Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing Concepts - New Choices + New Pilot Variety Encouragement (I.e, How To Use Loki On Archwing)

Worker_Prime

I know many of you guys are still suffering from the crazy lag spikes introduced with U15. Believe me, I feel ya. Hang in there, guys.

However, for the rest of us, the Archwing repertoire is woefully small - only two Archwings, one well-rounded, the other extremely pyrotechnic. Thing is, some of us like to play Loki, or Vauban, or Frost, but are forced to use one of two Archwings with abilities that a Loki would probably disapprove of. 

In order to make Archwing fabulous for the stealth lovers and the defensive, I propose 2 new Archwings - a Stealth/ECM archwing and a powerful Trap/Support Archwing.

Here they are, folks. Try not to eat my brains, will you?

Stealth Archwing - Culicid

The Culicid is focused around being able to disable and redirect enemies instead of outright killing them - an invaluable asset when facing larger numbers. 

In real life, we humans haven't yet invented cloaking devices for our planes yet. Instead, we rely on deflecting radio signatures so that said planes can't be easily detected. ECM and other electronic warfare options also have found a role in hiding planes and soldiers so they can approach. 

The Culicid combines a Loki's invisibility and speed with some Vauban-like disables for a interesting playstyle.

Ability 1 - Radar Shadow - 25

The Culicid Archwing deploys a decoy as well as turning invisible. The decoy travels forward at exactly the same speed you were travelling whilst deploying it. All enemies currently aggro'd on you will turn their attentions to the decoy - this means missiles, Dreg lasers, Penta grenades, yes, even Locust Drones will switch targets to the decoy. You can then make your way to safety or engage the enemy while invisible. Note that the cloak will disengage if the decoy is defeated, however Power Strength mods can increase its survivability. 

Ability 2 - Stasis Mine - 25

The Archwing deploys a bubble of electrical energy behind it. The bubble is stationary and persists for around 30 seconds. When an enemy comes near it, it releases a jolt of electricity, disabling the enemy for 4-5 seconds. It may only shock one enemy once - however, the range at which it can shock is wide. It carries 15 charges at max rank, and automatically disappears when the charges run out.

Ability 3 - Sensor Warp - 25

The Archwing creates a field of white noise around it, shorting-out enemy targeting and communications systems. This ability works similarly to Zephyr's Turbulence in that it reduces accuracy of hitscan weapons and redirects non-hitscan weapons, such as missiles. 

Ability 4 - Scrambler - 25

The Archwing sends out a haunting transmission to all nearby enemies. Enemies affected by the transmission will be stunned for a short duration, and then will proceed to flee. Enemies close to the fleeing enemies will also be affected by the transmission - meaning that affected enemies can spread the broadcast to other enemies outside of the original transmission's range. The whole broadcast lasts for 15-20 seconds and all affected enemies return to normal at the end of the broadcast.

Defensive/Support Archwing - Dipteris

The Dipteris is all about defense - holding and locking down areas so enemies cannot enter. Area denial, target support, and friendly support is its specialty. 

The theory behind the Dipteris is based on ships - namely, Star Wars-esque ships. Along with the cruisers and whatnot, there were also the support vessels - the logistic ships that fixed shields and restored supplies, the minelayers, and the ECM vessels. (Yes, I played EVE, thanks for asking.)

The Dipteris is focused on supporting allies and interception points, while denying the same luxuries to its enemies. 

Ability 1 - Minefield - 10

The Dipteris deploys a number of mines in a random configuration around it. The area in which mines can be deployed is represented by a sphere. Due to the spammability of this ability, minefields can be quickly and easily created to seal off access points and deny beacons to enemies. Once an enemy gets close to a mine, it will detonate, destroying it and anyone else unlucky enough to be caught in the explosion. 

Ability 2 - Defense Grid - 15 + 2/sec

The Dipteris creates a sphere of protection around itself. Note that this sphere is wider that the Elytron ultimate's AoE. As long as the Archwing can supply the sphere with energy, enemies within the sphere receive a debuff to their shields and armor, and any launched enemy missiles will be intercepted by a missile from the Dipteris. Missiles fire automatically.

Here's where it gets interesting. Unranked, Defense Grid's missiles cost 30 energy to fire, but at max rank they cost a meagre 5. When fired, they will attempt to shoot down the locked-on missile/Penta round/Quanta box. If they succeed in impacting the projectile, they explode, destroying the missile, any nearby enemies, and saving lives.

Ability 3 - Target Painter - 10 + 2/sec

The Dipteris marks a target with a high-energy laser. The beam itself does a small amount of damage over time, but the amount is negligible. What really matters, however, is that the marked enemy will take drastically more damage - I'm thinking 500%+. Also, the marked enemies will have bubbles surrounding them that act sort of like Mag's Bullet Attractor - pulling in Imperator rounds and Corvas shrapnel, and redirecting enemy and friendly missiles. 

Target Painter can be used on multiple enemies, but at an increasing energy drain rate. 

Ability 4 - Fortify - 25 + 3/6/9/12/sec

I'm a bit worried about this one, although Rhino players will love it.

The Dipteris sends a surge of energy through itself and any nearby Warframes, adding another layer of protection above their shields and health. As long as the affected Warframes stay close to the Dipteris, this "overshield" will not expire. The Dipteris's own overshield also will not expire. However, the energy drain goes up the more Warframes are affected by this ability. 

When the Dipteris cancels the ability or runs out of energy, the Fortification acts like Iron Skin - absorbing a set amount of damage before expiring.

New Archwing Idea - Interceptor

Interceptors are used in the real world to attack and redirect strategic aerial maneuvers such as bombing runs. An Interceptor Archwing would be focused on burst damage - being able to take down the intercepted quickly and efficiently, with little damage on its part. It has to be nimble, and as a result of that has to sacrifice some of its shields and armor in order to go as fast as it would like. 

Interceptor/Burst Assassin Archwing - Costalis

Ability 1 - Overdrive - 10 + 2/sec

The Archwing funnels its energy into its propulsion systems, moving extremely quickly but losing shield integrity and energy in order to keep up with the drain. Any enemy that makes contact is blown away by the force of the charge.

Ability 2 -

Ability 3 -

Ability 4 - Multislash - 10 + 10 per enemy

The Archwing channels energy into its sword, doing an Ash and teleporting to nearby enemies, slashing them with its blade. Enemies receive more damage the more enemies are killed. 

New Pilot Variety Encouragement:

One of the complaints about Archwing is its pilots - with Rhino holding a high majority due to his epic shield levels. I don't think this is what DE intended - a heavy, muscular pilot on a tiny set of wings. In order to encourage the usage of alternative frames like Excalibur or Loki, I propose the Archwing Polarity Match system - details below.

This system involves locking two of the Archwing's mod slots. Warframes will also gain two slots - however no mods can be placed into them. The sole purpose of these secondary slots is to interface with the Archwing. 

Simply put -

Let's say Excalibur has two secondary slots, both V-attack polarities. He wants to fly an Odonata. The Odonata's two locked mod slots are also V-attack polarities. That means that Excalibur can placed extra Archwing mods on the two polarized slots, and thus increase the overall firepower and abilities of his Archwing.

Let's also say that Rhino also wants to fly the Odonata. However, Rhino only has one V polarity, the other being a D-defense polarity. That's okay, Rhino can still fly the Odonata, but at the cost of one mod slot. That means he only has seven slots for his mods instead of eight.

Finally, we have Vauban, who also wants to fly the Odonata. He has two Dash-tactics polarities in his secondary slots. Since the Odanata's unlockable slots lack Dash polarities, Vauban must fly the Archwing with only six mods instead of the usual eight, hindering his performance. 

You can polarize these slots with Forma - the same rules apply. If you want to use Rhino with a stealth Archwing, you have to first make him compatable. 

In order to make all frames open to all players, the BP you get from the Archwing introductory mission won't be mailed by Lotus - instead it will be found inside the Orokin Cache you open after defeating the Lynx. What BP you get depends on the secondary polarities of the Warframe used - a Rhino would get a Elytron BP, an Excalibur an Odonata, and so on, ad nauseum. 

This will encourage usage of more than just Rhino. 

Edited by Worker_Prime

For a stealth Archwing, stealth actually has to be working - lets focus on the main game getting that right first :)

I was thinking more Loki-esque stealth than anything really. Not stealth as in Mastery 9 test stealth, but invis/smokescreen/superjump invs stealth.

even if you get a "stealth Archwing" loki would still be a poor choice of frame, because you get health, shields, armor, and energy only from the frame, the only "smart" choices right now are Rhino/Primo, Frost/Prime, Valkyr (maybe) Saryin, and maybe Oberon. any squishy frame out there with an archwing is a poor choice because it gimps you but doesn't ive any advantage, it sucks... but it is what it is right now.

And if the Archwing itself would give you stealth abilities then you could just use it with any frame making the choice of loki even more "incorrect".

I wish they do something about it because i really don't like the fact that there is no much to choose from, i mean thinking strategically.

You can continue to choose based on aesthetic off course, i wish they give squishier frames some advantage over the "smart" choice.

even if you get a "stealth Archwing" loki would still be a poor choice of frame, because you get health, shields, armor, and energy only from the frame, the only "smart" choices right now are Rhino/Primo, Frost/Prime, Valkyr (maybe) Saryin, and maybe Oberon. any squishy frame out there with an archwing is a poor choice because it gimps you but doesn't ive any advantage, it sucks... but it is what it is right now.

And if the Archwing itself would give you stealth abilities then you could just use it with any frame making the choice of loki even more "incorrect".

I wish they do something about it because i really don't like the fact that there is no much to choose from, i mean thinking strategically.

You can continue to choose based on aesthetic off course, i wish they give squishier frames some advantage over the "smart" choice.

What I'm trying to do here is bring Loki's playstyle and abilities into Archwing, not make Loki an actual Archwing pilot. 

Personally I always use Zephyr for Archwing stuff; the starting Archwing- choleoptera, I think- looks like it should be a part of her when you get the colors right, plus 450 base Health and Shields is awesome. That said, I do think they should give a better reason for using one Warframe in Archwing mode over another- whether it be by providing different stat bonuses or just making missions that have you switch between ground and Archwing modes so the powers of both matter for the mission.