Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The People We Playing With *super-Mega-Updated* (Random Match Discussion)

Sixty5

Let's face it, a good portion of the people you will meet in Pugs (pick up groups) will be terrible for one reason or another. They will rage, run off on their own, or spend more time on their backs than on their feet. It is a simple fact of life in any online multiplayer game.

But why is this? I mean it isn't like this game is highly difficult or rage inducing, so why do our teammates rub us the wrong way so much.

Well in an effort to discover why I have compiled a list of the types of player that you will typically encounter in public matches in order to try and work out a trend. I will admit here that this list is only mostly serious, so without further ado here is a spoiler to save page space

The Nuker

Description: This player has bound their 4th power to their left mouse button and is not afraid to show it. It doesn't matter whether they are up against a group of enemies or facing off against a single Grineer trooper, the solution is the same, nuke 'em.

Highly likely to be a door hero.

Most Used Frame: Anything with a high damage ultimate

Skill Level: Much, much lower than they think it is.

Teammate Rating: 2/10

The Lone Wolf

Description: You know they are in the game because you saw them join, and because there are a bunch of drops just sitting there, but that is all. This player doesn't need help and doesn't go down and expects you to extend the same courtesy to them.

In all likely hood the Lone wolf has probably forgotten that they have matchmaking set to public rather than solo.

Most Used Frame: Varies

Skill Level: Above Average

Teammate Rating: 4/10

The Lone Scrub

Description: They'd ;like to think they are a Lone Wolf, but in reality they lack the skills to play that way and just end up going down far away from their teammates.

This usually results in them raging at their teammates via chat.

Skill Level: Average

Teammate Rating: 1/10

The Support

Description: 90% of this guys playtime is with Trinity, and it shows. With this guy on your team your health and energy seem to be locked at their maximum, and if you ever go down they will be right there to pick you up.

At the end of a game played with The Support you'll be proud enough of your 1300 kills to show your score to your mates, and laugh about the dude who barely made 100, however you will neglect to show that guy's 40+ revives, and the fact that they pretty much carried you.

Most Used Frame: Trinity, with a few other support frames as well.

Teammate Rating: 8/10

The Scrub-port

Description: This player has decided to pick up a support frame in order to expand their arsenal. Unfortunately their lack of skill as a support will leave them raging at their teammates for not sticking with them or for killing their targets.

Most Used Frame: Most often seen as Nekros or Nyx

Skill Level: Below Average

Teammate Rating: 3/10

The Emmet

Description: Plays commonly used frames, and uses commonly used weapons, yet despite their power they still end up only performing averagely. Completely unremarkable in every way shape or form.

Most Used Frame: Plays to the meta.

Skill Level: Depressingly average.

The Commander

Description: For whatever reason this guy has decided to take charge of the mission. It is his sacred duty to tell everyone else what to play and how to play it, because they simply do not know better. If someone does not listen to the Commander they should be prepared to be raged at over chat.

The Dev

Description: Extremely rare to see, but occasionally a person with a DE tag will join the game. The shock of seeing such a thing often proves too much for their fellow players causing them to play terribly, through no fault of their own.

Skill Level: Varies

Teammate Rating: 11/10, who cares if they make you play bad, they're a Dev, who wouldn't want to play with them?

The Girl Gamer

Description: Female and lets you know it. With one of them in game you will spend the rest of the match watching chat get creepier and creepier. They have the same sort of effect that a Dev has, though usually to a lesser extent, desince a number of players have encountered a female before.

Most Used Frame: Something cutesy

Teammate Rating: 5/10

Note: After a number of comments regarding this playertype, I feel that I should clarify things. Firstly, by no means do all females fit this category. Secondly, you do not have to be a female to be put here, a number of male players get their jollies by pretending to be female in online games, it is sad, but I am not going to judge.

In-game you are not male, female, black, white, straight or otherwise, you are a player, there to enjoy the game. All the labels and stigmas of society should no longer matter the moment you log in.

The Sniper

Description: They live for the feeling of that one perfect headshot scored from across the map, it doesn't matter if their team goes down far away from them, it's all worth it for that one shot.

Often seen complaining about their teammates going too fast or causing screen shake. Really hates the nuker.

Teammate Rating:4/10

The Tank

Description: They are a mobile wall, the secret service agents of Warframe. They will take bullets for you without a thought of their own safety, which is nice, except for when it ends up with you eating your own Ogris rocket because some fatty was standing in front of you.

Most Used Frame: Rhino, Frost or Valkyr

Teammate Rating: 6/10

The Michael Bay

Description: A nuker but with a fetish for explosions. Every part of their kit will blow things up, which is good for them, because any enemy that does not die in a fiery explosion is an affront against them.

If this player goes down it is most likely because they have blown themselves up, which is perfectly fine with them, any explosion is a good explosion.

Most Used Frame: Nova

The Rusher

Description: Channelling their inner Sanic, they show their love of fast by finishing the mission before their team has left the starting block.

Hailing their gods of speed and the might of coptering through the map, the Rusher looks down upon their teammates as they tell them to wait up.

Only ever seen at the start of the mission, or waiting at friendship doors.

Most Used Frame: Loki or Volt

Skill Level: Slighty above average

The Forma Addict

Description: None of their gear is maxed, but it doesn't really matter since every bit of it has been polarised 12 times. They aren't a particularly toxic player but the fact that they are outplaying you with non-maxed gear just rubs you the wrong way.

The Underuser

Description: Uses a "bad" frame and gets criticised for it in the lobby. In-game however they will outplay everyone else on the team, what's more they are using a weird build as well.

Later on you'll ask for their build and try it out for yourself and fail miserably at it.

Highly likely to be called a hacker.

Most Used Frame: Saryn or something else that is thought "bad" like Ember

The Noob

Description: This Sechura run has been pretty rough for some reason, and you are pretty sure that one guy has spent more time on his back than on his feet. After looking at his setup you can see why. Mastery rank 0 with starter gear.

You have no idea how he got here or why he is trying so hard to feed himself to the infested, all you know is that he is terrible.

Most Used Frame: Excalibur

Skill Level: Non-Existent

Teammate Rating: 1/10, A decoy would be a better teammate

The Collector

Description: Queuing up for a T4 survival you see a player with maxed out MR on your team, you smile to yourself thinking that this will be easy with them on your team, unfortunately for you The Collector has spent the entireity of their 600 hours playtime on Kappa ranking up everything. Sure they have pretty much everything in the game at max rank, but they have no experience with high level enemies.

The Main Man

Description: This guy plays one frame and plays it well, really well. Unfortunately they have been forced off of their go-to setup by people in the lobby, and forced into playing something they don't like/are not very good at.

On the other hand when they get what they want they play a lot like The Underuser or The Support

Skill Level: High on their Main, Below Average on everything else

Teammate Rating: 6/10 on their main, 3/10 on anything else

The RHINO

Description: It was love at first sight. This player spent the first three weeks of their game time farming for Rhino. At which point they breeze through the rest of the games regular content, all the while filling chat with "RHINO SMASH"

At this point they discover the existence of Rhino Prime, they will then spend the next 3 months grinding for him.

This players love for Rhino is only matched by the mountain of skills they have not picked up due to playing most of the game on easy mode. The RHINO is the player most likely to die in the middle of a crowd of level 30 enemies.

Most Used Frame: RHINO

Skill Level: RHINO SMASH

Teammate Rating: RHINO/10

The Role Player

Description: Good gear? The Meta? This player has never heard of them. This guy is far too busy running round with his Kogake-equipped, Hikou slinging Matte-black Ash, spamming the chat with "I'm Batman" to care.

Sure they are about as useful as a solar-powered flashlight in the late game, but they are entertaining.

Most Used Frame: Varies, but often seen as Ash

The Veteran

Description: Spends his days analysing the game and its mechanics, sitting in council chat, and watching the forums rather than playing the game. When they do play they tend to not take things seriously, often playing in a trollish manner or abusing game mechanics to give them an advantage over their team. They may get yelled at for the way they are playing, but they don't care, with 700 hours experience they can carry anyone.

Skill Level: High

The Bro

Description: Their setup and playstyle complement yours, and chatting with them is fun. Having The Bro on your team makes the game a lot more enjoyable, and not adding them to your friends list after the game is an offense punishable by RNG.

The Scrublord

Description: Joins the game with the most OP setup imaginable and then proceeds to play terribly. You have no idea if they are a blind, arthritic 80 year old, or if they are just inhumanly high. Either way you can only take solace in the fact that they are inside playing Warframe and not out in public where they could hurt someone.

Most Used Frame: Anything OP

Skill Level: Negative

The Sixty5

Description: Spends his time watching what other players are doing in order to write up a pointless forum topic instead of playing the game.

This guy is a total tool.

Most Used Frame: Banshee

Skill Level: Has trouble turning on a light switch

Teammate Rating: 0/10

*UPDATE*

The Teamkiller

Description: A fellow Tenno that has become corrupted by the void. This player is for all intents and purposes an enemy. He will stop at nothing to try and take you down, going as far as to run into laser traps to trigger radiation procs on himself.

Many of these players also have trouble reading, as they will often try to revive their teammates by repeatedly pressing the crouch button

Most Used Frame: Red and Black Pendragon Excalibur with Dread, Despair and Hate

The Renaissance Man

Description: This guy can do it all. You've run 5 missions in a row with him and in each one he has used an entirely different setup, with an entirely different playstyle. Happy to fill any role the team needs him to the Renaissance Man thrives on variety.

Though he lacks the mentality and playtime of The Veteran, the Renaissance Man is as close as you will come to finding one in a public match

The Last Samurai

Description: Upon downloading Update 13 this player deleted every gun they owned, in favour of their sword alone. Any enemy that does not die by the sword is an affront to the Last Samurai's honour. After a while this becomes too much to bear and the Last Samurai will commit Sudoku via Toxic Ancient Hugs.

Most often seen waiting for other players to shoot out the cameras on Grineer Laser Doors

Most Used Frame: Usually Ash, or Excalibur

The Explorer

Description: Channelling their inner Indiana Jones, this player boldly goes where no Tenno has gone before, searching every inch of the map for hidden areas. It doesn't matter that they have played the tileset a hundred times before, or that their teammates are waiting at extraction.

Highly likely to complain about rushers

Suggested classes

The Leecher/AFK

Description: Not strictly speaking a type of player, since you actually have to be playing the game in order to be considered one.

Spends their time in matches off making sandwiches or watching cartoons for 3 year olds.

Most Used Frame: Decoy

Skill Level: None

Suggested by Anguis

The Nikolai Tesla

Description: After getting the mighty booben, theseplayers now only use Vortex and Bastille as their abilities while they hide up in high ground and fire at their enemies from above while others simply wait or just kill off 1 or 2 enemies that haven't gotten into the mighty pull of vortex. Sought out for nearly every defense mission in the game, they can be very useful however at times you feel like you aren't even needed at all.

Most Used Frame: Booben

Teammate Rating: 7/10

Suggested by TheErebus

The Troll

Description: This player exists to ruin your day in any possible, through any means great or small. If it will annoy someone they will be doing it.

After a successful day of rustling jimmies they will take of their sweat drenched fedora and cry themselves to sleep.

Most Used Frame: Loki, Booben and Valkyr

Skill Level: Highly skilled in trolling

Suggested by Seikier

The Potato

Description: Sits in one place doing as little as possible.

Most Used Frame: Orokin Reactor

Skill Level: Ask yourself, how much skill can a potato have?

Teammate Rating: Fries/10

'Suggested' by Lirrea in Council Chat

PvP Section

The First Timer

Description: Goes into a PvP match with their regular gear and mods, after all, if they work versus those super tough level 20 Grineer, they should work against other players right?

K/D Rating: Negative

The Big Cheese

Description: Honour means nothing to this player, he joins matches with his loadout built to give him every advantage possible, instagib weapons, cheap mods, and unbalanced abilities. Will often gloat at their superior skill after stomping their opponent.

Most Used Frame: Rhino or Valkyr among others

K/D Rating: Positive

The Playerkiller

Description: 90% of this guys playtime is spent in PvP, be it Dark Sector, Conclave or Duels. This guy lives to triumph over other players, but due to his love of the thrill of contest the Playerkiller will not run unfair loadouts, instead preffering to rely on his skill to win

K/D Rating: Highly Positive

Whew, that was a lot of words.

Anyways after a bit of consideration I came to the conclusion that most of the most common types of players are either unremarkable, have playstyles that clash with ideal teamplay or simply lack skill. With the Bro's, Veterans and Supports few and far between, mostly because they play in private groups. 

And now it is question time (yay discussion!)

1. Given the same information, what conclusions can you guys come to as to why public matches are so full of bad people?

2. Have I missed anything here, and are there any other types of player you can think of?

3. What sort of player are you? I know that most people will fit into more than one category here.

Update:

I've added in a number of new playertypes as well as a note to clarify some stuff.

Furthermore due to the sheer number of requests (none actually) I have added in a PvP section. unfortunately since I don't play too much PvP here I don't have much idea of the playertypes specific to that form of play, so I only have three for now. furthermore I'm still a bit iffy on the specific setup for it, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Until next time.

Yes this was inspired by that one thread that was on BSN that time

Edited by Sixty5

1. Because they were said, that they need to get Frost/Loki/Rhino to be good, so they go on these planets with unranked Excalibur, thanks to someone who taxi'd them.

2. Leecher, Door Hero, Explorer, Marker Guy, The Guy With Awfully Noisy Microphone, Russian Player

3. Underuser or Veteran, sometimes RHINO, depends.

Edited by Angius

1. Very rarely encountered these "bad" groups, so I cannot say.

2. No clue.

3. I don't fit any of them, really. I'd explain what kind of player I am, but it can get complicated.

I must just be blessed to get the teammates I do then, because there seems to be just about one undesirable in any game I play

fair enough

I'd say you'd most likely be a mix of a bunch of them.

A Door Hero

Description: Self-explanatory

Most Used Frame: Any high damage one

Teammate rating: -10/10

The Nuker

Description: This player has bound their 4th power to their left mouse button and is not afraid to show it. It doesn't matter whether they are up against a group of enemies or facing off against a single Grineer trooper, the solution is the same, nuke 'em.

Highly likely to be a door hero.

Most Used Frame: Anything with a high damage ultimate

Skill Level: Much, much lower than they think it is.

Teammate Rating: 2/10

1. I rarely encounter a really bad squad. But maybe because they have really bad habits on playing this game because of some bad design within the game itself.

2. Leechers? Only moves once in awhile. They're pretty rare tho.

3. I'm a combination of a bro, a lone wolf and a main man.

Edited by Scherhardt

The Nikola Tesla -Erebus

Description: After getting the mighty booben, theseplayers now only use Vortex and Bastille as their abilities while they hide up in high ground and fire at their enemies from above while others simply wait or just kill off 1 or 2 enemies that haven't gotten into the mighty pull of vortex. Sought out for nearly every defense mission in the game, they can be very useful however at times you feel like you aren't even needed at all.

Most used frame: Always a booben

Teammate Rating: 7/10

Booben : Booben is the unofficial name for Vaubaun the "engineer" warframe.

The Leech

Description: Players who either idle at the starting point of the mission or do nothing at all except move around while everyone else works their hardest to gain materials/bp/mastery. Hated by nearly everyone in the community.

Most used frame: Can be any

Skill Average: Lower than a Jamaican limbo contest

Teammate rating: -100

Nice one. I can't see "leecher" anywhere, though.

Ah leecher/afk.

I shall endeavor to add one

The Leecher/AFK

Description: Not strictly speaking a type of player, since you actually have to be playing the game in order to be considered one.

Spends their time in matches off making sandwiches or watching cartoons for 3 year olds.

Most Used Frame: Decoy

Skill Level: None

To answer:

1. I can't comment, because I don't do pugs

2. Read the ones I've mentioned above

3. I'm the Main Man. I've used ash so much (since day 1 of closed beta) that I know what makes him tick, but I suck when it comes to any other warframe. Well not suck, just that I don't preform as well.

< Has 700 hours of playtime, has yet to completely max out even one piece of gear (besides arguable the Synapse).

The Main Man and Lone Wolf would describe me best.

Formaing all this things isn't something everyone likes to do, besides you don't really need maxed out gear.

And cheers for your comment

To answer:

1. I can't comment, because I don't do pugs

2. Read the ones I've mentioned above

3. I'm the Main Man. I've used ash so much (since day 1 of closed beta) that I know what makes him tick, but I suck when it comes to any other warframe. Well not suck, just that I don't preform as well.

I was actually thinking about you when I wrote the main man class. I know how much you love Ash.

1. I'm encountering bad people at random matches fairly often, but it mostly depends on mission type. On straight forward missions like Exterminate, Capture, Sabotage or Deception I rarely even pay attention to the rest of the team because most people can handle them easily. As for stuff like survival or defense...

I don't care if you are lonewolf, if you're using some "unusual" weapons and frames for this gamemode etc. As long as you are of any use to the team and you can pull your weight - that's fine.

But if you are constantly going down (especially when using tanky frames), you're a door hero or you're simply trying to annoy me and the rest of the team - you're a bad player.

2. Troll

Description: Do I really need to explain this?

Most Used Frame: Loki, Vauban, Valkyr

Teammate rating: 0/10

3. Kind of difficult for me to say. It mostly depends on frame and gear I'm currently using, but I'm never nuking the whole map.

And I'm not the guy who's taking unranked frames into T3's and T4's

Anyway, I'm always trying to be useful.

1) I encounter mixed players with bad and good play styles. But I mostly encounter MR lower than mine and its on a high level survival.

2) The Natural

Description: Uses a beginner warframe and starter equipment but knows how to support you and carry the team even if it costs him a revive. Can stand his ground after an 1hr in Apollodorous with minimal casualties and is the fist person to revive you when you go down.

Mostly Use: Excalibro, Loki, Mag, Volt

Skill Level: 8/10

Teammate rating 8/10

3) I play mostly like a Bro and an Underuser. Almost all my frames use immortal builds and i love the feeling when all 3 rhinos are down in my team while my Nekros is still standing his ground while reviving them.

Nice post, +1 for you sir.

Edited by H.Katsura_999

Now that I've had time to think on it more, there needs to be an "Adaptable."

I can play every frame well, because I adapt easily. At first I might be bad, but after a single match (rarely two) I do great at it.

Tbh I think you might actually qualify as a Veteran.

Adaptable doesn't really fit in with the others here, it isn't something you can pick up on during a single pug game.

I will be honest i was a Rhino player, and im not ashamed, it made getting into the "end game" much faster, now im the Trinity player with 300 abilities used on average per mission, gotta spam that energy vampire to keep my *@##&#036;es on high energy.

1. I'm encountering bad people at random matches fairly often, but it mostly depends on mission type. On straight forward missions like Exterminate, Capture, Sabotage or Deception I rarely even pay attention to the rest of the team because most people can handle them easily. As for stuff like survival or defense...

I don't care if you are lonewolf, if you're using some "unusual" weapons and frames for this gamemode etc. As long as you are of any use to the team and you can pull your weight - that's fine.

But if you are constantly going down (especially when using tanky frames), you're a door hero or you're simply trying to annoy me and the rest of the team - you're a bad player.

2. Troll

Description: Do I really need to explain this?

Most Used Frame: Loki, Vauban, Valkyr

Teammate rating: 0/10

3. Kind of difficult for me to say. It mostly depends on frame and gear I'm currently using, but I'm never nuking the whole map.

And I'm not the guy who's taking unranked frames into T3's and T4's

Anyway, I'm always trying to be useful.

Troll is probably a good one to add in, I'll get to it now.

The Dev

Description: Extremely rare to see, but occasionally a person with a DE tag will join the game. The shock of seeing such a thing often proves too much for their fellow players causing them to play terribly, through no fault of their own.

Teammate Rating: 11/10, who cares if they make you play bad, they're a Dev, who wouldn't want to play with them?

11/10 would Dev again.

Anyways, great list.

Hahah, oh this is a good one.

Really catches a good ammount of the stereotypes.

1. I don't know if there is a conclusive end to arrive at by simply looking at this list, but the trend is that people don't care either about their teammates or about the mechanics of the game. And it ends up screwing everyone else over. Or they're just new and need to adjust, and the role models that they get fine tuned by learning from are at times pug's.

2. Angius added quite good ones here that I was thinking of, but let's not forget the Objective Neglectors/Rambo. On defensive missions they rush everywhere attempting to score all the kills while the pod just sits there taking damage, leading to multiple losses if there isn't anyone camping at the pod for them.

3. I know I'm guilty of being a underuser and a collector, and I suppose my +1000h playtime does brand me a veteran.

I also know I tend to be a rusher, but I try to migitate that by stopping in my tracks and letting atleast one teammate catch up when I do not see any moving map markers.

But place me on Kappa and I'll be the Nuker(+Underuser; because Saryn), I've failed far too many pug's due to teammates running off everywhere when I'm restocking on energy, especially on the last phase, so I just sit by the pod and wait it out with energy plates at the ready for the worst case scenario, while I nuke everything in sight, picking up the loot after it's all over.

I also try to be the Bro, but that's not really a title a person can give themselves now is it?