Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scavenging, Spelunking, Looting, Finding Secret Areas - Make It More Rewarding.

Schwadronaut

It's always hard to start a post like this one because it goes straight against the official direction of the game which is a that of a casual speedrun grindfest and I know a lot of players will disagree with anything that suggests slowing down the pace.

---

I like looting stuff. The game has been created with that in mind for some reason and some of the newer tiles have really smooth map design with hidden places and some cool paths to take. Considering the rough stance against going slow and all the emphasis on taking the shortest route from A to B, it feels like there are one or more rebels in the DE team, producing cool and alternative content against the directive of casually accessible, flat, streamlined rush levels. If you guys are reading this, much love from me because I really enjoy climbing your virtual playgrounds and looking for the hidden shinies.

In general though, going way off course to explore dead ends is not lucrative at all. With occasional sparse credits falling out of a locker, going for treasures is really not recommended if you want to make a dime. Speedruns yield thousands of credits. They are boring and repetitive and tend to drive me personally away from the game. Exploration is fun in my books and I would love it to be at least on par with speeding through missions over and over.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, take the following example: You speed through a mission ignoring everything, you spend three minutes and get 5000 credits (arbitrary value). You can do that many times or you just play one of the credit farm maps that yield 23000 per run without effort.

You can also take your time exploring the entire map, opening every locker, snooping out containers and breaking everything you see. You take on every enemy you encounter and collect their loot. You get 5000 + 3000 credits for twenty minutes of systematic browsing.

>>> Speedrunning is way more lucrative than actually playing the game.

I'd like lockers and containers to drop more loot. More credits the further away they are and occasional mods. Not container-specific rares that would FORCE players to go there, just generic common mods from time to time as a reward for the extra effort.

On my first account that has basically everything unlocked, playing feels boring and knowing that scavenging doesn't yield a thing automatically pushes me to just finish missions which then makes me question why I'm playing them in the first place.

I've created a new one to relive the struggles of a new player and I'm finding myself out of resources all the time. Common mods that are abundant in the late stages of the game simply don't exist. Credits that I could easily farm in towers are not available to me if I try to stick to the main route of hopping from planet to planet.

Essentially, boosting credit rewards from lockers and adding common drops would allow new players to just play the original path mission by mission, planet by planet, without having to taxi to credit farms or jump between towers. It would only serve to boost the incomes of those dedicated to exploring the map to make up for the time they're losing with their decision not to speedrun through the game. A small nod to those players taking their time going solo, acknowledging their efforts.

Because frankly, the game is ultra-easy for anyone sober sporting two hands and a spine. If I wanted to, I could just get to any content in no time, farm credits like a baws, get Boltor Prime and an OP frame without thinking about it and use them to cheat past any boss to achieve nothing in the end because I'm missing out on all the headshots I could have scored while I was busy speed-stomping through the universe.

>>> So low income from proper gameplay is not a challenge to new players, it's a way of telling them what fools they are for not cheating to endgame.

Please make stashes drop more coin and some basic mods (even damaged ones are cool and exciting to anyone snooping through Grineer stuff and really useful to new players) to make the initial game easier, reward alternative routes and solo/coop play (aka the opposite of public) and make loot mods a bit more useful... which would still be useless but not as much as before.

It's just a bummer if you sneak through Earth's overgrown ruins, spot a corpse, climb to its location, take your time waiting for the loot process to be over just to look at lousy 44 credits when just ending the mission in a minute gives you 1600, which is already nothing.

Moreover, the resource issue is pretty glaring. Lots of players are complaining in chat about farming resources of which they can't get enough. Add frequent common, uncommon and rare resource drops to stashes to alleviate that issue and to take away the need to farm bosses for the umpteenth time. Poor Alad can use a break and a haemorrhoid friendly cushion. Regular missions should yield enough resources when looted completely to sustain players without the need for grinding.

---

Addressing the topic of Warframe being a speedrun game: It is the most undecided game I've ever seen, catering to everyone but nobody in particular. Not a shooter but has shooter elements. Not a ninja game but with elements. Not an MMORPG but the idea is there. If you want a clean speed game, you need to get rid of redundant animations, enable rocket jumps, speed pads, proper wall jumps and a finish line that shows you your current best time.

Adding loot doesn't harm speedrunners. I don't even mean to reduce the benefits from speedrunning. It just rewards other playstyles, making them equally valid. I've got a knack for balancing stuff and preventing games from being completely one-sided, as you might have been able to tell by now.

If you have a problem with corpses yielding enough coin so players can craft their basic gear without raiding Sechura, go have a Snickers.

There's not even a need to add more stashes although that would be cool. But making the existing ones pump out more cred definitely helps.

Public games would still be all about rushing to the finish line. This is only for soloers and groups of friends going slow. There are no exclusive rewards I'm demanding of which the general public would be deprived. You're just missing out on friendship and the feeling of looting the world.

And if you're worried about realism because corpses shouldn't have that much money, then take a deep breath and ask yourself why you're a magical sponge in a space ninja mercenary suit and try to talk to me again about the reality of dead clone robots on Uranus not carrying cash.

I personally believe there will be no issues from players being forced to loot, slowing down progress of the team as long as no crucial drops are included in the hidden stashes (such as unique mods, prime parts).

---

TL;DR:

- Make lockers and corpses drop five to ten times more credits.

- Make lockers and corpses have an uncommon chance to drop relatively large rewards (1000-5000 credits) in addition to their default loot. This is the same magnitude as killing an Eximus and finding an Oberon part to sell.

- Make hidden or hard to reach containers, corpses and lockers drop solid (2x) credit rewards by default to encourage looting abroad and support new players.

- Make hidden or hard to reach containers, corpses and lockers drop occasional mods.

- Make lockers, containers and corpses drop (more) resources with emphasis on more rares in hidden areas.

- Open more lockers (green) the further players deviate from the main route to reward exploration.

Hooray to hidden rooms and parkour parts. The guys who made them: Awesomesauce.

Cheers.

Edited by Schwadronaut

-snip-

^

it used to be rewarding..........back in the good old days T_T

i would say that these rewards should scale higher depending on the type of void....t4 keys giving the most reward or most potential for good rewards

it is hard enough to farm for t4 keys as well as a grueling task

also credits.....iono about the credit part when it comes to containers....

with master thief.....and the right corpus missions....i can actually get 15k+ credits in one mission of a corpus run

Edited by sekushiiandee

Yea most people I end up in a game with run right by all crates and chests and never open any of them, and I'm considered "slow" because I stop to get the loot and they don't. The main point for this is, when do you get something good from any of these to make it worth while to stop and grab the crates and chests and hidden areas.

I think this should be changed in a way that mods drop more often from them and that would help a lot with people actually wanting to farm them more then they are now.

TL;DR:

- Make hidden or non-obvious containers, corpses and lockers drop occasional mods (the ones in that service room up there and below the stairs, hint hint).

- Make lockers, containers and corpses drop (more) resources with emphasis on more rares in hidden areas.

- And to all those nifty mapmakers with style: Hidden parts, I love them.

Cheers.

I must agree with the OPs main points.  Especially making the lockers in hidden rooms much more lucrative.  It make not make sense to make complicated hidden areas in some ship tile sets, but there are plenty of land based tile sets now where much more complicated hidden areas could be added.

I kind of like the fact that only crates in the void treasure rooms drop mods. But I definitely wouldn't mind seeing that occasional 1/500 chance locker that spits out 50,000-100,000 credits when you open it from regular missions (if in a hidden area requiring a certain ability/parkour to get to!)

Although I don't think this is on the *needs to be in the game NOW list*.  :-)

I like looting the containers and lockers, etc. But usually I rarely stop to do so anymore, because yeah, they almost never have anything worthwhile drop from them. The exception is when looking for golem navs or something. (In OD missions.)

I agree with everything said above, but in addition, I wish that at least one Void obstacle course room would spawn per mission. I mean, more incentive to check rooms is better, right?

The obstacle courses are probably one of my favorite things about the maps and it seems like a real shame that a lot of people hardly see them or do them.

TL;DR:

- Make hidden or non-obvious containers, corpses and lockers drop occasional mods (the ones in that service room up there and below the stairs, hint hint).

- And to all those nifty mapmakers with style: Hidden parts, I love them.

Cheers.

I remember back when it was considered good form and great teamwork to explore hidden rooms and mark out stuff like Ferrite - and Rubedo was to die for, not to mention credits and ammunition, which were sparse. I liked it back then.

I support the calling for more rewarding exploration of tiles. What's the use of having amazing tilesets like the new Eris, Earth, Phobos, etc, if players aren't somewhat encouraged to at least appreciate the art and level design?

One thing I am cautious of, though, is that simply increasing the rate at which resources, credits and consumables drop from containers might not do all that much in terms of teamwork, even if it can be subjectively rewarding. You've touched on this, which is awesome, but I think it might be worth considering further. Veteran players with no need for resources would simply ignore those, as they would receive little benefit from doing so, I'm unsure about the effect on rushers, and newer players would slow down the squad more in a PUG, making for less streamlined taxis and such. I'm not saying it's good to be completely objective-oriented, I'm completely for more ways to encourage exploration, but the way I see it, this could further the divide between those players who think different. Making the drop rate higher would be encouraging only to certain playstyles, and possibly further the divide between others in the same squad.

One thing I like about the parkour rooms in the Void is that they have a chance to give decent, worthwhile mods like Sanctuary. However, they do very little to promote teamwork - someone rushes in, with or without the rest of the squad, and it's up to them to either complete the challenges or fail. In fact, it's almost encouraged that only one person complete it, since the traps lend themselves to personal skills rather than team synergy and coordination, but this line of reasoning may be a bit beyond the scope of the thread.

I'm a bit ambivalent on rare resources and mods - I can see how they'd be a great incentive to explore and loot, but conversely, they really go against the objective-oriented playstyles most players firmly adopt when running through the Void, for example. Adding more of these run the risk of making a negligible difference such that players in more need of rare resources/mods are further alienated from those who don't. I have little problem with going the other way, except to caution that rare resources should remain rare lest replayability and progression barriers get too trivial, though this shouldn't be too big a problem. Otherwise, I'm all for credit jackpots like some guy above me suggested (though probably not that much), and other small, neat surprises which reward exploration but aren't staggeringly detrimental if they're given a pass, and I can definitely agree with your other points.

Edited by Vastaren

Excellent contribution, Vastaren. I agree to most points.

However, the game is trivial anyway. There are farming methods for anything and they are way more efficient than just playing the game per se which unfortunately is still what I stubbornly tell people to do. Regardless of my preference, anyone in need of Orokin Cells can just grind Ruk. Bosses tend to get boring when treated as obstacle on your way to the reward. The first times we played Alad V were great and I highly enjoyed struggling to find out how to kill him with Zanuka around (apart from all the glitches back then that made killing him impossible for clients). Meanwhile, while I'm trying to at least bring a weaker gun or let the other players have their share, it's just a matter of coptering there, shooting both, collecting Neural Sensors, coptering back and repeating the process a couple of times. To me, that's no actual fun. I just realize I'm out of resources, I do my thing, I return.

Finding a rare resource in a storage unit on the rooftop of a broken building would be far more enjoyable. If there were certain pickup effects for rares and a flashing "Neural Sensors +1", that would just make my day.

I absolutely second the jackpot pitch, Crackle. That is definitely more enticing than an even increase. Having ten containers yield nothing but peanuts and one of them suddenly bursting in cash (1k-10k) sounds incredibly rewarding. That's what treasure hunting is about. Every container dropping the same fixed amount would mean just another grind for contents, you are correct. I'd also prefer the occasional reward over the general increase.

Most of the replies seem to have towers in mind. I'm not specifically referring to the void. For instance, there is an amazingly moody hidden room in the Grineer Shipyards that I failed to detect for quite some time. It's way off the normal route but doesn't contain anything. Pictures here so you know what I mean:

W5WytAq.jpg

wqhwwpC.jpg

ixeCykR.jpg

Q1EJFlG.jpg

HklnNLs.jpg

nnl4fJs.jpg

NSUumg0.jpg

107 credits and some ammo. Felt like I was onto something big before I got let down.

As for the tower parkour tiles, some of those might be my all-time favourites, mostly because they actually require some sort of skill to traverse. I've actually taught myself wall-jumping with Excalibur and had to adapt to the U14 changes, successfully. This is where I need to focus for once, concentrate on the task at hand, go with the flow and make sure not to mess up. It's a shame I often don't even get to the vault when playing towers with randoms as most players just rush straight through to the end for the reward.

I've got all relevant mods a couple of times, so there is nothing new for me in the boxes but nonetheless, cracking them open and collecting my Serration is a simple reward for having left the main corridor of linear speedplay, having found the vault, jumped and wall-bounced over traps and pits, slipped through lasers and precision-dashed to the pressure plate. It feels rewarding and fun, much more than bolting a dude in the face three times to collect his drop. In much the same way, seeing that hole in the wall way down below the normal route, finding a way there and smashing open just that little container that was sitting there can be rewarding with whatever silly thing is inside. There's nothing ultimate that I don't have yet that would be justifiable there (hey cool, Primed Chamber) but a chance for 600 bucks, some affinity and a damaged Fast Hands would be totally worth the effort.

Taken further, what if one in a thousand lockers dropped an actual piece of platinum? Not enough to really do something with it or to justify grinding for it but an outstanding reward for any Indiana Jones out there. A gesture that shows you can obtain anything, motivating micro-transactions but leaving the general market untouched, not enforcing grind as it's more effective to farm for parts and sell them.

Also, from my experience, even though there are plenty of players denying it, I found that properly playing through a mission going from room to room and finding secrets has so far resulted in the best coop experiences I've had with players generally being in a good mood, complimenting each other and sending friend requests. Finishing a long void mission, the backpack filled with vault mods and enemy dogtags, turns the mission reward into an actual bonus that can only be positive. Grinding for rewards by rushing through towers leaves nothing but the hope for a certain prime part which usually ends in disappointment when Sicarus rears its ugly head (or barrel).

I can see how grinding is more effective and how single players looting vaults out of necessity would slow rushers down. That's why I'd like for stashes not to contain crucial mods that would create the necessity for drawn-out container hunting. That's exactly what I want to avoid. I just want to level the exploration part with the speedrun to allow for full player freedom.

Besides, there is no void matchmaking, everything is done via invites. I think players are mature enough to specify whether or not they want to speedrun. Lockers dropping stuff shouldn't stop players from rushing. I've seen players rush past rare mods, even Cicero mods dropped by Vor, so unless you include Excalibur Prime Blueprints in the droptable and a token for a lifetime supply of cookies baked by Megan, there should be no issue.

I'm going to edit the first post according to your suggestions.

They really need to have a subcategory in matchmaking though. If they had a loot everything/go slow/explore the whole level for secret rooms subcategory and an objective only/rush as fast as possible/every man for himself, slam the elevator doors in your teammate's faces and eff them if they get downed I'm already at extraction subcategory...then matchmaking could partner up people with the same goals.

Maybe something like:

Matchmaking:

Public/Friends Only/Invite Only: Casual Mode,

A-hole Mode

Solo

Edited by CedarDpg

However, the game is trivial anyway. There are farming methods for anything and they are way more efficient than just playing the game per se which unfortunately is still what I stubbornly tell people to do. Regardless of my preference, anyone in need of Orokin Cells can just grind Ruk. Bosses tend to get boring when treated as obstacle on your way to the reward. The first times we played Alad V were great and I highly enjoyed struggling to find out how to kill him with Zanuka around (apart from all the glitches back then that made killing him impossible for clients). Meanwhile, while I'm trying to at least bring a weaker gun or let the other players have their share, it's just a matter of coptering there, shooting both, collecting Neural Sensors, coptering back and repeating the process a couple of times. To me, that's no actual fun. I just realize I'm out of resources, I do my thing, I return.

Finding a rare resource in a storage unit on the rooftop of a broken building would be far more enjoyable. If there were certain pickup effects for rares and a flashing "Neural Sensors +1", that would just make my day.

0mw1I8e.gif

Ah. Well. I...

You're absolutely right that the majority of the experience of being rewarded rare resources is trivial and a shallow way of engaging players. Grinding only goes so far towards fulfillment, but it is indeed a very time-effective method of obtaining said resources. I should probably change my stance on that one, it wouldn't be all that detrimental to the way the system works currently, never mind the qualms we all have about it anyway. I'd be stoked too if that neat little surprise came up.

Otherwise, I think you've summarised and addressed my concerns more eloquently than I presented them. +1.

They really need to have a subcategory in matchmaking though. If they had a loot everything/go slow/explore the whole level for secret rooms subcategory and an objective only/rush as fast as possible/every man for himself, slam the elevator doors in your teammate's faces and eff them if they get downed I'm already at extraction subcategory...then matchmaking could partner up people with the same goals.

I don't think we should advocate parties devoted entirely to exploration... it sounds a bit too much like grinding for the sake of the reward, only in a different manner of play, thus defeating the purpose of the thread. I can't blame anyone for wanting to rush or go slow, but to focus solely on either the objective or the sidetrack seems like a thing we shouldn't aim for. Those sorts of things you suggest might be better as a teamwork thing rather than a forced mechanic, but I totes agree it's frustrating not having people communicate goals before, during and after a chafing, dull mission.

There's a certain 'dead end' room on the Ceres maps that starts off with what looks like a no thrills room. Looking up, though, says that there are lots of pipes and such to jump up and on to, leading to first a red door, then more pipes, a bridge, more pipes, and then finally another bridge. Both bridges have tons of red lockers, with usually little to no green ones available. If the top most bridge had nothing but green lockers, I would parkour it every time--whether DE buffed them or not--due to the inherent 'prize' for learning how to properly parkour its difficult course.

Those sorts of things you suggest might be better as a teamwork thing rather than a forced mechanic,

If only the world were such a perfect place. But with the variety of randoms I've met, I think teamwork is a foreign concept to many. Even communicating goals beforehand, I don't think that'd really help much. Chat often gets ignored and even if they saw the goals stated by the teammembers, it would most likely get ignored anyways.

An option that changes a variety of gameplay mechanics to suit the goals of the team would reward people for putting in their goals before the mission on top of partnering them with like-minded squadmates. i.e. No friendship doors in a rush mode party. Or give extra time in extraction for loot mode parties, etc.

Edited by CedarDpg

IMHO I'd feel rewarded if there were simply more green:red ratio for lockers the more I deviate from the Infiltration-Exfiltration route. This way, Master Thief would benefit the folks who just want to run the mission (through the main route) by opening the myriad red lockers, while those who don't have it would be rewarded if they deviated from the path and explored. And of course, those who are late enough in the game to have Master Thief AND still like exploring through the maps, well they're due some rewarding anyways.

And it WOULD be nice if the end of the branches had a "Gold" locker that drops more things, to show that yes, you have reached the end of this route. Have a big pile of loot, a pat on the back, and be on your way.

Cool suggestion, Shion963, although I am sure this would be turned into a "gold locker raid" thing where normal ones are still useless and gold lockers are overflowing with rare goods which is the same situation as before, only with added content. Honestly, I'd rather have every locker be a potential gold locker.

• 1 month later...

Nice suggestions.

I am falling for explorations always too, and its sometimes a bit frustrating when the time spent exploring isn't even a third as lucrative as using the time to run the mission another time. If it were somewhere equal, one could choose playstyle and wouldn't lose out rewards either way.

The occasional mod dropping from a container outside the void would be nice too, could easily be a random bronze one or something, just for the ffel of it.

Sometimes I feel (in many games) that developers think: No risk, no reward.

And it doesn't matter if the risk is a low level Infested, of which I can easily slice through hundreds of them alone.

But the moment you risk time, something really valuable, which cannot harm your character (outside Nightmare) - thats not enough risk, no rewards for you.

Many games where exploring gave rewards toned that down till there were nearly none.

Its frustrating - and the reason why I, and my fellow players, like the Void so much - there IS a chance to find something off way, even if its only a few hidden containers, spawning the occasional random mod.

[Edit: Sorry for the time since last reply, someone linked this thread, I didn't look at the latest reply date]

Edited by Deus_X_Machina

I kind of like the fact that only crates in the void treasure rooms drop mods. But I definitely wouldn't mind seeing that occasional 1/500 chance locker that spits out 50,000-100,000 credits when you open it from regular missions (if in a hidden area requiring a certain ability/parkour to get to!)

Although I don't think this is on the *needs to be in the game NOW list*.  :-)

Maybe not NOW, but it'd be pretty simple to add, no? There's already locker rooms in every map in the game. Just add to the loot table...chance to drop XYZ mod or 156234 credits

THIS PLEASE !!! I mean those sidepath loot rooms ESPECIALLY containers (Void) NEED more void only/rare mods. Back in update 9 (when I first played) They were like WABAM!! Good stuff. Now its all flipping ammo and credits. Total total total LET DOWN. Dissapointing dissapointment. Please increase mod rate in containers again! Especially in void/ any map offpath loot rooms

Let me first link my concept collection - ideas I've though of (mostly):

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/79196-concepts-of-mine-consumables-merchant-gambler-and-void-cause-i-like-that/

The first in line concerns you I guess but even the Cypher one can be of interest.

Also this: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/312804-cache-hate/#entry3540793

Anyways, it would be cool if there was a meaning behind exploring maps and would help a lot with distributing prime parts too - thus pretty much solving the whole loot-table-dilution problem.

I'd like the option to recruit a team that will explore the map and not rush it.  Hard to find a team in recruiting for that.  I mostly end up running voids solo.  Ran a T1 cap this morning:

ro5x0Nh.jpg

Not bad, 51k in credits, 20 mods (2 rare) plus an argon not to mention exp.

I feel like the recent Gate Crash event partly addressed this concern. The optional lockers in hidden locations containing potentially good loot were a nice touch and we sure enjoyed hunting them. The entire event was a boring grind though and we gave up a lot to play something else that was actually fun before we were able to finish it.

I'd like to see those lockers in regular missions, from time to time. Anywhere, with any chance, with any interesting content. The contents had varying value to me, naturally, with a T3E key being of actual worth and 50 Cryotic being on the lower end of the scale. But finding a locker felt good at first. The randomness makes it interesting. Making them optional was a very good design choice as none of the rewards were crucial but there was still merit in hunting them. A player told me his friend needed Cryotic because he couldn't partake in the Arctic event, so that's a good way of earning that stuff.

Most importantly, they shouldn't be limited to OD / Void missions and events. The normal missions have almost no value and very uneven difficulty, so as soon as all planets are unlocked for alerts, there is no incentive for players to ever touch them again.

@K_Shiro, you've got a horseload of concepts. My respect but I don't want to finish reading them. I seem to agree with a majority of what you say though and the consumables ideas are fresh. I have also never gotten behind why the more complicated ciphers were never included in the main game when the rankup test with the more complex puzzles was amazing. In short, I totally agree. And I think everyone does.

@K_Shiro, you've got a horseload of concepts. My respect but I don't want to finish reading them...

No worries. Still trying to figure out how to make them more easy to navigate since clicking through just the basic level of "spoilers" to even see what are hidden there can be a bother - even for me and I wrote it... maybe I will post all of those chapters in a different post and make a proper list with links in the opening post so one can read what they are interested in, instead of the whole mess. Gotta ask someone in charge if that's allowed or considered spamming.

Edited by K_Shiro

I agree with all of it. 

I love exploring in Warframe, but a lot of times I don't do it because there's no real reason to when the loot is bad.

Like some one else mentioned, the room in the grineer shipyard with the pipes that goes all the way up until you find two bridges is a perfect example. The two times I went there the lockers were all red except for one. And that one just had a few credits. So why bother again?

It would be great if the loot was a bit more like the void missions, which I do always explore inside out.