Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dear Tenno: What To Do Before Posting On The Forums

Toko

Please sit down Tenno,

I am sure we have all been a victim of this. You seen a bug, you got a complaint or you think you thought of the best idea since slice bread and the first thing you do before anything else is make a thread.

But hold on to your Braton! Someone may off already noticed or suggested the same thing. So what do you do?

That’s right you S.T.O.P (Search. Think. Organise. Post).

Now why should you do this? The main reason for doing this is to stop multiple threads of the same topic flooding the forums. For example If someone has already solved the same problem then its quicker to search for the answer than to create a topic and wait for replies.

Now how do you S.T.O.P?

Search

As you all may notice that under your account name there is a search bar. Now this is your best friend. It can be a useful as you want it to be. You can search simple words or even sentences. You can even click on the white cog and do advanced searches. However many may find advanced searches are not required for the most part. Once you found related results read through some of those threads as the title might not be the same as the one you might use but it may contain the information you are looking for.

While looking at a searched thread related words will be highlighted so check these for possible answers. You can also search while looking at a thread at any time by using the same search tool.

Think

This part is important. Do you go ahead and post the thread or see if you can find help elsewhere? In most cases if you can't find a suitable result with the search tool the chances is that no one has covered your topic yet. This isn't always the case as the forums like life contains its own unique system, the more time you spend on the forums the more you will know. For example many new players won't know the in-forum joke about hamsters or what a potato is. Don't worry these things will come in time and many answers are wrongly assumed.

Make sure you create your thread in the right part of the forums. You found a bug? then post it in the bug forums. Got a idea then post it in the correct suggestion forum. This will maximise the chances that the correct people (and developers) will read and respond to your thread.

Organise

You could say this is the most important part. How you present your thread is crucial do any successful post. A well writing point, discussion or suggestion will go further than rude unchecked rants about PvP or OP weapons. Imagine you are trying to sell yourself. Imagine this thread is like a shop window you want people to look and come inside. Now I am no expert but everyone knows that a clean window is better than a muddy one.

You need to make your points clear, balanced and with sufficient knowledge and research done. You will likely need a beginning, middle and end or a introduction, main and then a conclusion. You will need to provide a unbiased reasoning to ensure that a fair discussion can be had. There is nothing wrong with admitting you were wrong or made a mistake. To never make mistakes is to live a dream.

Once you have done all the previous points. Make sure you have read the thread a few times, added any related links and media on to the thread to support and better illustrate you idea, bug etc. then post your topic. Happy in the knowledge that you have done the best you could with the information provided.

Remember responding and updating a thread is important to its survival as the world of Warframe is a fast moving one and old information will be misleading and lead to more unnecessary posts.

And finally quality is more important than quantity. People aren't going to care if you have a thousand posts if they all involve one word answers or questions when another person may have ten perfectly helpful and well balanced posts.

Now go forth young Tenno and spread the unique good word of your insight and opinion.

Essential Reading:

- Open Beta Agreement: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/28-open-beta-agreement-read-me/.

- Community Rules: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/7-community-rules/.

- Forum Guidelines: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/8165-forum-postingguidelines/.

- The unread FAQ (Read it): https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/5898-warframe-faq/.

I hope the above has been helpful and apologise in advance if I haven’t followed my own advice. I will likely add some pictures in the future to better illustrate my point.

Contra principia negantem non est disputandum ("There can be no debate with those who deny the foundations").

Updates (23/04/13):

- I have changed the "Bonus Tips" section to the "Essential Reading" section. It will now highlight important threads that all old and new players should keep up to date on.

Edited by Toko

Everything.  This idea of being logical is hurting my head.  I must spam complain randomly.

Just read the thread. If you are trying to be funny then it isn't. I can explain stuff if you are being serious which you are clearly not being.

For some reason your OP made me angry.

I don't know if it's the simple fact that you look the community that dumb, that they can't figure these out by themselves... 

or the so obvious "I want to be a mod" self promoting sign hidden in your post.

Anyways. -1

I don't know if it's the simple fact that you look the community that dumb, that they can't figure these out by themselves... 

Anyways. -1

I made it after reading the same threads. I am trying to be helpful because some people are quite clueless. The fact you got angry is funny but you are allowed to have a opinion. Also you made some mistakes.

Edited by Toko

I made it after reading the same threads. I am trying to be helpful because some people are quite clueless. The fact you got angry is funny but you are allowed to have a opinion. Also you made some mistakes.

curious. what mistakes?

Don't try to be smart then.

Now you are just being annoying :) If you can't point out my "mistake" which i asked you to do so... Don't bother answering at all. You just make yourself look like a fool.

If my "mistake" is having bad grammar... don't even go into that. You would look even more like... let's say yourself.

Edited by Sikab

Now you are just being annoying :) If you can't point out my "mistake" which i asked you to do so... Don't bother answering at all. You just make yourself look like a fool.

I did point it out.

HEY GUIZE THISI GAME WOULD BE BETTUR WITH PVP.

And grow up.

I haven't got anything else to say unless its a comment related to the original thread.

Anyways. -1

^ this 

honestly the Op needs to get over himself. this is a forum. Thus it will be full of crap. reasonable people either help the noob or ignore it.

your not the first guy to try this crap on a forum but i'll save you some time and tell you to stuff it. hell the only people to read this thread are here to bag on your naivete.

ps  op is dump /trollface

I always post what I think. Honestly works out because if I've got something backwards eventually someone will simply correct me with a proper source/decent info.

I don't come here expecting to know or understand everything. Just come here to post feedback and occasionally play devil's advocate in threads that have decent enough odds of getting some good discussion going.

Regardless of all that - this thread is pretty dull. It is inevitable for things like this to turn into a circlejerk. You can already see people complaining about OP or this or that.

honestly, I believe you should add something to the think part about "will this post be usefull or just add to the spam?" and then think about that inregards to your own post -_-

i hate to say it man, but this isn't gunna help anyone.

The original thread was suppose be helpful and not to be taken as some sort of breach against peoples freedoms. It was a response to seeing the same threads over and over again. It was done as some people don't do what I mention. It was in some way meant to be funny, maybe a parrody in some respect.

The fact that most of the people above can't take my original post in any positive way is a damning indictment of Warframe immature community. Maybe its expected but I like to think times have changed. Its not the 90s anymore.

The original thread was suppose be helpful and not to be taken as some sort of breach against peoples freedoms. It was a response to seeing the same threads over and over again. It was done as some people don't do what I mention. It was in some way meant to be funny, maybe a parrody in some respect.

The fact that most of the people above can't take my original post in any positive way is a damning indictment of Warframe immature community. Maybe its expected but I like to think times have changed. Its not the 90s anymore.

Honestly, deal with it. Most Game forums act the same way - repeat threads are common and Search bars go unloved and unwanted.

It isn't your job to bother directing the masses and honestly it isn't all that likely it'd ever be possible - even if you gave all the data you could possible give all laid out clearly.

Don't try to get all passive aggressive and butthurt about it.

I'm just saying.  These forums have gone to hell since they added upvote and downvote.
Everyone is rude to each other.  No one is helpful.  Often times threads turn into a circle jerk and instead of there being constructive conversation it becomes "WE ARE RIGHT" and "THEY ARE WRONG" with the + and -'s deciding who "won" the argument.

I'm just saying.  These forums have gone to hell since they added upvote and downvote.

Everyone is rude to each other.  No one is helpful.  Often times threads turn into a circle jerk and instead of there being constructive conversation it becomes "WE ARE RIGHT" and "THEY ARE WRONG" with the + and -'s deciding who "won" the argument.

I don't tend to see this happen. Most of the time both parties are wrong, just like always.

You are LOOKING at an example of it >_>

The likes and dislikes are just reactions. They don't have anything to do with right or wrong.

Both sides of an argument could have the entire thing all wrong and they'd still be wrong even if they where getting insane amounts of likes. Same could be said if both guys had good points and they where getting downvoted.

Downvotes are how people feel about a post. The truth doesn't give a damn how people feel.

The likes and dislikes are just reactions. They don't have anything to do with right or wrong.

Both sides of an argument could have the entire thing all wrong and they'd still be wrong even if they where getting insane amounts of likes. Same could be said if both guys had good points and they where getting downvoted.

Downvotes are how people feel about a post. The truth doesn't give a damn how people feel.

You are correct, but a surprising amount of people don't see them the same way.

If one post has some downvotes, another impressionable soul would think, "Huh, this guy must be wrong, I guess I'll downvote him, too."  It's not even an active thought, but a subconscious, instinctual reaction.  It's the same with upvotes.

So, even though the truth is what it is, the uninformed public's perception of it can be skewed simply by looking at the votes.

You are correct, but a surprising amount of people don't see them the same way.

If one post has some downvotes, another impressionable soul would think, "Huh, this guy must be wrong, I guess I'll downvote him, too."  It's not even an active thought, but a subconscious, instinctual reaction.  It's the same with upvotes.

So, even though the truth is what it is, the uninformed public's perception of it can be skewed simply by looking at the votes.

That really isn't any one posters problem though.

Like, if me and TraumaHunter are having a go over a topic and he is totally right and I've got it backwards, that isn't a big deal. He would know his info is legit. He can keep right on telling the truth in any thread he pleases. In the end whatever he is saying would come out on top - the truth eventually has to come around - so all the down votes and sheep votes don't make a difference.

It is all about giving honest feedback. What people think of that feedback isn't important. What is important is keeping it constructive and trying to back it up in a way other people understand.

Sometimes you see it, sometimes you don't, but that happens in every Beta Forum. It is par for the course.

Edited by Blatantfool

This thread is just as useless as the other ones. The info you're trying to give was already given when we signed up to be able to post on the forums. Grow up and get used to the internet. If you want a mature forum then create your own and moderate it yourself.