Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Ability Mods: Coming Changes

[DE]Rebecca

Equipping Warframe Abilities has undergone enormous change since our Closed Beta days. From Skill Trees to Ability Mod Cards, the systems surrounding equipping Abilities has seen its share of drastic changes. A new system is coming with our next major update, read on to learn about the next plan for Warframe Abilities!

To begin, let’s take a quick look at some dev philosophy:

Each Warframe has 4 unique abilities. The current Ability Mod system means players sometimes sacrifice an Ability (or more) in favour of a different mod, leaving a Warframe’s power set incomplete. The next phase of Warframe Abilities aims to maintain a complete Ability set for every Warframe that is based on progression, while offering more choice for modding. Fundamentally, this new system improves versatility without having to sacrifice any Abilities.

This is all going to happen in the following 2 ways:

1. Ability Mods are being removed from the drop tables.
  2. Ability Mods are being removed from the game.

Item Number 1 has been a long time coming and will feel unsurprising to many, but Item Number 2 is a relatively new decision we’re making for a number of reasons.

So what exactly does removing the Ability Mods entail? Read on, Tenno!

Unlock and Upgrade Abilities through play.  

Warframe Abilities will now be unlocked as you rank up your Warframe. Dev has confirmed the following to be the latest information on how to Rank up individual Abilities:

Abilities increase in rank as you rank up your Warframe. It is no longer based on per-ability usage. 

The ‘Rank’ of Warframe Abilities will now be determined by your use of any given ability. Simply put: Using Abilities earns XP/Affinity toward that Ability to rank it up!

Let’s use Banshee as an example:

A Banshee player begins a mission with an unranked Sonic Boom. Banshee casts Sonic Boom 10 times in that mission, ranking the Ability from unranked to Rank 1. The journey to Rank 2 will involve more use of this Ability,.

NOTE: If you had already maxed or ranked Ability Mods, you will not be affected by this. This applies for newly acquired Warframes post Update 15.

NOTE 2: The number of casts required is subject to change and only an example in this context.

All Warframes will have 9 total Mod Slots.

Less is more. Many players look at their Warframe Upgrade screen and see 4 Ability Slots that taunt them as potential ‘wasted space’. This coming change will have the following result: you no longer have to fill those precious Mod Slots with Warframe Ability Mods. Because we are removing Ability Mods, we will also be adjusting the total number of Warframe Slots.

All Warframes will now have a total of 9 slots: 1 for Auras and 8 for Mods. None of the Mod Slots will have the “Ability Polarity" because of the removal of Ability mods. The 4 previous Ability Polarity slots have been changed to 2 unassigned slots.

What about my existing Ability Mods?

All existing Ability Mods won’t be rendered useless - they will be converted into Fusion Cores. Stay tuned for more information on the specifics of this conversion.

What if I Forma’d/Polarized the 2 slots being removed?

Any Forma spent on Polarizing these 2 slots will be reimbursed.

What if I Forma’d/Polarized the 2 Ability slots that are staying?

If you Polarized these slots, the Polarization choice will stay. If you did not Polarize these slots, they will have a default unassigned Polarity.

Which 2 slots are being removed?

The slots being removed depends on where your Ability Polarities are located. For example, if you have swapped your Top Left default Ability Polarity slot somewhere in the middle of the Mod slot Layout, the position of your current Ability Polarity Slot is the one that will be removed.

If you haven't changed around the location of your Ability Polarity Mod slots, we are simply removing 2 of the 4, the top left and top right.

This question should answer concerns from players who have Swapped around Polarities and are worried we are 'just removing the leftmost column of slots' in a blanket script and not considering swaps.

Edited by DERebecca
Updated info

Wait hang on, so in the end will there only be 6 regular mod slots + the aura? Will we just not have the other 2 slots that were previously abilities?

Never mind; I got confused.

To reiterate:

Initially we had 10 slots, 4 of them for abilities. Those ability slots are turning into 2 regular mod slots. So we are technically losing 2 slots, so 10-2=8. For some reason I thought that we initially had 8 slots, but hey we're all good now.

Edited by ROSING

In part i find this change to be Awesome!

But what about all the builds that are going to get ruined?

Is there a way to deactivate certain disliked abilities? In certain frames we only use one or two because the rest does not fit our play style or simply because we dislike them...is there a way to do that?

Edited by Bazools

Question:  what if you've maxed an ability, but don't have the warframe yet?  I have about nine warframes sitting on the foundry, many of them with every ranking of a number of their abilities.  Will I have to level those abilities through play, or will they be somehow gifted to my warframe upon my acquisition of it?

Edited by fadeinlight

I would like to propose something regarding Ability Mods being turned into fusion cores:

Please DO NOT give different levels of fusion cores based on the rank or rarity of the mod being converted.

While I know this is an unpopular thing to say, and unfair to those who spent cores and credits upgrading their ability mods, I feel that it's a good way to avoid all of the drama that came back during the Steel Charge refunding debacle. If people know there will be different compensation for higher level mods, all they're going to do is try to jack up their fusion core gain by stockpiling and ranking up mods again.

All Warframes will have 9 total Mod Slots.

Less is more. Many players look at their Warframe Upgrade screen and see 4 Ability Slots that taunt them as potential ‘wasted space’. This coming change will have the following result: you no longer have to fill those precious Mod Slots with Warframe Ability Mods. Because we are removing Ability Mods, we will also be adjusting the total number of Warframe Slots.

All Warframes will now have a total of 9 slots: 1 for Auras and 8 for Mods. None of the Mod Slots will have the “Ability Polarity" because of the removal of Ability mods. The 4 previous Ability Polarity slots have been changed to 2 unassigned slots.

What if I Forma’d/Polarized the 2 slots being removed?

Any Forma spent on Polarizing these 2 slots will be reimbursed.

What if I Forma’d/Polarized the 2 Ability slots that are staying?

If you Polarized these slots, the Polarization choice will stay. If you did not Polarize these slots, they will have a default unassigned Polarity.

I'm confused, are we losing 2 slots or keeping all 8?

My bad, I cant math haha.

Edited by Ghostars