Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Red Veil Rising [<=I Think I Need A New Title, Putting This On Hold] (Updated 10/17)

HappyApathy

Due to information revealed in the latest Dev Stream I am going to have to reconsider how I approach this, when more information is made available I will try, if possible, to rework the concepts here to be compatible within the existing lore, if you have any suggestions on how to do so I would gladly consider it.

What is this about?

I've been working on a large scale concept thread in the Fan Concept called Allies of the Tenno which is pretty much the one and only thread currently existing that focuses on the idea of expanding and creating sympathetic factions for the Tenno with the goal of expanding game play, lore, and emotional element of Warframe. Without intending too it's developed into a massive collaborative effort with multiple writers and artists contributing to it.

The thread puts particular emphasis on the Red Veil and hopes that the devs will take it to heart and not turn them into just a bunch of angry guys in red jump suits, but a true faction in their own with characters, well defined motives, background stories, nodes, and even combat forces. There are also a number of other groups been developed for possible consideration later in the future.

Why make another thread?

In all honesty the main thread is a giant wall of text, talking about implementation, game play mechanics, in-depth lore explanations, etc, and many people just get scared away by that, what they may not realize that is this concept is likely the most art festooned concept around and much of that art is fantastically well done (not my art though, my art is chicken scratch compared to everyone else).

I've talked with the artists participating (a fairly large number for a single concept), both those who have submitted art and are going too, and they've pretty much all agreed that making a more art oriented companion thread to be a good idea, so here it is.

Important Note about the Red Veil

One of the key ideas that developed from the thread was the idea of splitting the Red Veil into two branches that constitute the whole, one branch been called the Vandals, the other the Ghosts, while they both cooperate they are very different from each other in their concept.

---------------------------TL;DR, GET TO THE ARTWORK POINT-------------------------

Note: You might have to zoom out a bit or open images in a separate tab if they are large

IF YOU LIKE THIS BE SURE TO UP-VOTE THE MAIN CONCEPT THREAD TOO

Allies of the Tenno

NEWEST ADDITIONS:

Callistean Gauss/Railgun weapon concepts. Been a highly advance technological society like the Corpus, the idea was to give the Free Colony of Callisto a niche set of weapons that set them apart from the Corpus (who use energy weapons) and the Grineer (who use crude projectile firearms) by giving them highly sophisticated physical projectile weaponry: By EVAtemplar117

NYwLO2p.png

Early concept for a rework of Cantis. The current character of Cantis is rather flat and undefined, one aim of this concept is turn her into a true well defined character with an expanded role in the Warframe universe. The rework would potentially make her into one of the leaders of the Red Veil with her driving motivation been a burning hatred towards the Grineer. She would be given a severe and cold personality and would likely be one of the darker characters of Warframe. If you are interested in finding out more, or have feedback/suggestions for her appearance or character, please check this post here. By Panzer_the_Tank:

cantis_by_panzerthetank-d81iyr9.jpg

Vandal/Rebel Serro Crewmen: Essentially a bigger badder Prodman, Serro wielders would be dressed up similar to Crewman with a slightly different color scheme, they might even wear makeshift 'non-regulation' body armor to allow them get up close to hack apart enemies. By WEREsandrock

awZQo6t.jpg

Lyza Tal, the right hand of Zhon (leader of the Vandals), once a girl of privilege and Corpus high society, Lyza's former life was destroyed by political intrigue and back stabbing and she has since become a full time rebel against the system and the representative of the "youth in rebellion" element of the Vandals. While been a capable fighter, Lyza is also a talented hacker and has deep insight into the inner workings of Corpus politics due to her background, she also has a knack for promoting and publicizing the Vandal cause. Missions involving her would be more oriented towards propaganda and publicly exposing the Corpus for their crimes. By SUMA:

bOFC03R.jpg

Cropped Version:

m364ITR.jpg

Possible concepts for Ex-Crewman Zhon (Based upon John/Johnny Corpus of Prodman fame, name pronounced similar to "John"), leader of the Vandals (Corpus Rebels), responsible for anti-Corpus Red Veil activities (looking for feedback for character revisions, find out more about him in the main concept under "The Vandals" => Characters) (Click for larger image), by Goatasty:

10661674_771787446201549_752436404111866

Red Veil Ghost Partisan by ValhaHazred:

kjB07Yd.jpg

THE VANDALS (Corpus Rebels, Red Veil)

From disaffected youth, to disillusioned crewmen, those who face the Corpus are united by a desire to bring down the corrupt and oppressive guild and create a better future, the Vandals are a revolutionary movement that is working towards toppling or seizing control of the Corpus guild.

As their name suggests they are meant to be related to Vandal weaponry, they are lead by a Crewman defector named Zhon who is based upon John/Johnny Corpus of Prodman fame. Their driving theme is revolution.

Vandal Concepts by Goatasty, redefining the Legendary Prodman as a Red Veil member and ally of the Tenno

Possible concepts for Ex-Crewman Zhon (Based upon John/Johnny Corpus of Prodman fame, name pronounced similar to "John"), leader of the Vandals (Corpus Rebels), responsible for anti-Corpus Red Veil activities (looking for feedback for character revisions, find out more about him in the main concept under "The Vandals" => Characters) (Click for larger image).

10661674_771787446201549_752436404111866

Vandal Concepts by SUMA, Lyza Tal, the face of "youth in rebellion" for the Vandals

Lyza Tal, the right hand of Zhon (leader of the Vandals), once a girl of privilege and Corpus high society, Lyza's former life was destroyed by political intrigue and back stabbing and she has since become a full time rebel against the system and the representative of the "youth in rebellion" element of the Vandals. While been a capable fighter, Lyza is also a talented hacker and has deep insight into the inner workings of Corpus politics due to her background, she also has a knack for promoting and publicizing the Vandal cause. Missions involving her would be more oriented towards propaganda and publicly exposing the Corpus for their crimes.

bOFC03R.jpg

Cropped Version:

m364ITR.jpg

Vandal Concepts by WEREsandrock, the Serro Wielder, bigger and nastier then the Prodmen

Vandal/Rebel Serro Crewmen: Essentially a bigger badder Prodman, Serro wielders would be dressed up similar to Crewman with a slightly different color scheme, they might even wear makeshift 'non-regulation' body armor to allow them get up close to hack apart enemies.

awZQo6t.jpg

Vandal Concepts by Artwarren, please note how he redid the weapons with Vandal themes

Generic rebel in light outfit, wearing hard hat, cloth mask, sidearm, comm/hacking tool (think of it like a modified portable computer with holographic interface):

NcXM1Ar.png

Heavier soldier, the muscle of the rebellion so to say, mostly people with military experience, former law enforcement or those with fitting physique and access to proper combat gear:

dFhRRiy.png

Face plate can have various decals, for example:

ilAHIAs.png

"Shield Bearer" Concept Art: This makeshift exoskeleton made from MOA parts and scrap metal utilizes osprey's fuel cells as energy source. The osprey itself is still operational, it recharges and reinforces shields of nearby allies while also alerting the "host" to threats from behind. With added physical power, the user can wield heavy weapons like Supra. Due to rarity and relatively low mobility, only used in large open engagements:

q0R36DV.png

Patchwork MOA Concepts:

Left: Kamikaze MOA, basically a Shockwave MOA with explosives strapped to its back and all expensive inner components (including the shockwave generators) stripped for cheap production.

Right: Stun MOA. Armed with a variant of Amprex (reverse-engineered or just straight up toned down on hardware level) powerful just enough to keep a group of Corpus units incapacitated, they usually accompany a group of kamikazes to help them get closer to the enemy and deal maximum damage. Otherwise they are used to neutralize hostiles without lethal force.

hPPzBoE.png

Vandal concepts by arch111, based on the concept of modified hoverboard gear, similar to modern day motorcycle suits:

Vandal concept:

vandal_concept_02b_by_gaber111-d7t7nf4.j

Alternate color scheme of above:

sketch1407411460302_by_gaber111-d7u2p5o.

Vandal in the process of defacing property (or blow shizz up you decide):

vandal_defacer_rebel_by_gaber111-d7v4srb

Vandal Poster Concept:

wakeupcrewmen_by_gaber111-d7lu8ld.jpg

Corpus Civilian Concept:

corpus_civ_sketch1_by_gaber111-d7m4bmq.j

Corpus Civilian Concept:

sketch1408315106124_by_gaber111-d7vl1w0.

Former Crewman Zhon mourning his lost future, read about it here

zohn_remember_by_gaber111-d7wrcov.png

My own Vandal Concepts, honestly these things are terrible:

ChIMkF2.jpg?2T31aaQa.jpg?1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE GHOSTS (Grineer Conquest Survivors, Red Veil)

Made up of the descendants of colonies lost long ago to the Grineer, the survivors of recently destroyed colonies, and escaped slaves, the Ghosts are a group fueled by tragedy and hate, their main goal is to kill Grineer and bring down the Empire of the Twin Queens.

This group is based upon the existing Red Veil hostage model but would use Wraith weaponry and be augmented with both custom armor and captured Grineer armor that have been redone with a Wraith theme. They would potentially be lead by Cantis, an escaped Grineer slave hell bent on vengeance. Their driving theme is revenge.

Ghost Concepts by Goatasty, no more helpless hostages Red Veil is here to kick @$$

Ghost soldier:

10431164_759439790769648_602223299647964

Variations of the above:

10523331_759953424051618_803560900019793

This is a female Ghost of the Red Veil. I chose a white suit because I thought it would be more fitting for characters named "Ghosts" It also has a more feminine feel. I also added in my variant of Tenno pets. A lizard-dog thing. He can crawl on walls and scratch enemies. perhaps with poison spit too? Just throwin it out there (people have suggested having it come from Phobos).

ghost_chick_by_typhoonbomb-d7wuop8.jpg

ART CONTINUES ON NEXT POST, IF YOU LIKE IT BE SURE TO UP VOTE THIS POST TOO

Edited by HappyApathy

Ghost Concepts by Panzer_the_Tank, Cantis is getting a bad @$$ makeover

Early concept for a rework of Cantis. The current character of Cantis is rather flat and undefined, one aim of this concept is turn her into a true well defined character with an expanded role in the Warframe universe. The rework would potentially make her into one of the leaders of the Red Veil with her driving motivation been a burning hatred towards the Grineer. She would be given a severe and cold personality and would likely be one of the darker characters of Warframe. If you are interested in finding out more, or have feedback/suggestions for her appearance or character, please check this post here.

cantis_by_panzerthetank-d81iyr9.jpg

Ghost Concepts by ValhaHazred, a more armored interpretation

Red Veil Ghost Partisan with Wraith painted Grineer armor, Latron Wraith, and Kraken Wraith

kjB07Yd.jpg

Red Veil Wraith Syandana's:

For Partisans (left) it adds a shell like part over the "wings"

For Assassins (right) it get a long tail as well:

X2RgZDg.jpgo2gjxDk.jpg

My own Ghost concept art, not so great

NEdtuCg.jpg?1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The Following are no longer Red Veil associated groups

TRIBES OF PHOBOS (Desert Isolationists)

An ancient people who fled to Phobos to escape the chaos of The Collapse long ago, they have lived in isolation until the recent Grineer invasion and now fight a grueling guerrilla war among the deserts and canyons of Mar's moon.

Tribes of Phobos Concepts by DrEADcoffins, these people look scary:

phobens_by_dreadcoffins-d7wr66g.png

My own Phoben concepts, I actually feel okay about these:

Phoben Tribesman (with Grinlok):

EkCWlkV.jpg?1

Phoben Knife-Fighter

Bomy6IR.jpg?1

THE FREE COLONY OF CALLISTO (The Last Free World)

It was the blood of Callisto's colonists that spared Jupiter from the Grineer a generation ago, and for it they were rewarded with annexation and extortion by the Corpus. The Callisteans have recently rejected the 'protection' of their Corpus overlords and regained their status as an independent colony but now face the vengeful might of the Grineer Empire. Despite years of preparations the outlook is grim as a massive Grineer invasion fleet bears down upon the moon of Jupiter.

Free Colony of Callisto concepts by EVAtemplar117

Callistean Gauss/Railgun weapon concepts. Been a highly advance technological society like the Corpus, the idea was to give the Free Colony of Callisto a niche set of weapons that set them apart from the Corpus (who use energy weapons) and the Grineer (who use crude projectile firearms) by giving them highly sophisticated physical projectile weaponry

NYwLO2p.png

There are more groups however they currently lack artwork or use art recycled from other threads, if you are interested in them please read about them in the main concept thread Allies of the Tenno

A LOT MORE ART TO COME IN THE FUTURE, CHECK BACK LATER

I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW SUGGESTIONS AND ARTISTS

If you have suggestions for this concept, or would like to contribute artwork, I am more then willing to add it in to this, head over to the main concept thread and post what you have to offer there.

IF YOU LIKE THIS BE SURE TO UP-VOTE THE MAIN CONCEPT THREAD AND THE ORIGINAL POST HERE:

Allies of the Tenno

Edited by HappyApathy

Civilians? Friendly AI?!

31ce85d53d4ab5eae8d60ee63a0f1330.jpg

do you guys remember Polymelodic's question about companions on TennoLive? oh I'm still worrying about Scott, seems she broke him by this question XD

ok companion AI is a hard... but "answer sponsored by local beer" was "yes"! we see lot of variations in approach to design enemy AI in Warframe now, and I believe DE could accomplish this challenge good! you know, smthng like Companion AI 2.0, what will remove this "cuddle me big strong tenno" behavior of ally faction in invasions (ok this is really smart behavior but bit annoying) and mad headless chicken helicopter jumping with rage to kill all the enemies around of hostages (srsly, I don't give hostages a weapon while solo 'cause I want him/her follow me, not keep calm, die in battle and went to valhalla)

so what I want to say - ideas of  Allies Of The Tenno thread are pretty close to ingame mechanics what we have now. this is one of the features - ideas in this thread do not need "some love with engine source" for realization, only applied works.

do you guys remember Polymelodic's question about companions on TennoLive? oh I'm still worrying about Scott, seems she broke him by this question XD

ok companion AI is a hard... but "answer sponsored by local beer" was "yes"! we see lot of variations in approach to design enemy AI in Warframe now, and I believe DE could accomplish this challenge good! you know, smthng like Companion AI 2.0, what will remove this "cuddle me big strong tenno" behavior of ally faction in invasions (ok this is really smart behavior but bit annoying) and mad headless chicken helicopter jumping with rage to kill all the enemies around of hostages (srsly, I don't give hostages a weapon while solo 'cause I want him/her follow me, not keep calm, die in battle and went to valhalla)

so what I want to say - ideas of  Allies Of The Tenno thread are pretty close to ingame mechanics what we have now. this is one of the features - ideas in this thread do not need "some love with engine source" for realization, only applied works.

Well the main purpose of the concept is more lore expansion and game immersion vs. new mechanics so I've purposefully been keeping the scope of it somewhat narrow in that respect, so far its been working.

Well the main purpose of the concept is more lore expansion and game immersion vs. new mechanics so I've purposefully been keeping the scope of it somewhat narrow in that respect, so far its been working.

and this is right! IMO this is how fanconcepts should work at all! "flies should be separated from stakes" - if suggested conception needs improving of  mechanics, then somewhere should be fanconception about this improving (what needs understanding and knowing of game engine). at least understanding of "how it works" gives opportunity to suggest some gameplay features what will use existing mechanics (eg notionphil good in this. and I'm ok in this :)).

NB (for readers of this topic):  "Allies Of The Tenno" is not another boring fanfiction "lore project", this is full, well designed complex conception

Edited by emaralez87

Added in two new concept pieces:

Phoben Tribes people by DrEADcoffins:

phobens_by_dreadcoffins-d7wr66g.png

Former Crewman Zhon mourning his lost future (read about it here) by arch111:

zohn_remember_by_gaber111-d7wrcov.png

Got a bit of a debate going whether Zhon should have hair or not (he has stopped following Corpus regulations, question is whether baldness is natural among the Corpus or if they just regularly shave it off).

Edited by HappyApathy

Rebel made MOAs by Artarrwen

Left: Kamikaze MOA, basically a Shockwave MOA with explosives strapped to its back and all expensive inner components (including the shockwave generators) stripped for cheap production.

Right: Stun MOA. Armed with a variant of Amprex (reverse-engineered or just straight up toned down on hardware level) powerful just enough to keep a group of Corpus units incapacitated, they usually accompany a group of kamikazes to help them get closer to the enemy and deal maximum damage. Otherwise they are used to neutralize hostiles without lethal force.

hPPzBoE.png

Female Red Veil Ghost Operative by Goatasty:

This is the female Ghost of the Red Veil. I chose a white suit because I thought it would be more fitting for characters named "Ghosts" It also has a more feminine feel. I also added in my variant of Tenno pets. A lizard-dog thing. He can crawl on walls and scratch enemies. perhaps with poison spit too? Just throwin it out there (some people have suggested it could come from Phobos):

ghost_chick_by_typhoonbomb-d7wuop8.jpg
Edited by HappyApathy

I can just imagine having a corpus city tileset where the city is going under a riot; meanwhile Tennos infiltrate an armory or something of that importance(Survial mission begins) and every 15 minutes you get Vandals coming in and supporting you, and you get extra rewards for keeping them alive.

Sounds more like an event now *hint* hint*

If it helps with some future artwork of the Red Veil, I thought I'd point out that Cantis seems to be wearing the eos set of armor over her jumpsuit.

I've noticed that before and kinda hope DE goes for a different final design for the Red Veil for a few reasons:

1. Much of what the Red Veil could be like is still up in the air and in flux, the final design that could be settled upon and seen in game could still be very much changed or retconned from what has been seen, I truly hope DE takes what is been shown here to heart and shapes them into something more interesting then a bunch of reskinned hostage models with a few extra attachments

2. There's a big difference between been a void-powered super space ninja blinging out your high tech body suit armor versus been just a regular ol' human being and expecting a few strips of decorative metal to save you from a hail of bullets, you would think if the Red Veil had the choice they would put something more substantial and with greater body coverage then the decorative armor sets that are available to the Tenno

Edited by HappyApathy