Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Romulus, The Gladiator - Art Included [&updated!]

[DE]Artarrwen

EDITED August 6th, 2014

-Tweaked 1st power a bit to be more situational.

-Updated artwork. Added/changed some stuff in the front view, made his standard helmet flashier, added a sketchy back view.

Deviation: http://artarrwen.deviantart.com/art/Romulus-Design-Overhaul-473518271
Full body figure

romulus___design_overhaul_by_artarrwen-d
This is my first serious attempt at mimicking the Warframe art style while still retaining a bit of originality, creating something new that will fit in the game along with existing Warframes.

Standard and alternative helmets up close

GCZPPJJ.png

Romulus's standard helmet along with series 1 alternative helmet, the Crista.

Heavily inspired by helmets worn by Murmillio gladiators of ancient Rome.

Roles:
Tank, aggro, berserk. (durable, specializes in focusing enemy attention on himself; can buff himself to great effect, but for a cost of his HP)

Stats

Approximation:

Health: 120 (360 at level 30)
Shields: 90 (270 at level 30)
Armor: 300
Energy: 100 (150 at level 30)

Sprint speed: 1.0

Powers
Energy costs are to be as expected from powers of respective class, either on "one use" or "per second" basis.

1.Grievous Strike.

On use, empowers Romulus' next melee strike with additional damage and cleave effect.
Empowered attack hurts Romulus for a percentage of his own HP, and deals additional damage to enemies based on the amount of health he had lost within the last 5 seconds (counting from the moment the power was used).

Without a cast animation, use of this power is instant and will not interrupt any actions. Casting it while the weapon is already empowered will override the previous buff.
Optionally, empowered attack can use the old charge attack animations from melee 1.0 if the weapon is not equipped

2.Scorning Call
Romulus aggravates enemies within a moderate radius, forcing the affected AI to attack him. Romulus briefly gains a fixed amount of armor along with bonus percentage value granted for each affected enemy to help him tank effectively. Interactions with bosses vary. As the duration expires, enemies will stay fixed on Romulus unless their attention is drawn elsewhere.

In PVP, affected players’ Warframes will be taken over by a Specter-like AI, which will mindlessly attack Romulus without using any powers of their own. For balance purposes, armor buff, duration and radius will have to be adjusted. A cooldown/immunity mechanic might have to take place as well.

Taunt radius scales with Power Range, armor buff scales with Power Strength, forced attention duration scales with Power Duration.

3.Torturous shell
Each enemy who’s attacked Romulus while the power is active will be subject to a debuff which reduces their own armor and deals DoT.
Base duration of said debuff scales with Romulus’ armor and is refreshed for every stack 

Damage and armor reduction for an individual target stacks with amount of damage received; has a minimum stack value, thus this is triggered by every damage instance, and is improved by large amounts of damage in each individual instance.

To clarify, a burst of 50 shots, each dealing 1 damage, will each add a fixed amount of DoT and armor reduction to the attacker, while a single powerful shot will add said fixed amount of DoT and armor reduction along with percentage bonuses drawn from damage dealt by the shot, whereas in the first case this bonus was nearly non-existent.

Skill's duration scales with Power Duration

4.Battle hunger
Toggle ability. While active, boosts Romulus’ overall damage output and melee attack speed for each percentage of HP missing while also draining HP on its own. Positive buffs stack with every % of HP missing. Additionally, slight buffs are given for each kill, along with health drain rate increase. Health drain on its own is non-lethal. Romulus is immune to staggers while the power is active.
Maximum potency of buffs provided by this skill will be achieved at 2% mark.

Health drain bypasses Rage damage-to-energy conversion and Blessing’s damage resistance.

Once deactivated, goes into "recovery period" gives HP regen and armor buff but reduces movespeed, melee attack speed and damage outputs. Debuffs have fixed duration/strength values somewhat affected by duration of the power’s active state, while HP regen and armor increase are based on the amount of enemies killed during the power's active state. Cannot be recast until recovery is complete.

Below are proposed alternatives to listed powers.
These are rough, not very thought-out ideas, as such, they are inherently broken.

1. Courage
    Radial ability. Temporarily strips down any armor and shields from enemies and caster within a scaling range.
  2. Adaptive armor
    Boosts own armor by receiving damage while active. Armor boost cannot exceed a scaling margin. 
  3. Uneven odds
    Toggle ability. Creates a weakening aura, reducing enemies’ damage resistance within a moderate radius while boosting caster’s melee attack and movement speed. Aura intensifies for each enemy affected by it.
  4. Battle trance
    While active, delays all damage dealt to caster and boosts his offensive capabilities. Each enemy killed by Romulus (deaths from other sources will count only within a certain range) reduces delayed damage by a percentage. All delayed damage, after said reductions, will be dealt to caster over a short period of time once the power ends. 
  5. Bloodlust
    Improves performance of Romulus and his allies for a certain duration. Affected Tenno receive minor bonuses to movement speed and health regen for each enemy present within a large area. These buffs increase as enemies in said area receive damage. 
  6. Punishment
    Passively builds up a charge based on damage received by anyone standing within a set AoE.
    On activation, damages enemies within a set AoE according to amount of charge built up between uses.
    Has a STR-scaling cap on maximum charge stored for use.
    Warframe gradually glows brighter to indicate amount of charge stored.
  7. Unrelenting vitality
    For a short duration, Romulus transforms all incoming damage into healing. 50% is given to self; the rest is evenly split between wounded teammates and pets within a certain radius.
    Has a recovery period, during which the ability gives no self-healing and thus, half of incoming damage isn’t mitigated.
  8. Grievous Strike (As proposed by Rexlars)

Romulus conjures an energy spear (temporarily replacing his current melee weapon) with it's own set of unique combos. For the cost of the caster's own HP percentage, each strike will deal higher than average damage & damage dealt to enemies will either be: based on a percentage or ignore armor completely & damage health directly while also inflicting stagger (or with a chance to...).

In addition to it's own stats, the energy spear will use the mods currently equipped to the player's initial melee weapon. 

This can be an ability with 2 (or 5) energy p/swing in addition to sacrificing health with each strike or a 1 time deduction every few swings.

Or

Make it a 50 energy cost & it would stay active for say 5/7/9/12s while still reducing health by a percentage.

Edited by Artarrwen

Looks interesting, perhaps I'm way off with this, but the abilities do seems to be a combination of a few Heroes from Dota / Dota 2 (if you play them :P)

Axe's [berserker's Call]

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Axe

Huskar's [berserker's Blood]

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Centaur_Warrunner

Centaur's [Double Edge] /

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Huskar

That said, its a fine concept you got going on here and the frame looks decent, though the arms imo should be a bit more.... buff ? Hope to see more updates on this concept :P

Looks interesting, perhaps I'm way off with this, but the abilities do seems to be a combination of a few Heroes from Dota / Dota 2 (if you play them :P)

Axe's [berserker's Call]

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Axe

Huskar's [berserker's Blood]

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Centaur_Warrunner

Centaur's [Double Edge] /

http://dota2.gamepedia.com/Huskar

That said, its a fine concept you got going on here and the frame looks decent, though the arms imo should be a bit more.... buff ? Hope to see more updates on this concept :P

You forgot Viper's Corrosive Skin :P

I'll admit, I did think about those heroes while writing his powers down. I'll try to deviate from them a bit further.

I do recognize his limbs are somewhat skinny, will work on that.

Slightly edited the 4th power after a thought I had, turning it into somewhat reliable HP self-regen power if used correctly (previously would only restore HP lost due to the power itself).

Any more thoughts? Suggestions? Namely, for alternative powers, as I'm trying to polish those up and see if different power sets can be built.

Edited by Artarrwen

the arms imo should be a bit more.... buff ?

Proportions seem to make him feel quite lopsided and top heavy

his arms and legs look to skinny

So here's a quick line work

jG5lsPh.png

Still looks skinny?

I don't want to make him look like Rhino, proportion-wise, so I've just added a bit of mass to his forearms, thighs and calves.

So here's a quick line work

jG5lsPh.png

Still looks skinny?

I don't want to make him look like Rhino, proportion-wise, so I've just added a bit of mass to his forearms, thighs and calves.

that one looks good, but I thought you were gonna do it with the original helmet instead of the alternate

maybe adding the definite numbers would help alot for me, just go on the warframe wiki and look at the warframes stats, the numbers will specify the stats for me at least.

doesn't look like you use numbers, looking at the abilities the "no" numbers aren't much of a problem to me, by just reading I should know how powerful it might be but it might still be useful to add numbers

you didn't add a Codex Blurb nor Story.

I hope this isn't much but I just wanna ask, are you gonna make a second alternate helmet or other alternate equipment.

And shouldn't you follow this topic.

Edited by Hunter126

I'm talking about the sketch I mean, the one you're working on, it has Romulus's Crista alternate helmet on the sketch

I'm also talking about that.

The one I'm working on was what I started off with, I tend to keep the old stuff in case I need to change something other than the colors or other simple stuff, it's just how I work.

The original helm will stay, and crista will remain an alternative one.

maybe adding the definite numbers would help alot for me, just go on the warframe wiki and look at the warframes stats, the numbers will specify the stats for me at least.

doesn't look like you use numbers, looking at the abilities the "no" numbers aren't much of a problem to me, by just reading I should know how powerful it might be but it might still be useful to add numbers

you didn't add a Codex Blurb nor Story.

I hope this isn't much but I just wanna ask, are you gonna make a second alternate helmet or other alternate equipment.

Yea, come to think of it I could do stats, those aren't hard.

I can't write lore stuff for S#&$, so yeah, better stick to what I'm able to do. 

I'm actually going to do a third helmet, an armor set (probably, not sure yet), maybe a syandana, just not all at once.

Originally I planned for this to eventually grow into something big and detailed, if this gets enough attention.

I'm checking the fan concepts subform pretty often anyway.

Edited by Artarrwen

I ordered them in numbers to tell you what I'm talking about

1.I'm also talking about that.
The one I'm working on was what I started off with, I tend to keep the old stuff in case I need to change something other than the colors or other simple stuff, it's just how I work.
The original helm will stay, and crista will remain an alternative one.

2.Yea, come to think of it I could do stats, those aren't hard.

I can't write lore stuff for S#&$, so yeah, better stick to what I'm able to do. 

3.I'm actually going to do a third helmet, an armor set (probably, not sure yet), maybe a syandana, just not all at once.
Originally I planned for this to eventually grow into something big and detailed, if this gets enough attention.

4.I'm checking the fan concepts subforum pretty often anyway.

1.Yea Okay, but I like your sketching and the one you have right now along with the alternate, it looks alot like it would be an alternate.

2.Specific stats are easy to understand for me

3.okay so you aren't good at lore but maybe just a Codex Blurb then I'll try to think of one, when I think of one so I'll help. anyway i think your concept could gain attention, would look like it, everyone's concept are trying to grow into something great, I used to be impatient but now I'm becoming patient and will let this concept flow, take your time, its yours of course.

Shows what I think if this gets attention (read if you think this would get attention)

Hmm usually if concepts caught alot of attention, I send to DE 2 times, that's what i would usually do but should i for this one?

first will be the

Early Results- just to see what has happened so far, makes them look forward to next updates or just to see if it's good so far.

(this would be sent when the concept has been updated alot or major update that makes it look ready).

then the second and last, the

Real Deal- shows the final results, showing them the final and true update, making a big decision if its good or not.

(this would be sent when your Final Update occurs, when you are done updating because you are finished and will keep it like that your final result).

this is actually what I'm thinking to any concept that is popular or looks popular or looks like it will become popular.

I know its early to think of this but I can't predict the attention but I'll hope it

4. yeah you can follow when you have multiple concepts, if its on another page or both.

I'm following because I followed multiple concepts to see whats happening to them so I want to see what happens here as well.

Edited by Hunter126

You should call him Ares

That might fit, except it's a Greek deity.

Then again, Romans were influenced by Greek mythology.

okay so you aren't good at lore but maybe just a Codex Blurb then I'll try to think of one, when I think of one so I'll help.

I'll work on a Codex entry once I'm done with the first update.

I did not read the alternative powers you had listed at the bottom, I will suggest this though:

I will not include any numbers or values simply because I cannot math. 

Grievous Strike: Romulus conjures an energy spear (temporarily replacing his current melee weapon) with it's own set of unique combos. For the cost of the caster's own HP percentage, each strike will deal higher than average damage & damage dealt to enemies will either be: based on a percentage or ignore armor completely & damage health directly while also inflicting stagger (or with a chance to...).

In addition to it's own stats, the energy spear will use the mods currently equipped to the player's initial melee weapon. 

This can be an ability with 2 (or 5) energy p/swing in addition to sacrificing health with each strike or a 1 time deduction every few swings.

Or possibly

Make it a 50 energy cost & it would stay active for say 5/7/9/12s while still reducing health by a percentage.

Again, I don't math so..

In my mind, this would essentially make Romulus (who's name I think should stay Romulus) the melee master class; a testament to his gladiator theme. With this ability, the other powers you have listed, & melee channeling, he'd slaughter every enemy on screen while also withstanding a beating when modded correctly. 

Edit: I guess I could've used the edit feature on my post above lol. 

Edited by Rexlars