Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction House (Different View Of The Problem, With Different Solution)

BigDuckIsSwagInTown

Hi everyone, this isnt going to be the usual "i want an auction house"/"plz change trade sys" post.

I'm a programmer myself. I can make a very simple site where people just say things like "I wanna sell this mod at least at this price." and people just make an offer.

Then where the auction is done, the seller gets a message while he gets in the site where he reads "<ign> won the bid for <mod/part/..> for ##plats." so he goes in the game and when they find each other they just trade (ofc the seller has to write when he's usually online).

so this is my idea, just tell me if you'd like to see this.

ask question if you have some different ideas, if u got some opinion on this...

I didnt ask DE about this, so maybe they're also gonna blck me, i dont know...

I'm gonna make the site public only if i dont see a good and big change in trade system with U15.

This system would still require people to interact personally, be on at the same time, and do the trading themselves.

It wouldn't be a big improvement over what people have to do already.

In fact it'd require people to go out to other sites (or the main site) so it'd be more work for most.

Most people's oppositions to automated trade systems stem from one of 2 things.

1 - They assume that D3's "Auction House" is the only way they're done, and that left a bad taste in everybody's mouth for multiple reasons.

2 - They're merchants and an automated system would cut into their buy-low-sell-high profit (less common but you do see some straight-up admissions of this).

Most people's oppositions to automated trade systems stem from one of 2 things.

1 - They assume that D3's "Auction House" is the only way they're done, and that left a bad taste in everybody's mouth for multiple reasons.

2 - They're merchants and an automated system would cut into their buy-low-sell-high profit (less common but you do see some straight-up admissions of this).

I'm mostly opposed to this because I'd rather not have prices dominated by the sellers, and I would like an existing system to be optimized for once rather than drastically changed.

Just my take.

As for OP, honestly, I can see this sort of thing being used, especially for Kubrow auctions.

in an auction house prices are not dominated by sellers, well, just in the beginning. because seller sais the minimum price is X, then buyers get it higher, best bid wins...but if starting price is just too high, none will ever buy that mod.

and this is also a way to say "hey, i exists, i'm selling these mods, wanna get them?"

I'm mostly opposed to this because I'd rather not have prices dominated by the sellers, and I would like an existing system to be optimized for once rather than drastically changed.

Just my take.

As for OP, honestly, I can see this sort of thing being used, especially for Kubrow auctions.

You could always PM the person and see if they'll sell it for less.  I play various MMOs and it's not uncommon to get somebody PMing me asking if they can get a lower price on something I have listed.

Also if stuff I have doesn't sell (meaning as the seller I priced too high), I'll often put it up for less later to try to get it sold, if you're worried about all the prices being way too high.  People will want to undercut eachother, even if only slightly, anyways.

You could always PM the person and see if they'll sell it for less.  I play various MMOs and it's not uncommon to get somebody PMing me asking if they can get a lower price on something I have listed.

Also if stuff I have doesn't sell (meaning as the seller I priced too high), I'll often put it up for less later to try to get it sold, if you're worried about all the prices being way too high.  People will want to undercut eachother, even if only slightly, anyways.

Even if an undercut, a market like that is very easy to manipulate, and I see it happen quite often.

People then think of this as the 'average' price as they see everyone else selling it for that, and then we have certain things priced three times as much as they are now. True, it usually takes some time for this to occur, but it is still a fear to be had.

Even if an undercut, a market like that is very easy to manipulate, and I see it happen quite often.

People then think of this as the 'average' price as they see everyone else selling it for that, and then we have certain things priced three times as much as they are now. True, it usually takes some time for this to occur, but it is still a fear to be had.

People already do that, as it is, with the current Warframe trading system.  Arcane helmets being one of the most notable examples, especially with people passing out false information like "When the change happens everybody will only have 1 because the extras will be deleted" for a while.

It's theoretically easier to do right now anyways because trade chat does not have the advertisement and transaction history that an automated system should have, so sharp rises are easier to cause with some communication that doesn't actually require people to do actual sales as a coverup.

Don't make a "I wanna sell" website.

Make a "I wanna buy" website.

EVERYONE is selling, it's not hard to find what you're looking for.

dude, of course there will be a search stuff!!!

like, if u actually wanna buy something, u just search for the mod or whatever, then u PM the seller!

think in the real world, you get to the shop, the shop isn't moving, it doesn't come to you

People already do that, as it is, with the current Warframe trading system.  Arcane helmets being one of the most notable examples, especially with people passing out false information like "When the change happens everybody will only have 1 because the extras will be deleted" for a while.

It's theoretically easier to do right now anyways because trade chat does not have the advertisement and transaction history that an automated system should have, so sharp rises are easier to cause with some communication that doesn't actually require people to do actual sales as a coverup.

And then most buyers in that market disregard that completely, and offer what they are willing to give. Usually, someone gives in and sells them the item.

In an auction house, there would be no 'giving in', unless direct trade was left as well.

It is just what I have observed over the past few years in large scale MMO games. Coming to Warframe, I've found it to be the most fair trading system to date; odd, being as simplistic as it is.

Bad idea. Why move official trading out of the game? Why doing site, when people can trade ingame? 

still they won't be able to trade on an external site, its just the trade system as it is now is not optimal to sell and neither to buy. the site would just be a place to tell people what you are selling, then u gotta do the trade in game

And then most buyers in that market disregard that completely, and offer what they are willing to give. Usually, someone gives in and sells them the item.

In an auction house, there would be no 'giving in', unless direct trade was left as well.

It is just what I have observed over the past few years in large scale MMO games. Coming to Warframe, I've found it to be the most fair trading system to date; odd, being as simplistic as it is.

I've never seen an MMO remove the ability to trade another player directly when automated sales systems were added.

... though Warframe pushing trading into clans is pretty weird to begin with so who knows what's up with DE's plans for the market or what ideas they consider acceptable.