Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Everyone But The Mac? A Tenno Left Out?

Monybags33

First PC, then PS4, and finally the Xbox One coming very soon now. So while all these expansions are great I have only one question, will their ever be Tenno on the Mac? The Mac has been around for a great deal of time now far longer then the Xbox One and PS4 to date but has yet to even been considered too allow Warframe too run on it as far as I can see. Now I have not looked up many topics on Warframe jumping too Mac systems but If Warframe did jump too the Mac I would find this the final step in Warframe being on every system out their (Besides Mobile Devices).

I think it would really be a great idea because their are many people I know out their that have Mac systems (Myself Included) and wished we could play on our Macs rather then our Pc's any day. Do not get me wrong PC Tenno I enjoy my Pc but it just so happens because of my lifestyle the I have put more money into my Mac then I have my Pc and it just feels wrong Warframe has ignored this small number of people who own Mac's too be able too play as well. It would be a great thing too allow this small percentage of Mac uses too play with Pc users as well but maybe that's a bit too much to ask for or maybe too complicated?

So do you Tenno agree that Warframe should go (or at least consider) going into the Mac and not just leave it out of the big picture that is Warframe? I hope that by posting this topic i can also get the Warframe Developers possibly too think about it themselves, that's if people agree with what I'm saying. This way no Tenno can be left out in the cold just because of the one system Warframe dose not run on.

Update: Glad that I actually got some answers on why Macs were taken out of the picture and not just a bunch of "Macs are just not meant for gaming" same old same old. I understood that Macs were never meant for gaming but the point of this topic was to know why if at all it was considered. Thanks for clarifying that up.

Edited by Monybags33

I use to feel like this when I had a mac, but now that I have a PC I always come to the conclusion that macs are really overpriced computers that do 10x less things than a PC. Plus they aren't even close to powerful enough. The mac I use to have could barely run flash games.

All the above Mac jokes aside, as has been said Macs simply were not designed for gaming, rather for media processing uses primarily. Don't get me wrong I'm all for support to open the game up to more people if it's not too difficult and time consuming but it's less likely.

Install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp or whatever their OS multiloader is called, and then you can play Warframe. (Maybe.)

And the OP actually made his point as to why Mac has been ignored, especially from the business point-of-view... You go for biggest return on investment... Time/man-hours/money...and so, to take a chunk of people that could be working on new content and bug fixes for the majority of users, they'd have to either hire new people or devote man-hours of their currently employees to work on something that would benefit a "small number of people," "small percentage of Mac uses," etc. It doesn't make sense. PC, Xbox, PS are large parts of the market share in potential players...so it makes sense to focus there.

Perhaps they can do the standard thing that companies do to Mac users...bump the cost up more than other users of other platforms. Like charge $50 for the installer, $5 per full download of the files... 100-200% upcharge on platinum in the store for Mac users...major updates cost $10... Then if it looks like there is enough demand, hire some people to work on the Mac side of things. :)

Edited by CedarDpg

I believe it was considered, and the end result was that the Mac wasn't as powerful as they'd need, correct me if I'm wrong.

Not really. Macs can be plenty powerful. The issue is that to get Warframe working on the mac it would need to be radically reworked since Macs don't use DirectX. It's the same reason why Warframe isn't on Linux either.

Mac users will have to use bootcamp to boot up windows in order to play Warframe.

The problem is that Warframe does not use OpenGL.

On the PC It uses Direct X

On the XBox One it'll use the Direct X subset available.

On PS4 I'll either use GNMX or GNM (I'm guessing GNMX)

Also the PS4 has a lot of middlewear to assist in converting D3D codebases whereas there is very little help available for making an OpenGL version of an existing D3D game (Though Valve do have some interesting work in that area).

tl;dr:

Maybe but it's a _lot_ more work than the consoles for a much smaller user base, so it doesn't look likely.

Edited by SilentMobius

Not really. Macs can be plenty powerful. The issue is that to get Warframe working on the mac it would need to be radically reworked since Macs don't use DirectX. It's the same reason why Warframe isn't on Linux either.

Mac users will have to use bootcamp to boot up windows in order to play Warframe.

I guess I was semi-right. Thanks for clarifying.

It's all boiled down to what the games are built upon; DirectX. Until there are ways to fully import DirectX to MacOS natively, there wouldn't be any Mac version. It's way too risky to convert WF to OpenGL without impending the whole game development progression, because it involves its fundamental basic API. It could be considered as creating a whole new game just to convert a DirectX game into OpenGL.

PC means Personal Computer. A Mac can be a PC too :/

AFAIK  PC=/=Windows

Exactly. Macs can run Windows with Boot Camp, etc. Just as PCs can run Mac OS with a little tweaking to get around Apple's "we won't let you install OS on PCs because we want to rip people off by charging them way more for the same hardware because they're gullible" safeguards.

A friend bought an extra copy of OS X accidentally and couldn't return it for some reason. So he ended up giving it to me. From there, I ran Snow Leopard on one of my PCs for a little while and hated it. Never load it anymore since I don't think there's any particular Mac-only applications out there that I ever use.

Edited by CedarDpg

Sorry, but I can run Metro last light on my Mac air pretty damn fine. I think it can run WF, just needs a lot of optimization (which DE won't do as of right now, too much on their plate already)

Dude metro last light runs just fine on old generation consoles, thats equivalent to at least 9 year old pc.

Edited by Davoodoo