Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Codex & Scanner Overhaul Suggestion

--Q--JoeTheBanshee

Continuing on from a previous thread of mine, I have something to add that was brought to my attention. But for anyone new you can stay on this thread as all the information is here.

To begin, many players have expressed their overall disdain with the current scanner and what is required for you to complete one codex entry. While some enemies are easy, others are extremely rare to see, nonetheless scan. An overhaul of the Scanner itself is definitely needed to counter the current system that inhibits gameplay and requires tedious repetition. So for a copy and paste of my own comment...

Codex Idea: What if scanning was done when you killed an enemy with a certain weapon? What if the scanner itself was a weapon? In the game 3D Dot Game Heroes, to add monsters into the bestiary you had to kill them with the Bestiary (which was a large book). It was a comical way of doing it, but it felt more fun and challenging instead of tedious, especially if you wanted bosses added to it.

It's an interesting proposal to make the codex some obscure sword or gun that upon killing you received the information for that enemy.

Coming from my previous thread, (PS4)Bobtm0 says:

"That actually sounds outstanding.  Now that we have an existing death animation type (the channeling dissolve) for enemies too it could even make some sense.  Like some sort of shockwave firing energy gun that scans a targets existence while effectively deleting it.

That is something I completely like."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for the Codex, I still think that a Mastery Reward is both fair and decent. 

Scanner Idea :Right now we have 149 enemies available to scan within the codex. That's quite a lot of scans assuming that enemies need between 5-30 scans each. For new players it is a useful tool to see strengths, weaknesses, rewards, and information. For most veteran players it holds little use beyond rewards.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to find a common reward for taking the time to expand and complete your codex...

That is where Mastery comes in. Given the 149 enemies, I think 250-500 mastery per completion is a small enough reward to not hurt the 'Mastery Economy' but is large enough to be a fair and useful reward for all players.

149 * 250 = 37250 Mastery

149 * 300 = 44700 Mastery

149 * 400 = 59600 Mastery

149 * 500 = 74500 Mastery

I want to hear your opinions. Do you love this idea, or hate it? Have something you would change or tweak, don't hesitate! Remain respectful and on topic!

My opinion is... well I can't say it any better than this.

"That is something I completely like." - Me

Just to say something more than effectively nothing, it'd be gnarly if there were Codex weapon equivalents for each of the slot categories.  That way, should one choose to do so, they could equip a scanner primary, scanner secondary, scanner melee, and Helios, to become Commander Codex, scanner of stuff and knower of things.

My opinion is... well I can't say it any better than this.

"That is something I completely like." - Me

Just to say something more than effectively nothing, it'd be gnarly if there were Codex weapon equivalents for each of the slot categories.  That way, should one choose to do so, they could equip a scanner primary, scanner secondary, scanner melee, and Helios, to become Commander Codex, scanner of stuff and knower of things.

It would be nice to have the option of which to bring

I don't see the point of constantly watering down content that was thought out in a specific way by an entire team of people, when said content does not effect player game experience in any way, and simply exists as "something else to do in the game, if you want to go to the trouble of doing it".

Is this the new trend? It's too much hard work, so request to get it to change to a new level of "easier" that fits your gameplay style?

It's fine as is.

There is a Sentinel that makes it easy mode already. Just how much easier can it be?

I don't see the point of constantly watering down content that was thought out in a specific way by an entire team of people, when said content does not effect player game experience in any way, and simply exists as "something else to do in the game, if you want to go to the trouble of doing it".

Is this the new trend? It's too much hard work, so request to get it to change to a new level of "easier" that fits your gameplay style?

It's fine as is.

There is a Sentinel that makes it easy mode already. Just how much easier can it be?

I don't see it as a "hard vs. easy" debate; more of a "tedious vs. worthwhile" for completionists or lore junkies.

Scanning as it is doesn't fit the fast-paced gameplay this game thrives on. I think the Codex should be automatically populated for you--it's just a Credit dump anyway.

We need to overhaul the design to make it fit the gameplay. It's unique and useful, I don't think it should be scrapped completely.