Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Study] Technocyte: A Study Of The Infestation

(PSN)NearlyDedicated

ccSuLc1.png

This study has ended, as of October 15 @ 4:01 PM EDT. Contributors are listed below; none are on the PS4 console, so no rewards will be given. However, a new study moderator has joined the team (will be working with me shortly) to deliver PC REWARDS.

Contributors:

Blakrana

DoomStick

Komodo_Saurian

Aksyl

Thanks to all who participated!

OP (somewhat broken, not sure why).

"I've been infected...the shot you gave me, it's not working!"

~Hayden Tenno

NOTE: THE FOLLOWING THREAD HAS ERRORS. FOR SOME REASON, THE MAIN BODY PARAGRAPH HAS DISAPPEARED OVERNIGHT. IT WILL RETURN BY THIS AFTERNOON. SORRY!

Good evening, fellow Tenno Skum.

For those of you who don't already know me:

My (user)name is NearlyDedicated. I'm a Tenno in the field of Poleosomology, the study of Warframe. You can find some of my studies here (https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/317555-polemosomology-the-study-of-warframe/). These include the Tenno language, a study on the process of corruption, and most recently, a study on the Warframe power glyphs. Feel free to read up and discuss.

I finance searches (using in-game incentives, such as rare items and blueprints) to form community events. These events serve as studies into set topics, and often provide a look into Warframe's hidden lore. We have already uncovered evidence of Hayden Tenno being directly connected to the Warframes, the process of creating a Warframe, and definite proof of why the Orokin were slaughtered.

I'm here to finance another search: a look into the Technocyte virus. With your help, we could discover even more in the lore of Warframe. Not to mention there are prizes!

~NearlyDedicated

Poleosomology Megathread: (https://forums.warfr...rame/?p=3588243)

Welcome, Tenno. Today (er...night) marks the beginning of yet another study: this time, we look into the Technocyte virus. Your mission is relatively simple: describe the origins, possible history, and behavior(s) of the "infested" which ravage the Origin system. You should also note any characteristics of infested units, which could possibly provide a look into the physiology of an infected target. Do the modern infested share "metal skin" as the first T-Strain, shown in darksectOr? Why do the ancients look the way they do? 

Cover as much information as you can, and submit your research below. Rewards will be distributed as usual to the respective winning cell.

Good luck, Tenno!
~(PS4)NearlyDedicated

darksectOr?

Knowing from previous studies that there is a direct link to darksectOr in Warframe, it is recommended that you do some brief research on the possible origins of the virus there (although this isn't mandatory).

The theory on the validity of darksectOr in the Warframe lore is based on the repeated occurrence of his name (alone and in phrases) on several Warframes when translated from Tenno script.

Rewards

For now, rewards will only be distributed on PS4 due to a lack of Study Moderators. If you wish to read more about Study Moderators, see here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/321307-looking-for-study-moderators/

Note: ALL Warframe players can participate; only PS4 players will be rewarded (I don't have a PC account anymore!)
All Tenno participating, whether they win or not, will be featured in the Poleosomology Megathread under a "Contributors" section for this study.

The cell of four Tenno who provides a conclusive, reasonable theory which fits with Warframe's lore will be given the following rewards:

[1] Prime Component

[1] Stance Mod (Random, uncommon+)

Cite your sources, Tenno! Even the Plastids!

Event ends on October 15, 2014 @ 12:00 PM EDT

Poleosomology Megathread: (https://forums.warfr...rame/?p=3588243)

Questions? Leave it below, or PM me over the forums.

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

Bit of a short one, but here's a possible situation that I suspects been brought up elsewhere.

I'm going to posit that the Gas Element that we use, the single element common Infested are weakest against, may well be the chemical Enferon from dark Sector.

Enferon is described as a substance that is only lethal to individuals affected by the Technocyte Virus. For the average person, it's a mild irritant. In Warframe, this is similar to the Gas Element's damage bonuses; Gas is phenomenally potent against the Infested, but the contrast is that Grineer and Corpus suffer only -50% or -25% of the full damage.

Which leads to the following points of interest:

1) Tenno are the only known faction to use the Gas Element against Infested. This implies they have particular knowledge in combating this threat compared to the Grineer or Corpus, especially in order to reliably apply Enferon to their weaponry when combating Infested.

2) Due to the sealed nature of Warframes, it may be plausible this is to protect from prolonged usage of the substance.

2a) It may also be that this developed as the Virus evolved. In dark Sector, it was only via blood that the disease was contracted; however, in Warframe we know that the Infestation now generates spores (Infested Survival missions), which may well be virulent.

Further notes:

According to the Technocyte Virus article on the dark Sector wiki, the Infested destroyed life on Earth during the 'Great Plague'. Warframe's 'Mire' possesses a direct reference to this event, further strengthening the links between games, and thus, the nature of the Infested.

EDIT

Additional Notes

Having played through darkSector fully now, I feel it is also salient to note that the behaviour of the Enferon Shells upgrade is quite similar to how Gas behaves in Warframe; when you shoot an enemy with Enferon shells, a small gas cloud spawns on their person, creating a DoT effect. This DoT only applies to infected enemies, however in those instances I observed them sometimes just dying outright, seemingly at random, just after the gas clouds dissipated.

Taking a look at Gas, then the similarities are high when it comes to the proc effect: an explosion of Gas that causes DoT to victims over time, the only difference being that all enemies suffer from the Toxin effect. If anything, it may be that the Gas we know is a significantly more potent form as it penetrates all known shielding and breathing apparatus and does kill Grineer or Corpus.

Further, once Hayden acquires an armoured suit (aka Proto-Excalibur), he is no longer affected by Enferon grenades and hazards, supporting the prior assertion.

Sources:

Enferon - http://darksector.wikia.com/wiki/Enferon

Technocyte Virus - http://darksector.wikia.com/wiki/Technocyte_Virus

Gas Damage - http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Damage_2.0/Gas_Damage

Mire - http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Mire

Edited by Blakrana

Notice that in the void, the only infested unit is corrupted healer while the corrupted grineer and copus shows no sign of being infected.

My other theory is that the corrupted grineer and corpus are actually infected by the virus, changing their armour color to gold.

Thus, this leads me to believe that the neural sentry have some sort of control over the virus or is using the virus to control.

Notice that in the void, the only infested unit is corrupted healer while the corrupted grineer and copus shows no sign of being infected.

My other theory is that the corrupted grineer and corpus are actually infected by the virus, changing their armour color to gold.

Thus, this leads me to believe that the neural sentry have some sort of control over the virus or is using the virus to control.

All corrupted enemies have an orokin mechanism embedded into their faces. That's the control mechanism.

In addition I assume all infested will transform into an ancient at one point. Leapers, runners and the like make use of the bodies and mechanisms of corpus and grineer and seem to be a transitional stage.

I'm going to type up some stuff in a google doc and link it back here in a bit. I'll work on ironing out my citations, too, but I don't know the veracity of my sources very well aside from my own anecdotes and observations.

Edited by Aksyl

my post meant i don't have the slightest clue at what the point is of any of this fyi. 

Please visit the Polemosomology thread, linked above. It's a (semi) large community which leads studies into the hidden lore of Warframe. 

I do it because there are no new continents to explore; there are no new oceans in the world; we can't get off our own real planetary system...and DE has given me something to explore in detail - there are languages to decipher, there's history to be learned...it's fantastic.

Also, I'm 16. So it's not like I could be going anywhere (as of now) anyway.

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

Please visit the Polemosomology thread, linked above. It's a (semi) large community which leads studies into the hidden lore of Warframe. 

I do it because there are no new continents to explore; there are no new oceans in the world; we can't get off our own real planetary system...and DE has given me something to explore in detail - there are languages to decipher, there's history to be learned...it's fantastic.

Also, I'm 16. So it's not like I could be going anywhere (as of now) anyway.

alright i understand a bit more, it just dosn't interest me i'm afraid. at least not as much as you are. carry on :)