Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, What Does Limbo Actually Mean?

SoulEchelon

It seems there are alot of folks that don't know what this word actually means. Allow me to educate you.

The word "Limbo" means a few different things. The first, and perhaps most obvious to many people, is this:

1024px-Folk_Music_%26_Limbo_Dance_C_IMG_

This is a type of "dance contest" that originated in Trinidad. When most think of the word "limbo" it's what this beauty is doing right here. However...there's another definition of Limbo.

limbo-title.jpg

Wait wait no, that's the GAME Limbo. (Pretty awesome game btw)

No, the TRUE definition of Limbo...is this.

Follower_of_Jheronimus_Bosch_Christ_in_L

Okay even I don't know what the F*** is going on here. I'll let Wikipedia answer this.

"In the theology of the Catholic Church, Limbo (Latin limbus, edge or boundary, referring to the "edge" of Hell) is a speculative idea about the afterlife condition of those who die in original sin without being assigned to the Hell of the Damned. Limbo is not an official doctrine of the Catholic Church. Medieval theologians, in western Europe, described the underworld ("hell", "hades", "infernum") as divided into four distinct parts: Hell of the Damned (which some call Gehenna), Purgatory, Limbo of the Fathers or Patriarchs, and Limbo of the Infants."

Okay that only made some sense. And what does this even mean when it pertains to Warframe and its newest....warframe? Well the answer is simpler than all that. The term "Limbo", as stated in all that church jargin above, is that it's a realm between realms. A state of being between Heaven and Hell, or a place where one waits to be judged, or our living plane of existence and death, or...when it pertains to Warframe, the physical realm and the Void.

We know at this point that the Void doesn't exist within the confines of traditional "Space". It's a whole different plane of existence, a different realm, a different place of being. It's why, when you zone into a Void mission, you don't kick down a Grate Prime and appear from the ceiling. You literally "Phase" into the mission. This is the void. This is the other realm, the other dimension, the "Hell" or "Heaven" or other place of existence.

And, what did the devs say in that last devstream about our newest warframe...?

(Video not embedding; probably due to all the pictures. Just click the link~)

http://youtu.be/QYS_W6VtdJQ?t=16m8s

Not sure if timestamps work when embedding videos. If not, then simply click the link instead. It starts right when Scott begins talking about our "Void Magician".

Scott states "He kind of exists between the Void and the Real World."

Steve then goes on to explain how he used one of the abilities. It was pretty obvious - he explained how the Void stretched out from his warframe, and enemies shooting at him couldn't hit him because they were in the "real world". An enemy walked into that void bubble and he was able to attack said enemy.

So what does that all mean? Simple. The "Void Magician" warframe can create and control void dimensional pockets while at the same time effect the "real world". He basically has one foot in the "real world" and one foot in the Void. He's In Between worlds. He is in Limbo.

Thus...the name Limbo fits.

Family-guy-the-more-you-know.jpg

TL;DR Limbo is a state of balance. Simply put it's balance between our world and the void. Hence he is Limbo.

Edited by SoulEchelon

Thank you for this dude you get a +1 honestly tired of peoples complaints about his name and top hat, but hey what do you expect its the new warframe so of course people will whine about it.

Edited by Bestfly

Woulda totally settled for the name Samedi too, even though it's a weaker fit.

Yeah, if he had Nekros' powers it would be better, but as is I think Limbo is the perfect bit.

Also: why is this in off-topic? I WANT THIS MOVED TO GENERAL CHAT SO THE WORLD CAN SEE ITS GLORIOUS TRUTH!

I surprised that this never came to some peoples mind. The moment he said "Limbo", after I finished thinking about the dance, I know this was what he was referring to.

Yup. The dance tends to be the first thing people think of for sure. I can't blame anyone for that. What I'm surprised about though is that there really does seem to be alot of people who don't know what the real definition of "Limbo" is.

TL;DR Limbo is a state of balance. Simply put it's balance between our world and the void. Hence he is Limbo.

I'll add your TL;DR at the end of my post.

limbo comes from the latin word limbus which simply means border

Yeah that's the base definition, and it still fits what the Void Magician is anyway. But it wouldn't have been an awesome post if I just said its latin definition. The only picture I could've used would be some picture frame with an arrow pointing to its inner edge. Nah, I'd rather go for the millions of naked guys in some weird snake-like path crawling over each other to enter a huge gaping mouth.

Edit: Not sure how this is "off topic" but eh!

Edited by SoulEchelon