Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kubrow Dna Integrity And Loyalty Fixes

Xarteros

DISCLAIMER: I don't think it should be easy to raise Kubrows and look after them. I in fact think it should be a little harder, since Stasis provides such an easy option. Keep that in mind when you read this, I'm not looking for an 'easy way', just a more logical/cooler way

I've made a similar thread, but this one is a bit different. A few simple points, with explanations further on:
SHORT VERSION
1: Make 'rushing' a kubrow's 3-hour stasis delay deals moderate DNA integrity damage, instead of costing platinum

2: Make Loyalty decrease over time, instead of DNA integrity

3: Make DNA integrity decrease after each in-mission death, instead of Loyalty

4: Make Kubrows revert to being 'feral' at -100% DNA integrity, instead of dying permanently

5: Make DNA imprints be 1-2 per week, instead of 2 for their lifetime

6: Add the option to sell/delete/trade grown Kubrows to others

7: Add the option to breed males & females at the clan dojo in a new breeding room

8: Add DNA scanners that display simple Mendelian genetics (Dominant vs Recessive genes of different traits)

9: Add foundry blueprints for DNA stabilizers that use Earth plant extracts

1: Rushing the 'defrosting' process with platinum doesn't make sense, and is frankly undesirable. I get that they want more platinum sinks, but there are better uses (like custom colouration options) that more people would be likely to pay for. Rushing the 'defrosting' process makes perfect sense to decrease their DNA integrity, as there would be some physical damage from forcing them into action so quickly. It could be 40-60% damage, or based off how long they have remaining to recover.

2: It doesn't make sense that DNA integrity dissolves so quickly over time, yet the Kubrow remains loyal to you even if you forget about it constantly, right up until it dies of neglect. Instead, make Loyalty go down over time, unless you pat it frequently or possibly take it on missions (additional feature?). Ideally, their Loyalty should degrade by 40-60% per day, so if you log in every day you can still pat it to get back to 100%, or take it on a few missions if you need extra.

3: It makes more sense if Kubrows lose DNA integrity after dying on a mission, since the process of healing/reviving/re-cloning them would have lingering damage that grows worse the more they are 'killed'. This, coupled with the DNA integrity damage from rushing the 'defrosting' process, means we will still need to use DNA stabilizers, but a careful and patient Kubrow owner will rarely ever need to. Their hard work should pay off.

4: Since we can put reactors in them, it's pretty lame that they can permanently die, and destroy the reactor. I think since they are genetically altered from NATURAL Kubrow eggs, they shouldn't die, they should just turn back into ferals. All we're basically doing is using gene therapy to alter their DNA to suppress the feral genes and turn on the old 'Orokin age' genes. If that gene therapy wears off, they would just become unusable, feral Kubrow that need another treatment.

5: It doesn't make sense to limit DNA imprints to a maximum of 2. Instead, allowing the maximum imprints to "regenerate" over time makes more sense, and means breeders who achieve 'perfect' Kubrows can earn a lot by trading the imprints once or twice a week, per Kubrow. If someone is willing to spend the time, effort and money to get the perfect Kubrow, they deserve to be able to earn a little bit of that money back.

6: The only way to get rid of a Kubrow now is to wait 20 days to let it die (if at full DNA integrity). Through random chance, 5 of my 6 Kubrows are Sunika, and I have to wait 20 days to let each of them die. Either we need the option to sell them like we can sell Warframes, Sentinels and Weapons, or we need to be able to trade them to others or outright delete them.

7: We have Male and Female Kubrows so we need to be able to breed them, without needing the eggs. This would take longer than normal (female would be out of action for 2-3 days while pregnant), and the pup would have randomized traits from both parents. By putting the breeding room in the Dojo, players can come and interbreed their Kubrow or use the facilities to breed two of their own Kubrow together.

8: We need to be able to scan the Kubrow's genes and get to see the dominant/recessive alleles each of their traits have (Size, Shape, Colour, Pattern & Breed). Simply, rare traits would be recessive, and common traits would be dominant, allowing people to selectively breed the traits they want. The genetic scan could be a blueprint or platinum purchase, and would also apply to DNA Imprinting over a random egg.

9: There is no longer a use for Earth plant extracts. They should make blueprints for DNA stabilizers of various strength, in various quantity packs, each using Earth plant extracts (larger packs or higher strength packs should require rarer plants). This means they aren't wasting a resource any more, and they could even add in some more plants to spice things up.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for reading.

Edited by Xarteros

I'm with you on all points but the trading of the animals themselves, mostly due to the reason mentioned above me.

Fair point. They could always make it that if you trade a Kubrow, it starts with -100% loyalty so you have to very slowly (minimum 4 days of patting) build it up to being loyal to you. If not, then that's ok, I just think we need a way to get rid of them and I figure trading seems more humane than either putting them down, releasing them into the wild or selling them to the black market (which is seemingly where all sold items go to).

Loyal dogs can learn to love new masters, so I'm sure DE could do something. Maybe even if they're only tradeable as pups? Before they've really imprinted anyone? Plenty of room for a compromise =)

Edited by Xarteros

I might work out an alternative use for DNA Imprints, to make it stand out more from regular breeding, which I shall put in after work =) Hope some more feedback keeps rolling in, the more feedback I can get, the more I can work the ideas out to be more reasonable for everyone (making it more likely for DE to consider)

I had a suggestion addressing customizations and the ongoing cost of kubrow that I posted in another thread. I'm not sure if it's good forum etiquette to copy/paste, so here's a link to the post:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/278994-kubrow-feedback-megathread-with-poll/?p=3229225

The gist of it: separate "breeding" vs "cloning." Hatching eggs naturally (without the use of imprints) gets you a genetically stable kubrow that doesn't require shots. Using imprints enables the use of "designer genes" that let you force a kubrow appearance/type, but gives it unstable DNA.

Edited by beangonz

I had a suggestion addressing customizations and the ongoing cost of kubrow that I posted in another thread. I'm not sure if it's good forum etiquette to copy/paste, so here's a link to the post:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/278994-kubrow-feedback-megathread-with-poll/?p=3229225

The gist of it: separate "breeding" vs "cloning." Hatching eggs naturally (without the use of imprints) gets you a genetically stable kubrow that doesn't require shots. Using imprints enables the use of "designer genes" that let you force a kubrow appearance/type, but gives it unstable DNA.

I was toying with that idea a lot, as well as the idea of having a gene that affects genetic stability, allowing people to selectively breed the rare 'stable' trait. However, the use of stasis pods makes DNA degradation a bit pointless, particularly if we're considering my idea to allow a platinum-free stasis rushing process ('defrosting').

I think the issue with making 'naturally' grown (non-imprinted) eggs not degrade faster is that we're still manipulating their DNA to suppress the feral genes, to make them revert back to what they were during the Orokin Era. I see the logic DE put behind that, and I respect that as a geneticist.

Personally, I like the idea of having an impact on DNA integrity from using imprints as a 'cosmetic editor', but I'd prefer if it just meant they'd be born with 40% less stability already (to show the extra manipulation wasn't healthy, but doesn't leave a lingering penalty). Any Kubrow bred specifically for looks (and not for abilities) should just be jettisoned into space anyway

Now we need a way to sell/delete/trade them now more than ever, since they just halved DNA integrity loss rate. It's taking twice as long to let my spare Sunika Kubrows die. This would also be fixed by making them lose DNA integrity from Stasis rushing and letting them die on missions, since you could at least speed up the process

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly nothing is being done, despite the ocean of good ideas on Kubrow fixes that have flooded the forums. I don't get why DE even have a design council forum if design council members can't post ideas there to be considered. It'd make us feel included a bit more

Bump I guess.