Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Warframe Concept] Arma, The Dark Knight

ShinNagakure

EruIpWH.png

EDIT: I fixed an issue with the line art, and scaled down the image resolution to something much more appropriate.

Hi everyone!

I'm Travis Harris, a production artist, illustrator, animator, and a founding contributor to Warframe.  I've pretty much just lurked around the official forums up until now, but I have been fairly active in the http://reddit.com/r/Warframe community.

Since I just finished up my degree in computer animation, I've been working on ways to beef up my portfolio, and I thought coming up with a cool Warframe concept would be a nifty idea.  I've been sharing the design process with the reddit community, and it seems to have generated quite a lot of hype, so I figured I'd share it here with you guys and the fine folks at Digital Extremes.  I have a few progress posts up, for those who are interested in the design and development process for ARMA:

1. http://imgur.com/FG2adej

2. http://imgur.com/3Vi5BPC

3. http://imgur.com/Q1EuQaw

4. http://imgur.com/MD7XOEF

5. http://imgur.com/bhnL6zh

The themes at work in this design are "dark knight", "bull", and "void".  I figured since we have a paladin-type character in OBERON, the game could use a dark knight-type character as his counterpart.  Instead of light, righteousness, and justice, ARMA's motivations are darkness, punishment, and retribution.  ARMA's gameplay style revolves around high risk/high reward abilities that require you to balance health management and offense.  He excels at close quarters combat, reducing enemy effectiveness, and crowd control, favoring melee over ranged encounters.

I've also developed an abilities list for the character (with the help of some awesome redditors), but do take it with a grain of salt; I didn't exactly spend a lot of time thinking about things like gameplay balance and whatnot. ;)

GORE

- ARMA lunges forward, goring a single target with his horns, dealing Puncture damage and launching it into the air in a ragdoll state (similar to the second strike of Decisive Judgement’s E > Hold E melee combo)

- Simultaneously, ARMA projects a forward volley of barbs in a cone-shaped pattern, knocking down frontal enemies, dealing Piercing damage and causing Weakened status to all enemies in range for 4/6/8/10 seconds.

- Damage dealt is based on the amount of health damage ARMA has sustained, multiplied by 1.25/1.5/1.75/2

SANGUINE SPEAR

- Impale single enemy with thrown Void energy spear; affected enemy takes heavy Puncture damage and Weakened status on impact

- If enemy is killed on impact, its body is ragdolled and thrown backward (similar to Boltor/Despair kills)

- If enemy survives impact, it can still move and attack, but remains impaled for 5/7/9/11 seconds, during which time its movement and actions are slowed by 30%

- While the spear remains in the enemy, it continuously drains the enemy's health and transfers 60%/70%/80%/90% of it to ARMA

- If impaled enemy's health is completely drained, it dies

- If impaled enemy dies, the spear dissipates

- If ARMA strikes impaled enemy with a melee attack, the spear fractures and explodes, dealing AoE Blast damage to surrounding enemies and knocking them down

VOID HAND

- ARMA casts a frontal Void energy shield that captures incoming enemy projectiles

- Shield remains up until manually deactivated; drains energy while up

- While the shield is up, ARMA is immobile but can rotate

- Once deactivated, the shield forcefully throws all captured projectiles in the chosen direction, dealing damage to any enemies/objects in the projection path

BLITZ

- ARMA becomes sheathed in Void energies.  While active:

- Blitz constantly drains ARMA’s health and energy at a moderate rate

- ARMA's movement speed is increased

- All enemies who physically contact ARMA while he is sprinting, sliding, somersaulting, or wall running receive Blast damage and are knocked down; enemies who are killed as a result of this damage are ragdolled

- All enemies who strike ARMA with melee or projectile attacks receive 60%/80%/100%/120% reflected damage

- Blitz stops once deactivated by the player, or once energy reserves are depleted, or once ARMA’s health reaches 5 or less

Edited by ShinNagakure
  • Like 3

Looks cool would be interesting if this is put in. His stats are balanced, his design is good and his powers sound awesome. Personally coming up with my own knight themed frame(secondary theme metal) but he probably wont hold a candle to this guy(but he will still be better then that garbage momentum themed frame concept i made)

Edited by warpath514

WOW! very cool! He looks very Western compared to the other Warframes (who are obviously ninjas). I wish I had the right program to draw digitally. I always draw on pencil and paper.

If this Warframe was added to the roster, I would definitely farm the parts for him! amazing job!.

me too but I'm bad at drawing

so many good artists like this guy

and isn't Hydroid a pirate or something

Nice design and cool concept in general.  The abilities do sound too OP, but that's in the numbers.  IMO, all warframe concepts here should keep the numbers out, but that's off-topic.  

So many dps frames lose their edge in end-game, but this frame looks like it would perform really well overall.

I was just thinking, isn't it a little odd for his Blitz ability to go from partially negating and reflecting damage at base level to fully negating it and even multiplying it?

Seems a little inconsistent, the ability starts as a buffed up Link but ends as a fusion of Hysteria and Absorb. Unless I'm interpretting it wrong, and OP just needs to better specify whether the ability actually negates damage or not.