Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Entire Revision Of Kubrow Customization

DarknightK

Lets face it, no one likes RNG. I don't think I should have to explain to most of you what the current issues of Kubrow RNG are plauging the community right now, but for clarity's sake and for the purpose of this thread, I'll list one that seems to be angering players the most:

Note that this only focuses on the actual CUSTOMIZATION aspect of Kubrows, not the method of acquisition nor any in-game/in-mission/performance areas.

1. Everything about the way your Kubrow is created is random. There is completely no player choice involved, unless one takes the time (and sometimes platinum) to acquire two genetic imprints to attempt to create their "dream" Kubrow, which even then is not a 100% guarantee. There are people who I personally know that have 6 of the same type of Kubrow, and others that have Kubrows with the same pattern. Considering that there are only a few limited choices for Kubrow customization for now, this is not completely unexpected, but still creates much frustration due to the limitation of player choice in a game that nearly lets you customize everything.

How to go about changing customization?

I'm proposing some changes that will, or at least should give players much more control over how their Kubrows should appear, and not just in color alone.

here are the following traits that should be able to be modified by the genetic foundry:

1. Sex

2. Body Build

3. Patterns (Similar category as Warframe skins)

4. Fur Colors (and with Tints functioning as Pattern colors)

Here are traits that cannot be modified by the genetic foundry (Both of these will be explained later):

1. Behavior

2. Special Attributes

Now for the physical traits, these can ONLY be modified during the Kubrow's egg/puppy phase, while its still developing. By the time it reaches adulthood, its physical traits will be locked in. To acquire more colors and traits, players must trade Genetic Imprints and insert them into the Foundry (like a credit card machine, but it eats your card as well), OR they must breed more Kubrows, and pray that the new ones will have different traits.

ANY new traits acquired will be saved in the Foundry.

As for the mental behaviors, these are properties of Kubrows that are unique to each one, similar to Pokemon, in that each Pokemon has a Nature and a Special Ability that usually assists them in combat/in use. The Behavioral aspect to Kubrows may be such that a Kubrow does not need to be petted to essentially regain its loyalty; it will gradually gain loyalty each time it kills an enemy. Behaviors can be seen in a Kubrow's idle animations inside the ship and during missions.

A Special Attribute, for example: Piercing Nails, would add a modifier to the Kubrow's attack that would add a % of Puncture damage based on its total damage output.

Other examples of Behaviors/Nature:

Calm: When a Kubrow enters an aggressive state, it will gain a damage bonus for 20 seconds.

Warhawk: The Kubrow will regain a small % of loyalty each time it kills an enemy

Regency: The Kubrow keeps itself well ordered, losing less genetic stability every 24 hours

Timid: When its master is down, the Kubrow will dig itself into the ground, with its butt and tail sticking out. It will be invulnerable from enemy aggression and damage.

Other examples of Special Attributes:

Incandescence:  In dark lighting, the Kubrow's coat will emit a soft glow that illuminates a rather wide area around it.

Piercing Nails: A percent of the Kubrow's total damage is added as bonus puncture damage.

Vampire: The Kubrow gains a unique finisher that will allow it to restore a small percent of its health.

Psychic Barrier: When charging towards an enemy, the Kubrow will project a kinetic barrier that has an 80% chance to deflect oncoming projectiles.

Of course, players can still have a chance to get these non-physical traits from a genetic imprint if they so wish. Upon inserting a Genetic Imprint into the Foundry, it will stay there in storage if you wish to use it in the future for breeding (the Imprint will tell you all of the above mentioned traits a Kubrow has available for breeding).

Exchanging Traits

When creating a genetic imprint of a Kubrow, that imprint will contain DNA for the Kubrow's physical and mental makeup. The only trick is that if a Kubrow was modified in the egg/puppy phase, there is a chance for the genetic imprint to scan its original, unmodified trait. Additionally, Genetic Imprints will now display every trait of a player's Kubrow, both physical and behavioral.

For example: A player has a Kubrow that had Black fur for its Primary Coat/Color, but decided to modified it to Hot Pink lets say. Player makes two genetic imprints of the Kubrow, here are the results

Imprint 1:

Type: Huras

Sex: Male

Build: Heavyweight

Primary Fur Color: Black

Secondary Fur Color: Grey

Tint 1: etc.

Imprint 2:

Type: Huras

Sex: Male

Build: Heavyweight

Primary Fur Color: Hot Pink

Secondary Fur Color: Grey

Tint 1: etc

Additionally, players will be able to access all their Genetic Imprints from the Genetic Foundry, as they first have to be scanned (see above mention of scanning physical traits) to analyze the traits.

The only thing that I did not mention was the Kubrow's Breed. Due to many players requesting for some way to change the Breed of their Kubrow, because as it seems, Huras is the most common, I suggest to have Kubrow eggs with varying patterns. Players will no longer get "Kubrow Egg", but instead "Huras Kubrow Egg" or "Raksa Kubrow Egg" instead.

But if there are those who would like to see Breed be a modifiable physical trait as well, then by all means.

Edited by DarknightK

It's a somewhat better system than we have now, but I wonder about whether you're really fixing the problems you're worried about, or just making them less severe.

For example, with these proposed new imprints, you would still have to buy or create your own imprints; nothing has changed about that.  The difference is you may only have to buy one, but it is still not within the players capability to create his perfect Kubrow completely on his own without having to go through layers of RNG to find randomly-generated Kubrow patterns or colors he can eventually splice together, but only after hatching and starving probably around half a dozen Kubrow, and that's if you're decently lucky.  In other words, buying imprints for plat is still the far easier (if still tedious, after all no one likes farming Boltor Prime parts) method.

You also talk about chances in your proposed solution, even though RNG is the problem you wish to fix.

"...OR they must breed more Kubrows, and pray that the new ones will have different traits."

"...there is a chance for the genetic imprint to scan its original, unmodified trait."

So perhaps there is room to improve on that as well.

Lastly, if behavior and special attributes were to be implemented (which I doubt very much, as that would be quite a task), these traits would have to be modifiable from the get-go.  Otherwise, you end up with a Kubrow that isn't optimized, and you may end up throwing them away.  In essence, the problem here is RNG as well.  At least the breed should be modifiable by the player, because otherwise a player could end up getting a Raksa when they meant to get a Huras, thereby disadvantaging them.  They end up with two options:  starve the Kubrow (which is at once inhumane and inconvenient, considering the player already put the effort in to get the Kubrow) and try again with another egg, or play with a Kubrow that does not suit your style.  Neither one facilitates enjoyment of the game, and thus the mechanic is problematic.

If I've misunderstood anything or you have any questions, please feel free to respond.

I still think DE should be working on more physical traits that are left up to RNG and imprinting; Ears, tails, fur length, personalities, builds, breed etc. Leave the coloring and patterns to the user via color palettes or purchasable patterns.

Also I do like the bonus attributes. Maybe not adding different types of damage, but why can't we genetically modify upon creation what type of damage they do? So you can have different kubrows for taking on different factions~ 

But +1 to everything you said. 

I'm pretty curious how DE are going to remedy the kubrows, given how many posts and opinions have been thrown here. Also if they are planning on some sort of 'compensation' to those who used the scrambler and the whole color fix ordeal.

I still think DE should be working on more physical traits that are left up to RNG and imprinting; Ears, tails, fur length, personalities, builds, breed etc. Leave the coloring and patterns to the user via color palettes or purchasable patterns.

Also I do like the bonus attributes. Maybe not adding different types of damage, but why can't we genetically modify upon creation what type of damage they do? So you can have different kubrows for taking on different factions~ 

But +1 to everything you said. 

I'm pretty curious how DE are going to remedy the kubrows, given how many posts and opinions have been thrown here. Also if they are planning on some sort of 'compensation' to those who used the scrambler and the whole color fix ordeal.

The issue is that players don't like it when there's too much RNG involved in way of customization.

As an example, we have Sentinels, who can be modified in whichever way possible with the addition of body types, accessories, and colors. There's no "purchase this item that will give you Wing A, Wing B, or Wing C". This has been mentioned as "players like to spend plat when they know what they're getting".

I think my suggestion for Piercing Nails could be reworked into a mod actually, however your suggestion of changing their damage type seems much more effective. Although maybe to limit the potential overpoweredness of this, a Kubrow can only have one damage type at any given time?

It's a somewhat better system than we have now, but I wonder about whether you're really fixing the problems you're worried about, or just making them less severe.

For example, with these proposed new imprints, you would still have to buy or create your own imprints; nothing has changed about that.  The difference is you may only have to buy one, but it is still not within the players capability to create his perfect Kubrow completely on his own without having to go through layers of RNG to find randomly-generated Kubrow patterns or colors he can eventually splice together, but only after hatching and starving probably around half a dozen Kubrow, and that's if you're decently lucky.  In other words, buying imprints for plat is still the far easier (if still tedious, after all no one likes farming Boltor Prime parts) method.

You also talk about chances in your proposed solution, even though RNG is the problem you wish to fix.

"...OR they must breed more Kubrows, and pray that the new ones will have different traits."

"...there is a chance for the genetic imprint to scan its original, unmodified trait."

So perhaps there is room to improve on that as well.

Lastly, if behavior and special attributes were to be implemented (which I doubt very much, as that would be quite a task), these traits would have to be modifiable from the get-go.  Otherwise, you end up with a Kubrow that isn't optimized, and you may end up throwing them away.  In essence, the problem here is RNG as well.  At least the breed should be modifiable by the player, because otherwise a player could end up getting a Raksa when they meant to get a Huras, thereby disadvantaging them.  They end up with two options:  starve the Kubrow (which is at once inhumane and inconvenient, considering the player already put the effort in to get the Kubrow) and try again with another egg, or play with a Kubrow that does not suit your style.  Neither one facilitates enjoyment of the game, and thus the mechanic is problematic.

If I've misunderstood anything or you have any questions, please feel free to respond.

It seems you are correct, in fact my original intention was never to completely fix RNG, as I still think that there should be a layer of it within these Pets, however in retrospect it seems that not much would change with my idea as well in terms of actually acquiring imprints and being able to "fully" customize your Kubrow.

The only qualm I seem to have is that if DE allowed all players to modify their Kubrow at will (therefore EVERY option is unlocked for editing from the get-go), what would that say about other sentinels? Which require platinum in order to change their appearance? Or is the task of obtaining a Kubrow enough to justify this mechanic?

There could possibly be an "unlock" system for Kubrows where Feral Kubrows and Kubrow Dens have a chance of dropping these colors/patterns and other cosmetic features for your Kubrow (or possibly by scanning them?), while leaving the other traits such as Breed, Sex, Body build, tail styles, etc. to the player from the start?

If via the scanner, a player would reach the halfway mark of scans for the Feral Kubrow they would gain the common color palletes for customization, and if ALL the scans are complete, they will get the Rare colors?

Lastly, the Behaviors and Special Attributes weren't meant to be entirely dependent on the usefulness of a Kubrow, but judging from my suggestions, they seem to be quite the opposite of what I was thinking. I am right now thinking of making the Special Attributes as Aura mods for Kubrows, and let the Feral Kubrows drop them, but with so many mods the Feral Kubrows are already packed with, I don't know whether or not that's a good idea.

What if we could genetrically engineer the S#&$ out of them? 
Given them three heads.
Give them 8 legs for speed, or 4 chunky ones for tankyness/jumping at airborne enemies. 
Make them breath elemental stuff. 
Teach them to dance! 

-snip-

I feel like the only way to justify player-chosen breeds is to completely rework the method of acquisition entirely.  I was thinking of changing it from a grindfest in which you must find and destroy as many dens as you can, and if no egg drops restart the mission, to a stealth-based mission for which the objective is to get the egg.  You bring up a valid point in that the feral Kubrows drop too many mods.  These two problems can be solved with one solution.  Four different, unique, replayable missions on earth which each have a different breed of feral Kubrow, and each breed drops a different set of mods corresponding to that breed.  To get the Huras Kubrow egg, you would have to sneak into the den of a feral Kubrow superpack and, as the nature of the Huras Kubrow implies, steal the egg without being detected by any Kubrow, or the mission fails.  To get the Raksa Kubrow egg, you would have to fight another breed of feral Kubrows which defend the egg at all costs, only relenting when they are absolutely unable to keep attacking.  etc. etc.  In this way the grind is eliminated, and actual challenges with instant rewards replace it.

That way, the Kubrow egg does not have to randomize breeds because there are four different eggs to begin with.  That may fix many of the problems I'm concerned about, even with the proposed revisions.

-snipsnip-

The superpack idea sounds very nice, especially with the varying mission types depending on the Breed. I've worked out a tentative idea about how these missions would work;

1. Four new nodes could be added to Earth that either could be only accessible once players unlock the Kubrow quest, OR dev could adjust the missions of already existing nodes into "Superpack" nodes when the quest is active.

2.a. Huras - Raid: Players must nab the Huras egg deep within the breeding grounds. If they are spotted, a Huras Pack Leader will take the egg to a secondary location, the Lotus will warn the player that the egg has changed location abruptly.

2.b. Raksa - Assassination: Tenno will have to delve into a large Kubrow Den and make it to the Raksa Kubrow Pack leader that is defending the egg, surrounded by walls of Raksa bodyguards.

2.c. Sahasa - I actually have no idea what this mission type should be

2.d. Sunika - Survival: Tenno must survive against relenting waves of feral Sunika Kubrows. Its a mix between Defense with waves, but there is no exact defense objective. The Tenno just have to survive for 5 waves. At the end of the 5th wave, players must fight the Sunika Pack Leader.

3. All Feral Kubrow Superpacks have a distinct pattern that identifies them, the Pack Leader is simply an eximus unit of the Kubrows (whether or not he should be a random Kubrow eximus or standardized is up for discussion).

But in essence, I think this would really make the quests function more like...well, quests. So to speak in the traditional term. This allows players to choose what breed they want to get without all that initial layer of RNG, plus it resolves the issue of how to integrate Breed into player choice.

I'll be reformatting the OP soon with Metalarcher's great ideas, I'm revising mine in a word document right now.