Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Lore

(PSN)Strifedecer

So when I started playing this game, I was impressed seeing that this game had a pretty good background, something most MMOs find lacking.

So, this got my gears in motion, and I just though I'd offer some of my Storyline concepts. 

Mind, I didn't want to bore you with an intricate storyline, not at least at this stage, and so what follows is merely the very basic concept, which dates back to the previous game by DE, Dark Sector.

As we know, the main background of Dark Sector is the spread and influence of the Technocyte Virus.

Also, Hayden Tenno is repeatedly confronted by variations of the Grineer, which come sown to the same thing, a ‘race of militized humans’.

So, after the events of Dark Sector, the martial law was imposed to keep the population in check, and prevent the complete eradication of Mankind be the constantly evolving Technocyte.

However, several years down the line, many districts attempted to free themselves from this form of government, resulting in a fourth World War.

After the chaos that ensued, from the ruins of yet another war, a small group of corporations, primarily those behind the research and development of the Technocyte, banded together, and reasoning that Manking was a self destructive force, capable of doing nothing but destroying its own glory, and abusing its intellectual gifts, they radically broke off, formed a separatist faction, and focused the mass of their operations and building of their civilization on Ceres.

Centuries passed this way, with this Separatist group growing further and further away. To most of the new generation, the separatist weren’t even human. They took a name of their own, calling themselves the Orokin. Masters of bio-technology, and promising researchers of Quantum Physics.

To the Orokin, their human origin was an embarrassment. A humiliation.

To begin as a species so flawed, so intent on destroying itself. This could explain why, there is no record of humans in the Orokin archives. At the most, they refer to another species, merely as sentient beings, or, Sentients.

The peace, however, was disrupted when an Orokin sleeper agent, reported a new ‘Sentient’ development.

They had managed to make a slit in the fabric of space, a small tear, which fed itself, and formed a void, a place where reason, and logic failed.

This, the Orokin worried for. They were, undoubtedly the most advanced species, the most wise, and they only must remain so, for all other known species would misuse power. Such was the Orokin mentality, and with this in mind, they rushed to clamp down on this development.

This, of course, was not met without resistance, and so begin another battle, between the Orokin, and the Sentients. A war, that lasted for decades.

The two species first found themselevs battling for control of the Void. Now, the fight had escalated to unimaginable proportions. The losses on both sides were grave, and despite all the Orokin wisdom and technological advancement, it was the Sentients who understood what lenths they had to reach to survive. 

And survive they did. The tide of the battle turned, with the Orokin Empire unable to sustain itself. In desperation, they turned to an old project...

Yera ago, and Orokin corporation sent a team to the Void, to note the characteristics of bodies and the science of the Void. However, there was a flaw in the transport system, and the fleet was mainly torn apart in space, with a few survivors stuck on the other side. 

Without help, supplies. Without any hope.

Now, the Orokin turned to them. Years spent in the Void, had altered them. Hardened survivors. Years spent in the Void had taught them what it took to keep the dregs of life going. Years had stripped them of most emotion, had changed their anatomy, had made them fearful creatures, capable, and prepared, to do what any other sentient being is incapable of.

The Orokin brought them back. The best of corporations, the best of scientists, together they wrought an armour, a frame, and clad the survivors in it. They gave the highly advanced weapon, capable of mass destruction.

They gave them a name, and a purpose. These rejects, these Tenno, followers of the ancient arts, wielders of the greatest technology of the age......they joined the fight for Orokin survival.

These Tenno, became their saviours. The tide of the battle turned, and within a period of less than two decades, the war was won. The Orokin were in favour, and they hunted down whatever was left of the Sentient civilization. They completely destroyed and eradicated the flawed species, that had begin on Earth.

The Sentient militia, however, had not completely died off. Under the banner of the Grineer, the posed a constant, yet mild, annoyance to the Orokin.

Still, there was relative peace in the Origin System.

But the Tenno were not silent. They were not drones, as the Orokin insensitively took them for.They fought for the Orokin, but they observed the world around them. They saw themselves kill a race of living beings, merely to let another take its place. They found their dreams purged by the thousands of terrified eyes, of dying people.

They came to realize, who the true enemy was. Who kills and slaughters coldly, an entire species merely for fear of losing its position of top dog.

A species, led by an Empire corrupted by greed, blinded by a perverse, twisted sense of self righteousness.

In persuit of their one purpose: justice, the Tenno picked a day. The day of celebration, when the Tenno would be honored for their bravery, and then forgotten. When the drums of victory would sound across the Origin System.

On that day, the Orokin race faced retribution. Ironically, be the hands of their once saviours.

Upon this deed, the Tenno realized their place. They possessed amazing power, and therefore, great responsibility. They took their place as a symbol of Retribution, faceless guardians of balance.

Left with no purpose, the Tenno encased themselves in Cyrosleep. They created the Lotus, a symbol of beauty native to Earth, to awake them when they were needed.

Now, centuries later, Children of the Orokin are needed. The Grineer, cast aside as a mere impunity, barely a threat, have spread like a disease throughout the System. The Technocyte Virus has been unleashed again, and balance has been violently disrupted. Whatever was left of the Orkin and Sentients, living peacefully across the system, live under brutal condition and suffer the consequences of the skirmishes between the Grineer, and the Corpus faction.

The Tenno must wake. The Lotus, will guide them, and they will do what they must. They will return balance, and they will fulfill their purpose. As we all do.

Edited by (PS4)Strifedecer

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds interesting but from what I noticed most of what we know is limited and what we can see is speculation.  I like it and hate it.

I like it cause it gives writers some freedom

Hate it cause it has little foundation if Dark Sector(the game) is taken out of the equation.

Edit: you should follow your threads so you can see if people have replied helps when doing something like this.

Edited by Zero.No.Hikari

• 2 months later...

How I am the first to up vote this is beyond me. Was a great read. Obviously some minor grammar and spelling issues but nothing to prevent the enjoyment of it.

I have no idea how accurate this is to what actually transpired since I haven't read up too much on the lore but I thought it was great and certainly felt like it could be part of the official lore.

Edited by Seraphyx

• 2 weeks later...
M8 we are on a very, very similar wavelength, however there are quite a few things I want to point out, not because I want to shoot you down, but because I have reason to believe otherwise.

the first is, and I am merely assuming here, that you don't entirely know what Dark sector actually is, and probably got your Hayden Tenno VS grineer statement from watching this:

I made the same mistake before; that was Dark Sector's original concept. Dark sector, is a lot more like this:

Now I've actually done a bit more research into dark sector. a short summary would be that Hayden Tenno, a human being with congenital analgesia- in short terms, a superhuman tolerance for pain, which I'll get back to later (http://darksector.wikia.com/wiki/Hayden_Tenno).

In Lasria, a lab-created Virus, the technocyte virus, was released and had started to spread rapidly. being a "cleaner" for the CIA, it was Hayden's job to find the nutcase that contributed to the release of the virus, Robert Mezner (http://darksector.wikia.com/wiki/Robert_Mezner)

(http://darksector.wikia.com/wiki/Technocyte_Virus) now what the technocyte virus does, is that it horribly mutates the host in a very, VERY painful process. so painful, that the host is driven insane just by the sheer pain, and normally go on a berserk rampage. how painful? Hayden tenno has a superhuman intolerence to pain, able to take a bullet wound to the crotch and feel a faint tingle (I'm making up the crotch bitn but it's quite accurate) and he was on the floor and in severe pain when he got infected. what saved his sanity, was how mitigated the virus was to hayden; painful still, but not completely unbearable. but Hayden wasn't completely mutated; perhaps the virus is tied into the sanity of the host, that the host has some level of control over his transformation. Hayden's arm was mutated into some form of metal, and recieved the ability to conjure up a glaive out of his wrist. seem familiar?

Later into the game, hayden found an exo-skeleton armor remniscent to Excallibur's look. (http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140503005322/warframe/images/7/79/Ps3_dark_sector_65.jpg)

Excallibur, was the first. the first Tenno. Hayden Tenno.

If you thought I'm done here, you thought wrong: I have a theory, here. all warframes, have their powers, because they are all afflicted with congenital aglesia, like Hayden Tenno, and are all afflicted with the technocyte virus, hence their powers. and my followup theory, is that the tenno have a lot more control over their physical form than Hayden ever did; they transform into 'signiture' bio-structures in order to fit the warframe of their choice, gaining not only the physical characteristics but the powers as well, hence why we can "swap genders' in warframe. that, and it might explain why we can do a mission with 2 HP and keep running and combatting like we're unable to feel pain.

and another thing; I agree that the orikin believe themselves to be "evolved" human beings, but the sentients are not the humans. the sentients are the result of the technocyte virus. it fits; Hayden Tenno was twisted by the technocyte virus and not only had to fight with the zombie-esque rejects, but also with the human beings he was fighting for. I'll get back to the orikin later.

incoming spoiler: the events of dark sector end with Mezner dead, however a massive infestation was still out there, and still spreading. the events between Dark sector and Warframe could follow with something like this: Hayden tenno, after getting his morality in check in the dark sector ("I'm just trying to do the right thing...") began a project of his own, hated by most humans, but some saw him differently. some had actually understood him. he took those that followed him, perhaps technocyte afflicted, pain-immune humans like himself, and they eventually developed the technology to reach into a pocket dimension, the Void. really I'm quite iffy on this bit, but I'm SURE the tenno were in the void some way or another. maybe it wasn't even Haden tenno that lead this, maybe we're talking years into the future, long after Hayden died, but had still inspired a syndicate among the humans that may even have willingly afflicted themselves with indifference to pain as well as the technocyte virus and named themselves the "tenno," after their hero. actually... that makes a lot more sense, come to think of it.

eventually, the humans (emperors) realized that they were fighting a losing war with an enemy that transforms their own flesh and machinery against them. they needed help. they turned to tenno hiding in the void, who they have forsaken for being afflicted with the virus, and asked them for help, for the tenno are immune to the virus they are already a part of. (as lephantis said, "Why do you destroy us? We are your flesh." http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Lephantis) the tenno were provided with the exoskeleton armor the humans developed, the warframes, armed them with the weapons of the old ways and the new, gun and blade. the technocyte afflicted rejects, the tenno, became the saviors of mankind against the sentient technocyte threat. and the tenno were inspired and born of the dream Hayden Tenno had, his name forever engraved in the halls of their void ships, as well as the tenno existance as an "evolution" past the humans.( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=339755873

ingame screenshots of tennobet written on the walls of the Void tileset)

Tennobet... rosetta stone(?) provided by DE in "tenno language decoded" https://n8k6e2y6.ssl.hwcdn.net/sites/all/themes/warframebase/images/Interviews/018/Tennobet1.jpg

have another look at Excallibur's entry.

"The Sentients had won. They had turned our weapons, our technology, against us. The more advanced we became, the greater our losses. The war was over unless we found a new way. In our desperation we turned to the Void. The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed. We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction. Gave them the weapons of the old ways. Gun and blade. A new warrior, a new code was born. These rejects, these Tenno, became our saviors. Warrior-Gods cast in steel and fury striking our enemies in a way they could never comprehend.

Excalibur was the first"

honestly, I'm nowhere near finished, as I've a lot more to say, but my fingers are getting itred and I can't sit on a computer all day... but anyway, here's my twenty bits on warframe lore for now, I'll add some more later, (namely, how the stalker fits into all this, and perhaps Ember's profile) but as always, feedback's always good... Scintipants out!

Edited by ScintillantAppleBloom

Sounds interesting but from what I noticed most of what we know is limited and what we can see is speculation.  I like it and hate it.

I like it cause it gives writers some freedom

Hate it cause it has little foundation if Dark Sector(the game) is taken out of the equation.

Edit: you should follow your threads so you can see if people have replied helps when doing something like this.

not to be a nuisance, but the name of the protagonist of Dark sector is written all over the walls of the void ships as well as written on the excallibur armor, which looks reminiscent to the one in dark sector, and the zombie-virus in dark sector has the same name as the zombie-virus in warframe, 

Dark sector seems pretty tied into the equation. also, Warframe's dark sectors are essentially infested areas in the vastness of space claimed by tenno clans as their own premium hunting grounds. In Dark Sector (the game) Lasria was named a dark sector after being, pretty much completely infected and hardly containable. or at least, I think it was. something like it. add the fact that DE confirmed  dark sector was essentially a prequel of sorts to warframe, and I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to count out Dark Sector ^^

Saw this but caught my eye when I saw that the Tenno were hardened survivors of the void. The first appearance of the Tenno were mysterious children on ship that returned from the void where supposedly no living being has ever returned from it, as mentioned in the Ember's codex.

Sorry mate, I read the rest of it and it didn't make sense to me.
Also, the Orokin was an empire, not a corporation. The Corpus is a corporation

Saw this but caught my eye when I saw that the Tenno were hardened survivors of the void. The first appearance of the Tenno were mysterious children on ship that returned from the void where supposedly no living being has ever returned from it, as mentioned in the Ember's codex.

Sorry mate, I read the rest of it and it didn't make sense to me.

Also, the Orokin was an empire, not a corporation. The Corpus is a corporation

Right, Ember's codex, pulled right out of the wiki. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Ember_(Warframe)

Three figures waited behind a simple table. Their attention on a single chair, bathed in light. An old woman's voice from the shadow: 'Send her in'. Across the room a security officer, stern and plain, opened the door. The outline of a young woman appeared at the door. She hesitated, but only for an instant, then crossed the room and sat.

There was a gasp as the light hit her face. Her right eye was bright and blinking, but her left was a greasy slit. Her skin had been burned moon-white. Her mouth was a sagging gash without lips or expression. Her military beret was pulled snug over a scarred and hairless scalp.

The old voice: 'Your name is Kaleen.' Kaleen nodded. 'You were the principal investigator of the Zariman?' Kaleen's voice was a jagged whisper, a rigid face. 'Yes.'

Kaleen coughed, straightened: 'The Zariman was lost making the fold from Saturn to the Outer gates. Mechanical failure. I notified families and filled a report with the inspectors. Nothing ever returns from the fold, so I closed the case.'

'But you reopened the case, days later.'

'I didn't believe it myself until I stepped aboard the ship. It was completely intact, full environmental, as if it had never left.'

'And the crew was gone.'

'Not exactly.' Kaleen hesitated. 'We thought it was empty but we began to find...' Her face twitched at remembered pain, 'We began to find children hiding in the ship.'

'And that is when you violated procedure?'

Kaleen bowed her head, a tear welling in her sightless eye. 'They were children. They were afraid. They needed comfort.'

'So you broke quarantine and this happened to you.'

There was silence as Kaleen touched her face, 'So what have you done with them?'

The old woman gestured for the officer to take Kaleen away. The meeting was over. When Kaleen reached the door she twisted out of his grip and shot back, 'Why would you do that? Why did you put children on a military ship?'

'We didn't. That would violate procedure.'

a 'couple of things worry me about it. most importantly, how could the crew of a ship that enters the void, entirely disappear, and then suddenly children appear out of nowhere to replace them?
possibilities:
1:  tenno children appear in the void for no apparent reason (including ember) and murder the crew of the ship. 

2: the crew was transformed into children, which I doubt. don't have a reason to doubt, it just seems wierd to me

3: the crew was trying to smuggle children accross into the void. maybe the crewmen were trying to smuggle their children to safety, and were attacked by something in the void (tenno, or the infested?) that killed all of the adult crewmen, but for some reason left the children alive (tenno code of honor? I doubt the infested would hold back.) but it won't explain why these children were able to burn kaleen's face off.

4: my favorite, only because I've already established that whoever lived on those void ships, practically worshipped Hayden Tenno, and just as much worshipped "evolution"

leaving me to refer to my theory on tenno, or tenno followers of sorts living in those void ships. if the military honestly didn't put children on the military ship entering the Void, then those children, one of them likely being ember, came from the Void. whatever the case, I believe that the void-dwelling... SOMEthing attacked the ship (I'd assume tenno, believing the ship to be invading on their self-imposed exile) and a younger generation of tenno had wandered onto the ship for reasons I don't know.

this happened in a matter of days, as ember's codex suggested, so we're not talking about crewmen spending years in the void, surviving it, living long lives and leaving children behind to survive the way home, so I kinda have to drop that theory. 

Despite giving my take on Ember's codex entry, what I'm trying to say is that it seems drastically illogical for these children to be the "first tenno appearance," like Etre's saying. children don't happen in a matter of days, "Excallibur" was the first tenno, and that's kinda portrayed in dark sector, years before the events of warframe, and there's too much reason to believe that the Void, assumed to be uninhabited by everything outside it, housed the Tenno.

or here's a fun tangent, perhaps the orikin were the ancient Tenno, trying to recreate what Hayden Tenno was. but that's just a tangent.

Right, Ember's codex, pulled right out of the wiki. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Ember_(Warframe)

Three figures waited behind a simple table. Their attention on a single chair, bathed in light. An old woman's voice from the shadow: 'Send her in'. Across the room a security officer, stern and plain, opened the door. The outline of a young woman appeared at the door. She hesitated, but only for an instant, then crossed the room and sat.

There was a gasp as the light hit her face. Her right eye was bright and blinking, but her left was a greasy slit. Her skin had been burned moon-white. Her mouth was a sagging gash without lips or expression. Her military beret was pulled snug over a scarred and hairless scalp.

The old voice: 'Your name is Kaleen.' Kaleen nodded. 'You were the principal investigator of the Zariman?' Kaleen's voice was a jagged whisper, a rigid face. 'Yes.'

Kaleen coughed, straightened: 'The Zariman was lost making the fold from Saturn to the Outer gates. Mechanical failure. I notified families and filled a report with the inspectors. Nothing ever returns from the fold, so I closed the case.'

'But you reopened the case, days later.'

'I didn't believe it myself until I stepped aboard the ship. It was completely intact, full environmental, as if it had never left.'

'And the crew was gone.'

'Not exactly.' Kaleen hesitated. 'We thought it was empty but we began to find...' Her face twitched at remembered pain, 'We began to find children hiding in the ship.'

'And that is when you violated procedure?'

Kaleen bowed her head, a tear welling in her sightless eye. 'They were children. They were afraid. They needed comfort.'

'So you broke quarantine and this happened to you.'

There was silence as Kaleen touched her face, 'So what have you done with them?'

The old woman gestured for the officer to take Kaleen away. The meeting was over. When Kaleen reached the door she twisted out of his grip and shot back, 'Why would you do that? Why did you put children on a military ship?'

'We didn't. That would violate procedure.'

a 'couple of things worry me about it. most importantly, how could the crew of a ship that enters the void, entirely disappear, and then suddenly children appear out of nowhere to replace them?
possibilities:
1:  tenno children appear in the void for no apparent reason (including ember) and murder the crew of the ship. 

2: the crew was transformed into children, which I doubt. don't have a reason to doubt, it just seems wierd to me

3: the crew was trying to smuggle children accross into the void. maybe the crewmen were trying to smuggle their children to safety, and were attacked by something in the void (tenno, or the infested?) that killed all of the adult crewmen, but for some reason left the children alive (tenno code of honor? I doubt the infested would hold back.) but it won't explain why these children were able to burn kaleen's face off.

4: my favorite, only because I've already established that whoever lived on those void ships, practically worshipped Hayden Tenno, and just as much worshipped "evolution"

leaving me to refer to my theory on tenno, or tenno followers of sorts living in those void ships. if the military honestly didn't put children on the military ship entering the Void, then those children, one of them likely being ember, came from the Void. whatever the case, I believe that the void-dwelling... SOMEthing attacked the ship (I'd assume tenno, believing the ship to be invading on their self-imposed exile) and a younger generation of tenno had wandered onto the ship for reasons I don't know.

this happened in a matter of days, as ember's codex suggested, so we're not talking about crewmen spending years in the void, surviving it, living long lives and leaving children behind to survive the way home, so I kinda have to drop that theory. 

Despite giving my take on Ember's codex entry, what I'm trying to say is that it seems drastically illogical for these children to be the "first tenno appearance," like Etre's saying. children don't happen in a matter of days, "Excallibur" was the first tenno, and that's kinda portrayed in dark sector, years before the events of warframe, and there's too much reason to believe that the Void, assumed to be uninhabited by everything outside it, housed the Tenno.

or here's a fun tangent, perhaps the orikin were the ancient Tenno, trying to recreate what Hayden Tenno was. but that's just a tangent.

What's your take on the new Rhino codex entry?

Rhino Prime's Codex Entry:

Red lights flashing on stark, white walls. Davis is running ahead of me, dropping his notes. We're running for our lives. The fear gives me a strange perspective - I'm out of my body. I've forgotten how I got here. I don't recognize this place. Davis and I slam pinned against a cell door and he shouts at me. I give him a dumb look. I can't hear him, the sirens, anything, only the muffled throb of terror in my head.

I turn away from Davis down the hall and I see it. The hulking mass, flickering red, glinting like steel and fresh blood. Its skin changes, flowing like mercury when I'm blinded by the sudden muzzle flashes. They do no good. The beast surges forward and the security men become crimson mist and gore. I'm a statue, a cornered animal. A gate opens inside me and recognition floods in. I have seen this monster before. I have cut its shell and eviscerated its brothers. I have given it pain and measured its response. I have crafted then rejected countless like it. But I've never seen this beast so close, without the shield, without restraints. I have never seen it ... free.

I know I will die so I just watch with curious acceptance. The beast squats down, shovelling a heap of gore into its mouth. It is watching me with vague eyes, a sense of recognition, ancestral memory. It knows who I am and what I've done. It rears up like a bear and roars, shattering the lights and casting us into darkness. I can hear it lumbering toward me, its metal fingers rending the walls, but I know I am dead. I close my eyes and stand ready to pay.

I feel the pull on my arm and realize Davis got the cell open. He tugs me into the cell beyond and I fall on my back. I see Davis standing at the open door, waiting as the monster tears towards us.

Suddenly I could live through this so I shout, "Davis, close the door!" But he shakes his head with eyes as wide as moons. He shouts, "Watch!" over the roaring and rending of metal.

Then silence. Davis is panting, laughing? The beast fills the doorway, inches from him, dripping in blood, but still without violence. It stands there, looking at its hands. Davis whispers, "No one would have believed me."

I crawl up the wall to stand, opposite the door. I've never seen this cell, a cold place with an array of shelves. A morgue? "Where are we, Davis?"

"This is where they keep them. The ones from Zariman." I'm thrown, what was the Zariman? The ship that never returned? "Davis, what's going on?" Davis turns to me, a smile forming - "What's going on is.." He turns back to the beast now silent and calm. "...big, fat promotions."

well, my initial thought is "how did I not know about this before!?" my second thought is, that beast is undeniably, supposed to be rhino. and I say "supposed to be" in multiple variations. for one, this is rhino's codex entry, after all. for second, if I had to guess, the rampaging beast was someone's attempt to replicate rhino, and that meant technocyte virus. in the original dark sector, Metallic skin is a norm for anything infected by the technocyte virus. flowing skin, however, seems more like rhino's specialty. (iron skin?) also in Dark Sector, a person's indifference to pain is the difference between turning into a humanoid metal-skinned weapon (http://i.imgur.com/ZqAdtF0.jpg) and a hulking metal skinned monster (http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/839/839294/dark-sector-20071203053117171-000.jpg

I also need to note that the Zariman is the same ship that flew into the void, and came back with "children." with that I express two theories: the first, is that the first thing the soldiers did upon discovering these void-born children was experiment on them, and try to replicate whatever it is that gave them their powers onto other... "test subjects." (gone horribly wrong because indifference to pain is not a common thing. really all they were doing is taking the infestation virus from a partially-immune specimen and applying it to a not-immune specimen. just making infested.) 

the other theory, which would throw back a lot of what I've established (which I can't say that I'm perfectly right, as lore changes, I can be proven wrong at any moment) suggesting that what came back from the void was the infested. maybe even the children aren't even tenno but just infested children before transforming completely (but then why is ember there...) or perhaps, the Zariman brought back not only tenno children, but the crewmen were turned infested, and were hiding in the ship. It's not impossible at all, but for contingency sake, I'll keep with the first theory.

As for Davis, he's acting suspiciosly like Robert Mezner did in Dark sector. (http://darksector.wikia.com/wiki/Robert_Mezner) Mezner was a puzzle piece I never figured out; I'm not sure if he's infested or not, but he was able to control the infested, somehow, perhaps tied to him releasing it. something about controlling electronic frequencies, but it is never explained how that happened. or at least I never found out. in any case, Mezner seemed to be very, very insane, laughing, amazed by what his infested had become, and they would never harm him. eventually he infested himself, still a hive mind to all infested, (that made me think of lephantis, just a bit. possible connection. http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120215023222/darksector/images/8/8c/Ds2009041317054247.jpg

if I had to guess, Davis might have done the same as Mezner, gaining control over the infested he created (via expiriments) and now I'm REALLY stretching here, maybe Davis became something like Mezner, something like lephantis, capable of telepathic communication with tenno (mezner could speak to Hayden Tenno through his mind because of Hayden's virus) and acting as a hive mind for the infested.

without stretching, I'd go and say that the beast was an attempt at replicating rhino's signiture structure, and failing, turning into a very angry beast (turned to rage because of the pain, unable to control the transformation) but still given rhino's iron skin powers. I'd also assume that this occurs after the events of ember's codex, but still before the old war; in fact, these experiments, I believe, are the birth of the sentients; a sentient virus lead by Davis, perhaps. or at least Davis' higher-ups.

EDIT: I'm reading through other forum's thoughts on this. there's a 'couple things that really caught my eye.

FargosFera mentioned rhino's rubedo skin. "The hulking mass, flickering red, glinting like steel and fresh blood. Its skin changes, flowing like mercury when I'm blinded by the sudden muzzle flashes" 

noneerror mentioned that DE_Steve said in one of the devstreams that rhino's codex entry said what the tenno were. by that, I can only further confirm that the tenno and the infested are even more likely, very, very closely related. yet the children on the Zariman seemed normal children with powers, yet the countless infested "rejects" looked like this monster. "I have crafted then rejected countless like it."

another thing. the beast enters a cell, stops, "It stands there, looking at its hands" as if it suddenly regained control of itself, and realised what it had done. Now that, starts putting me on a couple thoughts. I have no idea what a morgue has to do with holding the... let's call it, "proto-rhino" back, since a lot of others like to refer to this beast like that. I seems to be a fitting name, given the circumstances. Why is proto-rhino, gaining some degree of self control, the equivalent of a "big fat paycheck?" if it means what I think it does, and that being successfully creating a sentient monster, (the tenno?) I might have to throw back a lot of what I've established about the void housing tenno at the time. or, not completely. the void definitely did house the tenno, but perhaps not yet. not until long after the events of the birth of the tenno (in labs..?). so maybe, the void was where the technocyte virus hid, infected the children, (essentially making them the primary genetic structures for making more tenno. they were named tenno because of having a similar case to the first Hayden Tenno) which humans tried to replicate. no, I'm gonna need to make another post to recompile all of this xD probably my biggest mistake was assuming the void was established before ember's codex happened. Rox, you have no idea how helpful you were in this. and all you needed were nine words. I'm jelly. 

anyone have any other ideas to drag into this? because I think we're on the verge of tieing all these codex entries and lore fragments into a single solid story that makes sense.

anyone have any other ideas to drag into this?

Well, what about the Once Awake quest? Nothing much there, but during the 2nd mission Lotus tells you ''We thought the infestation died off with the Orokin. For hundreds of years there was nothing, now this. Where did the Grineer find these creatures?''

Does that add to anything?

Well, what about the Once Awake quest? Nothing much there, but during the 2nd mission Lotus tells you ''We thought the infestation died off with the Orokin. For hundreds of years there was nothing, now this. Where did the Grineer find these creatures?''

Does that add to anything?

It does, mildly. I suggested earlier that the sentients were the infested, and we know the sentients and the orikin were locked into a war until the tenno both defeated the sentients and then order 66'd the orikin, so essentially the infested died off with the orikin. or at least, they order 66'd the "cold and gold emperors" and the sentients.

but what I'm struggling to come into terms is, Excallibur's codex entry. I mean we all must understand it to some degree by now, but I'm talking about when it fits into this timeline.

"The Sentients had won. They had turned our weapons, our technology, against us. The more advanced we became, the greater our losses. The war was over unless we found a new way. In our desperation we turned to the Void. The blinding night, the hellspace where our science and reason failed. We took the twisted few that had returned from that place. We built a frame around them, a conduit of their affliction. Gave them the weapons of the old ways. Gun and blade. A new warrior, a new code was born. These rejects, these Tenno, became our saviors. Warrior-Gods cast in steel and fury striking our enemies in a way they could never comprehend.

Excalibur was the first.
- Orokin 'Warframe' Archives
"

this codex entry takes place during the old war between the orikin and the sentients, and that would mean one of two things: either the old war takes place YEARS after rhino and ember's codex entries, long enough for the orikin to establish themselves as void-dwelling beings (the only "cold and gold"/orikin traces in the game are in the void) or, these three codex entries take place roughly at the same time. and that would be a painful stretch, unless we assume that... it was the orikin themselves expirimenting on the children of zariman, trying to replicate those powers. but that would mean the orikin were not void dwelling. that said, the Tenno, after murdering every last orikin, took the ships into the void themselves, and had themselves put into cryo-sleep. maybe feeling some kind of "home calling" from the Void. 

lemme just go over the flaws in this.

1: this is assuming that the "children" of the zariman came from the void. like, the children themselves were in the void, and then got onto the ship.

2: this is assuming that tenno were born of the expiriments that were done on the children of zariman, BY the orikin.

3: this is assuming that the sentients are the "rejects" born of those experiments. proto-warframes, if you will.

4: this is rather horribly neglecting the events of Dark Sector that was confirmed as a kind of prequel to warframe.

but, here's what I feel like we should to keep in future theories:

1: that the "sentients" are another name for the infested. the sentients were at war with the orikin. died with the orikin.

2: the orikin had something to do with the birth of the tenno (via lab expiriments. I mean to say that Davis and that other dude are orikin scientists.) also on a double-take, I'm willing to believe that the soldier's in rhino's codex entry are too conveniently placed to be there for no reason, it's either in a military lab or during wartime

3: Tenno, like the first Hayden Tenno, have an immunity/indifference to pain, and are infected with the technocyte virus.

and if you're wondering where Tengu and the grineer found the infested, you encounter grineer marines on derelict ships all the time. spoiler. but that does leave another curiosity. if the infested died with the orikin, and the tenno launched orikin ships into the void, then did the sentient infested make it onto one of those ships and spread? or is the void really still a hub for the technocyte virus?

The advent of the Rino Prime codex entry left me thinking. 

I couldn't figure out one thing: Davis.

Let me explain:

THink of the most militaristic country, fictional or not. Now think of its military itself. Now think of the military vehicles, the control towers, the HQ...

What cmes to your mind? Steel, concrete, screens, an air of seriousness, everything designed for efficiency.

Not the Orokin. We know that the towers, and/or the Delerict vessels served a military/security purpose. We also know that, if my lore assumptions are right, that the Orokin took measures to distance themselves form human culture, essentially creating a new language, a new identity...

So why, in all Orokin grandeur, would we find a person bearing the common human name of Davis? 

It just doesn't fit in with the Orokin appearance.

My theory, just as most of my others, boils down to the Humans/Sentients.

As of this moment, I'm not being able to get something solid here, but what if the Orokin weren't the only one's playing around with Technocyte?

We know the Orokin use the Technocyte as a weapon against the Sentients; what if the Sentients figured out a way to use the Technocyte hosts? 

What of the Orokin learned of this, and proceeded to use those trapped in the Void? After all, the Sentients were superior. It were the Tenno that won the war for the Orokin.