Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are You Still Hyped About Archwings?

notionphil

I like it well enough.

It needs better integration with the rest of the game. Presently, it's just sort of "there". You either play this or the regular game. They need to be continuous.

Also, that would at least partially cure the issue of using just heavy 'frames and packing them with shield and health mods. If you has to run a mission or two with that 'frame before and/or after you don your archwing, you wouldn't see so single-minded of a build--and you'd see more 'frames.

My thoughts on it, I definitely think there is something lacking... I can't put my finger on it, however.. do I find it fun?  ABSOLUTELY, IMO if you haven't built one you are missing out, and if you feel that you aren't missing out yet after playing it (just the initial quest mission was epic enough to sell me on it) .... you probably will be in the future when they get all the bugs ironed out and really start expanding upon it.

One thing I like and dislike at the same time (which is odd).  But in a squad of 4, you never feel "together"  But I also like how BIG it feels.  I don't know if there is a way to make it feel so fast paced and huge while at the same time making squadmates appear "bigger" or something on your screen.  It seems like I am always just looking at a huge explosion and a bunch of little tiny icons.  It is extremely disorienting at first (Space would be very disorienting)  and I love that about it.  My gripe is simply with how small my teamates are/ how far away they seem, yet I blast to them for 1 second and over-shoot them by about 600 kilometers.  (but the speed is good).  

That above paragraph is so garbled and mixed, because that is exactly how I feel about archwing, I love it. However, there certain things that I don't like about it which I'm not sure could be changed without severely hurting what I love so much about it.  (They are minor things however - and I will adapt.)  

TL:DR:  If you haven't built an Archwing yet, DO IT!!! at least to try it, even if you don't plan on using it much... you might really like it.  -- worse case scenario, you don't play it again....  ?

I tried it with Nyx, my favorite frame and pretty much the only one I play nowadays.

Got slaughtered in less than a minute.

I really don't want to have to play a different frame just because DE can't figure out how to put the armor on the archwing itself instead of just relying on the frame's armor.  

I love DE but that's dumb.  Just dumb.

Am I the only one that thinks enemy flying speed is just too much?

I thought Tenno are ninja, agility masters but those grinner are moving sooo fast...

I can "sprint" in space and yet enemy just catch up with no problem and shoot me at the same time.. what?

I can see them flying to point A so I fly behind them and they keep increasing the distance...

Yes I am...

Well, I was never hyped... I looked forward and was intrigued more than squealing like a little fangirl at a Bieber's concert...

But I'm enjoying the Archwings, I know that there's much to fix and I'm looking forward for that moment when the fixes will come...

Looking forward for the moment when I'd be able to fight a LARGE boss battle in orbit...

Past experience has taught me that DE come up with excellent ideas but tend to fall flat when it comes time to follow through, so I wasn't really hyped in the first place. Now that I've had a chance to play it I'm still not hyped. The actual game mechanics are enjoyable, but the lack of steady progression within the game mode (whatever happened to providing starter mods, DE? You learned that lesson once and then promptly forgot it) as well as the lack of connection to the real/main game (I can do Archwing missions, or I can do things that will actually progress me in the real game) just make it not worth the time spent on it. 

I already farmed the stuff I needed for Limbo, and I probably won't touch Archwing missions again until they get a decent rework. 

Finally got past the super-no-fun interception to get Limbo (due to pure luck) and I'm done until there are a _lot_ of fixes. It's just painful to play Archwing missions right now. The screen shake has barely been touched. and... oh I can't be bothered to list the architectural problems again.

Anyway, I hope it get fixed because it was a nice idea that is currently zero fun.

Edited by SilentMobius

Honestly, I do not like it. 

The HUD aimpoint graphic makes it difficult to aim.   The terrain/space leaves me exposed to too much swarm damage, and lately (ground or space) the enemy seem to be badly clumped --- do an exterminate now (ground) and there will be 25-30 in one room, then nothing, then 2 guys, then 30 more in another room.   Archwing is the same, fly out and get hit by 10 things with little to no cover, and a lot of the cover breaks up if hit. 

On top of that, I have gotten a total of 1 mod so far...  well, 4 if you count fusion cores.  But 1 AW mod.  

Personally, I enjoyed it - actually I thought it was freaking awesome when I played it, and can't wait to see, what this can BECOME. Because as it is now, it's just not enough, and it doesn't feel rewarding at all in terms of mods, loot and xp. Which brings me to my biggest gripe, and has been stated here already. The mods. Let me say this DE - if u create something like this, and ur first mission/quest (Limbo) is a level 20'ish mission, have the fcking courtesy to drop some mods for me, so I stand a chance. I am seriously not in the mood, to grind my Archwing up, just so I can grind again, to grind for my warframe... No DE, NO!

On a positive side note - loving the Sonic feeling when flying in tight coridors.

Nope, I was never hyped, and it is worse than I feared.

I described it as "dull" in Clan chat yesterday, and a clannie corrected me, it's actually "tedious".

I know it's new, I know it will be added to, but its just not fun in the same way that Warframe can be.

You are just so disconnected from things, dots in the distance shooting dots at you, enemies look like blobs, no real sense of speed.

Combat is dull, you fly somewhere, stop, shoot, fly somewhere else.

It's not dogfighting in space, it is floaty jetpacks in space, and feels like a mini game.

I've managed 4 or 5 missions, and just given up, even accepting that means I won't get Limbo.

Sorry, I know DE put a lot of work into it, but I just can't get past how all that effort could have been better spent on the core game.

I've played a handful of archwing missions, and if feels very promising. I like having that mode as a backup, or another thing to do. Perhaps some of the folks who are complaining about the mode need to go out for some Vitamin D? Anyway, as with anything in this game it is a Beta, and things will get better with time I suppose.

Archwing stuff need a major rework.   Things like floor/ceiling should not exist. Loot must be bigger and magnetised. Meele is also.....Too easy to use. That autogapcloser sux. No aim required...just mash [e] and everything in range dies.  Damn, collecting loot is harder than meele fight. Thats just wrong. They just added an unfinished game mode.

I say archwing is in ALPHA now. Not even BETA.

I mean so far Archwing is THE worst Mecha game I have ever played.  With that said it is also just a part of a bigger game and so I really don't blame it or even fault it for that. However I also don't believe DE understand what's the core essences of these type of games that makes it unique and good.  

For most of them, the action is a lot faster, a lot more spectacular.  You have more effective dodges with lenient i-frames; target locks so you can focus on movement, when to shoot and where to shoot from, rather than having to deal with manual aiming and while also have to dodge hitscan weapons.  

Then there are slower pace ones that focus a bit more on realism.  Those have much slower movement but they are also big and decisive.  A single hit means a lot but they are slower or just obvious on how to dodge them.  But what it really is is that it is methodically, rather than reactionary.  

And then there's Archwing, which is neither.  The dodge is a joke in terms of distance it covers and the speed of it, there are no i-frames, it does not really make it harder for enemies to aim at you because they are either rapid-fire hitscan weapons, or they are able to readjust their aim quickly.  The visual indications of projectile is not clear enough.  And when it knocks you off, you have no i-frames to recover.  Every action game that allows knocked downed players to still receive damage have some kind of mechanics to allow you to neglect it either directly or otherwise.  There's timed quickstands, there's limitors or scaling damage, etc.  Again Warframe don't have that on the ground or in Archwing.  And I'm still baffled by that to this day.

All of that combines with the fact that there's manual aiming guns and auto aiming melee attacks.  Guess what is the most effective weapon right now?  That's right, melee.  Why?  Because I can move, dodge quickly without having to suffer from poor aim.  I don't need to zoom in and hold down sight to hit anything, I just need to be close enough.  That means I can avoid damage while dealing them.  That's how Mecha games work and that is why melee works in Archwing and guns don't at the moment.     

On the topic of dodge.  We are in space, there are no cover for the most part.  Yet they didn't bother to change how dodge works in this game?  On the ground we at least have cover to avoid damage.  The roll on ground is borderline useless because of the lack of i-frames, but at least we have covers.  In space, the dodge remain ineffective, yet we have to use it because that is the only legit way to avoid damage.  There is something wrong with that. 

Basically what I'm saying is if you just put Warframe in free flowing space, you can't expect the mechanics will hold up to industry standards.  For someone like me who have played these kind of games for many years, Archwing is a joke.  And I haven't even gone into the RPG side of things, but the gameplay itself is weak and it needs a lot of work.