Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Osprey Riding! [Video + How-To]

Quetzhal

Congrats to Solanius for figuring it out! (And for being the only one who dared try :P)

I'll make a video with voice commentary eventually...

Old post:

Yes, that's one of the background ospreys that carry crates around in the air. Yes, I found my way up there. Yes, I may have hyperventilated for a while when I managed it. Possibly a little longer than that. Maybe an hour.

Maybe.

Anyway! I got bored - again! - while getting material for a different video (it involves getting to really scenic spots in the Snowy Planet tileset). I somehow found my way up there. I decided to challenge you guys instead of just posting the solution because honestly, if I knew something like this was possible I wouldn't want to see the solution. I'd probably just spend several hours trying to find my way to get there.

It's also a bit of a preliminary test to see how a parkour challenge topic will go. You guys would submit hard-to-get-to locations, OP will be updated, and everyone else can try to get there as well. No idea how it'd go, but I know a few parkour-loving people who would love doing stuff like that, including myself. Possibly time challenges? We'll see. Depends on the response!

Either way, I will be posting the solution soon. Maybe after a day, maybe after I wake up tomorrow depending on how impatient I get. You don't have to look at it if you want to find it yourself! I bet you guys will find some insane ways to get there, though.

Good luck! (No prizes. I'm not rich, folks. Besides, it's a challenge, not a competition!)

You do not need any sprint or stamina mods that I know of; I used my Ash to get up there, and he has neither. The easiest way to get to this particular tile is Cytherean in Venus, I think - it's one of the possible places for you to spawn. The video itself should give a good indication of what tile it is. Aerial view and all that. If not, I'll post a few additional screenshots.

Edit: Information that I probably shouldn't leave out. It might count as a hint, so I'm leaving it in a spoiler.

You might have to glitch past an invisible wall depending on the method you use - though I encourage you to find your own! Also, collision weirdness.

Edit 2: Extra challenges! In the form of screenshots. You don't have to do these; it's difficult to actually pinpoint where the spot in question is due to their nature. Oh well. They're on the same tile as the other challenge.

Location 1:
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/5058/38807921.png
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2637/42428988.png

Location 2:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/8656/62527016.png
http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2719/86639248.png

Edited by Quetzhal

No using Loki's abilities. :p ...Can you even put the Decoy on something that high up? I can't imagine you could aim your reticule at the top of it. I don't know how the power works, though; I haven't been able to farm Loki yet. None of my weapons can break through the Hyena's shields, so any solo attempt at him usually leads to a standoff.

And pfff... actually, I wonder if I could get on a normal Osprey. *ponders*

Edited by Quetzhal

That's... probably the downside of a challenge like this in a game with procedurally generated levels. Sorry! Still, it is a possible place to spawn in (sometimes it's immediately outside the spawn, I think), so at least immediate aborts are a possibility. If a rather annoying addition to the stats...

I'll get some more screenshots once I get to the tile again - going to attempt to do so myself. I love the Snowy Planet tileset. It's so easy to get to various amazing places. Also, edited the main post with a hint of sorts.

Nice! 8D That was quick, too!

I got there mainly by accident, too. Mostly it was a "I MUST GET THERE" moment for a completely different part of the map. Assuming we had the same method, you probably know what I'm talking about.

I had a very bewildered "wtf is going on" moment, followed by "THIS IS AMAZING".

Heheh.

I'll hold off on posting the solution for now in case there are others who'll come online later (I did post this at a pretty bad time, but I couldn't wait any longer) who want to give it a shot. If anyone else succeeds, hold back the solution for now!

Updated with some small extra challenges. No real need to do them; it's hard to pinpoint where they actually are on the map. They are located on the same tile, though. Also tried to ride on an actual osprey; it seems they're too slippery to stay on, unfortunately. Might be different if there are enemies for it to charge... but I'll need a less flimsy frame for that.

On the other hand, I found that Shield Ospreys kinda follow you around if you kill everything else. It's kinda cute! Like a pet. Sometimes they stop and stay at one place though.