Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Maximum Bullet Range

LionGEARS

So Update 7.8 went live and i did a quick run of the mercury boss with my Latron (sounds awesome btw)

I entered the room with captain Vor from the lower entrance and started sniping the enemy grineer...

one shot, one kill since my Latron is level 30. After all Lancers on the Boss Platform were dead i went on

to shoot enemies on the upper platforms at the end of the room... and i couldn't hit them. Every single

shot i fired went off... not even close to where i was aiming at with my usually pinpoint accurate Latron.

Some grineer were running down the stairs and i emptied a magazine into them. Some of them got close

enough and my bullets hit exactly where i was aiming again.

After that i tried shooting every enemy that seemed too far away to hit. I found out that these stray Bullets

can hit/damage a target and that I could hit the grineer that were taking cover on the upper platforms

behind Captain Vor who was close enough for my shots to be accurate. I could miss Captain Vor on

purpose to get accurate shots on enemies that i couldn't hit because they were too far away

I took this screenshot on my 2nd run to compare the range with my Lato. same results

iIAtPhS.jpg

Captain Vor taking cover behind the crate where I'm aiming at and the shot i fired (midair) went into the bottom right corner and hit the crate (sparks)

The Boss had a waypoint on him. The Distance to Captain Vor was about 80 metres

I'm not so sure if Bolt-Type weapons also suffer from this range issue, but this makes long range weapons like the Latron or the Snipetron less effective in situations that play to their strengths and where they have the potential to shine

Edit: some more screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/dwsPjHh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oepdDCR.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JPLNfZj.jpg

Edited by LionGEARS

Yeah, I've had this happen a couple times with my Lex.

Shots that SHOULD be clean headshots don't even register against far-away targets, but when I get a bit closer I'm suddenly back to glorious head-popping.

Particularly in that room, I'll be shooting across the room at enemies running up-down the stairs and my bullets won't do anything, but then they will run closer to me and suddenly I'm able to hit them.

Kinda ruins the point of having a sniper pistol if there's a range-cap on it.

Edited by Haif

I'm definitely seeing this behaviour at very-long range; so far with the Lex and with Paris.  It seems to have a sharp cutoff distance, beyond which all my shots begin veering wildly off to one side.  In one instance, this cutoff coincided exactly with a transition into a new room; not sure if that's related (some kind of cell boundary problem?).

This is a pretty severe issue for any sniper-class weapons. XD

Edited by Qeveren

Unfortunately, I have experienced the exact same issue when attempting to make long distance shots with the Latron. It isn't hard to place shots with this weapon, but the latest patch seems to have thrown the aim off significantly.

Yeah, I've had this happen a couple times with my Lex.

Shots that SHOULD be clean headshots don't even register against far-away targets, but when I get a bit closer I'm suddenly back to glorious head-popping.

Particularly in that room, I'll be shooting across the room at enemies running up-down the stairs and my bullets won't do anything, but then they will run closer to me and suddenly I'm able to hit them.

Kinda ruins the point of having a sniper pistol if there's a range-cap on it.

I've also noticed this with my Lex. Before the 7.8 update, if I had a clean shot with my Lex, I was able to kill a target clear across the entire room. I noticed that after the 7.8 update, I'd be missing targets whereas before, it wasn't a problem. I don't know if this was intended with the 7.8 update or if this is a bug.

I'm really glad I found this topic because I thought I'd have to stop drinking alcohol while going Lex cray-cray. Then again, I'd probably still be drinking alcoholic beverages even if this is intended or just a funky bug. 

I can confirm this. A grineer Bombard was standing far away, far enough to now show its name and hp, and not a single bullet of an othwerwise accurate weapon did anything. Once i moved closer (where i was able to see its hp and so on aswell) i could kill that guy as normal

this happen to my Latron too 

this is what happen

Started noticing the very same thing with my Paris today.  When I was trying to hit very far off targets my arrow would veer wildly off course.  It isn't bullet drop, which someone else in here suggested.  This is the arrow going to the wrong place right out the gate (or off the bowstring, as it were).  This seems like it would be a bug rather than something intentional.  There's no way having the bullets go that far off course could be normal.

I've noticed this too when trying to snipe Ambulas from too far away. It seems that after aiming at certain distance your gun no longer tracks your crosshairs. Instead, it keeps firing at the last point that your crosshairs were at, up to that limit.

The image below demonstrates this. The red circle shows where the bullet actually hit, which is where my crosshairs passed over the range limit.

1548632-6XRQV53.jpg

Edited by Jiel

I've noticed this too when trying to snipe Ambulas from too far away. It seems that after aiming at certain distance your gun no longer tracks your crosshairs. Instead, it keeps firing at the last point that your crosshairs were at, up to that limit.

The image below demonstrates this. The red circle shows where the bullet actually hit, which is where my crosshairs passed over the range limit.

1548632-6XRQV53.jpg

Definitly fine work there spotting the oddity. Been having shots do odd things myself, but having not possessed accurate enough weapons to try ultra long range shots before this update, I couldn't be sure.

i just tried and confirmed this.

after a certain range it just keeps shooting at the last spot within range.

I've noticed something really weird with this; on some sections of the outdoor levels, this problem doesn't occur - you can shoot accurately at long range - then later on in the same level the issue returns.  Really makes me think it's some cell boundary thing. XD

Same issue, it doesn't matter what weapon you use tbh. Can just mention it happened for me with Gorgon and Lato as well. Any weapon is useless at long range now. Not even my Gorgon (which is not a sniper weapon) can hit targets anymore that used to be well within it's "head shot" range.

Kinda ruins the game, for anything other than mid/close combat weapons. Are they even aware of this issue? Have they seen this topic?

Edited by Mikki79

Bumping this, can confirm the bug exists with the Latron and Gorgon trying to snipe at distant targets in the Captain Vor and Tyr Regor assassination missons, in the boss area. The bullets get thrown off their trajectory and seem magically attracted to that big pipe across the middle of the map.

Having made a thread about a similar bug I have one thing that might separate them.

The bug I have is affected by swapping shoulders. Swapping shoulders seems to save the point you were aiming at.

So you can swap shoulders and (with difficulty) hit someone far away that the bug was previously interfering with your shots.

Next time this bug happens try swapping shoulders and see what happens, this is either two simultaneous bugs or just one.