Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fanfic] Ghosts Of History

Xenoraptor

Hey everyone, this is just a short (500 word) piece about how I think the Grineer might have viewed the Tenno's reawakening. It takes place a couple of months prior to the beginning of our game and is told from the perspective of a random Grineer Commander (not like the unit, but an actual Commander of forces).

/ / / / / / / / / /

Ghosts of History:

I remember a time before the Tenno scourge, when they were nothing more than a myth; the ghosts of a history long forgotten.

The troops under my command spoke jeeringly of them, scoffing at the idea that any creature could wield so much power. I agreed with them; for if the Tenno were as mighty as the legends led us to believe, then where were they now?

But the Queens were not so dismissive.

They sent out entire Legions to search for the mythical Tenno, commanded by their favourite pet, Admiral Vor.

I had assumed the Queens merely lusted after the Corpus Board's sizeable Bounty; their rewards for Orokin relics were sizeable, but their desire for the Warframes was unmatched, as was the price they were willing to pay for them.

But the Queens did not seek the Corpus' riches; they feared the Tenno, and wanted them exterminated.

My fellow Commanders and I thought it a ridiculous fear, quietly, privately, where their many spies couldn't hear us. But time proved it to be another example of their great wisdom.

After decades of searching, Vor found his Tenno, and in doing so he unleashed upon the Origin System the resurrected wraiths of a long-dead war.

And their blood-lust was not yet sated.

At first, we thought little of it. So what if a single Tenno had escaped our clutches? What impact could a single warrior have on the might of the Grineer Empire?

We were wrong to dismiss them so quickly.

For they had been waiting, waiting for some fool to unlock their frozen wombs.

Weeks passed without a change, but then I began to receive reports: Platoons slaughtered to the last man, supply depots raided, Galleons self-destructing. I assumed the Red Veil had grown more desperate in their attempts to disrupt us, for while these events were irritating, they were hardly debilitating. But whispers began to filter through the ranks, whispers that all revolved around the same cursed name.

Tenno.

Then one of our training facilities orbiting Saturn went Dark, and the Queens tasked me with investigating the strange occurrence. My memory of the sight awaiting my men and I still fills me with rage to this day...

Two regiments of out best soldiers... two regiments of my Grineer brothers and sisters; all massacred by gun, blade and the eldritch energy of the Void!

I knew that it was not the work of some damned rebel group or a new Corpus machine; the cuts were too surgical, the gunshots were too precise, and the mangled corpses of my brethren attested to a power no other faction could ever wield.

The obnoxious symbol of their Queens-be-damned Lotus burned into every wall and on every door confirmed my suspicions; the Tenno had done this, and they wanted us to know that they had.

Their strikes began in earnest after that.

/ / / / / / / / / /

And there you  have it, I'd love to know what you all think of it, if possible.

Edited by Xenoraptor