Whispers in the Walls: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove Energy Drops, Give All Frames Passive Energy Regen, And Base Energy Cost Off Of Ability Rank

CaveCricket48

Changes:

It's safe to say that you will at least encounter 1 energy orb every 25 seconds, and one orb drop refills at a minimum of 25 energy, so

1 energy per second regeneration.

sounds like a good base rate.

Now that everyone has energy regeneration, remove energy orb drops from enemies. The ones that drop from crates and lockers can stay.

Ability casting energy cost increases with ability rank. Example:

Rank 0 Slash Dash costs 6.25 energy

Rank 1 Slash Dash costs 12.5 energy

Rank 2 Slash Dash costs 18.75 energy

Rank 3 Slash Dash costs 25 energy

Now, what issues do these changes address, exactly?

1) New players.

People just starting out in warframe have a hard time using their abilities because they completely lack energy capacity and efficiency mods, and won't have Energy Syphon. Combined with their abilities being extremely weak due to the mods being under-ranked and not having any power strength mods, abilities will rarely get the job done, meaning they have to replace quality with quantity. Except... They can't. Because their Slash Dash costs 25 energy and does 150 damage, while a veteran player's will cost 6.25 energy and does ~790 damage.

If everyone had passive energy regen, at least the new players can hide behind a corner while their energy slowly recharges. And, with their unranked abilities, they may be weaker, but they'll be able to use them more often.

2) Ult spam.

... To an extent. Don't get me wrong, I like ult spam. I get tired of the monotonous chatter of gun fire of most games, and sometimes I just want to finish a mission quickly. However, it's a little too much when you get more energy after casting an ult because the enemies killed drop enough energy orbs to refill your entire energy pool.

With energy orbs removed, you have to be more conservative with your energy, or you can still ult spam all you want as long as you bring the equipment, such as energy restores or a Trinity friend with energy vampire.

Edited by CaveCricket48
  • Like 2

..  Energy Shypon Aura..   probably one of the most used auras in the game....

_Edit_

P.s.

To add to that.. simple thing..    Energy Regen...  as a passive..  might sound good in theory.   But if coupled with Energy Shypon.   Streamline... Fleeting Ex..   And well you will have Ult Spaming to way worse degree then we do now....

I propose... instead, that the base ability.. the Skill tagged to Key 1  not have a power requirement instead..  So that we always have something to help defend ourselves between reloading.   (assuming its equiped to your frame, and not forma'd away)

Edited by Tveoh

1) New players.
People just starting out in warframe have a hard time using their abilities because they completely lack energy capacity and efficiency mods, and won't have Energy Syphon. Combined with their abilities being extremely weak due to the mods being under-ranked and not having any power strength mods, abilities will rarely get the job done, meaning they have to replace quality with quantity. Except... They can't. Because their Slash Dash costs 25 energy and does 150 damage, while a veteran player's will cost 6.25 energy and does ~790 damage.

If everyone had passive energy regen, at least the new players can hide behind a corner while their energy slowly recharges. And, with their unranked abilities, they may be weaker, but they'll be able to use them more often.

This sounds like it would seriously effect casters to a huge extent. 

With energy orbs removed, you have to be more conservative with your energy, or you can still ult spam all you want as long as you bring the equipment, such as energy restores or a Trinity friend with energy vampire.

You can bring your energy restores and you'll be fine. New players don't have the bulk of credits and materials to craft a large number of restores, you do.

just have all abilitys on separate timers, by defult (excalibur) each abilitys cooldown is equal to thier current energy cost, and then casters have lower cooldowns and tanks have higher cooldowns. no more spamming. mabie enemies have a 1% chance to drop a cooldown reseting orb.

_Edit_

P.s.

To add to that.. simple thing..    Energy Regen...  as a passive..  might sound good in theory.   But if coupled with Energy Shypon.   Streamline... Fleeting Ex..   And well you will have Ult Spaming to way worse degree then we do now....

I propose... instead, that the base ability.. the Skill tagged to Key 1  not have a power requirement instead..  So that we always have something to help defend ourselves between reloading.   (assuming its equiped to your frame, and not forma'd away)

With a base energy regen cost and an entire team with energy syphon, it would be 3.4 energy per second. Meaning, it would take roughly 7.35 seconds to cast an ult.

Versus casting an ult every second in a survival mission because 3-5 energy orbs drop every time you ult.

The 1 ability costing 0 energy sounds like a good solution though.

You can bring your energy restores and you'll be fine. New players don't have the bulk of credits and materials to craft a large number of restores, you do.

It would completest break the flow of the combat, also in the situations were "Ult spamming" is an accepted technique it is not possible to stand still for even a second. 

I am all for limiting ult spam in lower level missions were it is not needed but not higher levels. 

It would completest break the flow of the combat, also in the situations were "Ult spamming" is an accepted technique it is not possible to stand still for even a second. 

I am all for limiting ult spam in lower level missions were it is not needed but not higher levels. 

What is a scenario where ult spamming is required, and you must be mobile 100% of the time?

If you plan your team composition accordingly you can stay in the same position indefinitely.

Wouldn't this effectively turn them to cooldown times? And AFAIK DEvs wanted the powers to be valued things used tactically, rather than spammed in a precise sequence of timed button presses.

Right now they're spammed every 1 second due to the amount of energy you get.

Very tactical.

Simple solution: No, won't happen. Current system is fine, nobody cares about newbies.

That is the attitude taken on by most players.

I would love for this system, but our abilities need to scale up to match, otherwise, 1 ult and most of us caster frames and useless for the next 100 seconds (assuming energy efficiency stuff etc. is removed too). Even if not, 25 seconds (at cap) is too long in some cases when we really need to recast.

Edited by Semshol

I like the idea. I've always had a bit of an issue with the current energy system because it can be extremely random at times. Sometimes the energy simply won't drop, leaving you crippled for a big part of the mission or even forcing a mission failure. And hey, if people are concerned about caster frames, no one is saying that energy regen couldn't be variable based on frame type. Casters like Ember could get super fast energy regen while frames with less emphasis on ability spam would regen slower. Finally, it would also improve the new player experience.

I dont know any other game that has so broken energy skill usage system.

1. We have to use orokin reactor in our frames (so basically its energy source) but it doesnt affect our energy level only increase maximum mod capacity. So we have an ancient, Orokin reactor thats do nothing more than allow us to put more mods without forma (I know that many of you could not agree with that but we can use warframe with this golden potato or without it and for example redirection which could be powered by this Orokin reactor on 10 rank provides us the same shield capacity and recharge speed without using reactor. (Complete nonsense...)

2. Usually all games have got something like mana and mana regeneration. In Warframe we have got base energy which can be considered us mana level, but real problem is regeneration. There are 5 ways to increase it: Energy Siphon(passive) / energy pods from dojo lab / jumping on orokin balls (works only in orokin void with prime warframes) / Trinity Energy vampire and the last one and most important : energy balls from killing enemies. Why superior technically warframes are forced to use energy dropped from corpus, grinier or even infested. It looks like warframes are basically useless without external power source (What  is terrible stupid). We should have got passive regeneration to recharge used energy instead cursed with RNG energy balls drops.

3. Now we have got all abilities spammable and we use them in every situation without thinking of consequences, the one thing that limits us is energy level. What you think about this ? Casting an ability uses energy, energy flow and internal warframe systems resistances etc. causes overheat for warframe ability so basically this could be considered as Cooldown. Mods in warframe could affect:
-Maximum overheat lvl (how many abilities you could cast at once or in short period of time)
-Heat dissipation system (how fast your systems reduce their heat lvl -------> Cooldown)
-Reduces internal systems resistances( Skill efficiency)
Power strenght mods could increase energy use---> energy use increase the ammount o Heat produced by using ability.
This could completly remove spamming system from game,maybe skills would be used more tactically and we could forget about running and looking for energy balls, and is much more logical than current system.

I know its a wall of text, but the current system is completly illogical for me, I know warframe is  some sorf of SF coop game but there is much more fiction than real science here. Maybe i could wrote more about it but i dont have enought time at the moment. i tried to post most absurd things for me. Maybe i missed something, so please write your opinion do you agree or disagree with my post :)

PS. sorry for grammar mistakes :)

I don't think this is a great idea, because the good thing about our current energy system is more enemies will generally mean more energy, so players can use abilities more as there are more threats. I wouldn't be opposed to some kind of change, like perhaps if killing an enemy gave a set amount of energy back, as long as it accounts for the amount of enemies players are fighting.

• 1 month later...

I like this idea because it accomodates many playstyles. Some examples:

-Those who constantly want to use energy need only pace themselves a bit as their energy replenishes.

-Those who want to spam when the time is right need only bide their time(with the BIG difference that now after the spam they cant rinse and repeat by picking up orbs).

Edited by Jeigo

How about a big, fat, resounding, NO

Why is that, too busy spamming Molecular Prime?

Energy should be player managed. All DE has to do right now is lower Energy Orb drops and we are ALL screwed.

Edited by DSpite