Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer Warframe- Janus

Cobalt313

=========================================================================================

YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE

This Warframe was meant to be the reward to a (rather long) story questline, and thus has several elements of

its design that will make no sense out of context.

You should probably read this thread first before proceeding:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/266691-idea-for-questline-and-new-grineer-warframe/

=========================================================================================

"This is Janus. The militant. The oppressor. Named for Vor's most prized possession, this Warframe is a modification of a Grineer design central to a crisis that threatened the end of the Origin System as we knew it. Now it serves to protect the very system it was meant to conquer."

200 Health

90 Shields

100 Stamina

1.0 Sprint speed

200 Armor

Appearance: Appears to be a conglomeration of Tenno, Orokin, and Grineer technologies, with a hunched, lanky build reminiscent of Captain Vor. Resembles a typical organic Warframe with Grineer armor covering its torso and some of its extremities partially mechanized. Armor bears some Orokin parts in places, evoking a similar feel to Vor's Seer pistol. Also like Vor, the chestplate has a removable Orokin Void Key implanted into it on the right side.

"Janus' crude and unwieldy design belies its sturdiness and ability to manipulate Void energy to deadly effect."

1st power: Concussion Grenades- 25 energy

"Janus comes equipped with several Grineer high-yield Concussion Grenades, which, though primitive, prove invaluable in clearing out clusters of weaker opponents or briefly disabling stronger ones."

Janus takes one of the grenades off his belt and lobs it in a low arc. This grenade has a short fuse time but will detonate early if it comes in contact with an enemy, dealing Blast and Impact damage in a small radius with a high chance of Blast proc.Upgrade to increase potency, blast radius, and proc chance.

2nd power: Unstoppable Force- 50 energy

"Unstoppable Force projects a repulsive field of Void energy in front of Janus, which may send enemies flying, crush them against nearby surfaces, or hold back an advance. Projectiles fired against this torrent have their speed and power reduced drastically."

Projects a wide area of force in front of Janus that ragdolls enemies and sends them flying away from him. Enemies will take Impact damage from the initial shock, and anything unfortunate enough to be caught against a solid object within the area of effect will be pinned and receive continuous Impact damage over time as the repelling force crushes them. The outer edge of this effect also prevents enemies from passing through it, though their shots can still pass through at reduced damage. Upgrade to increase area of effect, duration, and damage per second.

3rd power: Void Jaunt- 75 energy

"Void Jaunt allows Janus to teleport short distances by shortcutting through the Void, but due to faulty technology, this creates brief but dangerous spatial anomalies at the start and endpoints of the Jaunt. Since these anomalies have proven to be easily weaponized, however, we may consider this defect a feature."

Quickly teleports Janus from the point where he is standing to the point targeted by the player or to a point within the limits of this power's range in the direction indicated, whichever is shorter. The trip is instantaneous, but creates a Void energy implosion at the starting point that pulls in and knocks down enemies close to Janus' former location and deals minor Impact damage, as well as a small Void energy explosion at the end point that knocks away enemies standing close to Janus' destination and deals minor Blast damage. Range mods increase travel distance, Power mods increase damage dealt by anomalies.

4th power: Channel the Void- 50 energy to initiate, 2/second energy to sustain

"The Key in Janus's chest isn't just for decoration, Tenno. Channel the Void turns it into a focus for a potent stream of raw Void energy. Though initially intended for purely offensive purposes, I have managed to modify its control over the energy it channels, so that it may also serve to give an empowering boost of energy to allies, replenishing their shields and energy reserves as well as augmenting the power of their Warframe abilities."

Janus removes the Key in his chest and holds it aloft, causing it to radiate a focused ray of golden light that can be aimed with the mouse while while the power is active. Janus himself is otherwise immobile until the power is toggled off by pressing the 4 key again or running out of energy. Enemies hit by this beam receive high Finisher damage every half-second for as long as the beam is trained on them. Allies hit by this stream will have their shields and energy gradually restored for as long as the beam is trained on them, in addition to receiving a Strength, Range, Duration, and Efficiency buff to all Warframe powers cast while the beam is trained on them and for a brief time afterward. These added buffs stack with any power enhancements conferred by mods said ally has equipped, and their duration is reset every tick the beam stays on them. Upgrade to increase damage per second, shield and energy recharge rate, and the potency and duration of allied power buffs.

"After considerable alteration from the original Grineer design, Janus has been made compatible with power-enhancing mods. Power mods increase the damage dealt by all powers as well as the number of Concussion Grenades thrown at once, while Range mods increase the area of effect of Unstoppable Force as well as the size of the explosion of Concussion Grenades and the anomalies created by Void Jaunt. Duration mods increase the time Unstoppable Force and the Void Jaunt anomalies remain in effect, while Efficiency mods will allow Channel the Void to be used for longer periods of time."

"The Grineer had hoped for Janus to be the end of the Tenno. Once we took him for ourselves, however, the tables had turned."

Edited by Cobalt313

I like the idea of this, but I'm not sure, since Mirage seems kinda Grineer honestly.

From some angles with her standard helmet she does look rather Grineer-ish, but her abilities, alt helmet, and overall design don't really scream "Grineer" that well. Plus this thing was part of a much larger story/questline; I would highly recommend checking out the link at the top first. It's a long read, but it should give you some idea what I meant to do with this Frame.

Just eyeballing the abilities, I'd reduce the number of grenades on 1 to make it less of a wide-angle stun and more of a targeted knockdown. 

3 is doing a lot of things, which is nice, but I'd make the duration very low on the anomalies to prevent vortex-ing with the first one. 

Overall, very solid. There's always lots of grineer frame concepts and very few of them are good, this is one of the good ones.

Just eyeballing the abilities, I'd reduce the number of grenades on 1 to make it less of a wide-angle stun and more of a targeted knockdown. 

3 is doing a lot of things, which is nice, but I'd make the duration very low on the anomalies to prevent vortex-ing with the first one. 

Overall, very solid. There's always lots of grineer frame concepts and very few of them are good, this is one of the good ones.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe 5 seconds max at full upgrade? The duration would have to apply to both ends for consistency's sake, though. I know the damage certainly wouldn't be as high as Vortex either.

Also, the main reason I had the multiple grenades was so it would feel more distinct from just using the Penta or Torid. It's not entirely necessary, but I at least see your point about its AoE.

Edited by Cobalt313

That's what I was thinking. Maybe 5 seconds max at full upgrade? The duration would have to apply to both ends for consistency's sake, though. I know the damage certainly wouldn't be as high as Vortex either.

Also, the main reason I had the multiple grenades was so it would feel more distinct from just using the Penta or Torid. It's not entirely necessary, but I at least see your point about its AoE.

I was thinking more like an instantaneous effect, like when he enters enemies are dragged towards him and when he exits they're blasted away. Basically, only have the portals open long enough for him to go through them and only have the effects happen while the portals are open...just something to keep it from being used as CC on the vortex end. 

I was thinking more like an instantaneous effect, like when he enters enemies are dragged towards him and when he exits they're blasted away. Basically, only have the portals open long enough for him to go through them and only have the effects happen while the portals are open...just something to keep it from being used as CC on the vortex end. 

That's... actually a bit closer to my original vision. I did kinda plan his abilities to be the sort of thing I could see Vor using (see the link at the top for more if you haven't already) so I suppose having it be instantaneous like how Tower IV Vor teleports would be better for that anyway. I'll revise the description accordingly.

Concept art go!

I wish I could, but my art skills are limited and I'm not particularly adept at drawing humanoid figures. Might sketch something out anyway, but no promises.

...unless you were offering to try your hand at it?

• 4 weeks later...

nice conception at all

while thinking how abilities may be realized "technically" I understood what 2nd and 3rd can me converted from Mag's pull. I like Mag's pull and I'm ok with 2nd Janus's ability (thought technically it may be "decoy" Janus what appears  in ... idk... 50 meters in front of "real" Janus and pulls enemies. btw - two faced Janus! ;D) but do you have some variations or alternatives for 3rd ability?

nice conception at all

while thinking how abilities may be realized "technically" I understood what 2nd and 3rd can me converted from Mag's pull. I like Mag's pull and I'm ok with 2nd Janus's ability (thought technically it may be "decoy" Janus what appears  in ... idk... 50 meters in front of "real" Janus and pulls enemies. btw - two faced Janus! ;D) but do you have some variations or alternatives for 3rd ability?

The third ability I meant to be the instant short-range teleport first and foremost, like the kind Vor uses in his boss fights. The aftereffects are just supposed to be minor bonuses to make it also handy for escaping crowded situations and setting enemies up for counterattacks (for the start vortex) or making it relatively safe to just teleport into an enemy's face without having loads of bullets forcibly inserted into yours (for the end burst). The range of the former effect isn't anywhere near Mag's, being simply a few feet around where you were initially standing, and the latter is no replacement for Ash's teleport since it doesn't guarantee finishers.

As for alternatives, well as I mentioned it was intended to emulate Vor somewhat as part of its origin story (see the link at the top) so I kinda need the teleporty bit to still be there. Most I could think of right now would be to reduce it to a simple instant jaunt and swap it with the second power.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the idea

I don't either not because of the idea itself, its the fact that he is everything a Tenno isn't.

however it is a good character development I would enjoy see more of your creativity.

join me Cobalt313 and help me make a story for Nihil worthy of the name Tenno..... join me join me.... :P

I also don't like the key design it feels like its feeding off Vor's design nor do I really like the Oroken mash up due to the idea that It takes away from the primes

it is only an opinion though don't take it to heart feel free to rip my idea apart I wont mind

Edited by Rynefall

I don't either not because of the idea itself, its the fact that he is everything a Tenno isn't.

however it is a good character development I would enjoy see more of your creativity.

join me Cobalt313 and help me make a story for Nihil worthy of the name Tenno..... join me join me.... :P

I also don't like the key design it feels like its feeding off Vor's design nor do I really like the Oroken mash up due to the idea that It takes away from the primes

it is only an opinion though don't take it to heart feel free to rip my idea apart I wont mind

Please follow the link at the top of the page. It will explain most points addressed in your comment.

Please follow the link at the top of the page. It will explain most points addressed in your comment.

though the missions are excellent and well choreographed that still doesn't support the frames personality's defense and while reading it I couldn't help but think that It was a better versed version of Valkyr I was kind of iffy with her story to begin with.

it still though was very captivating a good read and good idea just not a good frame I wish you would help me choreograph missions and a better story for Nihil with the red veil you certainly make very good mission layouts even though there very long :P

P.S. you should scrap the grenade they never really fit frames in the first place      

though the missions are excellent and well choreographed that still doesn't support the frames personality's defense and while reading it I couldn't help but think that It was a better versed version of Valkyr I was kind of iffy with her story to begin with.

it still though was very captivating a good read and good idea just not a good frame I wish you would help me choreograph missions and a better story for Nihil with the red veil you certainly make very good mission layouts even though there very long :P

P.S. you should scrap the grenade they never really fit frames in the first place      

I suppose the personality part wasn't necessary, I could probably change that once I think of something fitting.

I can give help with ideas, though I'm not sure I can just help you come up with quest arcs so easily. I can come up with elaborate stuff like that Quest arc when I'm having my own ideas and letting them spiral and chain out naturally, so to speak. Not sure I can do that with other people's ideas without ending up making something different that's just sort of inspired by the original.

And the grenades were more a product of failing to think of something else that would fit a Grineer frame. I wanted Janus's powers to be reminiscent of Vor somewhat, but Vauban already has Tesla so I couldn't use the shock mine thingies and I couldn't think of much else distinctly Grineer beyond those grenades they occasionally chuck at you.

I suppose the personality part wasn't necessary, I could probably change that once I think of something fitting.

I can give help with ideas, though I'm not sure I can just help you come up with quest arcs so easily. I can come up with elaborate stuff like that Quest arc when I'm having my own ideas and letting them spiral and chain out naturally, so to speak. Not sure I can do that with other people's ideas without ending up making something different that's just sort of inspired by the original.

And the grenades were more a product of failing to think of something else that would fit a Grineer frame. I wanted Janus's powers to be reminiscent of Vor somewhat, but Vauban already has Tesla so I couldn't use the shock mine thingies and I couldn't think of much else distinctly Grineer beyond those grenades they occasionally chuck at you.

what about like a roller ball with spikes that blows up with concussive force

also that is exactly what I need for my frame more elaborateness within his story and missions  

what about like a roller ball with spikes that blows up with concussive force

also that is exactly what I need for my frame more elaborateness within his story and missions  

Seeker Bomb could work, I'll have to consider that.

I find it easier to make stories more elaborate when I have some loose ends in canon I can believably tie them to. Like with Janus:

->Vor survived in the Void as a being of pure energy

->Vor's Prize questline implies Tenno themselves are beings of Void energy channeling themselves through Warframes in the "real" world.

->Implies Warframes themselves aren't the Tenno as we suspected

->Perhaps each player represents a single Tenno switching between each Warframe he owns rather than each Warframe just being an individual Tenno in a suit

->What if Vor found out the secret to Warframes from the Void?

->What if Vor had several Warframes made for him to use, able to switch into a new one every time one was destroyed much like player Tenno do?

->Ohcrap.jpg how do you kill him now?

And so on.