Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Ui Feedback From Ui/ux Designer: Visually Nicer, Slower To Use, More Clicks To Do The Same Task

KriLL3

I actually really like the ship, it sets a nice atmosphere I think, and I don't mind you being "in the ship" when using the menus, my main issue is that the UIs aren't as user friendly on the whole as the old ones, and you need to open the main menu to switch UI, instead of having a permanent top menu bar like in U13, if I could hit a single button while in the arsenal to go to foundry like before I'd be much happier.

Edited by KriLL3

Ships do sever a purpose, and that's the immersion itself. The eve captain's quarters you keep on mentioning failed because they added nothing; they were literally just a room with nothing in them, that you had no incentive to visit as they added nothing to story or gameplay. Our ships are fundamentally different. Ships, unlike the dojo, serve as an entry point for the player into the universe. As I've mentioned before, warframe had no immersion whatsoever before, and now we have essentially an anchor point in place for future updates to add content.

Also, I don't know about you but I love just sitting and staring out the window or listening to the dudes talk for a little bit. That kind of stuff really completes the experience for me.

I'm sure future updates will streamline the menus inside the ship a lot, I wouldn't write the whole thing off yet.

"It doesn’t matter how many times I have to click, as long as each click is a mindless, unambiguous choice."

-Steve Krug

I don't want to be offending but I wouldn't give myself a pat on the back yet if I were you guys. It's nothing wrong to be proud of your work, but you have to accept the fact that it does matter how many clicks it takes to get somewhere (explained in the paragraphs below).

We did make a few tests with all options visible at once, and it was just overwhelming to read 17 options at once, the accessibility needs evolve as the play time increases, a seasoned player can look at 17 options and find what he wants with no issue, a player that has only gone through Vor's prize, would be overwhelmed by that.

People are already mad if you don't accept to start the mission within 20 seconds... a time that's been perfectly enough to switch weapons and/or mods as well as other stuff with Pre-U14. Now with the new main menu it takes like a minute to switch weapons and mods. People start to disband the squad because they are either not patient enough or they just keep on canceling the mission countdown because they are not finished gearing up yet. All because they can't get around the menus fast enough anymore.

People should adapt? Well no. With time-limited alerts/missions, dozens of weapons/warframes and hundreds of mods and other items... it's like if Diablo 3 wouldn't allow you to switch any gear until you leave a session because other people become inpatient while waiting for you. And then search for a new squad or rejoin your friends. All just because the menus are not real shortcuts rather than a project on its own.

One reason is if the main-menu found under "ESC" is going to stay this way it's almost as if we don't have a main-menu because it's faster to run everywhere. It takes 3 times as long to do basic stuff like switching weapons or putting mods on the weapons. That's not bearable for most players and you'd know that if you are seriously playing for some hours with random squads.

There do not need to be 17 sub menus placed on the main menu, but common stuff like the Arsenal, the Mods, the Foundry, Friendslist/Clan and the Inbox, as well as the Codex should be placed right under "ESC" next to the Navigation, Market, Profile, Options and Logout/Quit . The other stuff is not that important and can be within sub-menus, why not, but the most common stuff should be 1 click away and not 3 or more.

You claim people would feel overwhelmed with too many options shown at once, you may be right about that, but yet you implement a nested-menu people get lost in. The irony is astonishing. The old pre-U14 style quick-access to any other menu worked quite well. It may be "whoa" for a new player, but you could have added the buttons one at a time and you'd have achieved a better "new player experience" as it is now. Yet you chose to make the menus nested and make the new-player experience as bad if not worse as it's been before because now people get lost in the nested menus.

The current main menu just gives a new player the false impression that something like Arsenal, the Mods or the Foundry aren't as important as the damn Market, just because they are placed within another menu.

Basic feedback:

Don't have nested menus. Bring back the quick-access bar on top of each menu so we don't have to back out to the main menu all the time.

Place the most common used menus directly accessible from the main menu without going through tons of hierachical menus. Make icons/buttons out of them with nice visual representation similar to how you have for the market-menu or Codex.menu-buttons rather than having bland 72 Pixel-height Text (The closeness and bigness of the text is just too intimidating). Nobody would be confused or overwhelmed about that.

10498429_353709061451674_262583366849731

Just make the main menu found under "ESC" like that menu-style above from the Codex with the tiles but instead with all the major features like Arsenal, Mods, Foundry, Navigation, Market, etc... and we are all set.

Everything having a "physical" representation as a machine or console on the Liset shoud be placed directly accessible within the main-menu as well. Not doing so is plain hurting the usabillity, no matter how much you argue around it.

Also maybe add customizable keyboard-shortcuts to various commonly used menus... Many RPGs have that so you don't have to click through menus.

Also add an option to toggle off the menu-sway or remove it alltogether. It's only causing motion sickness when you've to play catch up with menu buttons. Imagine how funny it would be whenever you move your mouse/do something on the keyboard somebody comes around and wiggles your monitor around while you try to do something. It's annoying to the point you'd like to rage and kill the guy.

About the future:

Also it's been said that the Liset will be expanded upon in the future with new functionality... how are you guys going to fit all that "future" stuff in the Liset? The Answer: You can't. You will have to re-do everything and probably place the most consoles even farther away from each other to fit more stuff there. Somewhen it won't be bearable to run everywhere on-top of having a menu-mini-game nobody wants to play.

WIthout pressing esc you don't have a cursor, clicking isn't an option while you are running around.

Well take an example of Doom 3 or Quake 4 then. They managed to make stuff click-able with your Left Mouse button when close enough and hovering over the consoles with your crosshair. They managed to do the stuff 10 years ago.

7.jpg

28.jpg

43.jpg

Just a few examples about "immersion". The resolution is horrible, but well, it's 10 years ago on oldschool Geforce 4/5 series cards with 1024x768 resolutions or worse, but they could do it and it felt pretty well done even for that time.

Stuff should be clickable with the mouse-button through mouse-over by standard now. I understand that it might be hard to aim your crosshair on PS4/Xbone, but you can always have the "X" as backup for those. Don't downgrade PC experience just because PS4/Xbone are starting to hold you back now, it's the most common mistake current developers do throughout the whole game-industry and that's why so many people are mad about console-ports, because PC always has to suffer for the quick buck made. We have no controllers, most of us have to do it with the mouse... so consider it. Don't start to slip stream functionallity.. It won't work out well.

I totally agree with that, it's hard to find a specific planet if you are looking for it, argument against labels was that it was too crowded, newer players are introduced slowly to planets so the need for labels was less. In any case, I agree with you, but I lost that argument internally.

Well change the perspective then. Raise the camera angle so the circle with the planets doesn't feel so "squished down" to an oval. If the view would be a little bit more "top-down" then the planets wouldn't overlap this much anymore and you could easily add permanent labels for each planet. There's enough space to do so even on wide-screen ratios like 16:9 and 21:9. A good one third of the height is currently not used in the navigation screen because of the low camera angle.

There's no excuse not to have labels, because you may please new players as long as they don't have all 17 planets/regions unlocked but even for a Veteran player it's hard to distinguish most of the planets from each other without hovering over them, not even to speak about colorblind people.

You expect us to remember the exact position of each planet in the ring? Navigation should be selfexplanatory and not like taking an astronomy-exam.

It's either that or get rid of the ring-design alltogether in favor of the old solar system with planets placed on multiple spirals. The later being more common sense anyways because of how the relative location and size of the planets could be shown, as well as more astronomicial objects being added in the future. Can you imagine how crowded the ring would become if you guys decide to add some more moons and stuff? The ring will become impossible to navigate even for PS4/Xbone users.

Another one where there's division internally, some people think that it should work like an open world map where you browse around for the activities, some people want a straight forward list or the world state like http://deathsnacks.com/wf/ that might still happen.

Just show a clickable list within the navigation screen. There's enough space on the top right corner.

That or make the list displayed on the liset a little bit bigger so you could click it by mouse-over right from there without even going into the navigation screen. "Doom 3"-style.

This is a difference in direction, you are thinking ease of use is king, where to us immersion is king. You could certainly make the argument that the foundry information could be easier to read as an excel sheet, but it's not what we are going for.

Commenting on the Mission-selection screen:

"immersion is king"... well be prepared that the storm of people complaining about the usabillity will never end on PC. You are bringing that upon yourselfes with that attitude. Just generally speaking.

But to be more constructive: The mission selection screen is victim to the same major problems as the navigation screen. The cam is placed at an low-angle, while it would be much better if the camera would be raised a little bit. If the view would be a little bit more top-down then the mission-nodes wouldn't be blocked by the foreground planet. You can also move the mission nodes a little bit further away from the planet too, so they are not sticking right at the planet's athmosphere.

That would at least solve half the problems... but you'd still have to do something about the unreadable text you have to bend your head for. But well when you manage to make all the mission nodes viewable at once (through a more top-downish perspective and moving the nodes a little bit further away) then you can make the nodes-plane rigid and adjust the labeling direction so it's always readable. You could still make the planet rotateable with the right mouse button, but it wouldn't need to rotate the nodes with it.

As it is current it's just bullsh*t and the architecture/engeineering professors I had back at college would have given you a plain F- for the worst labeling ever. There are exact standards for labeling "circular" shaped objects because nobody wants to rotate maps around just to be able to read something.

Commenting on the Foundry:

As far as the foundry and most other menus goes... well it would be better if the cam would be placed a few steps away from the menu-windows. It feels forced right in your face. It's intimidating. Much of the space is blank and white which adds to eyestrain pretty fast. Stuff could be a little bit smaller or more tightly together so you've a better overview on what's going on within that menu. The foundry is a good example... The blank space on each item is so big that you can literally have 3 columns instead of 2. Some font-sizes are way too big, especial in the main-menu.

And that menu-sway... I can't stress it enough. It's plain annyoing. Also get the shoulder of the warframe out of the way... it blocks a good portion of the screen even on widescreen ratios.

The best designed menu is the Arsenal by the way. There the dimensions are perfect and that's what you should use for the other menus as well.

Edited by MeduSalem

This is a difference in direction, you are thinking ease of use is king, where to us immersion is king. You could certainly make the argument that the foundry information could be easier to read as an excel sheet, but it's not what we are going for.

After this one I sincerely don't understand why this man calls himself UI designer.

This is a total disaster.

This is a difference in direction, you are thinking ease of use is king, where to us immersion is king. 

So, first, I don't feel particularly immersed.  The Liset Experience makes a point of reminding me that I'm not present in the world; if I were there, I'd be looking at these elements dead-on, not at a slope.  In the prior UI, I felt like a Tenno observing the universe from some secret control room.  Now... I feel like a dude sitting in a chair playing KOTOR.

Second and more importantly... we are the people using it.  So... thanks?  For saying that what we think about the interface we are using is... "Wrong?"

Also, I don't know about you but I love just sitting and staring out the window or listening to the dudes talk for a little bit. That kind of stuff really completes the experience for me.

I do enjoy that.  I built up parts of my dojo just because I loved chilling in them, and I'd buy sound-producing elements like the radio for them in a heartbeat.

I just don't want it to be my menu.

I do enjoy that.  I built up parts of my dojo just because I loved chilling in them, and I'd buy sound-producing elements like the radio for them in a heartbeat.I just don't want it to be my menu.

The problem I have is that people don't differentiate between the ship and the menus; the ship is fine where it is, the menus are what's broken here

Please fix the menus. It seems everything has been covered already so that is all.

Actually, I'd like to add that I liked to see the amount of groups playing a mission that I could join(in case this hasn't been mentioned).

Edited by Haserath

The problem I have is that people don't differentiate between the ship and the menus; the ship is fine where it is, the menus are what's broken here

At the moment, I am unable to differentiate between the two because using the menus is exactly identical to using the ship.  Even the ESC menu merely teleports you around the ship to interact with the stations.

Given the Captain's Quarters/Station View option, this wouldn't be an issue in the slightest.  (Apart from what I'd approximate as only slightly more than the work it took to streamline the last UI.)

DE_Pablo... "immersion is king" ... well the ship ISN'T IMMERSIVE... as a personal DOJO.. huge win... as a block between me and useful information its a disaster.

I may be reading your posts out of context but I can honestly say that if that is the prevailing attitude within the dev community you are going to lose ALLOT of people.

Yeah you  have the fan boys who think you made something pretty... and you have those that don't care that you tripled or more the amount of work to get any one task done... and you have those who want to sit and stare into space in the new ship.... but none of that should impress you... READ the sentence...

You produced a UI... that's the INTERFACE.. whose greatest selling point is that it promotes the user base to sit idle and enjoy it at the expense of usability, functionality, speed, efficiency, and so on... 

This is your proud moment? you need to seriously reconsider your position on this whole immersion thing... Give me the ship... make it something people can customize... make it a private dojo... that's immersive.

the UI - THE INTERFACE to the game... it needs to WORK... not make ME work.

DE_Pablo... "immersion is king" ... well the ship ISN'T IMMERSIVE... as a personal DOJO.. huge win... as a block between me and useful information its a disaster.

I may be reading your posts out of context but I can honestly say that if that is the prevailing attitude within the dev community you are going to lose ALLOT of people.

I think the ship is immersive, and so do many other people. The problem is with the menus, not the ship itself. Everything you just said is a matter of personal opinion, and if you'd like to leave the game because you don't like it, well, that happens sometimes.

Preface to rant: You cannot have a "mindless" inference that puts ease of use secondary or outright neglects it. The design will not work.

Hey KriLL3, Thanks for the feedback. Few comments

"It doesn’t matter how many times I have to click, as long as each click is a mindless, unambiguous choice."
-Steve Krug

We did make a few tests with all options visible at once, and it was just overwhelming to read 17 options at once, the accessibility needs evolve as the play time increases, a seasoned player can look at 17 options and find what he wants with no issue, a player that has only gone through Vor's prize, would be overwhelmed by that.

WIthout pressing esc you don't have a cursor, clicking isn't an option while you are running around.

I totally agree with that, it's hard to find a specific planet if you are looking for it, argument against labels was that it was too crowded, newer players are introduced slowly to planets so the need for labels was less. In any case, I agree with you, but I lost that argument internally.

Another one where there's division internally, some people think that it should work like an open world map where you browse around for the activities, some people want a straight forward list or the world state like http://deathsnacks.com/wf/ that might still happen.

A few of the things you mention are bugs, like visibility in mods(fixed today), void key count, joining the dojo (fixed yesterday), how many you have of something in the foundry (made the fix for this today will likely be in the hotfix), and a couple other things.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write this up, it's great to see you guys care enough to spend the time thinking about this.

-> Did you run your UI by Advanced Common Sense? I wonder what he'd have to say about it.

The clicks certainly aren't mindless by any stretch. The choices are not unambiguous. You have 7 gray boxes on a gray background with white text with no really clear symbols or coloration/texture (don't forget the colorblind people) to distinguish them. Please take a look at the design criticisms of Apple's iTunes and Mac OSX when they removed the color from that interface and made everything gray. Keying on shape, color, and texture is important to having an unambiguous choice.

-> As pointed out "Clicking" without a mouse course has been done before. Unless this is an inherent issue with the Evolution Engine. In which case I do very strongly demand an alternative Mouse driven mode that can be set as the default starting UI. (See Windows 8 fiasco) .

-> Pre-14 spiral array worked just fine and took up about the same amount of space....

-> ¿Porque no los dos?. Again, the old star map didn't have this issue. It lived quite happily with both exploration and quick access. I would also like to be blunt and point out that your new UI does not list information like Active Squads on a planet or mission, which makes exploring virtually pointless.

-> "This is a difference in direction, you are thinking ease of use is king, where to us immersion is king."

--> I don't know what to say other than you can do both. However your focus must be on ease of use. In short you are wrong. I as your customer am going to tell you, that you and your bosses, are wrong. Change your direction. You are going the wrong way. Immerson breaks when your squad drops out on you because you can't swap out equipment in a timely fashion. The usability of setting up a custom game type like Orokin Void or Derelicts is a painful struggle. The lack of useful information about front and center about the squad's load-out is also a noticeable reduction in quality. It is not mindless to have to consonantly be hitting the Escape button just to check loadouts.

The UI even fights with us on changing loadouts because we can't get to the arsenal screen while in the Mission screen. We have to back out clear to the Liset. Again, not mindless.

=====

I don't like the fact that I even have to argue basic coloration choices. Light on Light, Dark on Dark, is a basic no-no which you violated all over the UI. Apple has been reamed for that on their UI, using shades of gray that are too close to each other and not providing enough contrast.

Edited by Brasten

First and for all: How did we all miss De_Pablos post? Today i was certain there was NO dev post in this thread and then 2 pages ago a post appeared. really strange.

Second: Befor De_Pablos post i was sad, angry and frustrated. but his post really blew me away and i am slowly only feeling despair. he didnt understand a thing which was posted and discussed in this thread over many hours. i wanted to post a detailed comment, but people like brasten (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/263785-new-ui-feedback-from-uiux-designer-visually-nicer-slower-to-use-more-clicks-to-do-the-same-task/page-14#entry3105052)  or MeduSalem (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/263785-new-ui-feedback-from-uiux-designer-visually-nicer-slower-to-use-more-clicks-to-do-the-same-task/?p=3103681) have outlined everything i was going to mention. great work and i feel exactly the same in every point.

Especially MeduSalem's post ist one of the best i have read in the last days since the relase of U14. It is a bit longer, but give it a try and do not miss DE_Pablos post.

Edited by Atvir

Just had to add my +1 to this topic, thank you for the wonderful post OP.

If the nav console in the ship just pulled up this old star map it would be a massive improvement. 

As of right now looking sadly at this screenshot is the closest I'll get to playing Warframe. I love the new player experience and the ship, there are some really great additions to the game but the UI really is a gamebreaker for me. Being cut off from so much information and functionality, while having so much extra time added to ingame tasks has ruined my player experience. I want to play Warframe right now but the thought of struggling with the UI is actually keeping me from launching the game and instead I'm on the forums.

I feel exactly the same way.

This is a difference in direction, you are thinking ease of use is king, where to us immersion is king.

That explains everything and is a nice and much needed confirmation. "Yes we know it is more tedious and cumbersome but it feels and looks more shiny and that's what we want". I know now that talking about this is a pointless and fruitless endevour because you already know the usability is worse but you accept that in favor of more shiny. It's a delibarate choice and not complete ineptitude. Thanks for your answer.

You are right the SHIP is a matter of opinion.. one that i think has sharply divided the player community...

Taken separately from other UI decisions the ship is STILL a disappointment - immagine the ship as a player home.. immagine a personally stylized and decorated personal space to invite your friends to visit.  Just imagine - all the work that went into the personal ship and all we get for it is a delay of game before ENTERING the game... yeah its neat looking but it SHOULD have been AMAZING looking.

But as i have said before the SHIP isn't the issue with the MENUS - the UI isn't the ship... but the ship currently stands between the player and the UI.  The fact that people are enamored with and excited to sit idle in their ship is good for them... its just not good for everyone.. or even most everyone.

The ISSUE that has been repeatedly raised is about the FUNCTIONALITY of the new UI as compared to the functionality of the old... or of any UI.

It has a enormous number of different concerns:

1. Ship vs no ship - static vs err static... no real difference between the old and the new except the amount of rendering required... it should have no bearing on the UI and yet - 

2. 2D vs 3D menus - opinion - but the main issue isnt with the appearance - again its function - less information on more real estate - yes these will likely be addressed in future hotfixes.

3. white on white text - just horrible decision making... also easily fixed and most likely will change.

4. Clicks to activity - more is worse... you may accept more and demand that others do the same... but regardless more clicks to the same task is BAD.

* and here is the kicker... the design team and fan boys don't actually see a problem with #4 which means it WON'T be addressed in hotfixes... which is WHY it continues to require debate and discussion - because in the end THIS needs to be addressed along with all the other bugs and bad design choices that came with the new UI.

I am not upset by NEW - i like new - but if i handed you a 7G super phone but stuck a 1980's analog phone system inside (which wouldnt fit) would you still say - but it LOOKS COOL i love it? probably not for long

What needs to happen is that the devs need to relook at their decisions.. they need to find a way to reintegrate the fast menu access of the previous UI without sacrificing their precious immersion. 

What needs to happen is that the devs need to relook at their decisions.. they need to find a way to reintegrate the fast menu access of the previous UI without sacrificing their precious immersion. 

The problem is: they have, they argued and they chose "immersive over ease of use". i do not see any chance, especially after pablos post, that they are willing to admit that not every decision was the right one. they are even proud of themself and their work. i called another user in another post ignorant (sorry, he is an absolut idiot) but this UI-designer is the personification of ignorance and cleary showed what went wrong durch the creating of UI14.

Edited by Atvir

The problem is: they have, they argued and they chose "immersive over ease of use". i do not see any chance, especially after pablos post, that they are willing to admit that not every decision was the right one.

They will have to reconsider. They have no choice in that matter.

People are mad about it, the amount of threads and complaints about the menu stuff will have to have consequences. If not people will drift away from the game because if something as basic as the UI can't be done in a satisfying manner then why torture yourself further with it?

Also we are here to give them feedback on something they designed internally and shipped to us without involving us (the playerbase) during the development stages.

Now that they released the first iteration of the "new menu" they expect us to shut up and swallow it as if it is something that's god-given and like there's no right to criticize it? Well I guess that won't happen with something important as basic accessability of menus.

I think they have done a good job on the "foundations" for the new "immersion" experience, but they seriously need to fix some stuff mentioned in countless threads/posts to make it "useful" as well.

It's as if an automobile company designed a fancy car, but it can't be driven and then said "well looks good to us, let's stop here and don't consider any improvements like putting in a gas pedal or steering wheel".

That's not how they are going to sell that car.

I won't say the game is unplayable now, but at least the main menu found under ESC is pretty close to unusable/useless and there are serious accessibility problems throughout the other menus as well, most of which could "easily" be fixed when reading through this thread and considering some of the feedback.

Edited by MeduSalem

I've said everything I really can on the matter at this point but just want to tack on a few extras in reponse to Pablo.

The basic theme of what we have all been saying is that time is precious, and some of us don't have copious amounts of it daily to fiddle with cosmetics.  Not every player is going to fall into this category, some people will adapt and be able to blaze through whatever new system is put infront of them and just live with it.  But those us of who take a little time to work their way through things, and will never get any quicker at it, may not have the time now required to do so.  I for one will soon only have an hour or so daily to play, and I would like to know that should I be able to come back to this game, I'm not going to be spending a majority of my time navigating menus.  Anyone working is likely to find themselves in similar situations.  Granted the average working adult is probably not what the target market is for this game, but they would make up a very substantial portion of it, and would likely be the largest puchaser of platinum (and I could get right into economics v's demographics here but that's a whole different conversation).  Time is a very precious resource and one that should always be given the highest priority when designing something like this.

I'm all for immersion, but it should be done in game, this system is just awkward.  We log in to play a game, not to play a menu system.

It's great to see that at least one person in the design team could see at least part of the flaws in this system.  It's a shame that others couldn't see past scenery porn.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write this up, it's great to see you guys care enough to spend the time thinking about this.

Don't get any of us wrong, the people here love this game, we wouldn't be up in arms about menus otherwise.  So when something changes for the worse, people will get in an uproar and speak their mind (most of the time).  We've all dedicated countless hours and even money towards this, and don't wish to see our efforts simply destroyed because of poor decisions.

I have searched and found DE_Pablos post - or at least more of it in context.

In his defense i believe he was referring to immersion in regards to the planetary listing and NOT the menus.  To be honest i would love to hear from the guy specifically regarding the number of clicks per action.

He did articulate that he felt it would be difficult to reintroduce the ability to click on the HUD since the mouse is now used for navigation - to be honest that is a cope out... that sort of design issue IS something that can and should be overcome.

To that end... i have heard allot about this captains chair... can't say i like it but at the same time its as good a solution as any.... add in a chair let us select it and have it blow up a more conventional HUD - alerts, menus, etc... in a more traditional 1st person orientation - those menus can still point to the new and improved code - the crucial thing is just making it easy to access the menus 

and for the record using a menu CAN NOT transport the toon out of the captains "view" - in fact adding an option "start in captains view" would be an even more useful addition.

This is a technically feasible - manageable - and relatively painless edition - it in no way comprismises the functionality of moving about the ship - it doesn't detract from the work done on the 3D menus - but it DOES resolve a KEY issue for your power user player base... 

The UI look pretty, however trying to do anything is just annoying. Also I would like to see how many players are playing each level, the way it was before.

Don't fix something that is not broken.

I agree with everything in the first post, except that its visialy nicer.

If I wanted a S#&$ty UI with limited functionality because it needs to work with a controler, I would go play on a console.

The old UI needed some tweaks, for sure.. But the new UI is worse than EVE onlines, even though CCP is doing sucky radial menues aswell.