Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Give The Bow And The Arrow Seperate Stats

Netheroc

You shouldnt be forced to use slashing arrows on dread. Its not like one bow is only capable of firing one type of arrow. So i thought about splitting stats up like this:

The bow sets:
charge time and firing rate
recoil
arrow drop
force of the arrow(punch-through)
accuracy
Crit damage

The arrows set:
reload time
damage type
damage dealt
amount of ammo
Status chance
Crit chance

Thats just a concept i came up with, alternatively, allow us to change the arrows we fire from the bow, like let us fire puncture arrows with Dread or slash with Paris prime. Of course we need to have both bows in our inventory in order to switch the arrows around.

Edited by Netheroc

"You shouldn't be force to use slashing bullets in Tigris..."

Not really sure if that logic really holds up generally speaking. Bows are also fairly limited in their existence currently, their differentiation being solely their damage type with other minor stat differences. While your proposed idea for stat separation seems like a nice idea, all you would do is make it so there was one superior bow and one superior arrow that everyone would build upon. Mind you there are really only 3 bows in the game, as the others are just a MK-1 and Prime variant.

It's an interesting idea, but I can't imagine them going through with it. The Dread firing slash damage arrows is a feature of the weapon just as much as is the Grakata firing high-impact bullets or the Detron firing radioactive projectiles. It would likely be like opening a can of worms, where everyone starts asking for alternative ammo for every weapon just because they don't agree with what it comes with.

That being said the mod system, the currently underwhelming physical damage mods in particular, should have a much larger impact on those innate damage types to simulate what you're requesting without having to add an additional layer of complexity to weapon damage.

Realistically speaking, the only thing a bow does is provide kinetic energy to the arrow. The ARROW is what determines your accuracy, because it must fly properly. It doesn't matter how fancy your bow is, if your arrows aren't well made. The ARROW determines the terminal effects that will occur, because it is the thing delivering and focusing its energy on the target.  In a sense the arrow is the actual weapon, and the bow is just the tool  that arms it.

But that would make things really boring on the bows front.  So I'm okay with splitting the attributes between the two.  To make things really ambitious, what you do is make arrow types into mods that you equip on your bow.  So the Dread comes with broadhead slashy type arrows built in, but you can also add mods like "piercing arrow" that converts 90% of the bow's physical damage into piercing, or "ignis arrow" that convert 50% of the damage into Fire and adds a guaranteed fire proc.  You can add as many of these mods as you have an inclination and space for.  Then, during actual gameplay, you use the "Secondary fire" key binding (once it works properly) to cycle between all of the arrow types you have available.  So you bring your Dread and you're happily planting shafts through skulls, but then a heavily armored Eximus unit shows up. You could shoot them 5 times with your broadhead arrows, OR, you could switch to your armor piercing arrows and take them down in 1 shot.   This would allow archers to sacrifice some raw damage to gain battlefield flexibility.

But that's a pretty pipey pipe dream.

currently there is a bow that is best against each faction, dread for infested, paris for greneer.. and that other one who's name i cant remember for the corpus, your not forced to use any of them, no matter how much your dead does  the paris will still do more to greneer than the dread ever will..  and so on, switch your bow if you want to do another type of damage..

That seems a bit overly complicated and has a lot of potential to create more problems then it solves.

The simpler solution would be to buff straight dmg mods (puncture mods, slash mods etc) to levels that justify them taking up 9 mod points and make them worth using. Something that has been a long time coming.  

Solves both issues really. Single dmg mods get their time to shine and we get to make up for shortcomings in out favorite bow/weapons physical dmg types.

On a side note: Logically speaking bows don't really have stats to begin with, short of the amount of kinetic energy they can transfer to the arrow.

What your suggesting would really just end up in making bows a cosmetic feature.

Edit: Its also worth noting that dread and paris can one shot practically anything, even boyond lvl 30, when modded correctly regardless of their main dmg type.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

I'm sorry, but I am going to say I cannot agree separating the arrow from the bow. As mentioned, this makes no more sense than separating the bullet from the gun. Realistically, can you imagine the kind of chaos this would create if it took hold? Blueprints for bows and guns, blueprints for arrows and bullets, trying to find or make them all in the Foundary. There would have to be a whole new mechanic to figure out how projectile stats figure into weapon stats. I understand where you are coming from, but essentially what this would mean is a rework bigger than Damage 2.0 or Melee 2.0 combined. For the sake of the sanity of the game and the other players, if you want a bow that doesn't do slashing, grab yourself a Paris/Prime or a Cernos.

Would have to have something like this for all primaries, like an aura/stance slot, that would only effect the projectile(speed, width, puncture, maybe damage type, etc.), but not the stats of the weapon, or there would be no point in using a different weapon.

Anyway, most likely not going to happen and has been suggested before.

I'm sorry, but I am going to say I cannot agree separating the arrow from the bow. As mentioned, this makes no more sense than separating the bullet from the gun

I don't know if you're aware of this, but there are many KINDS of ammunition that can be loaded into guns.  I'm not talking about the caliber either.  A military 5.56mm jacketed steel bullet is not the same thing as a 5.56mm soft-pointed hunting bullet or a 5.56mm polymer-tipped varminting bullet.  Different bullets weigh different amounts, and respond best to different rifling rates. Different cartridges can also use different amounts of power for higher velocity, or more reliable speed for a given barrel length, or even under-loaded to make subsonic rounds which allows the use of sound suppressors to make firearms very very quiet.

My point is that video games in general are actually pretty simplistic for NOT separating the gun from the ammunition.

or as momaw said they can add more specific mods for the bow weapons to nudge them in the right direction.

Then we need some way to increase the amount of mods we can fit on, because noone will use utility mods ever if theres a damage mod smiling at him.

I don't know if you're aware of this, but there are many KINDS of ammunition that can be loaded into guns.  I'm not talking about the caliber either.  A military 5.56mm jacketed steel bullet is not the same thing as a 5.56mm soft-pointed hunting bullet or a 5.56mm polymer-tipped varminting bullet.  Different bullets weigh different amounts, and respond best to different rifling rates. Different cartridges can also use different amounts of power for higher velocity, or more reliable speed for a given barrel length, or even under-loaded to make subsonic rounds which allows the use of sound suppressors to make firearms very very quiet.

My point is that video games in general are actually pretty simplistic for NOT separating the gun from the ammunition.

Thank you, I am well aware that different kinds of ammunition can be chambered into the same gun. In the real world. This, however is a video game. A video game which, I may note, gives dozens of different types of guns with piercing damege (armor piercing rounds), impact damage (hollow pointseparatingshing (flechette or frangible). These types of damage are already figured into the weapons. Taking this damage and separating it out from the weapons would make all the stats and damage numbers on all the weapons that exist useless, and make ammo blueprints the most sought after things in the game, while the weapons would all be more or less interchangeable except for fire rate and accuracy. I certainly don't want to start a flame war, but your suggestion seems like a solution looking for a problem. These figures already exist in game - just pick up a gun that does what you want if you don't like what you are using.