Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Animation Cancels

Kotoso

Question

I am pretty obsessed with animation cancels in video games. This is a compilation of things I have either found myself, or read on the forums.

Movement:

Slash Jump  - sprint > crouch > jump > melee

Cancel it fast enough that you just see the slide attack, not the slide or the jump. Can link into a wallrun if you hold jump.

Infinite Slide Attack - (hold sprint >) hold crouch > melee > release crouch > repeat

The timing is easier with toggle crouch. If you can't get this to work with the weapon you are using (Zorans definately do this, not sure if there are others) you might have to reload or block after the slide attack to link into another one.

Thanks to Tieria for this technique

Wall connect - (in the air) hold crouch, jump and sprint > slash >  release crouch

http://youtu.be/gCgWcn58ffk

Landing roll cancel - crouch

Crouch or slide when you land and are going fast enough to roll. The video also shows some other stuff, like how you can do ground only actions from a wallrun.

Thanks to shukudai for the technique

Wave Dash - sprint > crouch > repeat

Thanks to shukudai for the video

Has a cooldown timer on the slide speed boost as of update 7.8

Hack Cancel - Esc (quicker to hit esc when you solve the hack to get back into the action)

Combat:

Reload Cancel - Block, melee, acrobatics, landing on the ground, etc.

Guns finish reloading when the reload circle is 3/4 full. You can cancel then to speed up your reload, or you can cancel a partial reload  before then if you want to use the remaining ammo in the mag.

Melee Cancel - Shoot, roll, block, jump, etc.

After melee attacks, there is an animation where you put away your melee weapons and pull out your gun. During this time, you cannot zoom in with your gun, but you can do pretty much anything else.

Double Slide Attack - sprint > crouch > slash > slash

Sliding Charge Attack -  sprint > start charging > crouch > charge attack activates

Can link into a double slide attack.

Reload Shot - shoot > reload > block > repeat

Removed the ability to reload during shot delay during update 7.9

Reload Splicing - (reloading > ) block > shoot > reload > pause > repeat

Shukudai discovered a side effect of the reload shot where if you leave and reenter a reloading state fast enough, the game will reset the reloading circle, but the time on the reload is still counting. When all the reloads times added together are equal to 3/4 of the circle, your magazine fills, even if you are shooting during this process.

-If your ammo counter hits 0, there is a forced reload that stops this process, so don't keep blocking and reloading when you run out of ammo.

http://youtu.be/nWcMnMuwP7o

Slam Cancel - plunge attack > Melee Cancel

Pressing the sprint button once or jump once can replace reload, but you can screw those inputs up. Reload works if you mash it, and even if your gun is fully loaded. As shown in the video, sprint can work as well, and won't need timing as it is a buffered command.

Aerial Slam Cancel - Jump Slash/Wall Connect > Plunge Attack > Melee Cancel

You have to cancel the melee end animation into a plunge attack, and then anything that cancels the melee ending animation can cancel the plunge attack as well. Once you touch the ground, the animation gets locked in until the attack hits, and you can cancel it again like above.

http://youtu.be/nqsw_IiQW18

Deglitchifying:

If you get stuck unable to melee, try rolling. If you get stuck in the plunge attack animation while touching the ground, press shift or try shooting.

That is all for now. Please post if you have more animation cancels to add.

Edited by Kotoso

K—Styling specifically uses a lot of cancelling with the animations.

What we have in Warframe is basically how smooth the transitions are between each action as long as you have the reaction time for it.

That, and calling it K-Style just because of how its similar to GunZ is just... No.

The Koreans have nothing to do with this, nor is it a style associated with them.

Its just how well DE has made the game for experienced players to be significantly agile with skills alone.

Hell, most of the above-mentioned maneuvers I've figured it out for myself out of sheer experience and experimentation.

All because the awesome Devs at DE made it possible to chain them together fluidly. Not koreans.

Edited by Shaftronics

K—Styling specifically uses a lot of cancelling with the animations.

What we have in Warframe is basically how smooth the transitions are between each action as long as you have the reaction time for it.

That, and calling it K-Style just because of how its similar to GunZ is just... No.

The Koreans have nothing to do with this, nor is it a style associated with them.

Its just how well DE has made the game for experienced players to be significantly agile with skills alone.

Hell, most of the above-mentioned maneuvers I've figured it out for myself out of sheer experience and experimentation.

All because the awesome Devs at DE made it possible to chain them together fluidly. Not koreans.

Agreed. Leave "K-Style" in GunZ. Animation cancelling existed long before anything Korean got their hands on it.

Hi guys,

I'm making a video that will be released soon, breaking down the system and possibilities that are opened up via the plunge cancel mentioned in OP (except I've called it a "Slam Cancel" due to my maining a Fragor lol).

If anyone's interested, feel free to subscribe to my Youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMGussQAqVJdxv_uZ3erKYg to be notified when it comes out, as well as more advanced Warframe Techniques!

p.s. Kotoso I know what is happening, maybe the coming vid will demystify it for you ;)

Welp! Time to learn how to Flash Step and Triple Butterfly. Thanks for the tip.

Any idea what weapons are best for Infinite Slide Attack movement? I'd assume Fang, but I'd like confirmation from someone that actually knows. ISA, Reload Shot and Reload Cancel all look like basic, highly-effective improvements everyone should know about.

I love WarframeZ: The Duel.

Edited by FenixStryk

It is purely based on the rate of the weapon modified by the Fury mod. Fangs vs single daggers makes no difference in speed. The Dual Zorens are the fastest, but you have to add an additional reload to cancel the weapon switch animation after the slide attack. For some reason they are different. Possibly other weapons as well, I have heard about people complaining that the double slide attack also stopped working for the Furax, I think.

Edited by Kotoso

Yes, Dual Zorens are the best in terms of initial burst speed and distance, but lack the consistency and direction manipulation (control). The reason why the Dual Zorens will not work with my technique (the second one) is because the sheathe animation comes too quick and while the flying/slide animation is still in play. For my technique to work, the sliding animation must be completed before the sheathing animation comes. But the sheathing animation can't be too far behind (for example, slow weapons without fury) otherwise timing will be just as difficult.

Edited by Tieria

Yes, Dual Zorens are the best in terms of initial burst speed and distance, but lack the consistency and direction manipulation (control). The reason why the Dual Zorens will not work with my technique (the second one) is because the sheathe animation comes too quick and while the flying/slide animation is still in play. For my technique to work, the sliding animation must be completed before the sheathing animation comes. But the sheathing animation can't be too far behind (for example, slow weapons without fury) otherwise timing will be just as difficult.

They do work, you just have to reload or block after every slide attack to cancel the... whatever it is that zorens have that prevent you from using melee attack after a slide.

After picking up Reload Shot, Reload Cancel and Infinite Slide Attack, I've been vetting Strun - Lex - Fang and have found them to be of great effect. It took a moment for me to find the right key bindings for all of it, but it was certainly worth the time.

Fortunately for people with slow hands, RS and ISA are completely useless with automatic firearms and slow melee weapons... weapons which, coincidentally, are also the best weapons in the game. Outside of Reload Cancel, the Hek, Gorgon, Akbolto, Bronco, Twin Vipers, Scindo and Furax gain effectively zero benefit from these techniques.

That said, I'm glad Rhino can keep up once again, albeit while looking like a spinning top.

Edited by FenixStryk

They do work, you just have to reload or block after every slide attack to cancel the... whatever it is that zorens have that prevent you from using melee attack after a slide.

Ah I just tested this and that indeed does work, but adding in one more button to the combination just might be a bit too hard for the average player with normal keybinds. Here. I did three tests. One with my technique with my ethers, one with the zorens, and the normal jumping one with the zorens that everyone knows.

My technique in the upper left is much easier to execute with the ethers than the dual zorens in the upper right because it doesn't need one more key combination (block) like the zorens for it to work. Getting consistency with the flying squirrel (Slash Jump) and zoren sliding melee is a bit tricky.

Also, at a closer look, I noticed the zorens are so quick, that the sheathe animation doesn't even happen and it just reappears right on the back again.

Edited by Tieria

Oops, I already commented on youtube asking if you canceled the top right. It is hard to tell. It is certainly faster than not canceling the Zorans, but you are right, consistency is more difficult.

Aha. Might as well answer here too! I am canceling with block.

*pokes head in thread* hello :3

Here's something I've been working on with Kotoso: [link removed, video taken down]

Playing around with it today on Xini, it's very useful in later waves. :D

edit: i'm hesitant to showcase any really advanced techs right now, after U7.8.  Episode 4 is probably going to be the Wallrunning Advanced tutorial at this point. :(

Edited by shukudai

*pokes head in thread* hello :3

Here's something I've been working on with Kotoso: 

Playing around with it today on Xini, it's very useful in later waves. :D

Now that's look like an exploit :) Dashing techniques with melee is one thing, but such reloading is completely another.