Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reload Mechanics Revamp

Vaze

Have you ever had to abort a reload which was 90% finished? Why does it have to start all over again? I am no weapons expert but I think an empty magazine cannot teleport back into the gun by itself after being removed and laying on the ground.

A reload process consists of 2-3 major stages:

1. eject the empty magazine

2. insert the new magazine

3. load the chamber *

* if there are no more rounds in the chamber

My suggestion: the reload process should be broken down into multiple stages based on the current weapon used. If a magazine is taken out and the next stage (insert) is canceled, the reload animation will continue from the previous completed stage. So the reload will proceed by inserting the new magazine. If the weapon still has a round in it, the third stage is skipped. If not, the chamber will be loaded by a third stage. Just like in real life. It may be a mini-game just to leave one bullet in the chamber for a faster reload. Though minuscule in some cases. Different weapons will have different number of stages and their length. Bows only one, energy weapons always two...

As for the logic behind magazines disappearing from Tenno hands when aborting a reload: there is no logic to that, but it's the same as picking up stuff by walking over them. And if this is somehow proven logical, then why do we have to reload at all? Ammo should just teleport into the gun. But that's silly. This is just to speed up things. Restarting the whole reload sequence is a different thing. Unreal. Has no explanation.

The circle that shows the reload progress could stay partially filled after a certain stage has been completed. And marked for convenience, of course. After a whole reload finished, it would disappear as always.

This improvement might be something completely new in gaming as nobody else is using it, but that doesn't mean it is bad. Might take a bit more time to code than the common reload mechanism, but only a really lazy person wouldn't do it. The gains are far more valuable. You could even write it among the game's features. Something truly unique.

If you'd like to have this idea implemented, just post something in this topic to have it bumped and marked "hot", so the devs will notice.

Sounds like there are weapons missing the ReloadComplete event...this event usually occurs after the magazine has been inserted, without this event the entire reload animation would need to complete before the ammo counter registers it.

Most newer weapons are missing it. 

Sounds like there are weapons missing the ReloadComplete event...this event usually occurs after the magazine has been inserted, without this event the entire reload animation would need to complete before the ammo counter registers it.

It would be greatly appreciated if the timing of the ReloadComplete event was shifted to make each weapon easier (or more challenging) to use, as appropriate.  It would also be great if weapons would start auto-reloading immediately after the clip empties instead of after a short delay (not sure if that's an engine limitation.)  

Thanks for reading!

There is only one weapon in Warframe I can actively "reload cancel", to borrow a ME3 term (which means that at some point before the actual reload animation is complete, actions that would normally cancel the reload and force it to start over instead finish the reload sooner than intended).

And, to be honestly, reload cancelling is rather silly. It has always felt to me as a means of exploiting a glitch in ME3 (despite the devs at Bioware stating they saw this as "tactical", not "exploitative"). What the OP is suggesting actually makes a lot of sense, and would add a strong sense of fluidity to combat, and less frustration over having to restart a reload five or six times because you had to dodge or melee.

I like this idea.
Staged reloads would be interesting and could even be made a tactical adjustment to differentiate weapons.  
The Supra's minor damage increase is negligible compared to the Gorgon's hitscan nature, so what if Supra reloaded in three stages in the same time frame the Gorgon needs reloads in two, making it easier for a Supra to reload cancel. 

I'd support this, but I'd also point out that we could make it much simpler and simply pause the reload instead of resetting it when you roll/fall/whatever, and just pick up right where you left when you're able to. It might not look perfect, but to be honest, Warframe is such a visually noisy game that you'd barely notice.

Agreed, that would be magnificent to have. also, it would be great to have custom magazine models for every single weapon that doesn't have one and seems to be just tapped rather than reloaded, like the Braton and the Latron.

Not even tapped.. You removing and replacing an invisible/stationary magazine, and then pulling a pretend bolt back to load the chamber.

Needless to say it makes it look a bit silly. Wish the old weapon would get some love (lookin at you too, Heat series. Elemental effects still engulf more of the handle/hilt than the actual part of the sword used to cut things)

Edited by AXCrusnik