymore.

or

2.Replace the toxin cloud with a smoke cloud which cloaks nerby infested units.

or

3. Let the cloud buff infested unit inside it. (Like the Grineer Regulator)

Corrosive would be nice and it would be good synergy with Toxic ancients [it would make them deal more toxic damage form their cloud if Corrosion is procced on someone] I think that the charge attack in general just needs to go. and let it give buffs like you said like the regulator.

Maybe give nearby infested some resistance to some elements?

I do not agree.

Mutalist Osprey's charge is something that happens at the time. Beside that, they are slow, and unlike ancients they won't try to chase you everywhere. They're dangerous when there's other infested around and you don't pay attention to them. If you're able to see them from afar, you may make short work of them without any risk.

The only thing I would complain about is their small hitboxes coupled to the fact that they may have too much hp compared to the classical ospreys you may find. But that's all, and it seems legit for an infested who acts rather passively while others are extremely agressive. Also they're actually making infested way more interesting to fight against. Toxic and Disruptive ancients won't change that if they can't touch you. Mutalist Ospreys force you to not stay at the same point using a Vauban or maybe some other CC frames, because they're able to generate some nasty poison AoE right in your trap/aera of effect.

Agreed, They're not challenging, just annoying. I don't really have a problem with them and I main Nyx (I know, "NYX OP PLS NERF!"). Life strike has never been more useful at least.^^

But the main reason I think they're an issue is the fact that they render shields COMPLETELY useless. If you use a frame with low health, you're screwed. Not because the cloud is hard to avoid (it's not, honestly^^) but because there are so many chokepoints in the different tilesets that either you manage to kill them all before they can fart their clouds or you're stuck waiting for them to dissipate, which is plain boring.

Oh and... I have never seen so many Rhinos in missions! It's INSANE. I end up with 3 RHINOS IN MY TEAMS HALF OF THE TIME, and the ONLY times I don't see Rhinos everywhere during Breeding grounds or infested missions is when I play with clanmates or members of my alliance! And the worst part is, the players using Rhino are the one who end up dead in the cloud 9 times out of 10! This frame is making players lazy and careless, my heart bleeds I'm so sad...

I personally don't really care if the Mutalist get a nerf/buff/rework/whateverfloatsyourboat, but I cringe when I read "they're a challenge", because they ARE NOT. They are just another thing that makes good players shine and show the careless and lazy. And I'm sorry but from what I've seen up to this point, lazy players are legions, good players are very few.

P.S. : This last sentence makes me look like an arrogant jackass I know.^^'

They most certainly are a challenge, people just havent figured out to move out of the way when they hear the little cry that they are about to charge, or to shoot them when they stop moving before doing so. Try bringing a shotgun, more specifically a drakgoon or boar prime, to an infested mission, hitting them is easy and you can one-shot them. Rhino prime is definatly not the only option, as I have been using ember prime and nyx to wreak them. 

The actually make it so people can't just point and shoot anymore, seriously  though just move around more and they can be easy. 

It's still very avoidable. It's not like they're grineer commanders, switching you around and locking you in one place, evrything without any chance to dodge it.

Until we open a door and suddenly get bombarded by three of these creating a trail of toxic clouds on you (happened to me on the first Breeding Grounds mission, and it scared the crap out of me). 

But all in all, these ospreys do provide a bit of a spice to the Infested (of course they would need a bit of a tweak to hit-boxes and stuff, but overall, they are a decent addition to the Infested). 

I do not agree.

Mutalist Osprey's charge is something that happens at the time. Beside that, they are slow, and unlike ancients they won't try to chase you everywhere. They're dangerous when there's other infested around and you don't pay attention to them. If you're able to see them from afar, you may make short work of them without any risk.

The only thing I would complain about is their small hitboxes coupled to the fact that they may have too much hp compared to the classical ospreys you may find. But that's all, and it seems legit for an infested who acts rather passively while others are extremely agressive. Also they're actually making infested way more interesting to fight against. Toxic and Disruptive ancients won't change that if they can't touch you. Mutalist Ospreys force you to not stay at the same point using a Vauban or maybe some other CC frames, because they're able to generate some nasty poison AoE right in your trap/aera of effect.

So all the time i spent on my vauban was a waste of time. I should throw away my vauban? that's unfair.

Oh and... I have never seen so many Rhinos in missions! It's INSANE. I end up with 3 RHINOS IN MY TEAMS HALF OF THE TIME, and the ONLY times I don't see Rhinos everywhere during Breeding grounds or infested missions is when I play with clanmates or members of my alliance! And the worst part is, the players using Rhino are the one who end up dead in the cloud 9 times out of 10!

I laugh every time this happens. I used Zephyr.

The actually make it so people can't just point and shoot anymore, seriously  though just move around more and they can be easy. 

Narrow stairs. Three of them charge at me. NO WAY to avoid it. Result? Death and frustration.

Edited by CBAROG

I do not agree.

They're not difficult to overcome when you always have your gun out or play a frame with ranged damage abilities.

If you want to melee, have fun dying to clouds of poison.  At least until they let players aim melee attacks a little better.

I laugh every the time when this happens. I used Zephyr.

Same here. 

Never understood the reason behind all those Rhinos in this mission. Zephyr can survive just as well as, if not better than, Rhino (in one game, I had to revive three Rhinos before getting ambushed and downed by a horde of Infested [in hindsight, I should have paid more attention to my Enemy Sense]). 

I do not agree.

They won't chase me everywhere? You seem to forget that they charge at players at really high speeds with a two-second cooldown.

I never heard anybody complain about hitbox or health of the ospreys. They are fine to me.

And mutalist ospreys forcing you to not stay at the same point? How are people supposed to play defense, then? More hallways heroes?

No offense, but sorry. I disagree with all you've just said.

I have generally nothing against these flying stinkers. It's their habit getting stuck all the time and their small hit box that makes them annoying. For breeding grounds, Efficiency built trinity for Blessing spamming = Win no matter what kind of group, unless it's players with unranked frames >:(

I think what could help these guys is a burst toxic cloud after charging.

They shouldn't just be leaking toxic crap everywhere.  It needs to be in a controlled, timed, attack that you can fight against or remove yourself from.

The issue is that, no matter what they do or how they do it, they're always pumping out death clouds.  The only hard counter is 'kill it' ... which is not fun and requires no thought or strategy.

I laugh every time this happens. I used Zephyr.

Oh man, this just reminded me that I've never seen a Zephyr in this mission... I'm even more sad now...

I have generally nothing against these flying stinkers. It's their habit getting stuck all the time and their small hit box that makes them annoying. For breeding grounds, Efficiency built trinity for Blessing spamming = Win no matter what kind of group, unless it's players with unranked frames >:(

I don't trust Trinities, sorry^^'.

I trust my Absorb and my run'n'gun "skills" (hate that word, has lost all meaning). Except in the many narrow spaces when you actually can't run, just gun. I think that might be why so many players don't like the Mutalists. I don't like them, but not because they're bad or anything, I don't like them because I spend half of my missions reviving people or NOT reviving them because they're in the middle of a "nope" area filled with poison because of them.^^'

Oh and that poison proc is monstruous. Seriously. I've seen many go down just because they had to dash through a poison cloud to avoid 3 others because of that dumb thing. And they were using high shields/low health frames. So much for "diversity" and "fairness".^^'

Edited by Marthrym

Oh man, this just reminded me that I've never seen a Zephyr in this mission... I'm even more sad now...

Dang. Invite me to your Breeding Grounds mission next time. I always use a Zephyr for that mission, just for her high shields/health and the occasional use of Tail Wind/Tornado to get out of sticky situations.