Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Status Chance Additions

Renegade343

Hello all, 

This thread will detail additions to the status chance mechanism so that there will be player control as to what status chance would be dealt, as well as considering for status chances > 100%. The content is below: 

Status chances are meant to give small bonuses against the enemy we are fighting (and vice versa for enemies), but sometimes, the status chance given may not be the one that the player wanted, since it is quite random, meaning players have no control over what status chance would roll. Also, the current status chance mechanism means any weapon with 100% status chance will inflict all of the weapon damage types' status effect onto an enemy, which feels rather boring and illogical at times. Thus, my proposal is below: 

In the Arsenal tab, players will see the stats of a weapon on the bottom right corner. My suggestion is that this corner can be pressed (weapons only), and will show a screen allowing the player to shift the order of the damage types listed around. The first damage type (i.e. the damage type that is at the top when the weapon's stats are shown) in the list will be the one that will deal its status effect to enemies (if status chance ≤ 100%). Here is an example: 

An equipped Grinlok shows the following damage type stats: 

90 Impact

50 Puncture

10 Slash

From this damage type list, that means only the Impact status effect will be inflicted on enemies (if status chance ≤ 100%), as it is the first in the list. If the player decides to press the stats and shift the list to: 

10 Slash

50 Puncture

90 Impact

Then only the Slash status effect will be inflicted on enemies (if status chance ≤ 100%), as it is now the first in the list. 

Now people may then ask: What about status chances > 100%?

My suggestion that if a weapon's status chance is > 100%, then the weapon will have a 100% of inflicting the damage type's status effect that is first on the list, with a current_weapon_status_chance - floor (current_weapon_status_chance) (to the nearest hundred) of inflicting the damage type's status effect that is second on the list. Here is an example, using the above weapon: 

90 Impact

50 Puncture

10 Slash

If the Grinlok has a 150% status chance, meaning it will have a 100% chance of inflicting an Impact status effect and 150% - 100% = 50% of inflicting a Puncture status effect alongside the Impact status effect. 

This can still be applied to weapons with a status chance over 200%, 300%, 400% etc. with the same example shown above, meaning the dual stat elemental and status mods will not go to waste. 

Equipping any multishot mods will result dividing the status chance by the number of bullets fired, then calculate from there (e.g.: A Grinlok with 150% status chance shoots two bullets, meaning each bullet has a 75% status chance). 

This mechanism could also be applied to enemies. If these changes were to be implemented, then the status effects will be changed as thus (WIP): 

- Slash status effect deals 37.5% of the weapon's Slash Damage.

- Toxic status effect deals 25% of the weapon's Toxic Damage.

- Fire status effect deals 50% of the weapon's Fire Damage.

With this change, I hope to make status effects more player-dictated, giving this mechanism more tactical depth in terms of choosing what status effect to deal in order to add some more variety to battles, and to make the status chance mods useful even when the weapon's status chance is over 100%.

Please take the time to read this thread, and provide any constructive criticism and feedback for improvement. 

Renegade343

Edited by Renegade343

I prefer the current system over the proposed one, as the current system allows for weapons to have more than two total status effects. Also using your proposed system, around 98% (just guesstimating with the number, but I mean the VAST majority) of all weapons will only ever apply one type of status effect, due to low quality mods and low base status chances. I'd rather have my Tysis apply Viral, Radiation AND Corrosive than just two of those.

Not to mention, Weapons with >100% status chance don't apply all status effects last time I checked. Very often I shoot someone with my Tysis and only 2 of 3 statuses are applied.

TL;DR: I'd rather have a larger selection of randomly chosen statuses than one status that I get to choose.

Edited by fishworshipper

I suggested an idea very much like this very early this year... I am in total agreement with the OP.

while we are on the topic of status. I wish the base damage mods (slash, impact, puncture.) increased the status effects. More bleed damage, longer stun, less damage done. it would make those mods more worth wild then they currently are.