Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kubrow Suggestion: Fitness + Obedience!

Arron_Rift

After taking some time to fuss about how much I hate the current kubrow set-up, I thought I'd take a moment to suggest how I'd set it up if I were in charge. I would appreciate some (nice) feedback on this, and bumps if you like it ;)

Basically, I'd get rid of the kubrows current two "maintenance" bars (genetic stability and loyalty) and make it so that the Kubrows never die permanently. A cure has released for the genetic defects, and your ship can (begrudgingly) feed and poop the dog automatically until the end of time.

Then, I'd add two new "maintenance" bars, one being "fitness" and the other being something like "obedience", "focus", or maybe even just "loyalty" (DE could choose the name, I'm focusing on mechanics).

Fitness:

Fitness would work on the same -100% to 100% meter as health currently is, but instead would affect your kubrow's speed, attack strength, AND in-mission health, though when he reached the lowest level nothing bad would happen aside from having a weakened kubrow. New kubrows start out at the halfway mark. As you take him with you on missions, he slowly gains fitness. As he lounges around in the ship eating dog kibbles while you are offline or not using him, he loses "fitness" at a very slow rate.

In time perhaps fitness could even be reflected by the kubrow's model as he grows more muscular or more round and flabby, and players could take great pride in showing off their fit kubrows and laughing at their overweight kubrows when they haven't logged in for a while.

This mechanic would be much more "overall" than the current one, slowly gaining and slowly losing. I think it would be fair for a Kubrow to go from maximum fitness to minimum fitness after 6 months of its master being completely offline, and it'd take about a 4-7 days of constant, 24 hour missions to get it all the way back to maximum health, which a normal player could reasonable accomplish in 2-3 months or regular play.

Obedience:

Obedience would be quite a bit like loyalty, but would have different effects. It would be gained in much of the same ways through petting, maybe special items or even "obedience classes" or minigames, and could be gained or lost in a week or two (balancing required).

However, instead of affecting attack multipliers as loyalty does now, it would affect "action frequency". The higher the value, the more time your kubrow spends attacking master's enemies, fetching master's ammo, etc rather than sniffing the flowers, scratching its ears, sniffing other kubrows' butts, chasing butterflies, and running away from the scary robots with guns. In other word, this value determines how much you kubrow acts like a Hound or War rather than, well, a dog ;)

Thank you for reading, I look forward to hearing what you all think, and God Bless ;D

Edit: as someone pointed out, this post regards once you have a kubrow you actually like. I'm leaving the problems with the breedings system and how to get rid of rejects to other people ;)

Edited by Arron_Rift

They have to be able to die faster than 10 days. If not the design is still TBS. Can't free up space for another unless I wait 10 days, then after that ten days you are most likely screwed over by RNG and get another reject. Extra ten days, and we all know how often RNG presents you with something desirable. I have a sentence to describe my relationship with RNG "The luck of a man holding an umbrella indoors, who steps on pavement cracks unwittingly and has a loved one dies every year just as frequent as his birthday is more reliable than RNG". To help minds grapple with this description I will use something else , RNG is less reliable than Theon Greyjoy's good fortune.

Edited by Shreiko

Basically, I'd get rid of the kubrows current two "maintenance" bars (genetic stability and loyalty) and make it so that the Kubrows never die permanently. A cure has released for the genetic defects, and your ship can (begrudgingly) feed and poop the dog automatically until the end of time.

Or the ship might do this, you never know:

^lol!

Ironically, this is kind of what the ship currently does as it sits there and watches your kubrow die from lack of meds.

"I'm sorry 'Dave fluffybelly', but your master is away on a very important mission. His mission is too important for me to allow you to interfere. I'm not going to contact him to come feed you, I can't do that. And I'm not going to push that "give injection" button myself either..."