Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Psa: Please Don't Make "bump" Or "link" Threads

This is just a small notice to all of the Trading Post participants.

Lately there has been an influx of spamlike "bump" and "link" threads that exist solely to solicit your already existing threads.

Creating these sorts of threads isn't condoned; bumping one's own topic has already been removed because people would bump their threads hundreds of times a day, and this sort of posting style very closely resembles it.

Please avoid doing it from here on out; solicitation/"bump" threads will be merged with your original thread or deleted, and may accrue warning points on your forum account for spamming.

**Players are allowed 1 thread per auction. The only exception to this rule is if you have 1 thread for your storefront and 1 thread for WTB/Looking For orders.**

If you want to re-post it 24 or more hours after the original one was posted, please notify a moderator by reporting your thread with the report button to request its deletion. Once it's been deleted you may re-post it.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Updated note on auction threads

While I agree with you,there needs to be a way that if certain amount of people post in a thread,it will get bumped. Maybe like 3 people. This will greatly help those good auctions threads to be seen by many people.

EDIT- Or,DE could just open a subsection for just Auctions. That would be easier I suppose.

Edited by NN13

I see nothing wrong with pretty much advertising your thread. Its like reposting on trade chat. Yes it can get annoying but i think we should be restricted to like say 5-6 bumps a day. That way we can still get views on our posts but we arent spamming the crap out of the forums. If we are restricted from bumbing then how are our unpopular posts gonna be seen if only one person commented on it? It could be something someone wants. So its not the best idea to remove bumping. Just let us advertise what we are selling but give us a limit to how many times we can advertise it per day.

I see nothing wrong with pretty much advertising your thread. Its like reposting on trade chat. Yes it can get annoying but i think we should be restricted to like say 5-6 bumps a day. That way we can still get views on our posts but we arent spamming the crap out of the forums. If we are restricted from bumbing then how are our unpopular posts gonna be seen if only one person commented on it? It could be something someone wants. So its not the best idea to remove bumping. Just let us advertise what we are selling but give us a limit to how many times we can advertise it per day.

I agree to say that this would be a great solution!

I prefer do anything at my main thread...  Adding new item to sell, update my whole thread... just almost anything..

Since the update, the best way to sell kubrow imprints is by auctioning because we selling cosmetic and asthetic things that not everyone like/dislike.. It is more about preferences..
We may not have luck at the first post cause the kubrow imprint doesn't suit the viewer taste, but after several hours we may got another customer that thinks our kubrow is good or maybe perfect for them. However, the price will increasing as soon as more people want to buy it..

How bout every person only can make a new topic every 4 hours-6 hours? 

I prefer do anything at my main thread...  Adding new item to sell, update my whole thread... just almost anything..

Since the update, the best way to sell kubrow imprints is by auctioning because we selling cosmetic and asthetic things that not everyone like/dislike.. It is more about preferences..

We may not have luck at the first post cause the kubrow imprint doesn't suit the viewer taste, but after several hours we may got another customer that thinks our kubrow is good or maybe perfect for them. However, the price will increasing as soon as more people want to buy it..

How bout every person only can make a new topic every 4 hours-6 hours? 

That could work too.

This is just a small notice to all of the Trading Post participants.

Lately there has been an influx of spamlike "bump" and "link" threads that exist solely to solicit your already existing threads.

Creating these sorts of threads isn't condoned; bumping one's own topic has already been removed because people would bump their threads hundreds of times a day, and this sort of posting style very closely resembles it.

Please avoid doing it from here on out; solicitation/"bump" threads will be merged with your original thread or deleted, and may accrue warning points on your forum account for spamming.

100 times a day is a problem but bumping a couple of times should not.

If you dont advertise your stuff or advertise that you want something it's simply not going to happen because not everyone is on at the same time.

There needs to be a way to do some advertising or else you might as well and close this section.

Only being allowed one post and that's it is likely to result in no trades. Most people are not going to look to the third or fourth page to see what's down there. If all this stuff is taking up webpage space maybe you should setup a different webpage specifically for trading?

100 times a day is a problem but bumping a couple of times should not.

If you dont advertise your stuff or advertise that you want something it's simply not going to happen because not everyone is on at the same time.

There needs to be a way to do some advertising or else you might as well and close this section.

Only being allowed one post and that's it is likely to result in no trades. Most people are not going to look to the third or fourth page to see what's down there. If all this stuff is taking up webpage space maybe you should setup a different webpage specifically for trading?

Well sayed

Seriously? Smh.

Bumping threads isn't such a bad thing, i'd rather have one thread bumped multiple times than have all of these additional threads linking to the original one. But taking the bumping option away completely where we basically have to post once a day all while using the report system for something it was not intended to do is about as useless of an idea as $* on a bullfrog. Everyone could be happy if the moderators would put their brains together long enough to realize that all it would take is 1 dedicated mod watching this section and allowing 1 or 2 bumps per 24 hour period. It would keep us from having to make the same thread again and prevent us from having to use the report feature for this mediocre bs.

I'd like to have a serious conversation with the person who thought this was a good idea so that I can point them to damn near every other mmo gaming forum that allows bumping to show them how it could and should be done.

But anyways, since we're no longer allowed to bump or even link to our previous topics, i'll just report my post every day and have it removed while i post the exact same thing 5 minutes later. By the way, you have basically invited the report system to be flooded with thread delete requests for ONE section. Have fun.

Edited by itsXthomasTAG

Letter13,

Please define how many times excessive would be. 

Also I saw in your intial comment that "people would bump their threads hundreads of times a day". Therefore may we just 'bump' our auctions when there is an update or if there is no update may we 'bump' our auctions to advertise say 3 times per day? Perhaps what OuTIAwTACO229 suggested would be more efficient for the moderators to be able to monitor which is simply just a 5 a day 'bump' option reset at login.

So far I compeletly agree with itsXthomasTAG, it makes much more sense to use a 'bump' system rather then reposting the whole auction entirely. If you do not believe so please explain why given that one would 'link' only 5 times per day and maybe an easier way of reposting the whole auction with ease for our knowledge. 

It would be nice to hear a clear set of rules explained which we could abide by allowing us to use the trade forum efficiently but also not to create clutter and excessive work on your behalf. 

Thanks for your hardwork, awaiting your thoughts. 

Smiley 

A quick edit: please advise if we are allowed to 'bump' at all at present. 

Edited by GR_Smiley

I am in favor of bumping if enough attention is on the post or even a limited amount of ads per day. I was just given my first warning because I made a new ad 3 hours after my previous ad had been posted and as such also had my newest ad removed. I understand about the linking and such but I see no problem with posting your ad again after a good amount of time has past. I also would like my warning removed if possible considering the fact that I had no idea it was considered spamming if I waited 3 hours after my original post and it was already below many, many other threads. Thank you, will await your response :)

Makes sensee to me that when someone bids/comments on a post it should be bumped. That being said I do not believe that the OP should be allowed to bump their thread more than 1 time per day. A dedicated moderator for trade forums could surely handle clearing out any multi-bump threads and it would give us all the ability to update our auctions without having to worry about being struck with warning points to try to make a few plat.

Edited by Liu_Cypher

Makes sensee to me that when someone bids/comments on a post it should be bumped. That being said I do not believe that the OP should be allowed to bump their thread more than 1 time per day. A dedicated moderator for trade forums could surely handle clearing out any multi-bump threads and it would give us all the ability to update our auctions without having to worry about being struck with warning points to try to make a few plat.

That's something that could and definitely should be done if this stupid rule stays.

Bumping threads isn't such a bad thing

It is when you have dozens of players constantly bumping their own threads (even if no one shows any interest) just for the sake of being top of the list.

But anyways, since we're no longer allowed to bump or even link to our previous topics, i'll just report my post every day and have it removed while i post the exact same thing 5 minutes later. By the way, you have basically invited the report system to be flooded with thread delete requests for ONE section. Have fun.

If people start making it a habit to request their threads to be deleted only to post the same thing with no actual change to your listings, we may decide to not remove your old thread and/or merge your new one with your old one. Depends on what the moderator who addresses the report decides to do. Keep in mind what I said about not doing it to excess.

Also I saw in your intial comment that "people would bump their threads hundreads of times a day". Therefore may we just 'bump' our auctions when there is an update or if there is no update may we 'bump' our auctions to advertise say 3 times per day?

I would advise making a request for deletion so that you can repost your thread only if you have an update for your thread. People bump their thread when they're not getting hits, but bumping doesn't guarantee that people will be interested either; often times it just turns into the thread starter bumping the thread but no one else ever posts.

Perhaps what OuTIAwTACO229 suggested would be more efficient for the moderators to be able to monitor which is simply just a 5 a day 'bump' option reset at login.

So far I compeletly agree with itsXthomasTAG, it makes much more sense to use a 'bump' system rather then reposting the whole auction entirely. If you do not believe so please explain why given that one would 'link' only 5 times per day and maybe an easier way of reposting the whole auction with ease for our knowledge.

That would be very hard to code into the forums. 
A quick edit: please advise if we are allowed to 'bump' at all at present. 

By posting a "link" thread? No. Not at present.

I am in favor of bumping if enough attention is on the post or even a limited amount of ads per day. I was just given my first warning because I made a new ad 3 hours after my previous ad had been posted and as such also had my newest ad removed. I understand about the linking and such but I see no problem with posting your ad again after a good amount of time has past. I also would like my warning removed if possible considering the fact that I had no idea it was considered spamming if I waited 3 hours after my original post and it was already below many, many other threads. Thank you, will await your response :)

3 hours is not a "good amount of time." If you got no real hits or offers I'd suggest waiting a full 24 hours, requesting your thread to be deleted and then after it's been removed you should post a new thread. If again you don't get very many offers, it may mean that no one is really that interested.

I can guarantee that a moderator whose sole job was to monitor this specific subforum to enforce a "max # of bumps a day" per user would quickly lose their mind. There's a reason that the ability to bump threads was removed from the trading post forum. That being said, it would be convenient for threads to get bumped if/when someone bids or makes an offer... however the forum is set by default to sort threads by their start date (rather than the typical "Recently Updated"). Bumping still technically works if you sort the forum by recently updated by hitting the sort button or by adding the "?sort_key=last_post" modifier to the end of the forum's URL in the address bar.

But the problem is that there's no way for the forum to allow everyone but the thread starter to bump a post.

For the time being I'm locking this thread, but want to let you know that your feedback on this has been heard. Luckily this will be a temporary measure until more permanent changes can be put into play... but it doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't be spamming solicitation/advertisement threads that only contain a link to your original thread. The sort by start date was enforced because excessive bumping was an issue. And this measure has been enforced because excessive linking has become an issue.

I can't say for certain, but there might be certain ways to change how this subforum works and handles threads that would help fix some of the issues and limitations. Stay posted.