Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Give Enemies Faction Based Melee Weapons / Enemy Melee 2.0

Lukap99

With the exception of the Infested, most of Warframe's enemies are primarily firearm based.

In today's military it's common to find soldiers carrying a knife, usually for some sort of utility, but also when the enemy is too close to point your gun at.

This is why I think DE should give both Corpus and Grineer specialized melee weapons along with their main firearm. A great example of this is Vor, with his Seer, Cronus and Janus key.

So let's say you're running up to a Elite lancer while blocking the bullets from his karak, his clip runs out, you're three meters away from him, and in an act of desperation he brings up his machete to block your nikana. And it works.

Now, you have to attack the lancer until you either break his guard or wait for him to go on the offensive for you to counterattack.

Pretty neat, eh? This makes the melee combat against the enemies more engaging and fun.

But what about melee only enemies?

Well, for starters, let's give them a light pistol, which they fire at you while running from cover to cover. When they decide to charge you, whip out their machete/plasma sword and block your bullets (regardless of how fast you fire), forcing you into a melee fight.

They have a better guard. But unlike regular enemies, they are skilled in hand to hand combat, so they can parry one of your hits causing you to recoil, but still have full control, and launch a counter combo.

At this point you can either block at the right time to use a counterattack, or dodge.

This would also make the pixie sticks radial disarm gives enemies disappear.
Since radial disarm only jams guns, melee weapons are unaffected, making the game more immersive.

Which enemies should get which weapons?

It's always possible to design a new enemy specifically for melee combat, but let's keep it to what already exists for now.

* means edited from original list

Corpus
Crewmen: Prova

Crewmen (Jupiter/Europa): Lecta

Crewmen (Invasion[red]): Serro

Sniper Crewmen: Obex

Elite crewmen: Prova*
Techs: Plasma Sword

Grineer

Lancers/Troopers: Combat knife*
Shield Lancer: (Maintain shield) Machete
Elite Lancer: Machete*
Eviscerator/Helion: Scindo (Manticore skin)
Seeker/Ballista: Amphis
Scorch: Fragor (Brokk skin)
Bombard/Napalm/Gunner/Commander: Jat Kittag

List courtesy of "DJ_Redwire"
You rock, man. Or should I say wub?
Sorry.

TL;DR
Enemy melee 2.0
Edited by Lukap99

Strongly disagree with a lot of your specific suggestions, but it's not worth nitpicking. They've been busting out prods for far too long. Prod crewman can keep the prods. Everyone else should pull out something that makes sense.

Eh, if anything I at least hope to remedy the radial disarm magical pixie sticks issue.

It would certainly be better than trying to melee a Napalm to death while he fires incendiary explosives at you at point blank range and shrugs it off like it's nothing. Having more than two enemies (Infested notwithstanding) use melee might actually make the more in depth mechanics of Melee 2.0 like parrying and channeling seem more worthwhile.

Though I don't think Butchers and other melee enemies need sidearms, just make them a bit more adept at blocking attacks, and possibly even slight resistance to ranged attacks.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

Strongly disagree with a lot of your specific suggestions, but it's not worth nitpicking. They've been busting out prods for far too long. Prod crewman can keep the prods. Everyone else should pull out something that makes sense.

Could you perhaps elaborate on what you disagree with? I want to improve the OP.

Though I don't think Butchers and other melee enemies need sidearms, just make them a bit more adept at blocking attacks, and possibly even slight resistance to ranged attacks.

Either could work, honestly. The sidearms I suggested may not do much damage at all, but they could fire it while running from cover to cover, they'll still be mostly melee focused when attacking you.

EDITED: Changed OP about sidearms.

Edited by Lukap99

I like these ideas. With Radial Disarm in existence, it makes sense that all enemies should have a standard issue melee weapon.

I don't like melee enemies blocking anything and everything. I think there should be alternatives and ways around everything.

Guardsmen pretty much do all that already, but in a relatively polite way.

I do think that Sawmen, Powerfists, and Prod Crewmen need some spice that's not "sneak up behind you and do tons of damage". I think Scorpions and Shield Lancers do it right.

"Oh you disarmed me? I'll expecto patronum your face with mah magic wand!"

I disagree with Lancers getting dual cleavers. That should stay a Butcher thing. Give them a new combat knife instead.

Also, Wraith and Vandal stuff aren't made by that faction, they're third party modifications.

To be fair, I didn't make the list. Would be happy to edit it though.

TBH though I'd rather not rush this... The Hind weapon looks like it was rushed out and now we have to look at it all day. I'd rather they filled out the melee selection slowly and reasonably and equip the mobs individually over time.

Could you perhaps elaborate on what you disagree with? I want to improve the OP.

As stated above, wraith/vandal are out unless we're talking special characters IMO.

Most of what we fight are basic troops that spend all day with their gear. I would expect to see mostly combat knives on basics. Improvised small tools on crewman. Less numerous elite or special purpose troops might have something more, like a shortsword or a one handed axe but still something reasonable to carry all day.

Folding sword/shield combos and wrist mounts on expanding seem a bit extreme for normal troops, none of that stuff IMHO.

Knuckle and fist weapons seem to imply a lot of skill, maybe just one on the right hand for throwing haymakers?

Maybe Eximus could roll out with something big and mean related to faction+element combos. That'd narrow our number of needed weapons a lot, and make it easier to make sense of it.

I don't like the idea of shield lancers keeping their shields after being disarmed because, really, F*** shield lancers. >:/

Edited by VKhaun

I agree for the most part, but I'd make two differences.

1. I'd make the non-melee enemies unable to do advanced combat maneuvers like blocking. So in your example that Grineer would probably die, but he might be able to deliver a quick, powerful strike before he does.

2. I'd make our current melee enemies able to perform advanced maneuvers like blocking and countering, and maybe make them faster.

I agree for the most part, but I'd make two differences.

1. I'd make the non-melee enemies unable to do advanced combat maneuvers like blocking. So in your example that Grineer would probably die, but he might be able to deliver a quick, powerful strike before he does.

2. I'd make our current melee enemies able to perform advanced maneuvers like blocking and countering, and maybe make them faster.

Noted, thanks for opinion.

In my head, the actual grineer guard is very poor, maybe like 1 hit to break.

TBH though I'd rather not rush this... The Hind weapon looks like it was rushed out and now we have to look at it all day. I'd rather they filled out the melee selection slowly and reasonably and equip the mobs individually over time.

As stated above, wraith/vandal are out unless we're talking special characters IMO.

Most of what we fight are basic troops that spend all day with their gear. I would expect to see mostly combat knives on basics. Improvised small tools on crewman. Less numerous elite or special purpose troops might have something more, like a shortsword or a one handed axe but still something reasonable to carry all day.

Folding sword/shield combos and wrist mounts on expanding seem a bit extreme for normal troops, none of that stuff IMHO.

Knuckle and fist weapons seem to imply a lot of skill, maybe just one on the right hand for throwing haymakers?

Maybe Eximus could roll out with something big and mean related to faction+element combos. That'd narrow our number of needed weapons a lot, and make it easier to make sense of it.

I don't like the idea of shield lancers keeping their shields after being disarmed because, really, F*** shield lancers. >:/

Will update OP with info given, thanks mate.