Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Old Content And The Future Of Warframe.

grillv20

Aura alerts are extremely cute when 80% of the auras are completely pointless.

Remember when Artifacts became Auras and then Auras became something that gave us more points to spend on mods? Remember around last year when they introduced more aura mods from one of the events? Will we ever see a rework in how the aura system works as far as getting actual useful auras? What about making them more available to the general public. 

What was that game mode again?

Remember nightmare mode? Remember when they said that they were going to have leader boards for that then changed their minds? There are reasons to DO nightmare mode but there is literally NO reason to do them besides getting a couple mods that quite literally have a 1% drop rate. Do people actually ENJOY doing something this repetitive for a chance at something that is this astronomically low? 

Source: http://warframe.wikia.com 

Rejection

Interception. words you never hear when playing interception. "Man I wanna do that again!"

Tenno broom closet

The Tenno Lab in the Dojo was a rushed job and its entirely too small and stupid looking. Like holy crap we get this entire dojo to run around in and then we get to the Tenno Lab and expect to see something cool and what do we get? Its a janitor's closet. Totally hilarious. Take a look at all the other faction related dojo rooms and then take a look at the Tenno one. Its like I'm actually on bath salts every time.

Infested zoidbergs

Why do infested ancients look like aquatic tentacle monsters with dream catcher's on their backs while everything else looks like an actual...INFESTATION? Like every other infested creature looks right besides these. It was seriously better when they were just bigger versions of the chargers. At least then they looked like something infested and not actual aliens. We know that the infested are not aliens so stop making them look like aliens. They're a technocyte virus not an alien. 

The Void

The void. Originally introduced back in update 8 it was supposed to be this "secret location." It turned out to not really be secret and you would get keys and there was quite literally a giant key symbol on your HUD as soon as you logged in. So basically right out the gate on this one they had what sounded like a great idea but ultimately it turned into a nightmare. From update 8 (May 23rd 2013) all the way up to update 15 today we have this disgusting cancerous growth that we call The void. Here in the void you can find the same tileset each time with every game mode imaginable. The void is home to many items that people can rip and tear pieces of their own bodies off over.

For example:

6 warframes. 4 drops needed to build each one.

21 different weapons with building materials ranging from 2-4 pieces for each weapon. 

Sounds like fun right? Now think for a second. Some of these drops have a 1% drop rate. Now imagine just running the same tileset over and over and over and over and over and there you have endgame for warframe! This is it folks. This is the primed version of these weapons. Slightly better copies of the original weapons. The best part about all of this is that you can't change the gold accents on any of the stuff either because of the stubborn art director. 

Derelicts

These are the same tile-sets as the void but they're all overtaken by infested and run down and gloomy + they have these dragon vaults that require 4 people with proper keys to coordinate  together to get through + a big golem boss if you can scrape together the coordinates from doing all this, which isnt hard unless you want the Nekros warframe then good luck on getting the right things to drop. Overall not much to complain with here. Its not packed full of crap like its counterpart, though the mods you get from the vaults can be exceedingly rare (1% drop rates are really cool apparently)

Finally the art direction

Where do I start with this? I really liked the original warframes how they looked simplistic but futuristic. Then stuff started happening. We started getting warframes like Hydroid that looks like a big blob. Got Zephyr which was originally much more sleek looking, an idea presented by a member of the community with a full on graphical design. Looked like something warframe but ended up being this bird looking thing with chicken feet with overly detailed...EVERYTHING. Not going to complain about Valkyr because at least its not trying to be something completely out there. We got Oberon which I am completely ok with because again its not trying hard to be something. It has horns and thats really about it. They didn't out right say it was DEERFRAME.

Now we have a MAGICIAN FRAME! Never in the history of WF have they put something into the game that was based off of something human in appearance already. I don't want to see a Pizza Tossing warframe anywhere in the future let alone a stupid magician frame. Whats next? Ninja Turtle Frame? I can understand them modeling warframes after animals to an extent but sticking bird limbs and magician hats and pirate hats and parrots in the game is just tacky.

The original Warframe of about 2 years ago was very serious with itself and now I'm not sure anymore. It honestly feels like they're making fun of its customers with all these stupid beam cannons and over powered weaponry and top hat tipping dumb crap. If this game is in beta then why are they treating it like its a joke?

Overall gameplay and the future.

The game as it sits has not really changed in terms of its core gameplay. Melee is really the only thing thats seen a huge improvement. Everything else really has remained the same. We sprint towards a goal in any mission and its done. Its been over a year and a half and we have yet to see stealth. They don't even bring it up in streams anymore. It used to be brought up constantly but they don't care about it anymore. All they seem to care about is pumping out new content and forgetting about it and stuffing more crap into the void for people. The cycle for content goes like this

Create new content > fix bugs for new content > Create new content > fix bugs> Create new content > bugs

Nothing ever really receives any polish. The only things that have received and real polish has been the melee system. the damage system and the UI. Everything has remained the same, but now you have more levels and more weapons and warframes and bland modes of play. Oh and we got a stamina system, boy that one SURE WAS FUN! GLAD THATS IN THE GAME!

I just don't get it. I love warframe but I also hate it because I don't find it any fun. I really like the devs as people but I honestly don't think they have a clue. They say the game is in beta, but yet all they do is create new content without actually improving on the core of their game at all. They say that their mantra is to always be making new stuff. Whats the point of pouring sugar all over a hot turd. Why not just try to work with what you have and take a step back and say "What can we do to make this better?" Without stacking more crap on to it. There are reasons why warframe is not a hugely popular game that can retain a huge amount of players. Every person that I know IRL that I have tried to get to play this game vehemently calls the game bad and asks me why I play it and I'm really starting tounderstanding why.

Edited by grillv20

I'm seeing very common trends of shallow and undeveloped frameworks lately. 

Nightmare mode, kubrows, syndicates, melee 2.0, mods 2.0 (all stat mods, little mods that do fun and quirky things with gameplay) are all undeveloped and reek of "oh cool, let's add that!" I love Warframe and I love DE, but I really feel like they'd be better served taking the time to flesh out any of these very promising and creative ideas they've sparked but not committed to.

Some good points, some not so good points (I love interception lol) and some somewhat rude sounding points... but my question is.... What was the point of this? Just feedback or are you asking DE to go back and rethink some of the old additions they made?

Basically to vent because I have no drive to play the new update and I've been playing/following the game since closed beta. I've really always looked forward to trying out the new updates for warframe and I love watching all the livestreams and seeing whats coming. I get excited each time and then I finally get to try the update and I just realize I'm playing the same game each time but with more grind and more pretty levels and weapons. 

I am really bored running the Corpus/Grineer ship tile sets.  After doing 4 invasions this weekend (2 on Phobos and 2 on Sedna) I never want to see the Corpus ship tileset with its 50000 cameras, or the grineer ship/mining maps with their 80000 arc traps.

I don't know if Arc traps are randomly spawned, but I think they are, and their placement is often asinine (seriously? an arc trap on a door and it doesn't go away after you kill it so you have to run around it through the open door even though the arc trap is dead?)

I agree the Codex sucks.  Having to scan every freaking enemy is a stupid waste of time and I hate it and I don't do it and I just look on the wiki if I really need to know.

I'm annoyed how there are 5 different types of swords, but the game doesn't tell you what kind it is.  You only learn based on the animation/moveset, which means you have no way of knowing the Nami Solo is a machete until you've crafted it.  There needs to be some kind of descriptor in smaller text or brackets "Nami Solo[Machete]" so you know what you're making before you get it.  I figured since the Skana and the Galatine use both hands, they'd both use a sword stance mod.  I was mistaken, but having a weapon-type under the weapon name is something that is LONG overdue.

I'm really tired of the procedurally-generated maps.  I understand that you guys are working on this procedurally-generated tileset mentality, and I think that was fine for the earlier iterations of WF.  The game is growing and expanding now.  Hire a level designer.  Or, if those are the folks who are in charge of designing the tile sets, reassign them to building actual levels.  I'd like for Mercury and Saturn to look different.  I think you (DE) do, too.  New tile sets won't fix this problem, we need actual, distinct levels.  If we're looking at the solar system and we're looking at planetary scale, one square mile of each world is not going to suffice anymore.

I understand that everything in containers is randomly spawned based on the drop tables, but when there are areas of the map that I need to wall-run through a window, and unlock a door from  the other side, I expect unlocked lockers and good stuff inside.  24-150 credits won't do.  This complaint was addressed slightly in the gatecrasher missions, having to explore the void for hidden caches.  I'd like to see more of that, honestly.

One thing I DO like (I hate to be all criticism) is this one tile on phobos where it's this expansive desert with 2 or 3 outposts.  I felt like I was actually exploring a planet, even for a few minutes, and I'd love to see more of that.  This is where having a level designer and building actual distinct levels would really come in handy.

I'm sure there's more, but I think I've vented enough for now.

I really do appreciate the feedback and I can completely agree with the whole nami solo thing. It would also be great if they put what level mastery was required for whatever weapons you were building into the foundry. Its sort of a mystery for new players and I wouldn't want to be the guy that went out of his way to build something for several days on end only to find out that he wasn't even high enough mastery rank to use the thing.

I recommend reading the lore behind limbo before calling for bloodshed.

No amount of lore can cover up the fact that its extremely lazy and uninspiring to look at. If they keep putting in warframes with ridiculous designs and trying to cover it up with lore it further increases the fact that the lore is a complete joke. If you had a Mr. T frame and then tried to build lore around it, it wouldn't change the fact that its Mr. T frame. All lore would do is enforce the fact that they're trying desperately to come up with ideas and resulting to jokes to add fluff to the game.

Edited by grillv20

Wow harsh... But not totally wrong.

New frames tend to go to the miscellaneous category now.(Pirate,jester,magician)

Warframe lost its Update7 & before mood. It was much darker back then. I'd lik to see this brought back aswell.

Stealth... Aaah stealth...Where is it gonna be a real thing? For one year I haven't stopped telling to improve that aspect,but your content cycle is quite accurate,sadly.

Hey new shiny stuff! >> Let's fix it. >> Other new shiny stuff! >> Lets fix it. (that's what new devstreams look like)

However,the arrival of Proxy wars,in other words Syndicates prove that old issues aren't being put into a corner until nobody remembers it. :p

Let's hope grill,there still is some.

• 4 weeks later...

Well as the first guy mentioned, some good points and some not so good points.

I think one of the things DE suffers from is a lack of focus. They have this massive vision for Warframe, and they're in such a rush to put in all the cool things they have planned out that they forget to slow down every once and a while. It's partucularly obvious in some of the places you pointed out, like the derelicts and nightmare mode. In theory they're a good idea, and they both seem like cool things to have, at least in concept. However it feels like after that concept got created everyone got distracted by the next cool concept and forgot that the last one wasn't quite fully fleshed out.

The art stuff and overall direction stuff is a bit iffy. Won't touch on that. It's hard to make an objective analysis of things like that when they're by nature subjective.

Basically, what I'd like is not less development, or slower development, but just more focused development. Warframe as a game is in a weird place right now, and it's going to take some work to get it all working right. Luckily, DE is one of the few studios I think is capable of that.

Its really a shame though when it comes to seeing the new stuff put in the game and all the effort the put into doing it. They really do spend SO much time creating and getting the new stuff out there. I really wonder how much life they could breathe into older facets of the game in the course of time they spend creating the newer stuff. You would think that they could go back and work on older parts of the game and get a lot more done technically since its already there and there really isn't a whole lot of "creating" going on. The problem with that thought though is really just about how many people they have from a particular team to get all of that work done that needs to be done.

I mean, they can go back and focus on certain things but if the man power isn't there then its just a crappy situation to be in on their side. Hopefully though they're able to get more help with working on the game since they've got all this chinese money floating around now? /shrug

Edited by grillv20

I mean, they can go back and focus on certain things but if the man power isn't there then its just a crappy situation to be in on their side. Hopefully though they're able to get more help with working on the game since they've got all this chinese money floating around now? /shrug

Well if the official website is any indication it seems like they just hired a bunch of new employees...

Warframe has a lot of problems.

Bad devs is not one of those problems.

Warframe has a lot of problems but the devs who made the game isn't part of the problem? Wow. I'm personally not convinced, but we'll see in due time. Either they'll break, or Warframe will get better. Won't disrespect your opinion.

Edited by TheDoctah

I didn't read the whole thing, and some of these points did feel rather... agressive, but to be truthfully honest, it's really what bugs me all the time. There are so many things that they need to work on, instead of new content. Their new content for U16 could be revamps of old systems and it might be just as successful at bringing new players in as some little content that no one pays attention to a month after release. I still have yet to go back to archwing because the amount of bugs, parkour still is a bad system that needs to be fleshed out further, and balance is still a huge problem. I don't feel like I have complete freedom of choice when it comes to end-game builds because there are weapons/frames/mods that are CLEARLY more powerful than others that come to certain situations (warframes not so much, it tends to be the problem of "not powerful enough (ember, saryn, mag, etc).

I didn't read the whole thing, and some of these points did feel rather... agressive, but to be truthfully honest, it's really what bugs me all the time. There are so many things that they need to work on, instead of new content. Their new content for U16 could be revamps of old systems and it might be just as successful at bringing new players in as some little content that no one pays attention to a month after release. I still have yet to go back to archwing because the amount of bugs, parkour still is a bad system that needs to be fleshed out further, and balance is still a huge problem. I don't feel like I have complete freedom of choice when it comes to end-game builds because there are weapons/frames/mods that are CLEARLY more powerful than others that come to certain situations (warframes not so much, it tends to be the problem of "not powerful enough (ember, saryn, mag, etc).

Yeah, I'm pretty opinionated but I at least tried to make some points lol.

Sadly Warframe will never satisfy and please everyone's expectations, you happen to fall into this category.

I happen to enjoy interception, it's a change from the trench runs.

Codex Scanner? Again it's for convince sake, you don't have to touch it. You do have Google.

Dojo? Eh, it's cool I guess to prat about in, not really bothered about how it looks. I just want my new gear from it, so it does it's job.

Ancients are what they are, they're ancients of the technocyte virus, so it would morph eventually?

Void gear? Stop running yourself dry, I waited for Nyx Prime to come out before I farmed Rhino Prime parts. (Drop rate increases with new primes added.)

Derelicts? Risk/Reward. Can be tedious but whatever.

Art Direction? Each to their own taste.

The future? Ok this is kind of where I draw the line, it's almost rude now. I can tell you one issue with the game, it's the playerbase. People rush through the levels? People don't like it. The AI get's a accuracy buff, suddenly people get salty. Can't go sonic fast without dying? Woops.

Claiming the devs don't have a clue? Maybe sometimes they don't, but that's the art of making a game. You don't know what's going to happen sometimes. This is perhaps the toughest time for them, how can they balance the game without screwing up? If anything I'd say re-work the movement and damage system. Once you acquired your "endgame" build all of the sudden, noting seems "hard" anymore.

THAT is a player issue for not giving themselves challenges, you got a wide range of weapons and frames to prat about with. Honestly if you're aiming to kill everything fast I'm not surprised you don't like what's going on. I can't tell you how to do it, you need to work this out for yourself.

If this really gets to you, go build a portfolio and apply to DE. I can assure you there are thousands of game makers who would shoot each other dead to be sitting where DE is right now. People are just entitled because they expect it to be exactly how they want it to be, just like all them bloody film critics.

Warframe has a lot of problems but the devs who made the game isn't part of the problem? Wow. I'm personally not convinced, but we'll see in due time. Either they'll break, or Warframe will get better. Won't disrespect your opinion.

wow this thread is really harsh.....i agree that the core gameplay needs to be improved but adding new content is also important when it comes to F2P games. i love that despite all the bugs that come into the game DE is still working hard and they squash the bugs as quickly as they can. there will always be bugs when an update is sent out because the dev team can't possibly find them all so it's up to us the players to play and report them in the most mature and clear way.

also

i love interception! idk what your talking about you must be intercepting wrong :P

Sadly Warframe will never satisfy and please everyone's expectations, you happen to fall into this category.

I happen to enjoy interception, it's a change from the trench runs.

Codex Scanner? Again it's for convince sake, you don't have to touch it. You do have Google.

Dojo? Eh, it's cool I guess to prat about in, not really bothered about how it looks. I just want my new gear from it, so it does it's job.

Ancients are what they are, they're ancients of the technocyte virus, so it would morph eventually?

Void gear? Stop running yourself dry, I waited for Nyx Prime to come out before I farmed Rhino Prime parts. (Drop rate increases with new primes added.)

Derelicts? Risk/Reward. Can be tedious but whatever.

Art Direction? Each to their own taste.

The future? Ok this is kind of where I draw the line, it's almost rude now. I can tell you one issue with the game, it's the playerbase. People rush through the levels? People don't like it. The AI get's a accuracy buff, suddenly people get salty. Can't go sonic fast without dying? Woops.

Claiming the devs don't have a clue? Maybe sometimes they don't, but that's the art of making a game. You don't know what's going to happen sometimes. This is perhaps the toughest time for them, how can they balance the game without screwing up? If anything I'd say re-work the movement and damage system. Once you acquired your "endgame" build all of the sudden, noting seems "hard" anymore.

THAT is a player issue for not giving themselves challenges, you got a wide range of weapons and frames to prat about with. Honestly if you're aiming to kill everything fast I'm not surprised you don't like what's going on. I can't tell you how to do it, you need to work this out for yourself.

If this really gets to you, go build a portfolio and apply to DE. I can assure you there are thousands of game makers who would shoot each other dead to be sitting where DE is right now. People are just entitled because they expect it to be exactly how they want it to be, just like all them bloody film critics.

well said +1

A number of things you say are quite uncontroversial.

Yes, Aura mods are mostly useless (most people run Energy Siphon or Rejuvenation, with some Corrosive Projections in the void). Yes, the Nightmare Mode is... lackluster - even the super-rare mods can be obtained just by waiting for a Nightmare Alert that guarantees that card. Yes, resource drones are underwhelming. Yes, Codex scans feel a little bit pointless.

However, none of this things perturbs how I enjoy the game. I'm happy to play the game without completing my Codex, and I'm happy to leave my five resource collectors to collect dust in my inventory. I don't do Aura alerts and I don't do Nightmare mode unless I want a challenge.

I disagree on Interception missions. I really like them. The community seems to be harshly divided on the subject - some people seem to hate them, some really enjoy them.

For the rest... yes, rare drops are rare. No, you are not forced to collect them. The Void and the Derelict is ok. I would love to see new tilesets in the Void - they keep remaking old rooms, but I really would like to see something new.

As for the art assets, I disagree. I like the new art assets. In the beginning it was simpler because in the beginning they didn't have time to put too much detail, as there was lots to do. Now they can spend weeks rendering the folds of the coat of the new Warframes. In general the community doesn't mind, though, except rare occasions.