Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

3D Mod System: Expansion And Fusion, 3D.0

Tigercloud

15195459382_0dd39c1d0f_z.jpg

Three-dimensional modding

Current system is two-dimensions: Length x Width

Proposed system is three-dimensional: Length x Width x Height

15009052769_a2f8814698_z.jpg

This thread is supposed to offer the outline of an idea to be debated, changed and corrected, rather than saying this is the perfect system, DE should use it. I'm posting it in the hopes that it can be used as a foundation for Mods 3.0.

3D Modding adds height, allowing mods to be placed on top of other mods, and act as modifiers for those mods. These mod slots must be polarized for mods to be added 3D. It also allows Warframe abilities to be shared across Warframes as Fusion Abilities.

Once a slot is polarized, it gains an additional slot *on top of it*, which is polarized to the same polarization as the slot beneath it. This vertical slot can only be filled by certain eligible mods. These are the three-dimensional mods. The intent is to incorporate "useless" utility mods into this system as 3D mods, as well as allowing an expansion of the mod system. Mods are Warframe's loot, similar to armor pieces in Diablo III, and to provide incentive to go farm new missions we need useful loot to go for. 3D mods will provide a new tier of customization for end-gamers to go for.

The UI would be like so; the current view remains, but you can right-click on a polarized mod slot, or click the 2nd Tier button (available in the Actions section), to swivel it to a three-dimensional view. Eligible mods could then be inserted by clicking on one of the polarized vertical mod slots. Your mod list would be reduced to only the mods eligible for that slot, until you clicked on another slot or went back to the two-dimensional view.

Section I: Modifier Mods (Prefix/Suffix)

These 3D mods are MODIFIER mods. They are prefixes and suffixes for existing mods. For example, Fury could have positive prefix mods, or negative suffix mods, or both. Adding the Slyph Child mod (+20% Attack Speed/-20% Damage) allows one to have a Slyph Fury (+50% Attack Speed/-20% Damage) on that one mod slot. The Slyph Child mod could be applied to any attack speed mod, so you could also have Slyph Speed Trigger, Slyph Gunslinger, Slyph Shotgun Spazz, etc.

Section II: Modifier Mod Points

3D mods take mod points. These make forma more important (having enough mod points to fill all 8 mod slots AND use 3D mods), and allows for a player to branch out in two directions for modding; horizontally, as in old school modding of filling out the 8 mod slots, or vertically, 3D modding which allows for further specialization of existing mod slots, but at the cost of horizontal slots.

3D mods would take at most 7 mod points, although they can be less than that. Vertical slots come already polarized. This means that at max rank, a stacked mod will cost 4 mod points (7/2 because of polarity).

(Theorycrafting: have negative suffix only mods which cost negative mod points (aka adding more mod points to your pool rather than subtracting), allowing for further specialization. Unfortunately those mods would completely suck for noobs.)

15172803776_536e2f8ed3_z.jpg

Section III: Warframe Ability Mod Fusion

Most important part of 3D Modding: Warframe Abilities.

3D modding provides a model on how to merge Warframe abilities and allow them all to customize each other. Here's an example of what I mean:

We put Tidal Surge vertically on top of Frost's Ice Wave. Now, Frost is able to do a Tidal Surge that deals Ice damage.

We put Electric Shield on top of Frost's Snow Globe. Now, Frost makes a combination of Snow Globe and Electric Shield; an Electric Shield shaped Snow Globe which has double the hitpoints of a normal Snow Globe, that adds Ice damage to whoever shoots through it.

Now here's the thing. You can ALSO:

Put Ice Wave on top of Hydroid's Tidal Surge. Or put Snow Globe on top of Volt's Electric Shield. Bam. Same effects. Shared abilities on different Warframes. Customization. Seamless integration. Booyah.

Now, the downsides of this are allowing different Warframes to have access to the same abilities; perhaps this could be seen as watering down options. Also, there is the problem of overpowered combinations, but the system is designed so that not all Warframes have access to the same abilities. Indeed, no Warframe has access to another Warframe's original abilities. Only the Fusion abilities combined from two Warframes are shared. I think if handled correctly, it opens up gameplay style options for all Warframes, and no matter what some Warframes are going to be restricted on what other abilities they get access to.

So, you can add Fireball to Shock to get a streaming flamethrower, or Fireball and Freeze to get a blast damage AoE projectile.

The limitations of this system are that only mods from the same mod slot (1, 2, 3, 4) can be vertically stacked, and only some of these mods can be used as 3D modifiers. I'm sure there's some combinations of abilities which would be extremely OP, so by only allowing Warframes which have similar toolsets to share abilities keeps the balance level decent.

Examples:

Tidal Surge+Ice Wave→Snow Surge

Ice Wave+Hallowed Ground→Frozen Path

Snow Globe+Electric Shield→Frost Shield

Fireball+Shock→Flamethrower

Fireball+Freeze→Blast Spear

Energy Vampire+Shield Polarize: Gives shields to allies, stuns enemy, drains energy→Energy Polarize

Slash Dash+Rhino Charge: Speeded up Rhino Charge with more AoE→Thundering Charge

Desecrate+Reckoning: Causes Reckoning to also Desecrate→Desecration (Yes this violates my guideline of only mods of the same slot can be stacked, but I think this is a fair exception which shares Desecrate functionality with another Warframe)

Shield Polarize+Renewal: Causes Renewal to regenerate shields, but not health→Shield Renewal

As you see (hopefully :) ), the system is complex but encourages depth. It increases time commitment, but in return for increased customization. At present there's not really a reason to forma all 8 slots on a weapon or warframe, even though it's possible. This 3DP0 Mod System fills in those gaps. Now, 8 formaing a warframe may allow you to customize all your abilities, or further specialize your buff mods. However, even if you do 8 forma, you'll still be limited in the number of 3D mods you can install. That hard cap is important for keeping limits that require players to make choices.

Here's an example of two different build types under this system:

Ability Frost Prime Build: Aura: D Polarity, Energy Siphon (+5)

Slot 1: = Polarity, Freeze(2)+Fireball(2)=Blast Spear(4) Slot 2: – Polarity, Streamline (5) Slot 3: Flow (9) Slot 4: Fleeting Expertise (7) Slot 5: = Polarity, Snow Globe(5) Slot 6: = Polarity, Ice Wave(4)+Tidal Surge(4)=Snow Surge(8) Slot 7: D Polarity, Vitality (6) Slot 8: D Polarity, Redirection (7) Slot 9: Narrow Minded (14) Slot 10: Empty

= 65 Mod Points (No Forma)

This build just gives a no forma potatoed Frost Prime two new abilities, aiming towards low energy cost for ability spamming and small snow globe size.

Assault Frost Prime Build: Aura: D Polarity, Energy Siphon (+5)

Slot 1: = Polarity, Freeze(2)+Fireball(2)=Blast Spear(4) Slot 2: – Polarity, Streamline (5) Slot 3: – Polarity, Rush (6) Slot 4: V Polarity, Blind Rage (8) Slot 5: = Polarity, Snow Globe(5) Slot 6: = Polarity, Ice Wave(4)+Tidal Surge(4)=Snow Surge(8) Slot 7: D Polarity, Vitality (6) Slot 8: D Polarity, Redirection (7) Slot 9: V Polarity, Intensify (6) Slot 10: = Polarity, Flow (11)

= 64 Mod Points (3 Forma)

With 3 forma and potato, this build stacks max power strength with an energy heavy build. It's focused on ability spamming and mobility; to keep charging enemies with Snow Surge, stunning them with Blast Spear, and putting up vanilla Snow Globe in emergencies. The high power strength makes the ability spam deal a significant amount of damage, besides staggering and stunning enemies.

15195830985_fb46c79cfb_z.jpg

Section IV: Warframe Native Ability Mod Trees

Finally, Warframes would be able to stack the same ability on top of itself to customize it. This would make a tree of abilities available only to the original Warframe. As an example:

1. Frost and Hydroid share Ice Wave and Tidal Surge. Thus, they can both use the ability, Snow Surge.

2. Only Frost, however, can stack Ice Wave on top of itself. Thus, only Frost can use Ice Wave's second tier.

What this would be is a 3 path talent system. After you stack your Warframe's ability, you get to choose option A, B or C. E.g.,

A. Frost Wave: Ice Wave leaves a stacking debuff on enemies that makes them vulnerable to Ice damage. Each stack increases Ice damage against that enemy by 5/10/18/25%. Maximum of 4 stacks.

B. Brittle Path: Ice Wave leaves a path of frost on the ground which inflicts an Ice proc, slowing down enemies who cross it. The duration of the frost path is 2/3/4/5 seconds.

C. Ice Crush: Ice Wave deals a knockdown to all enemies in its path, but loses all damage. Cooldown is increased to 25/20/14/7 seconds.

This would happen in the UI by hovering your mouse over the ability card (in the case of this example, Shock). If a talent tree is unselected, three options will appear before you, using the mod card UI, showing each path and its stats. Click on one, and then you gain that path and can start leveling it. To choose a new path, you would hover your mouse over the ability card again.

You gain a level in a talent tree option by getting 10 levels of experience for that option. 30 levels permanently unlocks the level 3 option. You have to repeat the leveling process for each talent option, but once completed they stay at max rank.

Section V: Cleaning up the old system, finding a use for utility mods

These are ideas for how to add new things to the mod system, but the most important part in my opinion is for how it deals with existing mods. Those “useless” mods that we have now, well, let them be 3D mods that can be vertically stacked. Max them out at 7 mod points, then make them so they can only be stacked on certain mods. For example, make it so Maglev, Handspring and Sure-footed can be stacked on Rush. Make it so Diamond Skin, Flame Repellant and the other elemental resistance mods can be stacked on Redirection or Vitality. This means if someone decides to trade stats (power strength/duration/range/efficiency) for speed or defense, they will also gain access to utility mods that a stat-oriented player would not be able to.

Examples:

Rush: Maglev, Handspring, Sure-footed, Aviator

Redirection: Diamond Skin, Flame Repellant, Lightning Rod, Antitoxin, Insulation, Warm Coat

That's the basics for how to incorporate the useless/utility mods into the new mod system; as modifiers for other mods.

Something a bit more complicated which I'm unsure on is whether to have some utility mods give mod points if slotted. For example, Intruder. Maybe it could give 4 mod points if stacked on Enemy Sense. This would allow players to choose utility mods to increase their mod point pool, or choose damage/ability enhancing mods at the expense of more mod points. If Maglev, Handspring, Surefooted, Diamond Skin and so on gave 4 mod points rather than taking away 4 mod points, that would allow build differentiation between utility/defense builds and damage/ability enhance builds.

So, what this mod system does:

1. Adds another layer of customization which results in specialization and mutually-exclusive choices, thus leading to diversification of builds.

2. Allows for Warframes to share abilities on a limited level. This would be a way for DE to implement their planned idea of having generic abilities which all Warframes could use; but instead, we're essentially making new combo abilities which only two Warframes could share. This limitation would allow for better balancing, because from the start Warframes could be prevented from getting abilities which would make them OP, and only given abilities that expand their toolbox. E.g., not every Warframe will have access to Snow Surge, which is a CC and mobility ability. There are some Warframes where having Snow Surge would synergize too well with their other abilities, aka OP. Since only Warframes which have Tidal Surge or Ice Wave can get Snow Surge, the only balancing that needs to be done is ensuring that this hybrid ability suitably fits both Warframes' toolboxes.

3. Offers a third option: If you don't want to adjust your stat mods, aka power strength, duration, energy efficiency, etc, and you don't want to use abilities from another Warframe, you can specialize your favorite Warframe abilities to a new level.

4. Makes use of all the useless/utility mods in an effective way.

Finally, the real result is that people would be doing all 3 things: Doing a little stat mod adjustment, use a shared Warframe ability, and specialize a native WF ability. You could also go down only one of those three, or two of those paths. Thus, there are at least 7 combinations (Stat mod heavy, Shared ability heavy, Native ability heavy, Stat Mod+Shared Ability+Native Ability, Stat Mod+Shared Ability, Stat Mod+Native Ability, and Shared Ability+Native Ability). I think with balancing work and ironing things out over time, most variations could be viable. This is why I think the 3DP0 system is at least a good concept at looking where Warframe's mod system can go.

Putting things in perspective:

15009052769_a2f8814698_z.jpg

15009164910_5db3de4e6f_z.jpg

15172803776_536e2f8ed3_z.jpg

15195830985_fb46c79cfb_z.jpg

So....Making modding so confusing to newbies that they feel it has the Skill wall that EVE does?   No no, that is not something that is needed.   I mean sure sounds nice but think of how many combinations DE would have to do to make it work and then balancing issues................In the end it becomes a resource dump that may take too much time from DE and stall any progress on fixing the foundation that still needs work (Stealth, some skills, PvP, etc etc)   Sounds good, but is too convoluted and complicated it may deter many people that might of invested more time into the game

Holy hell this wall of text.

But anyhow, this actually sounds great! I personally wouldn't make any modifications to it.

The only addition I would make is combining different native warframe powers. I mean, it only seems logical.

P.S. OP you might want to follow your own topics. There's a button in the upper right.

Edited by Lukap99

So....Making modding so confusing to newbies that they feel it has the Skill wall that EVE does?   No no, that is not something that is needed.   I mean sure sounds nice but think of how many combinations DE would have to do to make it work and then balancing issues................In the end it becomes a resource dump that may take too much time from DE and stall any progress on fixing the foundation that still needs work (Stealth, some skills, PvP, etc etc)   Sounds good, but is too convoluted and complicated it may deter many people that might of invested more time into the game

This is why we discuss here how to simplify it and make it manageable :) I'm sure DE could do a better job of making a simplified UI than I can with my crappy photoshop skills. But this system would sit on top of the current mod system, meaning newbies can still go on as they have been. It may confuse a few people who click on it by accident, but that's why we have tutorials now. It could be rank restricted, although I'm happy to have it be unrestricted. It would let new players specialize early on if they want to and are capable of understanding the 3D system, and if they can't they'll just stick with the current system.

BUT, this is mainly intended for end-gamers who have maxed out on current content. Now formaing out all your slots means a lot more, and allows for customizability (sidegrades and specializations) if carried out correctly.

I wouldn't say this looks as confusing as EVE skills... by far.

But it'd be a good thing to make an in-game tutorial for, no? Good thing we have a revamped tutorial system now!

^This. This this this.

Here's some more examples of what might be done with this system. These would be the mods that could stack on top of Serration:

Heavy Caliber (+165% Damage, -55% Accuracy), Rapid Rounds (-20% Damage, +30% Fire Rate), Pinpoint (-15% Damage, +45% Accuracy), Sawtooth Clip (+30% Slash Damage), Rupture (+30% Impact Damage), Piercing HIt (+30% Puncture Damage)

In this case, Heavy Caliber would no longer be able to be used in a 2D slot, nor would Sawtooth Clip, Rupture or Piercing Hit. But it doesn't have to be that way: we could leave HC as it is now. I don't want people to get bogged down on the specifics here, but figuring out whether this system has potential, and if so suggesting ideas for it. I think it's a pretty decent framework.

Making warframe abilities cross compatible kind of defeats the purpose of having different frames (and is a bit lore breaking).

I'd rather just see frames get a set of alternative abilities to choose from.

There are a lot of good ideas here but in all honesty this has the potential to throw out the balance of WF even more. That being said I like the idea of having secondary mods come with a notable downside. Players are OP enough as it is so have a proper concept of risk vs reward is a good thing.

If something like this was implemented it should defiantly come with a balance and numbers overhaul.

Its a interesting idea OP. Could lead to a more expansive and refined system if done right.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

This is fantastic. It addresses a fair number of the gripes you see a lot of veteran players talk about in regards to the depth of customization and gameplay. I think DE would be silly to not at the least consider this as an option.

Edit: To the people saying the current mod system is already too difficult to work with; A) It's cluttered with a massive amount of mods, most of them useless, this adresses that B) There is a lack of tooltips in the current mod system/UI which needs to be addressed C) If I have to watch another mechanic be dummed down because new players have thier head to far up thier &#! to handle getting acquainted with a game I'll go mad.

Edited by Sylaenius

Simple example, WEAPONS.

We have 60 energy (max), 8 slots. This means each mod must take up at most 7 energy to equip 8 mods. If something uses more than 8, others must use less. This can usually be done with Forma'ed weapons. With what you suggest you won't be able to equip more than 1 or 2 additional mods. I don't really like your idea.

The simplest suggestion that has been re-iterated is add utility slots on everyintg (2 utility slots). What do I mean by utility slots,

On warframes:

Anything that does not affect combat effectiveness

- of the top of my head these mods qualify

thief's wit, enemy sense, (maybe sprint boost and marathon), intruder, master thief.

Things that don't qualify - anything that alters powers - duration/efficiency/range, anything that offers defensive/offensive abilities.

On weapons

Mods that don't directly affect damage (not that many)

Qualify - Metaul Auger, Hush, Eagle Eye, Magazine Size, Max ammo capacity

Disqualify - anything that adds reload speed, firing rate, damage, crits, status

Same on sentinels. I feel this would be much simpler to implement, would make many people happy because we can now take advantage of some utility mods, and this is actually viable in terms of energy availability.

Good idea...

but... you will need a clear cut line... between what you can fusion and what you cant... this espacially applies to OP or GOD-like abilities...

Yes. I think if you use as a general rule of thumb that only abilities from the same mod slot can be combined (1, 2, 3), avoid fusioning ultimates (4), and don't give invincibility/damage reduction/stealth abilities to certain Warframes, it will be fine. The exceptions would be something like Desecrate+Reckoning, where I think Nekros (being almost entirely a support Warframe) would be okay having something like Reckoning. And for Oberon, having Desecration would give him increased utility.

Making warframe abilities cross compatible kind of defeats the purpose of having different frames (and is a bit lore breaking).

I'd rather just see frames get a set of alternative abilities to choose from.

There are a lot of good ideas here but in all honesty this has the potential to throw out the balance of WF even more. That being said I like the idea of having secondary mods come with a notable downside. Players are OP enough as it is so have a proper concept of risk vs reward is a good thing.

If something like this was implemented it should defiantly come with a balance and numbers overhaul.

Its a interesting idea OP. Could lead to a more expansive and refined system if done right.

What I like about this system is no Warframe has another Warframe's original abilities; Ember can't have Shock, Rhino can't have Antimatter Drop. At best, they can share a fusion ability which is *similar* to, but not the same as, a native Warframe ability.

We can set things up so each Warframe can only share at most one fusion ability from another Warframe, which will guarantee that you don't have Warframes which have exactly the same ability set. I think that would avoid the problem of making certain frames redundant. As for lore, mmm, yeah, it would require an overhaul. But I think the improved gameplay would be worth writing some new lore.

Didn't have time to read it all, but I prefer 2d over 3d. I already get a little dizzy with the mods swirling around after the last update :)

I do like the idea of mods as modifiers though.

I know where you're coming from. DE could probably achieve the same thing with a 2D UI; just drop the 3D mods on top of a polarized mod slot, bam, the mod card changes to be a fusioned card (Like Slyph Child + Fury = Slyph Fury, +50% Attack Speed, -20% Damage). Click on the fusioned card and drag it off, bam, the 3D mod card is removed and you're left with the original (Fury, in this case).

I think seeing it in 3D would be a cool option to have, though. :)

Simple example, WEAPONS.

We have 60 energy (max), 8 slots. This means each mod must take up at most 7 energy to equip 8 mods. If something uses more than 8, others must use less. This can usually be done with Forma'ed weapons. With what you suggest you won't be able to equip more than 1 or 2 additional mods. I don't really like your idea.

The simplest suggestion that has been re-iterated is add utility slots on everyintg (2 utility slots). What do I mean by utility slots,

<snip>

Mmm, I didn't explain myself well in the above system. My suggestion was to make all stackable mods cost 7 Mod Points maximum, un-polarized. Thus, in a polarized slot, the mod will cost 4 Mod Points. Since all 3D slots come already polarized, any stacked mod will cost at most 4 Mod Points. If that's the case...

Gorgon Wraith, 8 Forma

42 Energy, 8 Mods

18 Extra Energy

18/4=4 Maxed Mods, 1 2-Point Mod

One of those 4 mods could be a 3D version of Vile Precision, thus reducing the Weapon Recoil by 120%, and reducing the Fire Rate by 36%, not a problem for the GW with Shred.

http://goo.gl/QwnjJx

Phage, 8 Forma

47 Energy, 8 Mods

13 Extra Energy

13/4=3 Maxed Mods, 1 1-Point Mod

http://goo.gl/MlAFSh

So, you get at least 2, sometimes up to 4 or 5 extra mods with 8 forma. We could lower the max Mod Point cost on a 3D mod to 6 points if people feel we need more than 4-5 extra mods. The idea is the combination of the 60 Energy mod limit + 8 Forma becomes the new mod cap. It becomes a shifting hard cap which depends on the cost of the mods you use. Preferably, straight DPS mods would cost more, and utility mods would cost less. This means that you can have a max DPS build, which would sacrifice a lot of utility, or a non-maxed DPS build which can have a significant amount of utility, or a non-maxed DPS build which focuses on accuracy or Damage Per Hit.

Also, this isn't even getting into having some 3D mods give Mod Points rather than taking Mod Points. I think that concept has a huge amount of potential. Imagine getting 3 or 4 extra MP from Hush or Eagle Eye, which you could then spend on Magazine/Fire Rate/Crit Chance/Crit Damage/Punch Through/Etc modifier mods. Or, you could install a -36% Fire Rate mod on your Twin Wraith Vipers, get 3/4 MP from that, and add an extra +25% Damage/-15% Fire Rate mod on top of your Hornet Strike.

Qualify - Metaul Auger, Hush, Eagle Eye, Magazine Size, Max ammo capacity

All of these could be modifier mods.

This is fantastic. It addresses a fair number of the gripes you see a lot of veteran players talk about in regards to the depth of customization and gameplay. I think DE would be silly to not at the least consider this as an option.

Edit: To the people saying the current mod system is already too difficult to work with; A) It's cluttered with a massive amount of mods, most of them useless, this adresses that B) There is a lack of tooltips in the current mod system/UI which needs to be addressed C) If I have to watch another mechanic be dummed down because new players have thier head to far up thier @$$ to handle getting acquainted with a game I'll go mad.

I think this has a lot of potential which is why I'm putting it out there. It allows for further specialization/customization while still keeping a hard cap to prevent power creep from going up too much. If the modifier mods are made correctly (E.G. not straight DPS increasers, but always having a +/– like corrupted mods have), then we can customize our weapons to fire slowly but deal a lot of damage per shot, or fire slowly but very, very accurately, or fire quickly and with huge magazines but lower damage per shot, fire quickly with high damage but greatly reduced ammo capacity, increase the status/crit chance on non-status/crit weapons, in essence doing sidegrades which change how the weapon works.

And the Ability Mod fusion thing is just badass. ;)

Edited by Jiufengbao

Yeah, this would be fantastic.  Of course I am a fan of extremely complex game systems.  I think that the ability fusion would be awesome, and could maybe be boiled down into just a bunch of new mods that add different effects to current abilities.  But ultimately I like everything you said, I would love to see something like this if they ever revamp the mod system.

• 5 weeks later...

Now that PC has the new ability screen, maybe parts three and four should be changed and the customization screen moved there. In place of old ability mods, we could have new ones that are 1. received through different means, rather than drops, and 2. work on at least one ability for every frame. They could be simpler, things like Ice/Fire/Viral/Other elements (adds that element, whether primary or secondary, to an ability), Health Steal, or other abilities on top of the basic ones. That would still offer customization, but might be more manageable than having tons of power combinations to learn.

*Finishes drooling over the effort put into the presentation*

No.

Nah I'm joking. I'd like to touch on the fact that I played in beta, have trinity and saryn at 30 with quite a few weapons at 30 and only just found out about the orokin catalysts, forma and cell grind, literally yesterday.

The npe would (and still needs) to go more in depth for this. If that happened, then I'm all for this idea.

PS. I didn't redo the prologue so I don't know how good it is now. My buddy said its great though compared to what it was.