Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make Phorid A Beast! :d

noveltyhero

Check out my other How Tos:

Difficulty on this and amount of phases can be tied into:

Hey guys,

Surely I am not the only one who thinks it is time for Phorid to stop being a giant awkward charger and be the beast it deserves to be. Fighting a very mobile, very powerful infested enemy sounds great but in practice it is disappointing right now. So let's rectify that:

Appearance:

I believe he should have a streamlined body shape similar to the famous Xenomorph we all know and love. He should have a soft belly side which ideally takes more damage than the rest and carapace armour on the back which opens up when he launches those random projectiles I never see coming.

Additionally, his belly can open up slightly to reveal a Grineer/Corpus' head with which he communicates with us.

school_project___xenomorph_study_by_scoo

xenomorph_rex_by_nebezial-d578eds.jpg

His head should have scales moving front to back in size and scale as well as a mouth that opens in four with the Shingeki no Kyojin type mouths. He shouldn't have a nose and not sure about his eyes yet.

Shingeki-no-Kyojin-5-1.jpg

His front legs should be skinnier than the back ones and his tail should end with a spike which he can use in combat, as well as being stacked with blades along the way.

Abilities:

Scream -He screams and lots of infested come to his assistance (can be used to make his escape within the mission). Not spammed however and no Eximus. This also stuns the Tenno during its duration

Striking Spikes -His back opens up and tentacles with sharp ends reach out to nearby Tenno, grapple them then smack them across floor/wall. You can break free by hitting melee several times, or just wait it out. During this time he can only use the next abilities and he is also immobile. His max range should be around 40m

Cluster Balls -He opens his mouth and can shoot out these balls that deal toxic damage (3+ balls needed for an actual proc) and slow you down by 10% each with 40% max. They cover a diameter of 3m and the effect only lasts for 1 second once you are out of their area of effect. They remain there for 15 seconds.

Tailing Strikes -His tail unstacks and has an extended range of 5-8m with which he attacks players

Evolution -Upon being killed he curls up into an impenetrable ball when you cannot damage him. During this time he also evolves to be immune to the damage type that killed him before. This avoids people simply running an Ogris or other things to kill him very quickly.

+Visually he displays what kind of damage he is immune to, with different new armor being shown on him, or acid pouring from his mouth etc

++By damage type I mean weapon type, explosive->bolts/arrows->plasma rifle->lasers etc

Mission itself:

I feel sad that right now it is simply that he awaits for you. Phorid is not invading a planet to wait for you, he is there to spread his seed (damn right!) and colonize it. It should be more like this.

The Start

Let's move away from a traditional start and make it a little more dynamic. The mission starts with no objective, the Lotus tells you to wait until she scans the place and finds the whereabouts of Phorid.

(There is a 35% chance that you will have to go to a terminal someplace to activate the scanner/fix it)

So during this time you can just walk around the level and kill infested and whatnot. After finding where he is, she will give you the objective, as you walk towards him you see more and more people of the place he invaded being eaten, infested, stuck to a wall, really gross stuff. This becomes more common as you get closer to him.

Phase 1

As usual, there is a cutscene, during this his head comes out to say "I have no time for Lotus' pets!" and he would keep attacking Corpus troops and such as well as running away from you slightly until you defeat him for the first time (this supports that he wants the planet, not you).

After he evolves he will run away in such so that you cannot physically catch him (you can try). After wards the Lotus would shout for a warning that he is either 1. running away or 2. reaching for the power core or other terminals within the place. So there is a time limit when you must rush to Phase 2.

Phase 2

You near the place and then he is behind you "Tenno, nothing survives in my path" and then phase 2 of the battle begins which can be within a big power core room allowing for very mobile fights as he runs along side walls trying to catch anybody off guard or a very own infested ship half crash-landed into the tileset.

This is the final phase.

Additional phases may be active if different difficulty is chosen (see the very top spoiler). These additional phases simply mean that he evolves more, so if you cannot undertake the task of killing him enough times-well that sucks for you :)

Additional Suggestions

Phorid using his "minions" for combat:

Phorid apparently has consumed millions of his kind to reach his level of power. He should not hesitate to use his brethren as weapons.

1. He could stab the tentacles into his brethren and flick them off, instantly killing whatever he hits and throwing them at Tenno. Flung enemies knock down anything within 3m of their impact point and deal tons of damage if they hit.

2. He could eat nearby Infested, digest them, then vomit out the resulting acid all over the ground. The acid is a super-powered version of the electrocuted water in the derelicts. Sometimes, he'll spit globs of acid to hit enemies from further away. If an Infested walks over the acid, they enter a berserk state for 10 seconds. However, they also melt to death in this time.

3. Every couple of meters he walks, he lays a cluster of spores which grow into an Infested unit when he Screams. These can be destroyed simply by walking over them, or by shooting, but upon destruction they burst and deal damage. Phorid will gladly walk over these; he can even detonate them by slamming the ground with his tentacles.

4. Phorid's Scream is strong enough to throw anything close enough into the air. The enemies thrown are identical to the ones in his fling attack.

I will edit the post with what any feedback/suggestions!

What do you think?

I understand and admit that the Xenomorph from Aliens series has influenced this post but that's what Phorid should be IMO.

Thanks! :D

Edited by noveltyhero

You seem to share the opinion that Warframe should go back to its darker days. See here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/276658-a-darker-side-to-warframe/

I love this idea. 

Yep, DE should embrace the "Mature" tag more, it is too late to lessen it so might as well make full use of it :D

EDIT: Just realized how wrong that sounds...

Edited by noveltyhero

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Phorid apparently has consumed millions of his kind to reach his level of power. He should not hesitate to use his brethren as weapons.

1. He could stab the tentacles into his brethren and flick them off, instantly killing whatever he hits and throwing them at Tenno. Flung enemies knock down anything within 3m of their impact point and deal tons of damage if they hit.

2. He could eat nearby Infested, digest them, then vomit out the resulting acid all over the ground. The acid is a super-powered version of the electrocuted water in the derelicts. Sometimes, he'll spit globs of acid to hit enemies from further away. If an Infested walks over the acid, they enter a berserk state for 10 seconds. However, they also melt to death in this time.

3. Every couple of meters he walks, he lays a cluster of spores which grow into an Infested unit when he Screams. These can be destroyed simply by walking over them, or by shooting, but upon destruction they burst and deal damage. Phorid will gladly walk over these; he can even detonate them by slamming the ground with his tentacles.

4. Phorid's Scream is strong enough to throw anything close enough into the air. The enemies thrown are identical to the ones in his fling attack.

I dunno, I like your suggestion. But I thought it was weird how you were proposing such a murderous beast would fight alongside his kind.

I dunno, I like your suggestion. But I thought it was weird how you were proposing such a murderous beast would fight alongside his kind.

I very much like your ideas. I thought they would fight for him rather than alongside him simply out of fear of being eaten.

Thanks for feedback, I'll edit the thread later :)

He technically hasn't consumed his kind. He's just absorbed his kind to create a small hive collective like all infested bosses do. But since Lotus has said Phorrid has reached an outstanding level of mental capacity at such a short time this has lead me to believe the only reason he got so smart in such a short time was because he absorbed a Nyx which is the Warframe he drops. 

Pretty spooky. 

Nice points and it would be great to see them. 

However it is becoming more and more apparent that Boss mob reworks are something that takes DE a very long time to do.

Boss reworked - July-ish 2013 to present day:

-Captin Vor

-Sargas Ruk

-Hyena pack

-Councilor Vay Hek

New bosses added - July-ish 2013 to present day:

-Alad V 

-Lephantis

Boss Still in need of a rework/rework in progress

-Nef Anyo

-J3 Golem

-Tyl Regor 

-Kela De Thaym (ONLY FEMALE BOSS - NEEDS FIXING!!!) 

-Raptor

-Phorid

-Ambulas

Other bosses 

-Jackal

-Lech Kril

So seeing as other bosses on that list really need updates I really don't think we would see a Phorid update any time soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Nice points and it would be great to see them. 

However it is becoming more and more apparent that Boss mob reworks are something that takes DE a very long time to do.

Boss reworked - July-ish 2013 to present day:

-Captin Vor

-Sargas Ruk

-Hyena pack

-Councilor Vay Hek

New bosses added - July-ish 2013 to present day:

-Alad V 

-Lephantis

Boss Still in need of a rework/rework in progress

-Nef Anyo

-J3 Golem

-Tyl Regor 

-Kela De Thaym (ONLY FEMALE BOSS - NEEDS FIXING!!!) 

-Raptor

-Phorid

-Ambulas

Other bosses 

-Jackal

-Lech Kril

So seeing as other bosses on that list really need updates I really don't think we would see a Phorid update any time soon. 

To be honest even some current bosses that have been reworked need to be looked at >.>

Some should follow this instead:https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/316508-how-to-farm-a-warframe-boss-part-farming-feedback/

Not all, I mean the Jackal can be a repeated fight and so can the Hyenas but something as vital as Vay Hek..well :/

+1, dawg.

Right now, Phorid is just an way for easy resource farming, Aside from his homing spines, he's pretty much a chump. I just take my Loki, go invis, then hack at him until he dies. When Serrated blade was still a thing, I'd take Ash and spam Shuriken until he rekt (because he took 3x, just like any light infested).

It seems like everyone with full star chart treats him the same way: resource farm. He has no stages, he has terrible resistances, no CC immunity, and you can kill him in less than 30 secs. Would definitely like to see him "git gud".

I vote for Phorid overhaul after Tyl Rygor. No more joke bosses. No more chumps.

+1, dawg.

Right now, Phorid is just an way for easy resource farming, Aside from his homing spines, he's pretty much a chump. I just take my Loki, go invis, then hack at him until he dies. When Serrated blade was still a thing, I'd take Ash and spam Shuriken until he rekt (because he took 3x, just like any light infested).

It seems like everyone with full star chart treats him the same way: resource farm. He has no stages, he has terrible resistances, no CC immunity, and you can kill him in less than 30 secs. Would definitely like to see him "git gud".

I vote for Phorid overhaul after Tyl Rygor. No more joke bosses. No more chumps.

Yeah, it broke my heart when I went to high level Phorid and managed to kill him with a couple of arrows from my Paris Prime as he just stood there. I want to be scared to even go in the mission :P

I really like the "Evolution" idea.

Darn, should've quoted this before.

Anywho, the evolution feature works perfectly for this boss and changes up the game dynamically making him a not so easy kill :)

Like the defunct J3 Golem, Phorid is just a 400% scale of the infested dog. All bosses were initially scales/reskins of plain units. 

They are gradually being reworked, one by one, and now we already have a healthy number of them. 

Vay Hek was kind of a misfire though. 

Looking forward to the New and Improved! Tyl Regor.

And the new J4 Golem "the whole level is the boss". 

So I think a Phorid rework won't come until those 2 come out. 

Hey guys,

Surely I am not the only one who thinks it is time for Phorid to stop being a giant awkward charger and be the beast it deserves to be. Fighting a very mobile, very powerful infested enemy sounds great but in practice it is disappointing right now. So let's rectify that:

Appearance:

I believe he should have a streamlined body shape similar to the famous Xenomorph we all know and love. He should have a soft belly side which ideally takes more damage than the rest and carapace armour on the back which opens up when he launches those random projectiles I never see coming.

Additionally, his belly can open up slightly to reveal a Grineer/Corpus' head with which he communicates with us.

school_project___xenomorph_study_by_scoo

xenomorph_rex_by_nebezial-d578eds.jpg

His head should have scales moving front to back in size and scale as well as a mouth that opens in four with the Shingeki no Kyojin type mouths. He shouldn't have a nose and not sure about his eyes yet.

Shingeki-no-Kyojin-5-1.jpg

His front legs should be skinnier than the back ones and his tail should end with a spike which he can use in combat, as well as being stacked with blades along the way.

Abilities:

Scream -He screams and lots of infested come to his assistance (can be used to make his escape within the mission). Not spammed however and no Eximus. This also stuns the Tenno during its duration

Striking Spikes -His back opens up and tentacles with sharp ends reach out to nearby Tenno, grapple them then smack them across floor/wall. You can break free by hitting melee several times, or just wait it out. During this time he can only use the next abilities and he is also immobile. His max range should be around 40m

Cluster Balls -He opens his mouth and can shoot out these balls that deal toxic damage (3+ balls needed for an actual proc) and slow you down by 10% each with 40% max. They cover a diameter of 3m and the effect only lasts for 1 second once you are out of their area of effect. They remain there for 15 seconds.

Tailing Strikes -His tail unstacks and has an extended range of 5-8m with which he attacks players

Evolution -Upon being killed he curls up into an impenetrable ball when you cannot damage him. During this time he also evolves to be immune to the damage type that killed him before. This avoids people simply running an Ogris or other things to kill him very quickly.

+Visually he displays what kind of damage he is immune to, with different new armor being shown on him, or acid pouring from his mouth etc

++By damage type I mean weapon type, explosive->bolts/arrows->plasma rifle->lasers etc

Mission itself:

I feel sad that right now it is simply that he awaits for you. Phorid is not invading a planet to wait for you, he is there to spread his seed (damn right!) and colonize it. It should be more like this.

The Start

Let's move away from a traditional start and make it a little more dynamic. The mission starts with no objective, the Lotus tells you to wait until she scans the place and finds the whereabouts of Phorid.

(There is a 35% chance that you will have to go to a terminal someplace to activate the scanner/fix it)

So during this time you can just walk around the level and kill infested and whatnot. After finding where he is, she will give you the objective, as you walk towards him you see more and more people of the place he invaded being eaten, infested, stuck to a wall, really gross stuff. This becomes more common as you get closer to him.

Phase 1

As usual, there is a cutscene, during this his head comes out to say "I have no time for Lotus' pets!" and he would keep attacking Corpus troops and such as well as running away from you slightly until you defeat him for the first time (this supports that he wants the planet, not you).

After he evolves he will run away in such so that you cannot physically catch him (you can try). After wards the Lotus would shout for a warning that he is either 1. running away or 2. reaching for the power core or other terminals within the place. So there is a time limit when you must rush to Phase 2.

Phase 2

You near the place and then he is behind you "Tenno, nothing survives in my path" and then phase 2 of the battle begins which can be within a big power core room allowing for very mobile fights as he runs along side walls trying to catch anybody off guard or a very own infested ship half crash-landed into the tileset.

This is the final phase.

Additional phases may be active if different difficulty is chosen (see the very top spoiler). These additional phases simply mean that he evolves more, so if you cannot undertake the task of killing him enough times-well that sucks for you :)

Additional Suggestions

Phorid using his "minions" for combat:

I will edit the post with what any feedback/suggestions!

What do you think?

I understand and admit that the Xenomorph from Aliens series has influenced this post but that's what Phorid should be IMO.

Thanks! :D

the last spoiler is quite nasty, but infestation is a virus anyway so it is logical....

also the lotus scaning the area for the xenomorph thing could be done with a scanner deployed like the one at cryotec front, infested don`t know what the heck it is so they shouldn`t really attack because it`s not edible, but you need to survive while it scans...

another note: the people splintered all over and stuck in infested things to walls is much like Breeding grounds map (most common one a corpus tech stuck in a tube with some bone with infested tissues on it)....

Also, I agree with phorid being empowered he`s still so noob lol.

but overall, the idea seems good... worth being true.

the last spoiler is quite nasty, but infestation is a virus anyway so it is logical....

also the lotus scaning the area for the xenomorph thing could be done with a scanner deployed like the one at cryotec front, infested don`t know what the heck it is so they shouldn`t really attack because it`s not edible, but you need to survive while it scans...

another note: the people splintered all over and stuck in infested things to walls is much like Breeding grounds map (most common one a corpus tech stuck in a tube with some bone with infested tissues on it)....

Also, I agree with phorid being empowered he`s still so noob lol.

but overall, the idea seems good... worth being true.

Yes the splintered people around was slightly influenced by the breeding grounds but whole post had a great influence from Aliens and Alien vs Predator (the decent one in weird pyramid thing).

I'm happy people like the idea, I just hope DE does something cool with him cause he has a lot of potential to be dynamic without ridiculous phases and damage reduction :O