Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Skins Contest

[DE]Rebecca

Here is my attempt at giving people an idea what to do for this contest

sorry for the crappy mic and the fact that im not 1000% on all this

GL people, you have a week so get cracking

You commented that you googled a lot of the information, why don't you post a series of links you found useful? If they worked for you they might help others.

only reason i have any idea what im doing is because of google. I have literally never once rendered a model, normal, specular, etc. map in my life till a few days ago. I had to google what i was working with every step of the way to find out how to edit a normal, wtf a specular map is, etc. 

75% of what im doing is guess work and google so no, i dont know what im doing. The rest is just the fact that i use photoshop for digital art and photo manipulation so i know how to use it.

and like i said you know what to do

like 90% of the warframe community probably have no idea how to photoshop and stuff

like 90% of the warframe community probably have no idea how to photoshop and stuff

Perhaps this contest is not targeted at that 90% then. Yes, it could create a divide in the community, but even so, there are those of us who have some experience, and those of us who don’t. Those who do will have an advantage over those of us who need to google things. I don’t have any experience, so I won’t participate, but I could google it all and figure it out if I wanted to.

By the way, Photoshop isn’t that tricky.

TBH, they have a pretty wide variety of contests and challenges for players with different skill sets to work with, and they've been broadening that base as of late, so... I'm not sure there's any room to complain here.

That aside, I might try this since I have some artistic/photoshop skills, I've just never done something like this. I probably need an idea for what I might do, but I think I'll try for a weapon other than the Akmagnus. The crushing skin is just too cool to compete with.

I'm confused at what the exact complaint is here?

Im guessing is this

To win the contest you must be able to send us a Photoshop document at the end of the contest (.psd) containing a:

• Diffuse map
  • Specular map
  • Gloss map
  • Tint masks (1 for each channel colour channel that you want the player to control).

Im guessing he is saying that all these folks that just picked up all this stuff from reading online wont have the proper requirements for winning the contest so even if they get first place they will be disqualified because they wont be able to provide the proper files. From the looks of it DE wants the entries to have certain level of work done and if you dont prove this then there's no point in entering cause you are going to be kicked out. 

Basically, do any of these folks that just picked this stuff up know how to make a tint mask or a specular map?

Edited by Mak_Gohae

-snip-

Basically, do any of these folks that just picked this stuff up know how to make a tint mask or a specular map?

Yeah you can learn in like <15 mins. Using google and scrolling through the example PSD.

I think it's less time to learn the basics of what's going on here.

More time actually cracking on with the design.

Getting a hang of that 2D to 3D mindset is also a challenge.

Yeah you can learn in like <15 mins. Using google and scrolling through the example PSD.

But is is FAR more fun to complain.

That said. THESE ARE AWESOME!

Dual Zoren, Vectis... OMG AKMAGNUS!

The Crushing Skin... The Silver Skin... The Dragon Skin...

Nikis wants ALL of them. DO NOT disappoint the gunfighter. It will hurt.

Im guessing is this

To win the contest you must be able to send us a Photoshop document at the end of the contest (.psd) containing a:

• Diffuse map
  • Specular map
  • Gloss map
  • Tint masks (1 for each channel colour channel that you want the player to control).

Im guessing he is saying that all these folks that just picked up all this stuff from reading online wont have the proper requirements for winning the contest so even if they get first place they will be disqualified because they wont be able to provide the proper files. From the looks of it DE wants the entries to have certain level of work done and if you dont prove this then there's no point in entering cause you are going to be kicked out. 

I think the term really scare people. But the truth is far simpler than it seems. The game engine will do most of the job calculating everything, diffuse, specular, gloss are really just files naming. 

To create a custom skin, all you have to do is just coloring the diffuse. You can do this by something as simple as using any image without even editing it (results may vary, but it really is that simple). You can leave all other maps as they are or even just resubmit the original files. Tint masks have already included in the psd, it was actually there to separate the custom coloring done in the game. And again, you can simply leave them as they are.

Rendering is even more simpler, you still need to follow the tutorial as different 3D programs have different UI/method. But the steps can be generalized with, open model, apply map, and hit render button.

So i finished my first skin for the (ak)magnus. The skin is completely tintable.

I still have to complete the psd for submission but have a first look at the renders!

warframe_skin_contest_entry___crushing_m

I will submit further contest entries here via editing.

Hope you like my stuff!

I only have a single word to describe this. Orgasmic

Hi everyone. Have a problem with Blender - I can't add new texture (wanna add Emissive map).

All normal people have this: 

300px-25-Manual-Textures-top-panel.png

And i have this: 

1A43bM9o1P.jpg

Really need help with that. 

emissive is specific to Evolution i think? its what the energy color is and earlier in the thread someone said how they tested their emissive layer. Blender wont have an option for the emisive layer.

90% of the contests that DE has hosted have been "post an unedited screenshot of whatever" which everyone could participate in with equal skill. Sometimes DE wants to switch things up, they also want to get more user generated content into the game and this is how you go about doing that.

emissive is specific to Evolution i think? its what the energy color is and earlier in the thread someone said how they tested their emissive layer. Blender wont have an option for the emisive layer.

I have an instruction how to add glowing effect, BUT i can't add ANY new texture, there are no button i need.

Sorry for Google translate and bad grammar. 

In 15 minutes you can learn all of this correctly?

The internet is great.

I think the term really scare people. But the truth is far simpler than it seems. The game engine will do most of the job calculating everything, diffuse, specular, gloss are really just files naming. 

To create a custom skin, all you have to do is just coloring the diffuse. You can do this by something as simple as using any image without even editing it (results may vary, but it really is that simple). You can leave all other maps as they are or even just resubmit the original files. Tint masks have already included in the psd, it was actually there to separate the custom coloring done in the game. And again, you can simply leave them as they are.

Rendering is even more simpler, you still need to follow the tutorial as different 3D programs have different UI/method. But the steps can be generalized with, open model, apply map, and hit render button.

I havent look into the files given but if they provide everything and all you need to do is change the name then i guess that's easy.

But i dont think using those same original files will work on all the designs.

I havent look into the files given but if they provide everything and all you need to do is change the name then i guess that's easy.

But i dont think using those same original files will work on all the designs.

its all named already, just paint it thats it....thats all you need to do is open it and color it like a coloring book

you dont even have to edit the normal maps if you dont want to, or the specular, just paint the diffuse map

Edited by Echoa

In 15 minutes you can learn all of this correctly?

The internet is great.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic.

But to any that have doubts.. here is my reasoning.

I can genuinely tell you the different maps in 15 mins and how to draw basic in blender. 

All you would have to do then, is work super hard on a diffuse map... BUT! 

Most people lose their head when doing the diffuse map, forgetting to take into account how it's affected by specular and normal maps.

Mapping after learning the info is a learning experience in itself. There are many tools out there to improve efficiency/style/quality.

Behind every design you see here... you will see some degree of planning.

It's important here, to learn as you go. Keep cycling back to the beginning and perform another pass at your map.

It's probably the most exciting contest in a while.

The learning process involved in this contest, is something to treasure, give it a shot!

For the Stalwart Tenno who will never let hope die, a weapon forged from the remains of a once forgotten relic. Wield the power of Pandora's Box and heed the ancient wisdom etched into the Barrel. 

"viam inveniam aut faciam" - i shall find a way or make one

PS- Colors will be customizable

Submission.png

Edited by Echoa

its all named already, just paint it thats it....thats all you need to do is open it and color it like a coloring book

you dont even have to edit the normal maps if you dont want to, or the specular, just paint the diffuse map

If all you change is one of those things it's strange that they require all the ones they are asking for.

They should just stated that they are available for the people that want to change them.

If this is really what can be done.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic.

But to any that have doubts.. here is my reasoning.

I can genuinely tell you the different maps in 15 mins and how to draw basic in blender. 

All you would have to do then, is work super hard on a diffuse map... BUT! 

Most people lose their head when doing the diffuse map, forgetting to take into account how it's affected by specular and normal maps.

Mapping after learning the info is a learning experience in itself. There are many tools out there to improve efficiency/style/quality.

Behind every design you see here... you will see some degree of planning.

It's important here, to learn as you go. Keep cycling back to the beginning and perform another pass at your map.

It's probably the most exciting contest in a while.

The learning process involved in this contest, is something to treasure, give it a shot!

That doesn't loo like less that 15.

They did give us two weeks but not everyone is on a schedule that could pop out something in that time.

First off, I can't believe DE really wants us to go through the trouble of making a diffuse mask and all that crap. We're not game developers, we have no training in those expertise. Also all the submissions I've seen thus far don't include what they're looking for, so I'm suspecting that people don't understand how they'd go about making all of those masks. The last thing I'd like to note is that I'm never wasting my money on another plain old boring skin. I want something ANIMATED. Gears of War 3 had an ENTIRE arsenal of animated camos and I firmly believe we deserve the same. I am terribly sorry if this message comes off as obnoxious, but I cannot provide what they want, I do not know how, nor do I have the time, therefore what I've done is simple and easy to do. They created a Rubbedo skin for the Rhino that was animated and this is basically the same concept. So without any further delay I present to you my submission. Take it or leave it.

AkMagnus

igTY1nA.gif

Dual Zoren

eUkdSj1.gif

Vectis

hILypcd.gif

Leave it ._.

Leave it ._.

lol'd

Anyways, my two cents regarding the post AidenLives made, I would just ignore it. I didn't know a darn thing about this stuff and I got all three of my entries in. It's just like others have said, Google is your friend, take your time to learn, and just push through.

I can't tell if that person was even serious to begin with.

Edited by blazingcobalt

The idea itself is good, its like the out of phase items from previous Winter Sale on Steam. Items were crappy, people dont run with them, so we dont see them ingame much. But they look awesome.

I dont have time to tincker with this, sadly =(