Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How About An Auction House?

Nelkeel

I wouldn't mind it, as long as the trade chat is still a thing. It would be nice to have a kind of thing where you could list it and forget about it until you get the plat. My issue is whether or not the prices are going to be stable, because there is no real sell price for items. Maybe use credits for the AH, but keep plat for the meet up in person trading?

I think they said on the Livesteam that they might be planning an extended trade system to the Hubs or something... but I don't know if it will be fully compareable to an auction house.

At least it wouldn't be too bad to have a spot to dump a limited amount of stuff for a limited amount of time... and that DE considers a lower limit of what you can set as price for each item depending on the rarity of an item. That way personalized trading via spaming the trade channel might still remain a little more efficient in some edge cases if someone is willing to invest some more time or to go below what is the minimum @ hubs just to get rid of stuff. At least it would prevent or contain the ridiculous inflation that would happen if everyone dumps his stuff there.

Edited by MeduSalem

Auction houses are a bad mojo in game such as Warframe, simply because it will make the game economic go bananas.

However, if we're talking about a marketplace sort of area for example in the hubs, where people can put their items for a fixed amount of plat or other item with equal value, then theoretically we'll have trade chat inside those hubs without all the spamming. I am referring to personal kiosks.

I don't make a fortune from trades rarely use trade channel myself, played various other games to see just how bad a player driven auction house can be.

Look at Diablo 3's auction house as an example, it was shut down due to price gouging and ripping of players that did use the real money side of it. Nexon's Vindictus.....wait nvm any of Nexon's games all have an insanely overpriced player driven markets. Tera's is getting pretty bad but it has some control over it. Only way this would even remotely work is if DE kept constant tabs and enforce strict rules and regulations on it and I don't think they have the time or manpower to do that.

I'm not saying an auction house specificaly.. Just a system where as said:

At least it wouldn't be too bad to have a spot to dump a limited amount of stuff for a limited amount of time... and that DE considers a lower limit of what you can set as price for each item depending on the rarity of an item. That way personalized trading via spaming the trade channel might still remain a little more efficient in some edge cases if someone is willing to invest some more time or to go below what is the minimum @ hubs just to get rid of stuff. At least it would prevent or contain the ridiculous inflation that would happen if everyone dumps his stuff there.

Look at Diablo 3's auction house as an example, it was shut down due to price gouging and ripping of players that did use the real money side of it.

Had eventually to pop up I guess. Diablo 3's auction house suffered from another problem and that's the underlying loot system (too random stats and whatnot) that made (and with RoS the problem still remains even without AH) progression after a certain point impossible without using the Auction House. So eventually everyone had to take a look at it and dropped his useless crap there while trying to get something better. Of course some smart bastards knew that and started to buy underpriced stuff (of people who didn't know the real value of the item) low and resell it at outrageous prices creating a vast gap between mediocre items and items that were nearly prohibitively expensive eventually ruining the entire economy because people spent more time on the AH than grinding.

That said Blizzard didn't make much efforts to keep its playerbase alive with new content/events and therefore every week less people log into Diablo 3 to play it which made it easier for those power traders/trade bots to remain their superiority.

Warframe at least still attracts new players and DE pushes out new content which eventually "remains" a market for everything but the most common stuff like Ammo Drum and whatnot which drops several times even within the same mission. It's those changes and additions that keep a market alive because eventually even the trade channel spaming would end because of oversaturation if those changes/additions weren't made. ^^

Edited by MeduSalem

Well there is http://wftrading.net/ Now i know the prices aren't right for everything but we could make an effort for the right prices to be posted there. And when you'll go to "auction house" there will be a message somewhere that will say something like: "For the right prices consult http://wftrading.net/ " or something like that

since when did that website started to show the right prices at all?

I visited this website 20 times to check the prices 20/20 were false.

In-game checking is the best way to see how the prices go.

since when did that website started to show the right prices at all?

I visited this website 20 times to check the prices 20/20 were false.

In-game checking is the best way to see how the prices go.

I guess that's regionally biased. It's probably heavily depending on where you live and therefore at which times you are online.

At least I nearly always found someone that was offering the average price stated on the website. That said I also encountered some people who where like "no way" and dropped out of the haggling but then I mostly found still someone else who was accepting the prices. Some of them even went below the lower prices... probably not knowing the value or being generous.

That way I only have 3 mods left to get (without counting leaked stuff that's unobtainable now, like EMP Aura or something like Primed Chamber): Namely Malicous Raptor, Eleventh Storm and Loot Detector (Malicious Raptor being too new so I won't bother looking for it on the trade channel now; Eleventh Storm I will probably get myself if I can get my butt to grind for it, Loot Detector is just a case of luck to be able to get in front of your computer in time). Got everything else after some months of grinding or waiting for better times/prices on the trade channel if I couldn't stand the grind anymore.

Edited by MeduSalem

Well there is http://wftrading.net/ Now i know the prices aren't right for everything but we could make an effort for the right prices to be posted there. And when you'll go to "auction house" there will be a message somewhere that will say something like: "For the right prices consult http://wftrading.net/ " or something like that

I hate that website.  The prices are wrong 90% of the time.

Yes. Yes.  A thousand times, yes!

Chat-based trade is bad enough on PC, it's worse without a keyboard.  Some manner of listing system for trades is very much needed.  It seems easy enough to integrate something like the current mastery system with such a thing too.  

Limit the number of listings you can make by Mastery Rank (1 every 2, 3, 4 ranks, whatever...), and make the number of transactions you make limited by the same number of trades as you get from mastery.  Both of these serve DE long-term, as it means players need to be acquiring weapons and leveling to make active use of the market (which feeds back into buying slots, etc.).  Let players access it either from existing trade kiosks or a similar structure in a dojo.  OR, put a kiosk that allows such transactions in the new HUBS you're putting in-game.  You can keep transactions plat-based, but impose a credit fee for listing, or whatever.

There's lots of possibilities.  Basically, any trade system that doesn't involve staring numbly at scrolling text for hours on end would be preferable.

There's no need to call it an auction house... just call it a player market.  List X mod/part for X plat.  Give people an interface to search/sort the listings.  They've had this sort of thing in games a long time.  I recall it in Everquest 1 and 2.  There's no "auction" necessarily involved unless we're putting Ebay mechanics into this, which seems complicated and unwieldy.

Full disclosure. Im a trader, I would say Im a popular trader because I keep competitive prices, a large inventory, Im open to trades, and Im almost always willing to haggle. This leads me to a lot of repeat customers. Ive made enough plat in game to afford a slot for every current warframe, a half dozen weapon slots, a few cosmetics (1 color set, the Uru and pyra syndana, Valkyr bonds), and two additional kubrow slots so I can have 1 of all breeds (and yet I still cant manage to get a sunika).  Thats it. Im actually at the point where I could easily get a lot more plat but I look through the market and fail to find anything I want to buy. All the plat I get is put toward improving my account and in the process I get to help others find those rare mods/parts/warframes. I dont resell plat and I have only once bought something with plat that I used myself (a seeking force mod). I actually have some fun haggling with people too.

In my opinion an auction house would be a bad idea for warframe. Auction houses, as theyre known in games like WoW, are absolutes. There is no room for haggling. There is no room for bartering (trading 1 mod/part for another). There is only the money. I think this would work for some people but certainly not all and it would remove the human element from making a deal. People wouldnt come to traders anymore wanting to make a deal, they would just go right to the auction house and buy the lowest item there. Not even thinking they might be able to trade something for that same item or work someone down even further on the price.

That said, I also think its a very bad idea because it will encourage botters. While an FPS game is much different then your standard MMORPG its still possible for people to create a script to have a bot run missions as they collect everything. That will become an epidemic forcing DE to put time, money, and personel toward dealing with an issue that we just dont have right now. Then it will escalate as region, trade, recruiting, and whispers will be flooded with "plat offers" from crooked sites. The final bit of escalation will be when these botters start stealing accounts to sell off your mods and take your plat.

I didn't say remove the current chat system or implement an auction house. The auction house was an example of a system to implement in warframe for better buying/selling/trading. Also there was a suggestion to limit the use of the "auction house" with mastery rank as the trades per day are limited now so you can't buy everything in a day