June 27Th: Community Hot Topics!

[DE]Drew

Tenno, 

Next month, we’ll be implementing a new and improved Community Hot Topics format! Based on player feedback, Community Hot Topics will now focus more on systemic issues that have been presented by the community. Each topic will be linked directly to a thread (or threads) created by players on the Forums. To increase player involvement, we’ll supplement topics with further questions and polls. We are also enlisting the help of our Community Moderators to compile more threads for each hot topic. The timeframe for when we post the Community Hot Topics will also change. We’ll collect threads after each devstream until the following Wednesday, then we’ll post the topics on the  following Friday. To avoid repeating topics from the Devstreams, Hot Topics will only be posted on the Fridays that do not have streams.   

Here is the timeline for the new Hot Topics format: 

July 4th - 9th: Compile hot topics. 
July 11th: Post next Community Hot Topics

Here’s an example of what a single new Community Hot Topics topic might look like:

Several popular threads have emerged that question the design principles behind enemies whose damage completely bypasses shields (specifically the Mutalist Osprey). The Mutalist Osprey recently released on PC and will be coming soon to PS4, but other enemies have had shield bypassing damage for awhile. 

The discussions have generated a lot of opposing opinions about toxic damage and bleed procs. Some players have said they enjoy the challenge, and other players have said that it’s just not fun. Damage that bypasses shields can completely counter shield tank builds and make a large set of mods completely ineffective, but it also helps eliminate cookie-cutter builds (players have to diversify their mod choices). Answer the poll to let us know how you feel.

Example poll:

Poll Question - What is your opinion on damage that bypasses shields?
1) It’s fine the way it is. Don’t touch it! 
2) It needs a nerf. Make the damage weaker.  
3) It needs a buff. Make the damage stronger. 
4) It should be more rare. Reduce the amount of enemies that use it. 
5) It should be more common. Increase the amount of enemies that use it. 
6) Other (post your explanation below). 

Links to source threads: 

6pxNy82.png
k6uToA3.png
r80HIay.png
LIqTHBq.png
6BRgxJZ.png

As long as you don't use the polls as excuse but simply as an indicator on what the general opinion is, i think this is a great idea. The community has grown in size since the launch of open beta and it has become too common for people to make the same threads at the same time. So yeah this might be a good solution to this issue.

You don't need to do exactly as the poll results say, but we still have it black and white what ever a new design choice was against or with the support of the community.

Much appreciated. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

I jut hope, that no "artificial" community topics would appear, like "People on forums absolutely love the new gamemode, check out those topics" while a 50 pages long topic about inconsistent lore sits without a notice.

For the two shield-bypassing damage types, I think a good way to make both sides of the debate happy is to make it so their DoTs aren't fatal (at least as long as your shields are up) - say, having the damage stop at 1 HP. That way both shields and HP remain equally relevant, as the enemy still has to whittle through your shields to deal a finishing blow but your health pool can mitigate the DoT.

Alternately, having shields active should create some kind of unique damage mitigation for DoTs running beneath the shield based on how much of your shielding is left, although it probably would be more complicated to code new damage formulae for two DoT types compared to the above.

The rarity of it seems fine as is, since we mostly just see Toxic damage with Infested and the Bleed damage of Grineer has significantly been reduced. Although, I might recommend toning down the frequency of the Mutalist Ospreys spraying clouds of poison.

I think this is a great format for the Hot Topics, and I'm glad that you're taking our feedback on both of these matters to heart.

Edited by Archwizard

Why run them to the following Wednesday, and not the following, following Wednesday, before the next Devstream?

because they don't want it coming out and competing with the devstreams.

its' basically a text form of an in-between devstream info session.

This is looking good. Make sure that if you include an "Other + Explanation" option, you have someone who can sort through the additional sections, match up "other" votes that match up in nature, and count up the upvotes on those posts. Otherwise "Other" will essentially be tossing your vote away over specificity.

On a slightly related note, is that giant concern thread I wrote a while back still up for discussion, or do I need to go forcibly revive it to get a response? I'd sorta like to know where you guys are planning on going with this game on a variety of core issues so that I know which feedback ideas I should expect to actually bother writing, and which ones I can discard as impossible pipe dreams.

Still me, following the reactions to this project.

Great, in theory. Let's see how it functions in motion. First couple will likely be kinda icky. Hope you guys can manage all right.

True. The reality tends to be different from the idealized anticipation of it. The first ones may be highly wobbly, but we will improve through time.

As long as you don't use the polls as excuse but simply as an indicator on what the general opinion is, i think this is a great idea. The community has grown in size since the launch of open beta and it has become too common for people to make the same threads at the same time. So yeah this might be a good solution to this issue.
You don't need to do exactly as the poll results say, but we still have it black and white what ever a new design choice was against or with the support of the community.

I hope the degree to how you take these polls is low or else the game is going to get real funky when players create problems that they go on to complain about after the fact.

I personnally dislike a lot the "polls". They are very dangerous tools to manipulate. Their results are often biased, difficult to use in the right way. They can even be unconstructive in many ways. I already told this to Drew and all the team of the forums. But sometimes, DE need polls to save time. We'll try to keep it for the bare necessities. If in the future, you guys see some poll going in a very bad direction, you'll have the opportunity to tell us in the thread.

Much appreciated. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

I jut hope, that no "artificial" community topics would appear, like "People on forums absolutely love the new gamemode, check out those topics" while a 50 pages long topic about inconsistent lore sits without a notice.

Telling to DE what we love is an important thing. We are always ranting about everything, let's keep the possibility to say "DE, you did a great job on this". But sure, it won't take more than 1 topic. So, it won't hurt the others Hot Topics. The magic of Hot Topics 2.0! ^^

1)This is looking good. Make sure that if you include an "Other + Explanation" option, you have someone who can sort through the additional sections, match up "other" votes that match up in nature, and count up the upvotes on those posts. Otherwise "Other" will essentially be tossing your vote away over specificity.

2)On a slightly related note, is that giant concern thread I wrote a while back still up for discussion, or do I need to go forcibly revive it to get a response? I'd sorta like to know where you guys are planning on going with this game on a variety of core issues so that I know which feedback ideas I should expect to actually bother writing, and which ones I can discard as impossible pipe dreams.

1) => Sure. This must be taken into account in the final transmission to the Devs.
2) => We'll need a link to your topic (if it's too old, we may miss it). I'll make sure that the community has a way to submit some interesting threads. Probably a thread to submit eligible topics to the Hot Topics. You will post there, once it's ready. I will talk with Drew/Rebecca/Megan about that, for sure.

My own words, now:
Thanks, Drew, for this quick view of the future HT!
I have to say that what we were lacking of and why i began this project; it's because we can't have satisfying answers from the Devs.
We badly need an improvement of the communication between the Community and DE.

So a better format for the HT 2.0 is good, but it's only a first step.
We need ANSWERS from DE. Detailed answers. Like:
"This topic? Yes/No. Because [...]. We'll implement/fix asap/after "that"."

The Devstreams can't provide these kind of answers, cause there is too little time, everyone is interrupting the one who is talking, players are spamming, the stream must cover a lot of things, etc.

So we needs answers on the forums (clear answers from the Devs) or through videos (people of DE who are interviewed upon the Hot Topics, facing the camera, alone (or max 2 persons).

At least, that's what i think. People?

Hot topics 2.0, i like it!

Can you take this into consideration:

If a frame has no shield points (at the time of the attack) than it takes 100% of bleed proc or toxic damage.

If a frame has 200 shield points (at the time of the attack) and he takes 80% of bleed proc or toxic damage.

If a frame has 400 shield points (at the time of the attack) and he takes 60% of bleed proc or toxic damage etc...

Or you come up the numbers but anyway, i would like to see this, shield bypassing damage that depends on the amount of shields you currently have.

[...]

Can you take this into consideration:

If a frame has no shield points (at the time of the attack) than it takes 100% of bleed proc or toxic damage.

If a frame has 200 shield points (at the time of the attack) and he takes 80% of bleed proc or toxic damage.

If a frame has 400 shield points (at the time of the attack) and he takes 60% of bleed proc or toxic damage etc...

Or you come up the numbers but anyway, i would like to see this, shield bypassing damage that depends on the amount of shields you currently have.

No. Make a thread about it, and see if people agree/like the idea. That's how we all do it.