Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ps4 - Possible Improvement In Performance & Display!

(PSN)Crackle2012

Question

Hey everyone, I wanted to share some information that I came across recently that really made Warframe and alot of my other PS4 games much better.  

This a guide that may or may not improve your quality of color/ field of view on Warframe (and alot of other ps4 games as well.  For me, this even effected the main menu of my PS4.

I have a 47 inch LG HDTV just FYI.  The only TV I have seen the following not effect are Sony TV's.

SEE BELOW FOR THE POSSIBLE DISPLAY IMPROVEMENT GUIDE

-UPDATE for people with a Sony TV thanks to (PS4)SUZOOKIS_MAXIMUS!!!!            

-See this Tip from SUZOOKIS_MAXIMUS below:

"I have a 55' Sony Bravia and one tip I can add is to change your "Scene" mode. Mine has different preset lighting and color scenes for movies, sports, games, photos, internet, etc.

I can't tell too much difference between a lot of them but Movie is definitely a lot darker (great for watching DVDs in a very dim room...) so switch it to Game or a similar looking Scene to match your preference.

The hud expansion helped me a lot for U14. I could barely see the sorting options of the mod screen (i.e. Rank, Drain, Name) until I moved the viewable area for the HUD out about an inch from where it was. (now maxed to all the sides)"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1.  Load up Warframe, go to Options and try to adjust your HUD display with your screen (to make it fit properly).  Make it as big as you can, if the white lines go passed the boundaries of your HDTV that is a surefire way to tell that your setting is wrong. -- It should only allow you to go "to the edge" and then it should stop itself.

If the above is stopping at the edge of your TV-- then disregard all of this except the Side note at the end for possible color improvement!

Step 2. Go into your TV Settings and go to the HDMI output (EX. HDMI 3) you are using for your PS4.  Set the Aspect Ratio to Automatic, or Just Scan, or whatever it may be that is "Auto Detect" for YOUR TV.  For my LG TV (fairly old LCD model)  it is called Just Scan.

what's going on is, if your aspect ratio is set to 16:9, then you are probably not seeing the full amount of alot of your games/menu's on the ps4 as it displays in a ratio that is just slightly different than that.  Switching this to just scan will allow you to see a bit more than you are seeing now if this works for you and when you go to adjust your Margins for your PS4 and in Warframe, they both should stop right at the borders/edges of your TV and not allow you to press them further.

That's it!

Side note:  Something else you can do (did not make a difference when on a Sony TV)  to get a richer color output.

is go to your PS4 Settings ---> Sound and Screen -----> Video Output Settings  (Screenshot here: https://support.us.playstation.com/euf/assets/KCimages/kbid_5046/1.jpg  Set your RGB range to FULL instead of Automatic.  You should instantly see the difference- everything goes from washed out to very rich and colorful. (may require additional TV color adjustment settings at first- but really looks way better in the end).  Your screen should flash black and then come back on if switching this to Full changing anything- if not, it won't flash either way, you will be able to tell if it is or isn't because it is very noticable.

You can also try setting the Y/ CB PR/ PR range to Full as well- but this did nothing for me.  I would leave "deep color output" alone, as when I turn that on my TV flashes and then just auto switches it back to Off.

Please post back and let me know if this did/did not help you if you try it and also with the brand of your TV (as I am very curious about which brands this needs to be done for!)

I hope this helps guys!  

SEE BELOW FOR THE POSSIBLE FPS/PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT GUIDE!

What I am about to step you through here can be described in detail with "exactly" what it does to your PS4 here:

I highly recommend you read this before you continue!  I have done this many times and have NEVER lost any data however it states straight from Sony's Website   -------> ( https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044/~/ps4%3A-safe-mode )  that possible data loss can occur.  Just a reminder!  (Although this shouldn't be an issue if you have your save data backed up to the PS+ cloud anyways.)

NOTE:  Please read the above link before you continue!

I also don't recommend this unless you're having framerate drops that make the game unplayable for you!

See below for steps if you have read all of the above in this spoiler section and are comfortable with trying this!

1.  Have your Dualshock 4 controller ready with its USB hook up/Charger ready to plug into the PS4.

2.  Shut down the PS4 all the way. (No need to unplug it or anything)

3.  Hold your finger on the power button for 3-6 seconds or until you hear it beep "TWICE".  The PS4 should beep once IMMEDIATELY when you lay your finger on the power button, keep your finger on that button until you hear it beep a second time, then you can let go!

4.  If you did the above correctly, you will be in "the PS4's Safe mode" where there are a number of options.

5.  What you want to do is select "Rebuild Database"  

6.  Once you click that you will receive a prompt that says "this may take 3 hours etc."  -- Mine took 3 MAYBE 5 minutes and I have about 300 - 350 gigs of data on my Ps4.

NOTE: From what I can tell, this is similar to what "defragging" a harddrive on a PC would do, maybe a tad different.

-Doing this has fixed various problems for me in the past such as:  my trophy's not popping up in the right hand corner, when receiving them, not receiving notifications when I would get messaged on PSN, and a much smoother framerate on alot of games I have.  Even Infamous: Second Son benefitted from this for me (I own the disc) "Although, after installation, I don't think it matters too much whether your playing a digital or disc based game as far as performance is concerned"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF your framerate is still not ideal on PS4 - Warframe after doing the above - then I suggest doing the following:

-1. Go to Settings on your PS4, go to System Storage management then Application Saved Data.

-2. Uninstall your "save data" for Warframe, and then also completely Uninstall the game itself.

NOTE:  Don't worry!-- You will not lose ANYTHING really! Anything you have bought with plat or earned via playing / all your stats/ anything you may have building in progress is all saved on DE's servers!  

-The only information that this save data carries as far as I can tell is your Gear Slots (Where your Specters/Codex Scanner/ Antitoxins Etc go),  and your Options/Preferences.  You WILL have to re do all of these after re-downloading the game- this just includes things like field of view, hud scaling, motion blur, Aim sensitivity & your controller configuration.

-3. To completely uninstall the game go to Settings, System Storage management, and then Application Data.  

Find Warframe (should be anywhere from 4 to 10 gigs in size depending on all the patches) press the Options button on your controller and this should give you the option to remove Warframe from your PS4 entirely.

-4.  Today's consoles are a lot like computer so I recommend a PS4 Reboot after removing Warframe from your system.

Rebooting is not necessary, though it "COULD, THEORETICALLY" mean a slight difference in a few extra FPS though for "whatever" reason.

-5  Now just go to the playstation store or "my library" and Re-download Warframe, make sure it downloads fully uninterupted & the update file installs along with the initial game download.  After that, launch Warframe and let the launcher update do it's thing - (will download most of what is the latest patch).  Re-do your Options in Warframe as far as your settings/controls, don't forget to requip any health/energy uses or spectres you may have had equipped!

Then you are good to go!

After taking both of these steps you should definitely see noticable performance increase.  If you do not, then it may just be your Internet connection or something else going on with your PS4 (past this is out of my comfort zone!)

-I hope this works for anyone who tries it!  If anyone who is having framerate issues does indeed try this - Please post below and let me know if it does / does not help!

I hope both of these guides come in handy!!! :-)  

12 answers to this question

Doesn't affect mine, using a 42" Vizio TV.

Edit: Tried the rebuild databases thing and that actually helped increase my load time by quite a bit. I imagine I'm going to do this once a month or so.

Edited by Letter13

My TV has no aspect ratio settings. 
If your TV has a "Deep Color" setting, turn that off and then turn on RGB. They both do essentially the same thing, it seems, but with both on it causes a lot of color bleeding and RGB looks better. There are more transitional tones with RGB on full.

My TV is a 26" Emerson HDTV.

I have a 47 inch LG HDTV just FYI.  The only TV I have seen the following not effect are Sony TV's.

I have a 55' Sony Bravia and one tip I can add is to change your "Scene" mode. Mine has different preset lighting and color scenes for movies, sports, games, photos, internet, etc.

I can't tell too much difference between a lot of them but Movie is definitely a lot darker (great for watching DVDs in a very dim room...) so switch it to Game or a similar looking Scene to match your preference.

The hud expansion helped me a lot for U14. I could barely see the sorting options of the mod screen (i.e. Rank, Drain, Name) until I moved the viewable area for the HUD out about an inch from where it was. (now maxed to all the sides)

This is awesome!! I am so glad this is helping some people

Please spread the word for both the color and the 16:9 setting actually limiting your Field of view on Warframe and alot of different PS4 games.  I have seen the improvements myself on atleast 4 separate TV's now when I switched them and I gaurantee there are ALOT of people that don't know about the 16:9 effecting the PS4 HUD on certain if not all games.  

Shout out to my good buddy for showing me this, he is the man & a TV guru.  Thank you Antsack! :-)

Also! I found out some information from a player that was having problems with his game, and I ended up helping him improve his framerate quite alot, according to him.  I am updating the OP of this thread now to show the steps to take if you are getting really horrible framerate on warframe for "whatever" reason.  It may help!

Thank you Suzookis_Maximus for adding the information about the Sony TV here!  I will also add that!

Darkrai848-- thanks very much for feedback like this.  I feel that it will help alot of people.  Some people prefer it off (I'm not sure why)  because you get a wider variety of colors with it ON if it does indeed not cause color bleed etc... and usually a much *richer* picture.

I suggest amending the RGB Full/Limited/Automatic thing after reading more into it, if you're just basing it off a whim. On my PS3 I researched whether RGB color range should be limited or full, and Full vs. Limited came out to be a combination of knowing what your TV/Display was expecting as well as what content you were trying to display. My TV even had an HDMI Black Level setting that was basically a Full/Limited switch, but a majority of content designed for televisions uses the Limited range, and I got great picture sticking to Limited and then just calibrating from there. PS4 may be more suited to Full than the PS3, but your TV may not necessarily be so.

So, since I'm unfamiliar with the PS4, IMO, you should leave it on Automatic and just calibrate your display if you haven't, or only change it to something manually if you've read into it and know what your TV likes to work with. I haven't read about it in a while so I can't really help anyone more than just saying you should look into it yourself instead of believing either option is always superior to the other.

Thanks for that feedback BlueA10 and yes, absolutely, its a preference thing.  

Some people I have showed this to simply don't like the deeper colors, and it even can cause color bleeding on some TV's while on Full.  However, most people I show this to prefer it on Full. 

I don't believe there is anyway it can hurt your TV at all to test it on full by switching it to "full" for a sec to see which you prefer, correct me if I am wrong please!

Thanks for that feedback BlueA10 and yes, absolutely, its a preference thing.

Some people I have showed this to simply don't like the deeper colors, and it even can cause color bleeding on some TV's while on Full.

However, most people I show this to prefer it on Full.

I don't believe there is anyway it can hurt your TV at all to test it on full by switching it to "full" for a sec to see which you prefer, correct me if I am wrong please!

No you're right, to my knowledge it should be impossible that it would damage a TV, and in the end it does come down to a preference.

I'm someone who prefers to get the most "accurate" picture I can out of my displays, and by using a certain setting over the other it may be more immediately appealing to some but it can also be considered "inaccurate" to others. I just wanted to share my perspective on this.

Edited by BlueA10

Nice!!! Seriously glad to hear this R6Chameleon!!!  I knew that this would help alot of people!  I really hope more people see this!  If you see anyone complaining of framerate issues on the PS4 please direct them here!

There is a very high probability you will not lose ANY data-  I do this periodically to my ps4 "like I would defrag my computer"  even though I run a SSD (Solid State Harddrive) in my PS4 (Probably not advised-but I don't care lol.)

I have never lost a single shred of data.

Actually in other news.  Lightning hit my TV and PS4 about a month ago now and fried 2 HDMI ports on my TV, my cable box, and the HDMI port on my ps4... and I still was able to salvage all of the data and I use the same SSD in the new ps4 they sent me... lol!  

Plus if you are a PS+ member-- any data loss that may occur (asside from having to redownload or reinstall a game or DLC) All saves are normally auto-backed up to the PSN cloud for you.  So if you did lose data, it really isn't a big deal-- just pull it back from the cloud. 

No you're right, to my knowledge it should be impossible that it would damage a TV, and in the end it does come down to a preference.

I'm someone who prefers to get the most "accurate" picture I can out of my displays, and by using a certain setting over the other it may be more immediately appealing to some but it can also be considered "inaccurate" to others. I just wanted to share my perspective on this.

Absolutely understood!  I appreciate this feedback and I am sure others will also!   THANK you BlueA10!

Just want to add something about player who get screen tearing:

screen tearing can be caused when FPS is above the monitors frequancy e.g. 60Hz (60 FPS)

1. check your tv's frequancy as some maybe old and run @ 30 FPS on 1080p/i
  2. *PS4 settings* make sure your running 1080i and not 1080p (the p stands for progressive and shows the image in halves, if you running at a low framerate this could be a issue , the i stands for increment which makes actual full frames per second so it should remove the screen tearing issue)