Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Cache Hate?

Llyssa

Something I'm trying to figure out: Cache hate.

I like going after the caches. It's a great addition to the game, I want to see more of them.

However, I've had multiple people in multiple groups, and on several chat channels express that "Caches aren't worth it".

Now, I'm a little confused: You literally press 1 button, and you(and your team) are rewarded instantly with mid-grade mission reward... 50 oxium, 50 cryotics, t3 keys, r5 fusion cores.

They're generally not in difficult-to-reach locations, and when they are, it's usually only a single movement skill required to nab them anyway.

So, it's an easy, simple, heavily rewarding thing, and yet... "not worth it"?

I don't understand. Are people afraid of them because of the Lotus's little "if you think it's worth the risk" line(what risk? seriouisly?), or are they just really poorly informed or... what? I can't fathom this for the life of me.

Why do people hate caches?

i think that there are some point of view that maybe u didn't consider

1: not everyone knows secret places in derelicts, they can't find em and they become frustrated

2: not everyone is able to parkour or uses abilities that do not deal damage (i know ...it's hard to understand, but somone really think that abilities = damage and they also complain about this in the forum)

3: not everyone needs the stuff found in caches 

4: bad luck, some people opened a bunch and only found crap... so they hate them becouse rng

in my opinion, it's really fun to look for em, but i also noticed that in the time u find all the 3 caches, the rest of the team is waiting u in the axtraction because is rushing the event

also if  get 15 exposure points abilities become unuseful and some of them become a pain in the &#! to reach xD

Edited by Regar

I guess that would be because caches aren't that easy to find, epsecially if you don't know the tileset very well. I have found caches in places that were quite obvious to me, but some other people literally ignored the existence of.

I can understand that feeling, since they aren't marked on the radar. But that would defeat the purpose of the challenge. And, while some rewards are objectively unappealing, personally I wouldn't spit over an extra 4000 credits or Fusion Cores, seeing as you can never have enough of both, as well as the other, more interesting, rewards.

That, or the people you found in game just wanted to rush the mission and weren't interested in the Caches. I played like that until I got to 15 points (in Solo of course), then teamed up with clannies to look for the Caches.

Perhaps you will need to find other Cache hunters to team up with and leave the rush to those who are not. :p

I actually got harassed for going for caches tonight.

Then when the cache ended up being a TIV Defense key, the other guy got out of extraction to cancel the timer (he'd rushed ahead to the end to keep me from looking for the caches in the first place because they "aren't worth it"), he got out of extraction and told me to find the other caches for him while he took a shower.

Yeah.

Why get T4 keys out of caches when you can grind/farm them and why get Cryotic out of caches when you could make a perfectly good whine thread about not being able to build Glaxion right now?

Because we have a venomous, jaded community of MMORPG rejects who just want to rush while doing only one thing at a time with the most OP weapon or skill that catches their eye, then come to the boards and tell DE they made a boring game until that OP thing gets nerfed, then they tell DE that they're dumb and should have left them to bore themselves to death being OP. That's why.

/rant

(Also, there's a notion going around that people sometimes don't get their exposure points unless they go through the portal and come back, so if they don't wait for you they may be screwing you over... thus when you search for caches they feel like you're holding them back if they don't value them or have time for finding them.)

Edited by VKhaun

only the third cache is worth it, first two are rubbish. so either get all 3 or don't bother

after they removed the vault I started playing with pugs again. I start looking for them since the start, other 3 players go and destroy the portal (I don't even go through it) then try to find all 3 caches before they finish.

The event has an expiration date. The actual game mode (orokin sabotage) will enter the game as permanent content before long, then you can hunt for caches all you like.

You can rush one in like 5 minutes. You've got a week. It seems unlikely the caches would be a permanent part, or as valuable in non-event versions. It's a wasted opportunity.

Caches are well worth it altogether, but there is some RNG.  I always say that im gonna hunt for caches when the mission starts, I find at least two, people thank me, and I run around collecting the mods they dropped while the extraction timer is running once the finish the objectives. Everyone wins.

-Vkhaun is not amused by your antics.-

(Also, there's a notion going around that people sometimes don't get their exposure points unless they go through the portal and come back, so if they don't wait for you they may be screwing you over... thus when you search for caches they feel like you're holding them back if they don't value them or have time for finding them.)

Definitely know that's false--back when there were vaults in the event, I was running with a group as the hobbled key. It wasn't worth finding the portal, let alone crossing it(particularly after they nuked me the one time I *did* cross it!) I still got points every time, except the time they nuked me(I imagine that has more to do with me being dead when we extracted than anything else).

Begrudgingly <3 your rant section.

only the third cache is worth it, first two are rubbish. so either get all 3 or don't bother

after they removed the vault I started playing with pugs again. I start looking for them since the start, other 3 players go and destroy the portal (I don't even go through it) then try to find all 3 caches before they finish.

I've been getting rewards equal to survival intervals from every cache so far. Even one is worth it, but all 3 is even better.

i think that there are some point of view that maybe u didn't consider

1: not everyone knows secret places in derelicts, they can't find em and they become frustrated

2: not everyone is able to parkour or uses abilities that do not deal damage (i know ...it's hard to understand, but somone really think that abilities = damage and they also complain about this in the forum)

3: not everyone needs the stuff found in caches 

4: bad luck, some people opened a bunch and only found crap... so they hate them becouse rng

in my opinion, it's really fun to look for em, but i also noticed that in the time u find all the 3 caches, the rest of the team is waiting u in the axtraction because is rushing the event

also if  get 15 exposure points abilities become unuseful and some of them become a pain in the @$$ to reach xD

Hrm. Your 1 and 2 are probably the biggest issues, I suppose. =/

I usually hate "treasure hunt" type things. I'm not good at finding hidden things and get bored running round trying to find things (short attention span).

I haven't minded with these cache things though. I've been running the event with someone from our clan and we've hunted them down purely because RNG may be good enough to give me forma bp's. 

I've got some pretty good stuff so far with cells, forma bp, t4 keys and some resources. I won't complain.

Why do people hate caches?

First of all they aren't all that easy to find, especially to those that usually don't explore. I'm an explorer myself and I have no trouble (most of the time, sometimes 1 does elude me somehow) but imagine someone who always only rushes towards the marker. Of course they will have problems.

Second they really are not worth it... usually. I got 2 formas from them so I like them but Oxium and Cryotic are resources that shouldn't even be in the game, and since they are highly specialized towards a single thing (Zephyr and cryo gun), they are 95% worthless to the players since most of us already got enough of that stuff to build what's necessary. Cores are nice, but do survivals then. Much faster and give tons of them. Credits... well, you get 4 times the amount in 2 minutes within a t4capture but even without keys, you can get this amount fast in dark sector defenses for only 5 waves.

I've played 47 missions altogether within this event (thanks to boss falling through the ground - around 2014-09-20 10:45 - the number is higher than intended) and only got 2 formas so those aren't all that relevant.

What I still got from this cache thingie is that I was right here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/79196-concepts-of-mine-consumables-merchant-gambler-and-void-cause-i-like-that/

Finding useful stuff really is a good motivation to explore voids thus the problem DE mentioned some time ago, namely players breezing through void and not caring about the map at all, could be solved like this.

Problem is the reward.

Formas should be removed from reward tables altogether and moved to loottables of cache vaults that are placed within void missions. They would look like the same as Derelict ones, without the dragon key component and would appear at the end of EVERY parkour course/room. Depending on the difficulty of the room they would have different drop chances for every single thing but what they should drop:

- Forma, from every single one of them, 5-35% chance.

- 20 common/10 uncommon or 5 rare core packs (randomly chosen), 20-55% chance. Cores should be removed from reward tables too. DE worried about reward table dilution anyways.

- Rare resource pack, not a single resource! Maybe 1 of each in a pack or 5 of a single type, 15-35% chance.

- Prime parts, 5-15% chance. Yes. It would help a LOT with reward table dilution. Some prime rewards could be moved straight to these vaults and removed from reward tables.

- Mod packs. Something unique, only for voids would be nice, like the Lightning+status mods, primed chamber, whatever.

This would make people go crazy for voids even if the chances are pretty low. Not that low, mind you, doing 100 void missions for a single thing isn't exactly fun and can remove players (as it has done before during Ember Prime etc.).

Edited by K_Shiro

The two biggest issues I have with the caches: 

1. RNG.

Everyone hates RNG, and the Caches's rewards are RNG based, with the planet/level they're on having no effect in the rewards. You could spend like 40 minutes searching in Ceres for the Caches, with high level Infested nipping at your heels, your powers and stats severely lowered, and still get a pitiful pile of Credtis (whose amount you could earn by turning around and firing pot shots into the Infested littering the area) and T1 Void Keys.

2. Finding the darn things in the larger maps in the first place.

It is really, really annoying trying to find these things in the larger maps, mostly due to how the levels are generated and how many rooms can be re-used, And not to mention with how dark and everything the Derelict already is you could most likely go in a full circle and not even realize it. 

I'm not saying they should be right out in the open, the second point is more about the map/level itself.

Now if the RNG was lowered or tweaked a bit so that the higher levels gave out the better rewards more often (or "Low" rewards were removed entirely) I'm sure more people would love to go hunting for them.

Takes too long, I don't need Cryotic, and I can get everything else doing things I enjoy more (like Survival runs).

Also, I just don't enjoy the Derelict tileset sorry.

So I ran solo, not forcing my playstyle on anyone.

I do think the idea is good, a different way to obtain things is good, some players will love this rather than other modes.

Edited by Egg_Chen

The two biggest issues I have with the caches: 

1. RNG.

Everyone hates RNG, and the Caches's rewards are RNG based, with the planet/level they're on having no effect in the rewards. You could spend like 40 minutes searching in Ceres for the Caches, with high level Infested nipping at your heels, your powers and stats severely lowered, and still get a pitiful pile of Credtis (whose amount you could earn by turning around and firing pot shots into the Infested littering the area) and T1 Void Keys.

This was my biggest gripe. The higher level caches should guarantee better rewards. I got a number of T4 keys and a couple of forma blueprints, but I actually gave up looting them for the last few runs as the random nature of the rewards didn't seem worth the added hassle, especially with our frames' depleted overall effectiveness.

If I am going to hunt for caches, I will do so on earth where the node treats us as having max 5 exposure points, gives the same rewards as all the other nodes, and also has infested that will die in 1 hit from any decent weapon.

On phobos and ceres do not bother with the caches. Better to get the exposure points for the event rewards then go and head back to earth to farm for cache rewards.