Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Scove... Steve And Scott Beard-Fusion - Zerojackdaw's Art Fudge

ZeroJackdaw

The ungodly horror...Entry for Grineer Stache 11/18/2014

6cEn9MF.jpg

Full post here:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/345914-new-grineer-stache-creation-contest/?p=3889239

8/13/2014 Kubrow Plush WIP 1- https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/282141-kubrow-plushiepuppet-wip-shots-zerojackdaws-art-sriracha-sauce/?p=3309528

8/6/2014 Kubrow puppy bellies sketches - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/282141-kubrow-prepare-to-daww-edition-puppy-sketches-zerojackdaws-art-stroopwafels/page-3#entry3261878

Tenno Unmasked series:

Set 3 - Rhino and Oberon

qNuwm6e.jpg

8/5/2014 Silly Nekros cuteness is for Kubrows -  https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/282141-tenno-unmasked-valkyr-and-nekros-zerojackdaws-art-couscous/page-3#entry3254592

Set 2 - Nekros and Valkyr (featured on Prime Time!)

immE3uT.jpg

(Perhaps the scariest of the Tenno, but they're nice deep down. Working out the colors still, but here's the black and white)

Set 1 - Excalibur and Mag

mk3bjON.jpg

I know what you're thinking. "Behind the mask is another mask! That's such bullsheets I need my beautiful gorgeous human Tenno that look like supermodels!" With that I promptly put a finger on your lips as I explain.

[Note: Though I provide evidence for the reason behind the design, this does not mean this is 100% how the Tenno would look. There is so little lore about the Tenno's visage, that this is clearly simply how I would envision it looking based on what is given. Please don't take offense if this depiction does not match your own, but rather you're welcome to critique how it could be made better and more accurate. :D]

Be warned it is a bit of a doozy, I put a lot of thought into how they would look:

First off, as much as I love the human version of Tenno, I wanted to try to go with a depiction that matches with lore, and if you read Excalibur's codex...

"The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed. We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction"

...it doesn't really suggest a beautiful human lies under that suit. Also looking at Orokin architecture something is...off about the design of the suits. While the Orokin structure is very geometric with clean lines and refined edge-work, the warframes are often not. Even the Primed frames are oddly organic looking and the standard warframes especially have features that would seem strange for Orokin design if something strictly humanoid lay beneath. If these creatures had frames literally "built around them," I thought perhaps these shapes are actually apart of the Tenno that had been "twisted" by the Void.

Secondly if we look at what Technocyte does to flesh, its not a pretty picture. Yes, the Tenno are not afflicted by the virus and are immune, but immunity simply means you can survive the pathogen not that you aren't changed by it. So I added the look of the infested to the frames in a more controlled manner. This follows Dark Sector lore, but if you look at Warframe lore specifically, it would make sense that the Tenno have molded to their suits after centuries of cryosleep. Also being trapped in a suit for so long, the flesh would likely be flimsy and pale to some degree and healing awkwardly in the confines of a warframe. It could even be that this pattern imprinted on the Tenno's skin rather than the other way around.

And why in this design the Tenno have mouths but also can't speak? One, the Tenno breathe, because otherwise Survival missions would be a Hek of a lot easier. Also it is implied they breathe from their helmet hence why your Warframe expels a frosty breath when you have a nice romp on the ice maps. Perhaps the most obvious of all is both Mirage's lore (smiling) and Valkyr screaming suggest they have mouths of some sort.

However, there isn't much evidence to suggest that the Tenno have normal human eyes as most warframes aren't designed in a way that suggest the Tenno can see out of them. Also Alad V comment's on this trait during the Gradivus Dilemma:

""Tenno, you know, we may not always see eye to eye... well, you don't have eyes but I'm pleased we've found common ground in our fight with these Grineer dogs."

With that you might reply that why are visual displays in the ship a thing? Well, it might be that they have an innate sense of their environment or that a UI is a game mechanic that is necessary for the sighted player. *shrugs* Mostly I wanted to mimic the eyeless design of the Lotus as it would sort of make sense if Tenno shared this trait.

The Tenno's skin I wanted to look almost like a metallic flesh with a reddish subsurface scattering. Tenno do have a bleed proc and will spurt a red fluid when damaged (which may not be blood, as Moa and other proxies bleed too). Also if the Void can twist the flesh so easily, the Tenno likely didn't start off as hardened beings so to sort of put that aspect in the design they look translucent and almost squishy like jellyfish but crystallized into a bizarre shape.

Specifically for Mag, her helm gives off a cloudy glow that spreads out as if it was contained within glass... so why not have her forehead literally emanating that effect? And for Excalibur, I sort of pulled the look of his implied mouth into the design.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. What do you think the Tenno look like? Also feel free to suggest what frames I do next. :D

Concept Designs for Warframe:

Warframe Concept - Qyl : The Bladed Trap Warframe

iZh1VNj.jpg

Full Concept can be read here:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/257991-ability-change-73114-qyl-bladed-trap-warframe-concept-4th-ability-sacrificial-snare-added/

RedText the Warframe - DE Steve Joke Concept:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/256748-desteves-redtext-the-god-of-hotfixes-with-new-animation-by-thebestusername-7614/

Warframe Contest Entries

In order from latest to oldest:

Warframe T-Shirt Contest:

Winning Entry: KubrO's

tumblr_n7vzgaMMDY1tetamlo1_500.jpg

(This is the second finalized revision given to DE, which added Syandana banners, color change, and a few more characters.does not include "Thanks Tenno" mark. Note: This design was created before the Kubrow was in the game and was based solely on the original concept art and animation tests from the Devstreams.)

Codex Art Entry:

(Note: Image too large for forums. Click to see.)

http://i.imgur.com/xTUIcOW.jpg

Enemies of the Tenno Entries: (All with Art)

(Weirdly, most of these were drawn in one night. The Disgorger in particular was done right after my finals, and I pulled another all-nighter getting it done before the deadline. That was a fun experience. At least it got 2nd place. XD )

Disgorger Infested Enemy Concept:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/225734-enemies-of-the-tenno-infested-submissions/page-68#entry2655280

Achillies Beetle Corpus Proxy Concept:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/229158-enemies-of-the-tenno-corpus-submissions/page-22#entry2693115

The Puppeteer, Grineer Enemy Concept:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/232592-enemies-of-the-tenno-grineer-submissions/page-9#entry2712994

A Call for Comics Contest Entry:

(This was my first ever fanart for warframe, oddly made only mere days after joining the game and watching my first Prime Time. I want expecting to actually place 3rd but I was really thankful. D: The comic was actually about my first impression of the game. I thought the game was really great, but honestly the mini-game hacking was seemed so silly and simple in context I had to do a comic on it. I was even nervous posting because I was so new and didn't know the game very well. I had just beaten Alad V for the first time when I made it... ohhh, memories.)

olJdbjQ.jpg

(More art will be archived and updated as this thread progresses)

Edited by ZeroJackdaw

I <3 It!

Too often we tend to assume that the Tenno are normal people just like us. This fanart showcases that they may well be beyond our comprehension of normal humanity, corrupted and torn apart by the Void

Also, May I suggest doing Nekros?

Edited by Somedude1000

That is certainly not what I expected to see when I clicked on this thread, but wow. That is a very neat and unique twist on the "Tenno unmasked" fanart genre. +1 OP.

Edited by Imaru12

That is certainly not what I expected to see when I clicked on this thread, but wow. That is a very neat and unique twist on the "Tenno unmasked" fanart genre. +1 OP.

Why thank you. :D

Valkyr and rhino next sounds interesting. Really love this idea!

Still trying to work out how both of those frames would look. Perhaps, the rhinoskin is also spreading on the Tenno underneath for Rhino, and Valkyr has Corpus tech embedded into her face. Ohohoho.

Also, May I suggest doing Nekros?

...Oh my God yes. Nekros has one of just the best designs. Playing with his terrifying look in flesh...

*cracks open a can of nightmare fuel*

Very, very nice. Amazing. Unfortunately I can only give you one upvote.

Not going to lie though, I saw the title and thought "Another one of these? I bet they look just as generic and overly sexualised as usual."

But this is some of the best fan art I have seen in a long time.

Why thank you. :D

Still trying to work out how both of those frames would look. Perhaps, the rhinoskin is also spreading on the Tenno underneath for Rhino, and Valkyr has Corpus tech embedded into her face. Ohohoho.

...Oh my God yes. Nekros has one of just the best designs. Playing with his terrifying look in flesh...

*cracks open a can of nightmare fuel*

Rhino probly will have like, bumps,and hardened flesh thats flaking like mountain ridge rocks perhaps?

Valkyr might just be like a translucent being with no eyes, and you can seee her skullcap open on one side, with boiling red rage building up below her skin and fuming out from her head

Nekros, would be like a mass of tendrils with glowing dark smoke around him, and they open up to expose his skull with predator-like jaws

Finally...a proper Tenno face concept. I can't stand the thought of Tenno having a human body, not in this "suit". As for the eyes, Alad V did mention we do not have eyes like he and other humans have, but that doesn't mean Tenno can't see anything. Could be another sense they have, all the way to a suit capability i.e. suit sensors communicating with body.

Again, props for not following the cliche "anime" style and staying lore friendly!

Edited by xxx7

TJugT5u.jpg

A bit of how it was conceptualized. My sketchwork is chicken-scratch. XD

Finally...a proper Tenno face concept. I can't stand the thought of Tenno having a human body, not in this "suit". As for the eyes, Alad V did mention we do not have eyes like he and other humans have, but that doesn't mean Tenno can't see anything. Could be another sense they have, all the way to a suit capability i.e. suit sensors communicating with body.

Again, props for not following the cliche "anime" style and staying lore friendly!

Hmm, I thought Alad V was referring to the Lotus with that statement but I think I might be remembering wrong. I'll go check the wiki and add it to the "reasons this design follows lore" section. XD

Edit: Found it, and added it in.

And it saddened me that there wasn't any Tenno concepts that followed lore. So I just figured, why not give it a shot. Also I like painting disgusting things, so drawing supermodel/anime type things aren't really my cup of tea.

As for the next ones, valkyr and zephyr would be two I would love to see your take on!

Fuuuuu--- I love Zephyr so much. She has to be my favorite female frame. Followed shortly by Nova and Valkyr of course.
 (Mobility frames are the true members of the master-race *is shot*)

-snip-

Ahh yeah, I really picture that for Rhino. Valkyr I sort of imagine with more circuitry, as the Corpus sort of...well tampered with her everything. Nekros, I dunno, the hood bit is a weird thing to sort of work out in an organic way. He'd also probably have very little "flesh" on him anyway. XD

Not going to lie though, I saw the title and thought "Another one of these? I bet they look just as generic and overly sexualised as usual."

But this is some of the best fan art I have seen in a long time.

...I sort of wonder how I could redo the title to make people not expect anime-bruhaha, but alas, I'm afraid that's sort of ingrained into the fan art forum a little too far.

Edit: Aaaaand, changed the title. Hopefully people won't think that now.

Edited by ZeroJackdaw

- Archive of all my Warframe Art coming in the meantime here's the newest batch of eye-food -

mk3bjON.jpg

I know what you're thinking. "Behind the mask is another mask! That's such bullsheets I need my beautiful gorgeous human Tenno that look like supermodels!" With that I promptly put a finger on your lips as I explain.

Be warned it is a bit of a doozy, I put a lot of thought into how they would look:

First off, as much as I love the human version of Tenno, I wanted to try to go with a depiction that matches with lore, and if you read Excalibur's codex...

"The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed. We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction"

...it doesn't really suggest a beautiful human lies under that suit. Also looking at Orokin architecture something is...off about the design of the suits. While the Orokin structure is very geometric with clean lines and refined edge-work, the warframes are often not. Even the Primed frames are oddly organic looking and the standard warframes especially have features that would seem strange for Orokin design if something strictly humanoid lay beneath. If these creatures had frames literally "built around them," I thought perhaps these shapes are actually apart of the Tenno that had been "twisted" by the Void.

Secondly if we look at what Tennocyte does to flesh, its not a pretty picture. Yes, the Tenno are not afflicted by the virus and are immune, but immunity simply means you can survive the pathogen not that you aren't changed by it. So I added the look of the infested to the frames in a more controlled manner.

And why in this design the Tenno have mouths but also can't speak? One, the Tenno breathe, because otherwise Survival missions would be a Hek of a lot easier. Also it is implied they breathe from their helmet hence why your Warframe expels a frosty breath when you have a nice romp on the ice maps. Perhaps the most obvious of all is both Mirage's lore (smiling) and Valkyr screaming suggest they have mouths of some sort.

However, there isn't much evidence to suggest that the Tenno have normal human eyes as most warframes aren't designed in a way that suggest the Tenno can see out of them. Also Alad V common's on this trait during the Gradivus Dilemma:

""Tenno, you know, we may not always see eye to eye... well, you don't have eyes but I'm pleased we've found common ground in our fight with these Grineer dogs."

With that you might reply that why are visual displays in the ship a thing? Well, it might be that they have an innate sense of their environment or that a UI is a game mechanic that is necessary for the sighted player. *shrugs* Mostly I wanted to mimic the eyeless design of the Lotus as it would sort of make sense if Tenno shared this trait.

The Tenno's skin I wanted to look almost like a metallic flesh with a reddish subsurface scattering. Tenno do have a bleed proc and will spurt a red fluid when damaged (which may not be blood, as Moa and other proxies bleed too). Also if the Void can twist the flesh so easily, the Tenno likely didn't start off as hardened beings so to sort of put that aspect in the design they look translucent and almost squishy like jellyfish but crystallized into a bizarre shape.

Specifically for Mag, her helm gives off a cloudy glow that spreads out as if it was contained within glass... so why not have her forehead literally emanating that effect? And for Excalibur, I sort of pulled the look of his implied mouth into the design.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. What do you think the Tenno look like? Also feel free to suggest what frames I do next. :D

This is awesome. And the logic is strong in this.

Edited by Drakeardian

They look so unstable. I love it!

Only their Warframes can contain their destructive powers.

Especially Mag, she looks like she would have this strong magnetic field around her that causes the environment around her to be a hazardous zone to be in. Magnetizing nearby objects not of her free will, destroying computers and other nearby electronics, and any living things near her as well.

Edited by FFSMage

Oh yes, they're finally here! I'm so happy that you decided to put this through your artistic scope and also deliver it, just like we talked about it a while ago :) Mag looks like you've ripped her out straight from my mind XD Great job.

As a spoken advocate for anti-human looking Tenno based on the known lore and for rooting things in a plausible way, here is some constructive critique for your trains of thought;

>> Secondly if we look at what Tennocyte does to flesh, its not a pretty picture.

You might want to redo this part. There is nothing as the TENNOcyte, what you mean is the TECHNOcyte Virus, and there is no support that Tenno are afflicted by it. The Orokin used said Virus to battle the Sentients, and that didn't quite work as well, with the repercussions still being around to the present day in form of the Infested.

As far as Warframe goes, there is no solid evidence that the Technocyte Virus had any part in transforming the "test subjects" into Tenno, as the Void and the Virus are two very different things. Also, so much time has passed between both games even IF they are both considered Canon to each other, and how much or how little the Developers have taken from "Dark Sector" remains to be seen.

Only because it is mentioned that Hayden Tenno might be the first "Tenno", doesn't mean that all Tenno have been forged in his image reproducing the exact steps. As far as we know, the Orokin might as well have discovered the myth, tried to recreate it, failed doing so, and went to the Void to try an alternative.

>> And why in this design the Tenno have mouths but also can't speak?

>> ...and Valkyr screaming suggest they have mouths of some sort.

I think it is a bit dull to assume the Tenno - who have been pushed to a metaphysical plane nobody of us can imagine - still function exactly the same as we do. Valkyr's scream might be more of a telepathic manifestation than anything else.

Furthermore, if you look at the suits which are that skin-tight, it is pretty obvious why the Tenno don't talk. Have you ever tried speaking with your jaws clenched together by a helmet, with barely enough room in for air to pass to your nose? Right :D

Another possibility would be... choice. Simply not talking to the "lesser minds" as act of intimidation and communicating via telepathy or a cybernetic communication interface that links the Tenno together would do the trick quite nicely. I mean, Lotus talks to us - exclusively to us - and is not heard by any outsider.

An entirely different take might again be rooted in basic physiology; it doesn't matter if you have a mouth or not, if your voice box isn't functioning :P

>> However, there isn't much evidence to suggest that the Tenno have normal human eyes as most warframes aren't designed in a way that suggest the Tenno can see out of them.

You don't need an armored visor to see things. There are other ways to make things "see-through." from one direction. The helmets just might as well have sophisticated sensors to directly feed the information into the Tenno's conscious. Because yay technology.

Well, granted, this is a bit of a controverse topic, as it needs to be look at from both sides; just because people like Alad or Ruk say we don't have eyes, doesn't mean that they're right. Obfuscating eyes is another form of intimidation because there is nothing for your enemy to "connect" to in a predatory sense. However, Alad might have cut open enough Tenno to know it for a fact - yet there is also not enough evidence to support or neglect this argument, since we don't get any specifics on these laboratory journals. But we just have to look onto our very own present planet Earth in order to check for organisms which don't need to "see" in order to "perceive" their surroundings.

Which leads me to the next point;

>> Well, it might be that they have an innate sense of their environment or that a UI is a game mechanic that is necessary for the sighted player

I agree with pretty much both of it, and here are my thoughts to support this; Only because something doesn't have eyes, doesn't mean they can't "see" things.

I'd like to bring back into mind that the Tenno have been thrown into the Void and back. Who knows how this affected their senses and forged new ones / melted existing ones together. This is why I rather go down the road of "perceive" and not "see." Remember the parts of my Mag fanfiction I showed you? She perceives the world in colours based on the material, not on actual colours and the respective colour is higher or lower saturated depending on how dense the object is. Not to mention that certain electronic pulses are observed below / inside said objects.

In case of the UI, Warframe is a TPS game first and Lore is optional. So it HAS to be comfortable for the player first and foremost. Because, hey, we're humans :D And this is also why things inside the game should also not be taken too literal. Robotics bleeding because game mechanic, not because it makes sense. Surely I would love to see the bleed effect on Robotics being black-brownish as representation of hydraulic fluid, but then I would need to ask in turn "why do flying units like Ospreys and Orokin Drones need HYDRAULIC parts for?"

Again, Game > Lore. Making it plausible is not mandatory, especially not in a stage where systems are being drastically changed.

So again, back to the original intent of the topic;

*thumping heartbeats* all my love for these concepts. Finally someone that runs on the same level of realistic imagination and has the ability to express it visually, which I certainly can not :D

This art is great indeed, just you may want to edit out that 'follows lore' part of the title, mostly because of the little lore we have there is nothing that we have been officially given that explicitly gives any indication of the appereance of the Tenno.

People seeing them as humans may just be as right as your interpretation.

Edited by RahuStalker

I adore the non-human approach to thinking about them!

I know it's something that's been discussed a lot but your art style really gets the visuals down to a tee. Those things actually look like void-twisted beings that'd need to be contained within the Warframes

If you're going to be doing more of these I'd love to see your ideas for Loki!

Edited by Santaphrax

This wouldn't work as their unmasked heads. Because of how suits of armor works a persons head will always be smaller than the helmet, more so with cyber helmets to fit in the electrical systems to make the helmet work. You're depicting them as skin tight helmets, which wouldn't work with the science that game has portrayed and it contradicts specific warframe alternative helmets (rhino)

Technically this doesn't even follow the Lore, Blinding hellspace and twisted individuals yeah, but we don't know in what connotation. The tenno could be twisted in that men are now women, or even to the extent where they couldn't even be considered human in the first place. We have no lore background to make such assumptions

Edited by wolf96781

Interesting idea, but just refrain from slamming other artists' perceptions of unmasked Warframes. You didn't do so literally in your post, but I get that impression from it.

With regards to following canon, I can't say that this nor any other artist's envisioning of the Tenno does follow canon. Primarily because the game does not have an established canonical universe for people to work off of. Everything we draw is headcanon. How we envision our Tenno. There is no right or wrong to it.

-snip-

This is why you don't cite lore when it's 1 in the morning, you spell Technocyte wrong. And no the Tenno certainly have nothing to do with the virus unless you bring in Dark Sector (but that's another can of worms). But, and I may be mistaken in this, wasn't the Technocyte derived from the Void? At any rate, I suppose they could have these malformed shapes from being in their warframes for centuries. That's not going to do wonders for you complexion.

Actually I was only planning on giving a few warframes distinct mouths. Excalibur for one, because his helmet design sort of...begs for it in my mind. Mag I actually picture, has the idea of a mouth, but its locked in place. Especially for frames that don't have a distinct jaw, I was thinking of wiping out the mouth entirely (or only the faint markings of a mouth still remain). Although how I'm drawing Nekros, he has his mouth completely agape, but it's locked in that state and doesn't move.

It's not that I think they need a mouth to speak, it's that they need something on their face to breathe (hence the whole breath coming out of the helmet). But really there's a number inexplicable ways they could breathe out of their face, they are aliens after all.

Last part of the mouth thing, I think it's the designer coming out of me saying they need something human to ground them and make them appealing. Which is bad, but it's sort of what every designer does. I want you to think of every alien popularized by media, and every one of them (except maybe more formless, blob-like creatures) have...sadly, some human trait in them. I don't think its a good thing, but I admit it leeches onto my design quite a bit at times... because its hammered into you that a good character has to have a readable face.

See, that's what edges me toward the fact that they don't have eyes. Alad V cuts open Warframes as a hobby, and if he makes a comment that Tenno don't have eyes...well... I assume he knows enough of Tenno anatomy by dissecting as many as he has.

And I'm so glad you liked it overall. :D

-snip-

I only put that because people mistook it for anime otherwise. I can't win it seems unless I put a disclaimer on a disclaimer.

I'm not trying to put any other interpretation down, just to simply give another option. I don't mean to come off as a pretentious prude. D:

Aaaand, removed the subtext in the title.

-snip-

Somehow if the twisting process is completely random, I don't think it would spring perfect curves onto a male figure, but that would be hilarious.

In a way, I picture the cybernetics actually boring down into the Tenno's flesh and not just resting on the surface (making it impossible to separate Warframe from Tenno). And the heads are smaller, they simply form to the shape of the helmet. *shrug* Again, it's just an option and an opinion. I mostly just took what was said in the Excalibur entry and just got inspired from it to try my hand at making a Tenno.

-snip-

Nope, it certainly does not mean this is the definitive answer, and that's the beautiful thing. I was just trying to follow what we have to go by as strictly as possible, and even that is assuredly up for debate. I actually stated that I like the human interpretation of it, and I honestly even like the "Tenno are just energy" version even more that Vor claims. In that way, all possibilities are true. Schrodinger's cat is both alive and dead, because we haven't the ability to confirm anything and I hope we never will. The Tenno are so mysterious. It would seem wrong be certain of their identity, but its fun to guess.

Edited by ZeroJackdaw