Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dera Mechanic Addition

Renegade343

Hello all, 

This thread will detail an addition to the Dera so that it can be unique as a Clan Tech weapon. The content is below: 

The Dera is a Mastery Rank 4 Clan Tech weapon, and was the first Corpus assault rifle. However, it has now been mostly taken over by the Tetra, which sports a larger clip size, higher damage, lowered reload speed, cheaper resources to craft, and a lower Mastery Rank requirement to craft and use. Thus, to make the Dera be in its own niche and uniqueness, the following changes will be made first: 

- Increase damage to 25 (1 Impact, 23 Puncture, 1 Slash).

- Trigger type changed from Full-auto to Semi-auto. 

- Magazine size decreased to 35 rounds per clip. 

- Reload speed slightly decreased to 2.2 seconds.

- Fire rate speed slightly decreased to 10 rounds per second 

With these changes, the DPS of the changed Dera would be roughly the same as the current DPS of the Dera (250 burst DPS with changes, 248.6 burst DPS without changes) (153.5 sustained DPS with changes, 155.1 sustained DPS without changes), and the new mechanic can be fitted in: 

When the Fire button is held down for the Dera, it would start to charge up (akin to a Plasma Pistol overcharge in Halo). For every one second the player holds down the Fire button, the Dera will consume 2.5 ammo (meaning if the player holds down the Fire button for fourteen seconds [without any fire rate mods], the Dera will consume 35 ammo [i.e.: The whole clip]) (fire rate mods can alter the ammo consumed per second value). If the player releases the Fire button before one second, then it would just shoot out a normal Dera plasma projectile. 

Once the player has held down the Fire button for at least one second and then releases it, the Dera will instead shoot out a plasma orb (projectile speed = 175 m/s) (accuracy = 100.0) that will deal pure Radiation damage to any enemy it hits/passes through (with a 25% of dealing Radiation status effect), until its Punch Through limit has been reached. Once it has been reached, then the plasma orb will explode when hitting a surface or enemy, and deal radial Radiation damage (50% of dealing Radiation status effect). The general list for the properties of the orb is below (using increments of 2.5 rounds consumed per second): 

2.5 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.025

- Radius of orb: 0.25m

- Explosion radius: 0.5m

- Punch Through: 0.4m

5 rounds consumed:

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.05

- Radius of orb: 0.33m

- Explosion radius: 0.58m

- Punch Through: 0.47m

7.5 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.075

- Radius of orb: 0.41m

- Explosion radius: 0.66m

- Punch Through: 0.54m

10 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.1

- Radius of orb: 0.5m

- Explosion radius: 0.75m

- Punch Through: 0.6m

12.5 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.125

- Radius of orb: 0.56m

- Explosion radius: 0.81m

- Punch Through: 0.65m

15 rounds consumed:

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.15

- Radius of orb: 0.62m

- Explosion radius: 0.87m

- Punch Through: 0.7m

17.5 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.175

- Radius of orb: 0.68m

- Explosion radius: 0.93m

- Punch Through: 0.75m

20 rounds consumed:

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.2

- Radius of orb: 0.75m

- Explosion radius: 1.0m

- Punch Through: 0.8m

22.5 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.225

- Radius of orb: 0.81m

- Explosion radius: 1.06m

- Punch Through: 0.85m

25 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.25

- Radius of orb: 0.87m

- Explosion radius: 1.12m

- Punch Through: 0.9m

27.5 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.275

- Radius of orb: 0.93m

- Explosion radius: 1.18m

- Punch Through: 0.95m

30 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.3

- Radius of orb: 1.0m

- Explosion radius: 1.25m

- Punch Through: 1.0m

32.5 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.325

- Radius of orb: 1.06m

- Explosion radius: 1.31m

- Punch Through: 1.05m

35 rounds consumed: 

- Damage of orb (as well as the explosion): Weapon_base_damage * 1.35

- Radius of orb: 1.12m

- Explosion radius: 1.37m

- Punch Through: 1.1m

As the player holds down the Fire button, the middle portion of the Dera will start to have a small plasma orb, with two small lines linking to the barrels of the Dera. As the player continues to hold the Fire button down, the plasma orb will grow and glow brighter. Once the plasma orb has been shot out, there will be a 0.25s delay before the player can shoot again (barring reloading). 

The Corpus Crewmen will still have the current Dera, since the Dera the players have is a Research weapon, meaning there can be alterations to how the weapon works. However, an additional attack for the Crewmen's Dera is that at times, when behind cover, they will first charge up the weapon to produce the plasma orb (up to the 5 rounds consumed values and status chance values) (charging up time would be two seconds), then pop out of cover and shoot the orb (with same projectile speed as the player's plasma orb) at the player.

With this addition, I hope to make the Dera be another unique Clan Tech weapon, with comparable utility to the other weapons in the Clan Tech weaponry set. 

Please take the time to read this thread, and give constructive feedback and criticism. 

Renegade343

Edited by Renegade343

No thank you. Mind that the Dera is the weapon of choice of Corpus Crewmen across the Solar System, and this would kind of break their game. The only possible outcomes are either:

A: They become massively underpowered with low rate of fire and travel time
B:They gain the power of AoE and everything dies

No thank you. Mind that the Dera is the weapon of choice of Corpus Crewmen across the Solar System, and this would kind of break their game. The only possible outcomes are either:

Enemy weaponry does not always have to equal player weaponry. Just saying. 

But if so, why not have the Corpus Crewmen have slightly stronger Deras and a weakened version of the plasma orb (say maximum is at 5 rounds consumed)? That way, it would make some sense with the Clan Tech Dera mechanic addition I proposed. 

Enemy weaponry does not always have to equal player weaponry. Just saying. 

But if so, why not have the Corpus Crewmen have slightly stronger Deras and a weakened version of the plasma orb (say maximum is at 5 rounds consumed)? That way, it would make some sense with the Clan Tech Dera mechanic addition I proposed. 

Well, actually the point of ClanTech weapons is that we're just reverse engineering and copying the enemy's weapons but... never mind. I still just don't think that it would be a good idea to give the main enemy of a faction a bunch of semi auto guns. Imagine if every Grineer lancer had, say, a Latron (not faction accurate but moving on) and how slow that could get. We live in a world of assault rifles, and assault rifles are what's expected for a generic soldier to carry.

Well, actually the point of ClanTech weapons is that we're just reverse engineering and copying the enemy's weapons but... never mind. I still just don't think that it would be a good idea to give the main enemy of a faction a bunch of semi auto guns. Imagine if every Grineer lancer had, say, a Latron (not faction accurate but moving on) and how slow that could get. We live in a world of assault rifles, and assault rifles are what's expected for a generic soldier to carry.

As I said again, enemy weaponry does not always have to equal player weaponry. For example, see the AT Ogris and the player's Ogris. 

We can still give the Corpus Crewmen their current Dera, but allow them to charge up their weapons behind cover every so often, then pop out of cover and shoot out the orb. That way, it would make the average Crewmen a bit more threatening. 

As I said again, enemy weaponry does not always have to equal player weaponry. For example, see the AT Ogris and the player's Ogris. 

We can still give the Corpus Crewmen their current Dera, but allow them to charge up their weapons behind cover every so often, then pop out of cover and shoot out the orb. That way, it would make the average Crewmen a bit more threatening. 

And I thought everyone and their mother thought Detron crew men were OP (except me of course, you can't do crap if you have no guns or blinded durr), this could possibly get worse.

Edited by fatpig84

And I thought everyone and their mother thought Detron crew men were OP (except me of course, you can't do crap if you have no guns or blinded durr), this could possibly get worse.

It is just that Detron Crewmen seem to lead their shots to a degree. That is about it. 

never thought of it that way.

To be honest, most DMRs are semi-automatic, and are used in real-life military (at least with designated marksmen), so there is a place for semi-automatic rifles in the world.

Besides, the Corpus enemies would be firing rather quickly anyway (and I did state that we would keep the current Dera, but add a small plasma orb charge for it), so it would technically still fall under an assault rifle. We just reverse-engineer the Dera but with a bit of modifications. 

To be honest, most DMRs are semi-automatic, and are used in real-life military (at least with designated marksmen), so there is a place for semi-automatic rifles in the world.

Besides, the Corpus enemies would be firing rather quickly anyway (and I did state that we would keep the current Dera, but add a small plasma orb charge for it), so it would technically still fall under an assault rifle. We just reverse-engineer the Dera but with a bit of modifications. 

Should have clarified, my apologies. Media portrays the majority of modern weaponry (excepting handguns) used in warfare to be in the form of an automatic rifle. And seeing as it's currently 3:15 AM, I'll probably get back in the morning with a complete argument.

Until then, cheerio.

As he said, clantech are reverse engineered weapons but this doesn t mean that in the process tennos can t improve it

these mechanics would be interesting, if they were implemented I d definitely build another dera (sold my 1st one long ago)

As someone who's used 3 forma on the dera and love it, I think this would be a fine addition.

The dmg reduction struck me at a bad angle but then the link between damage and rounds consumed was a good feature.

I have another solution to tweak the Dera in another thread, if you like to search the first page of the Weapons Feedback. 

Edited by Renegade343

Guest Tehnoobshow

No, because DE would have to write new AI scripts for the Crewmen to use the orbs, and they seem very reluctant to change the AI for some reason. Also, you realize that if players get Radiation proc'd they can kill teammates right? Do you know what kind of chaos is going to ensue if a guy using an Ogris gets hit by the orb? And keep in mind that semi-automatic weapons fire depending on how fast you click. I'd like to see you keep a constant click rate of 10 times per second for a whole 30 minute survival.

No, because DE would have to write new AI scripts for the Crewmen to use the orbs, and they seem very reluctant to change the AI for some reason. Also, you realize that if players get Radiation proc'd they can kill teammates right? Do you know what kind of chaos is going to ensue if a guy using an Ogris gets hit by the orb? And keep in mind that semi-automatic weapons fire depending on how fast you click. I'd like to see you keep a constant click rate of 10 times per second for a whole 30 minute survival.

I know that, and it would actually make the Crewmen a bit more dangerous. 

Besides, I did have another alternative mechanic addition for the Dera, in the Weapons Feedback section titled "Alternative Dera mechanism addition", which is more simpler yet achieves the similar effect of adding utility. 

Guest Tehnoobshow

I know that, and it would actually make the Crewmen a bit more dangerous. 

Besides, I did have another alternative mechanic addition for the Dera, in the Weapons Feedback section titled "Alternative Dera mechanism addition", which is more simpler yet achieves the similar effect of adding utility. 

Seriously dude, just give up. I used to be a huge Dera fanboy as well, then I realized that it sucked and will probably never get buffed, so I quit using it, even though I already forma'd it twice. Now, I use a 6 forma'd Mk1-Braton. :P

Seriously dude, just give up. I used to be a huge Dera fanboy as well, then I realized that it sucked and will probably never get buffed, so I quit using it, even though I already forma'd it twice. Now, I use a 6 forma'd Mk1-Braton. :P

For a Clan Tech weapon, it is rather overshadowed by other weapons in both damage and utility. It needs that unique utility spark to bring it somewhat up to speed in the current build. 

And I do not accept just giving up. It is not about being a diehard favourite of certain weapons and such. It is about making these weapons fill their own niche so that players can actually go and consider them when building their Arsenal.