Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tennovision - An In Game Grineer And Corpus Signage Translator

ElHefe

Background:

The distinctiveness of Grineer "punch card" characters and Corpus Cyrillic-styled alphabet is an elegant device to augment game immersion

Limitation:

The lack of a "translation" leaves the player wondering that they are missing out on something interesting to know about the Grineer or Corpus

Suggestion:

1. Include a "hand held" language translator similar to the Tenno Scanner

2. The translator is kept in storage along with usable items

3. Allows the player to read in their preferred language (English, French, Spanish, Russian etc) what a monitor screen or a wall, floor, flag what is written in Grineer or Corpus

4. Use charges like the Tenno Scanner

5. Include data entries into the Codex

Purpose:

1. A way to provide additional game lore about the different factions

2. Potentially infinitely expandable ... can repeat mission and get a different message to read on a Grineer or Corpus screen

3. Could provide in-game tips about the specific mission such as occupying force levels, resource depots, etc.

I await your thoughts and critiques ...

I would like to see this implemented, but here lies the problem: DE did not expect us to translate the markings on the walls. If you read them, most of them say "Warning" and "Beecloud". It would be nice to see text on walls to say something significant towards lore, but this would require a retexture of maps and such, which DE is unlikely to do (imho). 

P.S. - Is it bad I'm fluent in Corpus? (and Irathient, for fellow Defiance fans :D )

Read my concepts? I await feedback from a fellow creative mind, such as yourself. https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/284767-2-new-ways-to-fix-assassins-stalker-g3-harvester/

Edited by NearlyDedicated

@ NearlyDedicated ... thanks for the feedback

You make a critical point about reworking existing tile sets

I don't know how much time that would take and could add to the burden of update traffic

However, "Tennovision" could be incorporated to NEW tile sets and be part of future quests

Maybe the tile set map could have generic "placeholder" sections for the monitor screens that could be randomized at the start of a mission

Or could include this feature on just faction home world, home base to make it more like spying for information ... 

-snip-

I like the idea presented here. As an indie developer myself, I can say it would be a lot easier to implement a new model (monitors, as you suggested) than to retexture an existing map. Take note of the Arc Traps and how quickly they appeared!

Also: I'm collecting ideas which I would like to see implemented into one thread, as a "Dream Update". Would you mind if I used your idea? Credit would be given.

I like the idea presented here. As an indie developer myself, I can say it would be a lot easier to implement a new model (monitors, as you suggested) than to retexture an existing map. Take note of the Arc Traps and how quickly they appeared!

Also: I'm collecting ideas which I would like to see implemented into one thread, as a "Dream Update". Would you mind if I used your idea? Credit would be given.

Arc traps as well as broken lights are spawned entities. 

Some of this tennovision content would require a rework and resurfacing for texture faces within the world itself.

Somewhat more taxing of a project rather than adding a NPC to spawn with the existing spawn features. 

By all means you can include it ... will PM you

Corpus is actually fairly easy to write in. I've yet to find any simple way of writing in Grineer. 

DE should sell Grineer stamps via their website. Make it a helluvalot easier to write in, for language freaks like me. I tried to write Grineer by drawing JUST where the indentations are, but it didn't work too well.

DE should sell Grineer stamps via their website. Make it a helluvalot easier to write in, for language freaks like me. I tried to write Grineer by drawing JUST where the indentations are, but it didn't work too well.

There doesn't seem to be any proper shorthand for those characters. How do they take notes and write letters I wonder?

There doesn't seem to be any proper shorthand for those characters. How do they take notes and write letters I wonder?

Who knows. Maybe that's why Grineer scorpions seem so upset all the time; they never get any love letters ;-;

Edit:

Oh Leekterette,

The way your bald head reflects the blood of the Tenno,

Makes my stomach feel like its got a mining machine growing inside of it.

<3 Leekter

I can see why the Grineer rely on cloning now.

Edited by NearlyDedicated

Who knows. Maybe that's why Grineer scorpions seem so upset all the time; they never get any love letters ;-;

Well I mean why would they create an alphabet that can't be handwritten? I'm trying to think of a way you could shorthand grineer characters

You don't understand unless you're a pureblood lore hound. It's more of a curse than a gift. Don't think about it too much.

Hear ye.

Edit:

Oh Leekterette,

The way your bald head reflects the blood of the Tenno,

Makes my stomach feel like its got a mining machine growing inside of it.

<3 Leekter

I can see why the Grineer rely on cloning now.

Leekter,

The time is now marked as the third you have written praise.

You have yet to bathe your own blade in the blood of a Tenno dog.

You speak of reflections? Bah!

Look into the dark eyes of a sand-skate;

A more hideous sight the Queens have never beheld!

If you desire to pass imprint onto generations anew,

This shall be the last contact you will ma

One moment, Leekter, I can hear the sounds of the Skum in a room yonder.

We shall continue this sordid affair on a later date.

Leekterette--

I couldn't help myself bleh

Also, in hindsight, I imagine this is "affectionate" by Grineer standards.

Edited by Jaycemonde

Well I mean why would they create an alphabet that can't be handwritten? I'm trying to think of a way you could shorthand grineer characters

I actually really like this aspect of Grineer 'culture'. Grineer lettering is very blocky and unwieldy, which reflects on those that use it. The fact that it appears almost impossible to write by hand suggests that the Grineer tend not to use writing trivially, and only write using some sort of mechanism. You wouldn't see a love letter or diary written in Grineer; it would be a Cell number, Ship Designation, or Warning. It's a language difficult to write, and therefore only used in sparing amounts when necessary. The fact that their writing has drifted from Earth languages to it's current form says a lot about the Grineer.

Edited by Sswordplay

I actually really like this aspect of Grineer 'culture'. Grineer lettering is very blocky and unwieldy, which reflects on those that use it. The fact that it appears almost impossible to write by hand suggests that the Grineer tend not to use writing trivially, and only write using some sort of mechanism. You wouldn't see a love letter or diary written in Grineer; it would be a Cell number, Ship Designation, or Warning. It's a language difficult to write, and therefore only used in sparing amounts when necessary. The fact that their writing has drifted from Earth languages to it's current form says a lot about the Grineer.

I agree with your impression that "handwriting" is probably not taught in Grineer K-12 as implied by the "blocky style" as you phrased it - or like old fashioned computer punch card symbols as was stated in the background (yes, I have had personal experience with punch cards, a complier and an IBM 370 main frame)

Grineer writing has the appearance of being strictly printed - printed by a machine - maybe even a bionic prosthetic for the secretary corps ...