Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Puncture Mods Are Still Not Worth It

Vaskadar

At their starting level, they still cannot puncture the Grineer Riot Shield, and they are still not viable. Puncture mods need to have their current max value tripled in order for them to be worth anything for their prohibitive cost. 1.8 meters should be enough to get collateral kills on multiple enemies. As it stands right now, however, puncture is NOT worth the energy or the money invested in them. OR, they could be based on a multiplier.

15 mod energy max? For what? Puncturing one enemy? It should be able to punch through at least two.

First option that seems to be fairly popular is a flat value.

Rifles - 4.5 meters max

Pistols - 3.0 meters max

Shotguns - 1.5 meters max

Possible alternative (and balanced) fix I came up with below:

Puncture on a damage-based system. If the damage of a Snipetron is 115, multiplying it by the suggested formula would give it reasonable puncture. 115 x 0.030 = 3.45 meters. This would justify the prohibitive cost of the puncture mod.

Formula: damage x 0.030 = puncture rating (when maxed out)

Scaling of puncture mods: 0.005/0.010/0.015/0.020/0.025/0.030 or something along those lines as far as a multiplier goes.

That way, shotguns don't get the ridiculous puncture they had before, and sniper weapons and other high damage single-shot weapons get the puncture they need. The maximum puncture a HEK pellet could achieve (when equipped with max damage/max puncture) would be 1.083

This would be the best possible fix I can come up with. Critical damage should not modify the damage, however, as that would be disgustingly broken, but it really depends on what they think of it.

Edited by Vaskadar

Players who were here prior to update 7 claim the mod worked well before, could puncture objects as well as enemies. And now, well, only the unwise invest in it, perhaps harsh but true. Now it seems to only work on objects and at the value it currently is, it's not worth the credits or trouble. I would rather have a mod that simple allows to rip through multiple enemies,, shield lancers have their heads still vulnerable so I could care less about being able to shoot through their shield, and they tend to go down with strong melee attacks as well, rendering "Puncture" a mod to hog space and not do much for anyone, atm at least.

Puncture used to go up to about 10m, and at that depth was ridiculously overpowered, but even with the recent adjustment it is still only 0.6 (or maybe 0.65, I have a max mod and thus couldn't check). This is definitely not enough. Pre-u7 I had several puncture mods from 2-9m and I understand why we don't have high puncture, but 2m back then was not great, so if the cost is staying it should probably max at 3-4m. Right now the cost is so high you lose something serious, up to 2 damage sources to take it. Personally I'd like to see 2m at 10 energy cost so it only takes 1 damage mod away.

If it ever reaches the point where it can shoot through one enemy to hit another it would be worth it's current cost, but with out that it would need to be able to shoot through terrain and have it's cost reduced. Otherwise almost no one will ever use it. That's my 2 cents.

If it ever reaches the point where it can shoot through one enemy to hit another it would be worth it's current cost, but with out that it would need to be able to shoot through terrain and have it's cost reduced. Otherwise almost no one will ever use it. That's my 2 cents.

I am agree on a reduction of the cost in this case.

+1

I put a 0.3 puncture mod on my paris to hit the shield grineer and hey presto it doesn't do anything, the bolt still stops on the shield. Works sort of with other weapons and the shield grineer, but definitely not well enough to justify the cost.

I was thinking that the very concept of the puncture module was to make it pass through non map resources (people) and the value 0.1-1 would represent the amount of damage inflicted after each penetration with a -0.1 for each . So a 1.0 puncture mod would be able to pass through 9 targets but at a 10% reduction in damage per target. Or the module says it's max penetrated targets in the description e.g. 1.0 penetration capabilitiy of 5 targets

Good aim makes Puncture in its current form useless, depending on weapon equipped. 

Its only use is RIOT shields and enemies behind rails and stuff...most of which can be shot with aiming a bit better. (tip of head, or feet, of enemies behind RIOT shields, for example)