Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tenno Language

(PSN)NearlyDedicated

Polemosomology Megathread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/317555-polemosomology-the-study-of-warframe/?p=3588243

Research Started on: 9/23/14 (OP in last Spoiler)

Research Concluded on: 9/29/14: Conclusive evidence has been provided in the study of the Tenno Language.

Feel free to discuss the findings below.

Tenno Language Key (Created by a contributor, DrJia):

7JNPPKe.png

Above is the Tenno alphabet. It can be used to translate Tenno glyphs in-game. An example is presented below, showcasing Excalibur's arm:

OHlK2oh.jpg

4x24dFc.jpg

cw2xb9g.jpg

This, along with many other glyphs, can be properly translated, giving hints at lore reveals - most of which pointing to Hayden Tenno, the main character from darksectOr, a game thought to be the prequel to Warframe (although not confirmed). Hayden's name also occurs on Nyx, Loki, and several other tilesets. This includes another reoccurring phrase, being:

"Hayden Tenno, I'm sorry, I owe you one."

This study was financed by NearlyDedicated, and was carried out by:

DrJia

Vaugahn

Morec0

Sixty5

Tehnoobshow

T4LCOMX

hijinks_the_turtle

Ensignvidiot

Reizoryuu

AridTeflon

Ellvat

ArchIII

OP, Please Ignore, Outdated

Confirmed on Devstream 37, the various scribbles on Tenno armor and walls are indeed a form of Tenno writing, which can be translated:

Please scroll down and read my second post for further proof of a Tenno language. The threads mentioned below (linked) have a working key to the Tenno scripts, which give some lore reveals.

In a caption: "Tenno Language: Flowing Silhouettes, Elegant Curves"

When the Grineer and Corpus languages were introduced, we were given a way to start translation, whether it be a key, or a few words that have been translated.

I admit it, I'm a bit of a geek for these kinds of things - I'm also a big language enthusiast. I've already learned to write in Corpus, and translate into phonetic sounds...pike pkiy.

Would it be possible for the community to receive some way to start translating Tenno script? The style is very beautiful, and even though it looks just to be drawings, many eastern languages also appear this way, and I find it feasible that the Tenno language works in this way.

Thanks in advance,

NearlyDedicated

Edit: Found a screenshot of the Faction Summaries, including a brief description of their language design (mentioned above):

eZEAo6R.jpg

Language Key (not mine!): http://i.imgur.com/71vOijT.jpg

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

Guest Tehnoobshow

Edit: Found a screenshot of the Faction Summaries, including a brief description of their language design (mentioned above):

Uhhhh.... Shape Language refers to their general aesthetic geometry, it's got nothing to do with languages.

Uhhhh.... Shape Language refers to their general aesthetic geometry, it's got nothing to do with languages.

I don't think "shape language" means actual language...it probably refers to the aesthetic used when designing for that faction.

I'm a little more concerned about the "good guys, neutral guys, bad guys" labels.

Edit: Please lock this thread. I've vigorously searched, and stumbled upon this thread (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/304643-fellow-tenno-lets-decipher-the-tenno-language/)...someone's already deciphered a lot of it!

DE, you sly dogs kubrows you...

Earlier today, I posted a brief thread (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/314515-tenno-language/) asking about the Tenno language and the community's opinion. Most of the community thought the glyphs were nonsense, but I went into detail explaining the developers had designed a language for the Tenno. 

Turns out somebody decoded it a few days ago, here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/304643-fellow-tenno-lets-decipher-the-tenno-language/

After browsing several images of Tenno glyphs, I was able to find this one:

SN0uFUV.jpg

...and this one:

OlmyUZ4.png

Well DE, you've done it. The answer has been on every new player since the beginning of time (well, Warframe). Thanks to Korusagi, the images have been translated (I can verify this) as follows:

Disclaimer: Keep in mind the Tenno speak broken English and write as words sound, rather than proper grammar.

A: Haden Teno

B: Haden Teno, I'm sory, I owe you.

Wow. Just, wow. The Tenno have a direct connection to Hayden himself. They know of his existence. The Glaive has been confirmed to have been built in respect to the original Tenno ways. It's confirmed: The Tenno are followers of Hayden Tenno.

I'm sorry, I must be missing something, I've looked at this and the thread you linked and I don't understand how you're coming to this greater conclusions. And explanation would be very much appreciated.

This comment is in directed response to NearlyDedicated.

Edited by Morec0

I'm sorry, I must be missing something, I've looked at this and the thread you linked and I don't understand how you're coming to this greater conclusions. And explanation would be very much appreciated.

This comment is in directed response to NearlyDedicated.

The other thread isn't his work, but a collaboration of a small group. I don't know exactly how they got to where they are, but their early alphabet is somewhat accurate, so they are on to something.

NearlyDedicated got those phrases by deciphering the text in the images using their alphabet.

DE, you sly dogs kubrows you...

Earlier today, I posted a brief thread (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/314515-tenno-language/) asking about the Tenno language and the community's opinion. Most of the community thought the glyphs were nonsense, but I went into detail explaining the developers had designed a language for the Tenno. 

Turns out somebody decoded it a few days ago, here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/304643-fellow-tenno-lets-decipher-the-tenno-language/

After browsing several images of Tenno glyphs, I was able to find this one:

...and this one:

Well DE, you've done it. The answer has been on every new player since the beginning of time (well, Warframe). Thanks to Korusagi, the images have been translated (I can verify this) as follows:

Disclaimer: Keep in mind the Tenno speak broken English and write as words sound, rather than proper grammar.

A: Haden Teno

B: Haden Teno, I'm sory, I owe you.

Wow. Just, wow. The Tenno have a direct connection to Hayden himself. They know of his existence. The Glaive has been confirmed to have been built in respect to the original Tenno ways. It's confirmed: The Tenno are followers of Hayden Tenno.

I... uh...

Whoa man. I'm a lore freak. You have restored a deeper love for this game for me.

I... uh...

Whoa man. I'm a lore freak. You have restored a deeper love for this game for me.

Same here. DE is by far the best developer out there; it's just nobody knows it yet. 

They constantly put in these little details, such as "HADEN TENO", which nobody really notices...they're too focused on the unimportant things. DE has created a universe which we have barely begun to understand, despite having been in it for so long. We think we know everything there is to know about Warframe, the Tenno, and the Origin system...but there's still so much to explore.

I hope someone at DE is reading this, so they can pat themselves on the back. Good job, guys - your work isn't going unnoticed. 

Hmm, interesting. To what extent they are connected, though, remains to be seen. This translation seems interesting, and as I read the other thread again I think I see where he's coming from, but until we get some matching confirmation from DE (preferably in-game) I'm going to take it with a grain of salt.

Some kind of connection between the Haden and our Tenno was likely inevitable, though I imagine it's nothing so horribly direct as some might want to think. After all, we're not even able to accurately identify Haden's Proto-Armor.

If I had to theorize, and assuming this is accurate, Haden became some sort of legend post-Dark Sector as the world was overrun by the Infested (to what extent is unknown, but I think this is the case given the fact he was unable to stop Mezner's transmission from going out). Centuries upon centuries later the Orokin took this legend and named the results of their experiment - us - after it because of the superhuman traits we displayed post-Void mutation. As Tenno culture progressed, that naming coupled with the Legend became something far more - given the lack of evidence for writing on Primes, at least as has been presented, it's DEFINITELY a Tenno-specific thing to do, not Orokin, so it DEFINITELY originated with them; probably about the same time they began to build frames for their new members, by which I mean offspring.

post-Dark Sector as the world was overrun by the Infested 

There's references made in Dark Sector to a "Great Plague" that devastated the world. The Mire's description says it is a "relic from the Great Plague", and it doesn't look much like the other infested weapons. I think Dark Sector and Warframe are definitely set in the same universe, even if they're not directly linked.

There's references made in Dark Sector to a "Great Plague" that devastated the world. The Mire's description says it is a "relic from the Great Plague", and it doesn't look much like the other infested weapons. I think Dark Sector and Warframe are definitely set in the same universe, even if they're not directly linked.

They most certainly are in the same universe - see Excalibur's Proto-Armor. Dig an inch into Dark Sector and it's the same armor that Haden picked up before the final boss - EXACTLY the same. Not just pseudo-same like the regular Excalibur armor. And it's not just a reference skin for fun - it came with LORE in it's description.

It's just a matter of HOW much they're connected and HOW much influence the events of Dark Sector had in the centuries that followed that create the gap between it and Warframe.

Thanks for reminding me about the Great Plague, though. While in my timeline it would be difficult to place the major "Earth Infestation" as the same event as it if the Tenno we know were the first to wield that weapon, though it COULD BE that the Mire we wield was a relic from that ancient past the Tenno were able to re-purpose - sort of like if we went to a museum and picked up an Roman Legionarrie sword to use it, only the Mire isn't outdated and outclassed by modern technology for whatever reason.

though it COULD BE that the Mire we wield was a relic from that ancient past the Tenno were able to re-purpose - sort of like if we went to a museum and picked up an Roman Legionarrie sword to use it, only the Mire isn't outdated and outclassed by modern technology for whatever reason.

I had always assumed this is the case. If I had a trophy case in my dojo, I'd put it there, being a "relic" and all.

There are a few people in the shop that are going "Just as Planned" and "They still have no idea" followed by mutual diabolical laughter.

^made my night

It's just a matter of HOW much they're connected and HOW much influence the events of Dark Sector had in the centuries that followed that create the gap between it and Warframe.

The time scale is massive. Here's my best guess at it:

We know the Orokin originated on Earth and were probably futuristic humans. Even if they gained the knowledge they obviously had through outside means, the amount of infrastructure required to build the solar rails and towers would be massive. I'd say there's at least 5-700 years between Dark Sector and the rise of the Orokin, and then another similar span for the Orokin Empire's reign. Based on what the Lotus says about Lephantis (he's been in the derelict for centuries), and about the Grineer (they have existed for centuries as well), I'd say there's another 1000 years there easily. Overall I'd say the events of Warframe take place in the year 4000, at the very least.

DE you sly dogs. Kubrows

Fixed that for you.

On another note, the Tenno are terrible spellers

Refer to this:

It's a phonetic spelling system. Double letters have no difference in pronunciation and are thus omitted.

So my name is Addison. According to the above quote, my name written in Tenno would be along the lines of Adison, dropping the double-d. Korpus (the Corpus language) works the same way. Not sure if Grineer does, but if so, it would make sense - being that both (if not all) factions are built on the remnants of whatever education remained after the fall of the Orokin.

Overall I'd say the events of Warframe take place in the year 4000, at the very least.

Agreed

Guest Tehnoobshow

On another note, the Tenno are terrible spellers

It's a phonetic spelling system. Double letters have no difference in pronunciation and are thus omitted.