Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Notifier - Email Notifications For ? Alerts

arune

Warframe Notifier (alpha)

So, I kinda got used to receiving alert notifications as emails. In a sudden moment of insanity, inspired by a bottle of red wine, I wrote a small application that tracks the warframe alerts twitter and send emails when interesting alerts are happening.

I made this just for myself, but I think other people may enjoy it as well. So, if you want to receive email notifications about alerts, go to this website and punch in your email, and you should start receiving them (there's no success notification, if the website says it entered ok, you should start receiving notifications):

http://tantrum.ath.cx/deice/warframeNotifier.php

DISCLAIMER: This is a quick hack made in a couple of hours, and I'm not affiliated with DE in any way. No guarantee given, if it breaks, you get to keep all the pieces.

Privacy policy: Emails will be only used for notifications from this application, and possible administrative communications.

Continuity: I also make no guarantees of continued operation of this application, but I'll try to toss an email to all registered if I decide to take it down.

Technical summary:

- Polls twitter @WarframeAlerts for messages containing "(Artifact)" or "(Blueprint)" or anything after "[0-9]cr -".

I think that's all the good notifications, if you have suggestions of more, do tell.

- Polling means there's a small time delay from tweet to email. It should be only a few minutes though.

- Sends email to everybody registered on the above URL if a new matching alert is detected.

Future ideas (If I manage to gather the will to spend more time on this. Currently not looking likely, busy with work):

- Customized alerts: Select what artifacts / BPs you want to be notified of

- Pretty web interface

- Authentication of subscribe / unsubscribe

- Twitter push notifications (faster response time to tweets)

Troubleshooting if you are not receiving notifications:

- Check your junk mails, e.g. gmail very easily sorts the notifications automatically there. Add warframe dot notifier at tantrum dot ath dot cx to your address book as a trusted sender. This is the top 1 reason why notifications don't seem to arrive.

- If you typoed your email, its not going to be delivered and I will have to remove it from the DB. Don't make typo's in your email address. (I've seen gmall, gamll gmailll etc...)

- In one case, a certain korean ISP was bouncing my mails as spam. Nothing I can do about that, one option you can try is to try making a gmail mailbox just for the messages.

- If nothing else works, PM me on the forums with your email address and I can tell you if its in the DB and getting sent fine.

Best Regards, Arune

Edited by arune

Great idea! But would it be possible to have a version that just had blueprints? I already have all the artifacts I care about, and it doesn't seem like you can actually get extras yet

It would be very much possible, I was thinking it would be nice to even filter based on the exact blueprint (so you could select just the ones you want). Problem is, that would require me to write a proper database and admin interface for the service, where you can choose what you want alerts for, and that is :effort:.

So we will see when / if I get around to that.

This it really great! Thank you for the effort arune.

I would say that those desiring less information can probably set up a filter of the notifications on your email client side. I know this is quite easy in gmail.

ie

if address = warframealerts@arunesdomain.com & in body != artifact

then deliver

else delete

Continuity: I also make no guarantees of continued operation of this application, but I'll try to toss an email to all registered if I decide to take it down.

Arune,

Is there any chance you would share the code you're using to do this?

Thanks again for the effort.

Edited by hywod

Is there any chance you would share the code you're using to do this?

Thanks again for the effort.

If I stop it, I will definitely share the code. I will probably share it at some point anyway, as soon as I get around to cleaning it up a bit.

Its a horrible mess of Java mashed in a single class at the moment, combined with PHP for registration. I would need to refactor it a bit so I'm not ashamed of it before letting others see it :D

Edited by arune

Aand first issue hit. Last nights Dark Sword alert did not contain (Blueprint) and so was not detected. I will have to revise the filter. Probably to just relay any alarm with text after the credit amount.

Well, never mind, the actually working Dark Sword alert was never on the official Twitter Feed anyway. I still added an extra rule, if the tweet contains "Dark Sword", it will be forwarded (that would've caught the "buggy" dark sword alert that was posted on Twitter).

Edited by arune

Had some connectivity issues today, but no alerts were lost. Due to some problems restarting the application had to restore db from couple of hours old backup. Bug is fixed, but if you subscribed today, might want to redo it, in case it got lost. I really should rewrite this to use a real DB soon.

Also, Mr. "Blur Falcon" and Mr. "Neosix", if those names ring a bell, the email addresses you entered were not valid and bounced, so I removed them. Recheck your address and add it again.

What would be nice to add as well is maybe (Optional obviously) an email for any alert that starts, even without a ?. I normally do the alerts for easy money and it would be nice to know when they start.

Yeah, that would be nice ... so nice, that the last time they had it, so many people asked for alert notifications that it crushed the server.

Follow the twitter feed https://twitter.com/warframealerts'>@WarframeAlerts 

Edited by DataShade

Yes, I'm not going to include credit only alerts in this, to reduce the amount of emails my server has to send.

If you want all alerts, follow the twitter, or use a notification program (check Alert notifications forum, there's one posted there). Or you can just setup twitter to send you the emails if you want all of them :)

Signed up to it yesterday and unsigned today. I was using it to get alerts to my iphone. Recieved the alerts alright but also got 15 mails with: No sender, no content and no subject. Im only guessing it was related to this due to the timing.

Definitely should not happen, I have not seen this at least, I'm subscribed to it myself.

Of course it could be a really strange bug. If you still have one of thse emails, would you mind forwarding it to the address where the notifications come from? I want to see the headers.