Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Black Screen Crash/freeze Mid Mission

BaconIcecream

Randomly in a mission my screen will go black, I lose audio and my monitor comes up with no signal. Have to reset my computer. It was happening ever couple of days or so and today it happened every time I tried to do a mission. I tried a bunch of stuff, fiddling with settings, changing to windowed and disabling multi thread rendering, updating drivers, verifying cache. After I verified cache it seemed to fix it, but it happened again just now. This problem only happens in Warframe, I just started playing again, never used to happen before.

Windows 7 64 bit

AMD fx 6100

GTX 560

Something similar happens to me, though the audio usually comes back but my monitor remains on no signal. If I CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up process manager and force-close Warframe, things return to normal. From my experience it seems to be the GPU driver crashing. However, considering our symptoms are a bit different, I don't know for sure if our problems root from the same issue.

Minor update, tried different power outlets, cleaned the dust out of the computer, ran stress tests in FurMark. No change, and the problem remains unique to Warframe. It happened in a menu for the first time today, however. PSU is a 550w Corsair less than a year old. Not against buying a new GPU but I'd like to know it's the problem first, I don't have a spare GPU to swap it out for though.

I have a similar issue. Whenever I run Void missions after a few minutes it appears that the game is closing/crashing, and it goes back to my desktop, but the game remains open, accepts input & plays sounds...it's just invisible. Like, I just see my desktop, but I can hear my weapons fire when I press attack, etc. Tried a bunch of different settings (fullsctree, windowed borderless, 64bit/32bit, dx10, 11, 9, multithreaded & not), can't make it stop happening. Very frustrating.

I'm having the exact same issue and symptoms.

Start a mission and within 3 minutes computer:

-freezes

-Black screen

-audio stuck in .5 second loop

-can't ctrl+alt+del

-computer restarts automatically (After system failure)

It's not giving me a memory dumb, so no BSoD.

Just did a Local game Cache verification, missing 4.8 GB of data?
Additional 800 MB through the Client.

I've heard recently the developers have been doing some Directx10 work?

Not sure.

WIn 7, Core i5, nVidia 660ti.

Edited by StrongLad

-freezes

-Black screen

-can't ctrl+alt+del

This is through steam right?

Steams local files on their server are ALWAYS behind than the clients version from DE.

Stop verifying through steam since it's useless. Just use the launcher's verification.

Just seems more like a system crash rather than a WF issue.

But no dumbs is kind of weird.

I know there are 2 kinds of dumps, for the BSOD and just for system application ones.

The 2nd one is located in C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports\WATCHDOG

I'm getting an similar issue. Getting at random times black screens although my audio/game keeps running.

It's like my amd driver crashes and then recovers although it can't recover it for the game.

But if I look at my system logs and such there's barely anything there except for a log that always the same when this happens.

LiveKernel errors. No ACEevent log errors (amd driver logs) just the shutdown and restart logs.

Only getting this issue with WF, not in any other game that I play, and I play like a dozen of games currently, even more intense ones.

Edited by SoulSpeed

I'm having this problem as well. If I try to log in with Intel Turbo Boost on it crashes right away, but if I log in without it I get through to loading a mission before it crashes. :/ Only happening with Warframe. I can still play all my other games just fine...

• 1 month later...

Hi i'm having this kind of problems too , the game running perfectly but yesterday or very early today ,  i got the black screen for unknow reason , the audio works but i can't even load my pseudo or anything else . If someone has a solution it would be helpfull . ( sorry for my bad english not my main language)

I'm getting this too...and I'm fairly certain its something with Warframe itself as prior to the 15.5.4 or 15.5.5 I wasn't having any issues with the game. At the same time, I'm easily able to play saints row 4 on higher settings for several hours without experiencing a crash that would indicate that its my video card or a power supply issue like I was originally assuming it was.

Regular missions I can do for about an hour before a crash and it seems like Archwing stuff is just an excuse to get my machine to lock up and restart before I get 30secs in.

I can't diagnose a BSOD cause there isn't one and I can't send in a crash report cause the game doesn't crash either...so I'm having a difficult time troubleshooting a cause.

my first post on forum is about bug :D so first ill say i love the changed valkyr moves (couple updates pased since that was changed but it still amaze me). To the point is that I maybe foud a glitch in that part course game tends to freeze when i use valkyr on survivals or some other longer sessions during hysteria animation, aroud 20-30 min. i cant send bug report after that so i leave a post here.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I got the same black screen randomly with any tilesets or weapons , even archwing missions solo or multi. I try physx ON/OFF , multi thread ON/OFF, downclocking gpu/memory and nothing changes. So i've stop play...because it piss me off. Hope they will find a fix.

ASUS P8P67 PRO rev 3.1

i7 2600k 3.8ghz

kingston 4go pc3-10600

gigabyte 660ti OC 320.49driver

Ive had this issue for long, it happens in different forms but one common symptom is black screen and signal loss from monitor. Im 100% certain its caused by GPU drivers crashing, as seen from Windows error logs, every crash adds a new "video device error". Sometimes it just crashes drivers and recovers, results in only 1 bccode 117 entry, sometimes its followed by a bccode 116 BSOD, like the most recent one I just had. When the BSOD happens it does not display the blue screen but it does restart my PC, BSOD always happens if sound loops during black screen. The non-BSOD may either crash the game and open the crash reporter or keeps the game running but without being able to see anything but desktop. Its also completely random, sometimes I can play for 2 hours straight without crash, sometimes I crash in 5 minutes.

Havent had this happen in any other game yet but its not a warframe specific crash either, it just seems to happen more in warframe than in other games.

My specs:

Intel i7 3770 3,4ghz

16gb RAM

Nvidia gtx670, latest driver

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

Edited by Kurnuttaja

-freezes

-Black screen

-can't ctrl+alt+del

I've heard recently the developers have been doing some Directx10 work?

Not sure.

WIn 7, Core i5, nVidia 660ti.

exactly same computer and exactly same errors

Ive had this issue for long, it happens in different forms but one common symptom is black screen and signal loss from monitor. Im 100% certain its caused by GPU drivers crashing, as seen from Windows error logs, every crash adds a new "video device error". Sometimes it just crashes drivers and recovers, results in only 1 bccode 117 entry, sometimes its followed by a bccode 116 BSOD, like the most recent one I just had. When the BSOD happens it does not display the blue screen but it does restart my PC, BSOD always happens if sound loops during black screen. The non-BSOD may either crash the game and open the crash reporter or keeps the game running but without being able to see anything but desktop. Its also completely random, sometimes I can play for 2 hours straight without crash, sometimes I crash in 5 minutes.

Havent had this happen in any other game yet but its not a warframe specific crash either, it just seems to happen more in warframe than in other games.

My specs:

Intel i7 3770 3,4ghz

16gb RAM

Nvidia gtx670, latest driver

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

I'm certain it's Warframe specific. Nothing else I play has problems with the graphics drivers. On another thread, someone said it wasn't just nVidia since they had an AMD card. So it's more than likely something with the Evolution Engine that they need to fix that's causing problems with both nVidia and AMD drivers.

I'm getting different crashes using different drivers personally. The latest GeForce drivers only partially crash and the engine keeps running and I have to force exit. The last stable drivers before that just plain crash and generate a report.

Edited by Ceryk

I'm certain it's Warframe specific. Nothing else I play has problems with the graphics drivers. On another thread, someone said it wasn't just nVidia since they had an AMD card. So it's more than likely something with the Evolution Engine that they need to fix that's causing problems with both nVidia and AMD drivers.

I'm getting different crashes using different drivers personally. The latest GeForce drivers only partially crash and the engine keeps running and I have to force exit. The last stable drivers before that just plain crash and generate a report.

Having same issues on my crossfire AMD Radeon HD 5800. Haven't tried 15.9 yet thou but the changelog doesn't mention anything about stability or anything of value to me in this situation.