Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Saryn Abilities: Contagion & Venom... Names Reversed?

Adreni

This has bugged me for quite a while... since the get go, really. What is up with Saryn's first and third ability NAMES? I mean, look at them, look at what they are and how they behave.

For anyone who hasn't poked at Saryn: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Saryn/Abilities

Contagion: An infection - viral, bacterial or otherwise - that spreads from one subject to another. Go play Plague Inc.

First ability tags one enemy with what are essentially tumors... shoot the tumors and they jump to other enemies. These tumors deal VIRAL damage. Viruses spread... this ability spreads... it is by definition a contagion.

Third ability splashes a bit of toxin on your sword... it doesn't spread (Except, what, to your allies' weapons? Only with the initial casting)... by definition it is NOT a contagion.

Venom: A substance produced by the glands of snakes, scorpions, spiders and many other creatures. It doesn't spread, it isn't viral in any sense at all. It has also been used for eons by tribesmen to coat darts and arrows to disable and kill their enemies.

First ability... slings tumors on an enemy that deal VIRAL damage. I for one don't know of ANY venom that is viral in nature.

Third ability... coats your melee weapon in a toxic substance... ...just like ye olde tribesmen and assassins did... with VENOM!

I for one find the current setup confusing... I keep having to resort the two abilities; at a glance I ALWAYS think they are each other...

So for the sake of everyone who actually knows what the names of these two abilities actually mean, can we please have them switched...?

Also, as far as veterans getting confused by the switch goes: where you slot your abilities doesn't matter and you don't cast by name, but by remembering which slot they're in. Sure, for those who tend to change the ranks of their abilities it will take some adjustment, but it shouldn't be much more than some minor stumbles, right?

Edited by Adreni

Actually, the spores do poison damage initially. Contagion is just a spread. I think they fit, though they both could be named Contagion.

Only one of them spreads... only the first.

Also, looking at the wiki, "Venom" deals Viral damage.

Also, it's funny how the icon for viral damage is really a couple bacteria... I just noticed that.

Only one of them spreads... only the first.

Also, looking at the wiki, "Venom" deals Viral damage.

Also, it's funny how the icon for viral damage is really a couple bacteria... I just noticed that.

Oh my it does... that mod card lied to me T.T

Ability three spreads outward from Saryn to the blades of her weapons and those of her allies

Ability three spreads outward from Saryn to the blades of her weapons and those of her allies

Oooonly on cast... so the blade isn't contagious. Relate that effect to one hunter carrying the poison that everyone dips into. Everyone gathers around the poison carrier, the poison carrier opens their jar of poison, and everyone loads up on poison before heading off to go kill. A contagion would be more of a constant link effect where all Tenno in proximity to Saryn deal toxin damage, or can otherwise come over after the ability is cast and pick up on it.

Contagion, her ability 3, does not spread to her team mates. It is just her. All Contagion does is add poison damage to her blade. What it SHOULD do is apply poison damage to all her and her team mates weapons.

I really haven't used Saryn enough... the more you know.

Yep~

Also, is anyone tripping out over the fact that according to that table, Molt's explosion does NOT deal gas damage???

Or more adamantly, a Warframe clearly named after the chemical used in the world's first biological terrorist attack - this chemical named sarin, which is deployed in gaseous or aerosol form - does NOT have ANY gas damage attack whatsoever.

...So she doesn't even pay proper homage to her namesake... *sigh*

Contagion, her ability 3, does not spread to her team mates. It is just her. All Contagion does is add poison damage to her blade. What it SHOULD do is apply poison damage to all her and her team mates weapons.

Ahhh I got mixed up, then... so then it isn't contagious to any extent whatsoever. BAMF!

Edited by Adreni

Yep~

Also, is anyone tripping out over the fact that according to that table, Molt's explosion does NOT deal gas damage???

Or more adamantly, a Warframe clearly named after the chemical used in the world's first biological terrorist attack - this chemical named sarin, which is deployed in gaseous or aerosol form - does NOT have ANY gas damage attack whatsoever.

...So she doesn't even pay proper homage to her namesake... *sigh*

Ahhh I got mixed up, then... so then it isn't contagious to any extent whatsoever. BAMF!

I'm pretty sure the Design Council had named her abilities. That''s where I'd point the fingers. (Not at me though, I wasn't there at the time... pwease... o_o)