Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing: Heavy Use Of Perspective Distorsion

DSpite

NOTE: Not sure how to do direct image links properly, so I might fiddle with them to get them right.

---

Time to fess up DE.

I thought my medications were causing it, but now I have Photographic evidence.

So lets begin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_%28photography%29

EDIT: My current take is that basically DE shrunk our Frames to the size of a Sentinel, and kept the levels the same dimensions as the "normal" game, so we get a Forced Perspective effect, because our brains still think our Frames are still human sized. Up until the point we fly close to something and the magic breaks.

Lets see what happens in game:

That pipe looks like maybe the size of your leg, then close up you discover you could climb inside it.

VTofh7M.jpg

P3emHU2.jpg

That distant door looks like, well, a door. Then you discover you are barely the height of the door border.

FNhr4Bw.jpg

vC9lBID.jpg

What looks like a small hatch the size of your face on some scenery turns out to be large enough to fly through.

Pv7RPOp.jpg

jojfLk6.jpg

And the ultimate proof. Since DE had to make the "enemy units" still easy to see and not, unlike out Warframes scale down to look like Tinkerbells when they fly more then 20 meters away, they had to change the enemy default size to stay large enough to shoot, so when you close in face to face, this happens.

It's just us being smaller. I don't think there is any math based magic scaling in game happening, otherwise we would get some fish-eye lensing effects. We are all pixies just flying in space.

bWF5Ly8.jpg

Yea, Corpus men that are 3 times our size, with Flux Rifles Dera's bigger then our Archwings guns.

Edited by DSpite

Bro, it's the nano machines that shrink us down to make sure impact to objects isn't as bad.

But yeah.....why DE...why

Why? To make the place feel "bigger". If this Focal Length shenanigans were removed, it would probably feel like we are fighting in a small room once again.

EDIT: This also explains now why it feels like the enemy flying units close in to face distance at warp speeds. They actually DONT. They are really close to use, but the massive Focal Length makes them look REALLY far away to start with.

Edited by DSpite

That's a Dera, not a flux Rifle.

On topic: This is the only thing I dislike about Archwing.

Yep, I like everything else.

But nothing it more disappointing than realizing the entire world is screwed up in scale, it makes it all feel like a bunch of toys or something.

Also, when you kill crewmen with melee, they explode into fireballs as if we're in some terrible action movie.

That thing in the 5th and 6th picture is a re-used prop from normal missions...here it is normal sized

iqP2Rnt.jpg

The size shift is definitely noticeable in the Corpus missions, mainly because of the giant crewmen and all the re-used assets. The Grineer missions are better, you've got no point of reference so everything seems the correct size.

wow lol thats hilarious.... but serious de please fix

Well, the whole problem is that it CANT be fixed. If you remove the perspective effect, you effectively break the entire effect they tried to get.

My best guess, if you turn it off, it would be like getting shrunk to the size of a bird, and then let loose to fly around your own house, because things 20 meters away will re aquire proper perspective and look massive, rather then far away.

In effect, we are playing on "normal" size Warframe levels, but our frames have been shrunk down to be smaller then our Sentinels.

Edited by DSpite

Wait wait. Is it possible that it has anything to do with the Field of View? Because while enemies are larger, I am pretty sure I stood next to that door and it wasn't that huge.

In fact I'm gonna check this now!

Nevermind. It's giant land regardless of FOV.

EDIT: the generator room has http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/29598047007117058/A71E300EDAB44310C0C0994EF4BD078E37912687/'>bridges with doors that are in the correct scale.

Edited by The_Doc

Wow, I'm not shocked but definitely disappointed.

Last time I logged in my wings still had quite a few hours left to finish, but this just saddens me greatly. Those giant Corpus and that HUGE Dera look ridiculous! What am I doing with my life... I need to get a job and a real hobby, maybe start taking drugs again, I don't know anymore.

fun fact: we aren't tiny, its just that they render the warframe infront of everything

rub yourself against a fellow tenno and aim down the signs, you'll get the effect that hes massive, or if you're cool, that you're standing on his sentinel

so yeah, we just look small because we're rendered infront of everything

but still, fix this S#&$ DE

fun fact: we aren't tiny, its just that they render the warframe infront of everything

rub yourself against a fellow tenno and aim down the signs, you'll get the effect that hes massive, or if you're cool, that you're standing on his sentinel

This.

It's based on viewmodels.

Many many videogames do this.

Next time you play TF2 or Battlefield, try to get as close to an enemy as you can, then compare the size of your in-game hands and arms to theirs.

You might be surprised to find you are a dwarf.

That's just how viewmodels work.

What do you purpose DE does? shrink the corpus?  that would be an awful idea- now you can hardly see them.  Smoke and mirrors are fine by me in the world of entertainment.  (adding corpus ships and putting these rangers as another ground unit entirely would be nice though- for all we know the rangers are placeholders, in fact most of the corpus enemies seem like placeholders compared to the Grineer ones)

Heh, take a look of this screen shot. this is an ammo restore that you know the size of.

Not my screenshot, I have not even tried archwing yet.

ObBp0BC.jpg

We have same problem in real life, OP.

No actually it's not. Because I was touching the object I was talking about. That image is a Warframe standing away from people, and then when you approach, you find out that those people are NOT 20 meters away, but 500 meters, and you fit in the palm of their hand.

That's the entire point, the perspective is wrong because we assume that the Frames are human sized, when they are in fact tiny.

In your image you are making the assumption the Warframe is human sized and giving me some short distance long distance explanation. I'm telling you the Warframe is at the right distance, ie 10 meters away from those guys, but the Warframe is the size of a bird, so when you get closer you instantly realize the problem.

EDIT: I suddenly want this game.

Edited by DSpite

To be honest, I was actually expecting the Archwing maps to turn out this way before it came out.

I figured that if size ratios were maintained, it would've been seriously taxing on computers, because the draw distance is orders of magnitude farther than in standard missions.

The Crewman thing is a little wonky, to be certain. But I really don't take much issue with the size of the assets (nor even reused assets).

No offense, but, I don't really understand if your thread is a complaint thread or not. Please note that I don't mean complaint as whiny, just as negative feedback.

-big &#! ammo restore-

That's hilarious. But I imagine that they're working on rescaling some of the enemy and item models in that case.

Edited by Otenko