Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lotus Pride - Rapier Concept Art

Eliasdrid

I've been some time with all these designs and ideas (specially since I started to draw The Lotus when bored) 

Point is, after some weeks and working on these between study and other stuff, I quite finished with the basics of what I call "Lotus Pride"

Being a Rapier, the Puncture damage should be higher than the Slash, and this last one the same way related to Impact damage. (Puncture>Slash>Impact)

I decided to not only made the rough base of the weapon but also add some colour to it. That's why, with the Lotus Colour Palette I painted it.

First time I ever drew this, not even close to all the progress I did (I also screwed up with the blade)

YU0g1Rf.jpg

Some sort of bp, I did two back looks because I wasn't sure how good was the first, taking in count how this sword would be held.

4PRl4i7.png

Coloured version, as I would like it, at least, idk. The Lotus colours from the palette are marked with a cross. Not a lot of variety on them, mostly similar colours but the sword looks good to me. 

D5EWHLE.png

And this is it, so far, maybe I add something or take something out but I'm happy with what I did.

Edited by Eliasdrid

nice concept, would you consider just an energy tip?; for a new stabbing stance, or are you considering that it uses machetes or sword stances?

I've been considering doing a stance for it, au contraire, it would use a Sword Stance. I need to get a bit more into the Spanish Swordplay Style.

I'd like to offer two suggestions to this beauty.

1) What do you think of very thin energy matrices lacing into the blade? They could light up when you channel!

2)What would you think of extending the designs o the blade further down the blade, or adding to them?

Fabulous concept. 

About the stance: what do you think of a series of very fast jabs like an enhanced version of what tranquil cleave does now, and then a forward dash with a hilt slam at the end as the first move?

*drools*

Edited by Evanescent

Wow!! this looks amazing!! DE plzz notice this!! only piece of criticism i can offer is maybe a cutout in the large portion of the guard. a guard that big makes it look a lil clunky and a lil heavy. cutouts would make it look more light like a rapier usually is. then again you are fighting heavily armored grineer and robots so idk? lol but other than that..i would pay plat for this

I've been considering doing a stance for it, au contraire, it would use a Sword Stance. I need to get a bit more into the Spanish Swordplay Style.

Hm.

Perhaps there can be different stances kind of representing different ways the weapon could be used? English, Spanish, Italian... it's rather unfortunate that there's still little information concerning what techniques were used back then.

Additionally, though rapiers are designed to be thrusting weapons, those with an edge can certainly be used to cut, if only to deter (or aggravate, depending on the situation) the enemy.

Edited by MageMeat

Call it the DexFlourish? lol

The first concept with the flared head is a lot more interesting than the plain skinny blade. It could do 70%/30% Puncture/Slash or whatever.

Or keep the skinny blade for this sword and use the slashy blade on a new weapon.

Edited by DarkTails

only piece of criticism i can offer is maybe a cutout in the large portion of the guard. a guard that big makes it look a lil clunky and a lil heavy. cutouts would make it look more light like a rapier usually is. then again you are fighting heavily armored grineer and robots so idk?

Don't forget what lore says about the oxium (ultralight metal)

Besides, a blade's weight matters the most only when it's shifted along the edge, and as it is right now it's perfect for stabbing, as there's more control over the tip's direction against the wind (or so I think)

Perhaps there can be different stances kind of representing different ways the weapon could be used? English, Spanish, Italian... it's rather unfortunate that there's still little information concerning what techniques were used back then.

Or to make life a lil easier some different combos in one stance depicting the different countries' stances

I'd like to offer two suggestions to this beauty.

1) What do you think of very thin energy matrices lacing into the blade? They could light up when you channel!

2)What would you think of extending the designs o the blade further down the blade, or adding to them?

Fabulous concept. 

About the stance: what do you think of a series of very fast jabs like an enhanced version of what tranquil cleave does now, and then a forward dash with a hilt slam at the end as the first move?

*drools*

1) Yes, I'm actually working on changing it to something like that, I need to change a bit the handle, honestly. It will take some time, since I have no time myself, but as soon as I have the new design for the blade, I will update/edit the main post.

2) Mmmmm, not sure if I follow but I'm thinking of a skin, I need to work a bit more on the designs of this anyways. The base of the sword will stay the same but I may change some few things when I can.

Thank you very much for your suggestions, is very appreciated. And the stance idea sounds nice, I will see what I can do! I love sketching poses and that sounds like a good challange.

Hm.

Additionally, though rapiers are designed to be thrusting weapons, those with an edge can certainly be used to cut, if only to deter (or aggravate, depending on the situation) the enemy.

Mmmm maybe there should be stances representing them? Idk.

The Lotus Pride does have edge to cut, but the movements set is more about stabbing...I haven't sorted all this out yet...

[EDITED] Talking to someone who does know about swords, more than I do, myself, Rapiers have a gravity center that allows the user to do good movements with the tip of the blade, therefore, the handle should be made of a very light and resistant metal/material

Call it the DexFlourish? lol

The first concept with the flared head is a lot more interesting than the plain skinny blade. It could do 70%/30% Puncture/Slash or whatever.

Or keep the skinny blade for this sword and use the slashy blade on a new weapon.

Nah...Lotus Pride has always been its name.

The flared head is on the wrong side of the sword...that's why I primarly changed it, also, rapiers do not have flared heads so nope, I could work in a new melee weapon with flared head...don't see why not...but not now, maybe when my exams are over and I do have time to really think about making more concepts.

Edited by Eliasdrid

• 2 months later...